• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

I feel like its a "Divers Anonymous" meeting.

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#16 duganalexzander

duganalexzander

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Cert Level:1
  • Logged Dives:-1

Posted 28 March 2011 - 03:06 PM

Its completely unrelated to scuba, but some of my fellow physics majors proposed that we all go sky diving sometime. Now, with my luck as amazing as it is, i'd suffer a primary chute failure and get the secondary open at the last second. Alternatively, we'd all hit the ground and die. This, of course, would entail some amazing headlines to the effect of "Group of physicists fail to understand gravity! Not so smart after all."

#17 TXAggieDiver

TXAggieDiver

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:we're supposed to track of that @#!$ ?

Posted 28 March 2011 - 03:13 PM

Its completely unrelated to scuba, but some of my fellow physics majors proposed that we all go sky diving sometime. Now, with my luck as amazing as it is, i'd suffer a primary chute failure and get the secondary open at the last second. Alternatively, we'd all hit the ground and die. This, of course, would entail some amazing headlines to the effect of "Group of physicists fail to understand gravity! Not so smart after all."

HA!!! Oh so your full of jokes you'll fit right in with this crowd.
Make sure you never run out of Erica!

#18 duganalexzander

duganalexzander

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 05:52 PM

I'm looking forward to it! I've found divers, especially wreck & ccr divers, to have this deliciously macabre sense of humor and I love it. I need to poke around the forums more when I don't have 3 exams and a paper due in the next three days, but i'm wondering what information i'm better off finding on SD as opposed to scubaboard.com (the other diver forum that I read).

#19 duganalexzander

duganalexzander

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 05:53 PM

ok.. the formating on that last post failed. Just because i'm a physicist doesn't mean I know how to use a computer.

• Guests

Posted 28 March 2011 - 06:47 PM

I'm looking forward to it! I've found divers, especially wreck & ccr divers, to have this deliciously macabre sense of humor and I love it. I need to poke around the forums more when I don't have 3 exams and a paper due in the next three days, but i'm wondering what information i'm better off finding on SD as opposed to scubaboard.com (the other diver forum that I read).

Well first off, this board is more of a social area for divers as opposed to the high adrenaline dive dive dive and don't waste my time with anything else style of scubaboard so you can basically be yourself here and not worry about being flamed by 18 people in 5 minutes . That is nice. The members vary from experienced tech divers to newbies but almost everyone gets along. Want to know something? Just ask a question and you'll get fair answers. There are tons of threads already out there. If you'll note... the forums are called Surface Interval because that is basically what its like here. We're just people hanging out shooting the breeze between dives waiting for the next chance to go diving. Some threads are just jokes, some are about being single, and a few are about the superbowl... but most are about diving and generally people are respectful. Just keep in mind that sooner or later all the people that post eventually meet each other in person so being anonymous doesn't really work for long here. That kind of makes the dynamic a little different than scubaboard.

Welcome aboard, personally I'm an engineer and I seem to get along ok so surely a physicist can also. Hey, you might even get my jokes :) You are off to a good start, thats for sure :)

#21 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:448

Posted 28 March 2011 - 07:27 PM

ok.. the formating on that last post failed. Just because i'm a physicist doesn't mean I know how to use a computer.

No worries! That's what we Moderators are for.....to fix blatant typo's, and quote errors. Among other things, of course! :teeth:
Posted Image

#22 duganalexzander

duganalexzander

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 08:10 PM

Thanks guys, I've refrained from commenting on scubaboard for my anti-flaying lifestyle choice. Its nice to feel welcome.

#23 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,590 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 29 March 2011 - 11:11 AM

Welcome Will! So ya gotta tell me your screen name is NOT your real name...actually do that via email just in case it is...but either way we request you not use screen names that are your real name as we DO try to protect your privacy as much as possible!

Are you the guy that bought the t-shirt from me at the show? Yes I am one of the blue hair gals...mine was ALL blue and Erica's was part natural part of the show and part blue and black the other part of the show!

