• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

2016 Trip Suggestions.... YEP!!! 2016!!!

• Please log in to reply
99 replies to this topic

#91 sinisa

sinisa

Getting started

• Pip
  • 18 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Rescue, Nitrox, IANTD SM Cave
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 08 April 2015 - 09:32 PM

Just came back from a week long trip in Malta so maybe I can chime in a bit too.

- easy to get to with many cheap flights from major EU cities

- very affordable compared to rest of EU

- locals say they are getting more diving business due to safety concerns in Egypt

- good food, mostly Italian & middle east cuisine

- wetsuit season is relatively short, Jul - Oct according to the locals. It was 57F in March and windy.

- most dives are from shore and requires some driving (or ferry if going from main island to Gozo/Comino)

- most dives are guided, some swimming needed especially to wrecks

- most shops run 2 dives a day, although you can probably do more if unguided

- not as many critters or big animals, but a lot of interesting underwater structures

- a lot of wrecks too

So probably not the best for maxing out # of dives but definitely good place to dive & relax.

• WreckWench likes this

#92 ScubaTex

ScubaTex