Will you WILL fit in perfectly here! Great sense of humor...a TRUE diveaholic and smart and funny. Whoops I mentioned the funny part twice...guess that means its TWICE as nice! ;)

Scott aka Cmdr Clownfish did a great job explaining that we are NOT the absolute end all answer to any question you ask...but you won't get told to look up the answer either cuz chances are it hasn't been posted 200 times before. And well...that's kind of nice.

You will find we are a travel/dive club FIRST and so many posts are about our great trips we take as GROUP or activities we run as a GROUP or ways we use to meet each other as a GROUP!!! The idea as Scott said is to ultimately meet as many members as you can and put the SOCIAL aspects of diving BACK INTO DIVING!!!

So perhaps you'll meet enough members here that you won't have to dive solo anymore cuz you don't have a buddy. Do be careful as you show you only have 25 dives logged...and you should consider the solo certification course if you truly do plan to dive solo most of the time. It would a tremendous waste for that great brain of yours to be wasted due to a diving accident. :tears:

If you local diveshop has you hooked up with the gear you want to buy...AWESOME!!! If we can help please let us know. We are AVID fans of backplates and wings...they make excellent travel bc's as well as all the other advantages they offer. Great decision on your part!~ :respect:

Keep poking around...if you find an old thread that you want to comment on...please do! Its like seeing an old friend again! If want to start a new thread...please do! Its like meeting a new friend.

And I hope that you enjoy our site as much as we have apparently been enjoying you! - Kamala aka WreckWench

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#24 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,590 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 11:19 AM

No worries! That's what we Moderators are for.....to fix blatant typo's, and quote errors. Among other things, of course! :teeth:

They ALSO enforce our TOS/SiteGuidelines/Rules so that our community STAYS friendly! Our rules protect you and us...and we take great pride in being fair as well as honest enough to post the rules openly, enforce them fairly and not change them constantly to meet a whim or suit a personal vendetta. We even have a feedback loop if you think a rule has been enforced unfairly or one of the staff has acted inappropriately. That feedback loop is here.

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#25 Neptuner

Neptuner

I spend too much time on line

• Business Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,527 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:300+ and counting!

Posted 29 March 2011 - 03:58 PM

Hi Will! Welcome to the SD.com group! This is an awesome group of divers and an even better bunch of friends (as you are already finding out)!

I graduated from my Scuba Support class a few years back with flying colors and was sooooooo happy that I started writing songs about Scuba diving to spread my message all around the world. I've changed my name to "The Scuba Cowboy" now and I play for my dive buddies every chance I get. Some have told me that the Scuba Music or what I like to call "Scubaribbean" tunes have helped them get through those tough dry spells without water, so if there is ever anything I can do to help, don't hesitate to ask!

TheScubaCowboy
Buy the special SingleDivers.com version of my SCUBA MUSIC CD "Just A Scuba Cowboy" here for only $15 with savings on multiple copies... each one is personally autographed and it's the perfect gift for divers and non-divers alike!

#26 duganalexzander

duganalexzander

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 05:30 PM

Welcome Will! So ya gotta tell me your screen name is NOT your real name...actually do that via email just in case it is...but either way we request you not use screen names that are your real name as we DO try to protect your privacy as much as possible!

Are you the guy that bought the t-shirt from me at the show? Yes I am one of the blue hair gals...mine was ALL blue and Erica's was part natural part of the show and part blue and black the other part of the show!

Will you WILL fit in perfectly here! Great sense of humor...a TRUE diveaholic and smart and funny. Whoops I mentioned the funny part twice...guess that means its TWICE as nice! ;)

Scott aka Cmdr Clownfish did a great job explaining that we are NOT the absolute end all answer to any question you ask...but you won't get told to look up the answer either cuz chances are it hasn't been posted 200 times before. And well...that's kind of nice.

You will find we are a travel/dive club FIRST and so many posts are about our great trips we take as GROUP or activities we run as a GROUP or ways we use to meet each other as a GROUP!!! The idea as Scott said is to ultimately meet as many members as you can and put the SOCIAL aspects of diving BACK INTO DIVING!!!

So perhaps you'll meet enough members here that you won't have to dive solo anymore cuz you don't have a buddy. Do be careful as you show you only have 25 dives logged...and you should consider the solo certification course if you truly do plan to dive solo most of the time. It would a tremendous waste for that great brain of yours to be wasted due to a diving accident. :tears:

If you local diveshop has you hooked up with the gear you want to buy...AWESOME!!! If we can help please let us know. We are AVID fans of backplates and wings...they make excellent travel bc's as well as all the other advantages they offer. Great decision on your part!~ :respect:

Keep poking around...if you find an old thread that you want to comment on...please do! Its like seeing an old friend again! If want to start a new thread...please do! Its like meeting a new friend.

And I hope that you enjoy our site as much as we have apparently been enjoying you! - Kamala aka WreckWench

My screen name is most certainly not my real name. If it was, i'd have gotten it changed as soon as I hit 18.

Yes, I was the one that bought the Tshirt from you at the show. Yes that was my last $20, but I think it will be worth it when I wear it to my physics lecture.

Now i'm noticing this consistent GROUP theme here, we dive in a group, we party in a group, we vacation in a group. If you're not careful, people might just think you're friendly. Posted Image

As for my profile, it shows 25-49 logged dives. I went through a period when paperwork was not my thing, thus I have more actual dives then I can prove. Plus, I feel like its cheating if I went back and added a few more to my dive log. I'll just have to make up for it this summer. Besides, if I didn't dive solo; i'd never get in the water, let alone accumulate enough dives to take a TDI trimix course. For now, lets just agree to disagree about my current diving habits as i'm sure they'll change when I meet some more people.

With regards to my gear preferences, I could discuss different setups until the cows come home. As you may have noticed, i'm very enthusiastic about my diving. That being said, I don't have much introduction to the social aspect. The last group dive I was on was for my certification dives.

I'll be in touch, though with exams and such I'll be gone for a couple weeks at a time. Think of me like a herpes outbreak, I'll always come back when you're least expecting me.

#27 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,590 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 08:35 AM

Will...glad the screen name is NOT your real name. Now ya could of gone a bit shorter for the rest of us who need to type it out! LOL!!! ;)

As for the t-shirt...I hope to get that to you this week...better yet hope I have your size and color choice in stock! I will know that this week as well.

Your profile on our site says 25 or 29 logged dives so that is why I said what I said. And while many of us do things that we are not specifically trained for yet... that does not remove the standard of care to advise that you get the appropriate training/certs to do what you are doing. (It would be no different than if you were driving a car without a license. Doesn't mean you can't do it but it does mean that you really need that license to stay out of trouble.) I'm sure you've looked at the Solo course and perhaps have taken it already as I recall one post mentioning it. And I hope you are diving with a stage bottle or an H value just to be safe. While most dives are in a quarry or relatively shallow body of water which means an emergency assent is quite doable in the event of a serious problem...it is very appropriate for you given your desire to move through all the levels of recreational and technical diving that you start doing it right from the beginning.

We will not flay you on this site for what you do or do not do...however you will get a friendly nudge to ensure that you are not doing anything that could kill or hurt you before your reap all the benefits of that degree you are working so hard to complete! ;)

As for popping on the scene between tests and papers...that is cool! With your speed and enthusiasm...we just may need the break between batches of posts to just catch up with you! :teeth:

formerly...

#28 duganalexzander

duganalexzander

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 11:14 AM

Its a nice part of the college lifestyle, I have a lot of 'free' time. Mind you, that gets used for sleeping, studying, eating, or anything that isn't actively attending classes. I'm sure my schedule will be less flexible as I go on in life, but for now I like doing what I want when I want to (or, in the case of my english course, doing what I don't want when I have to).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users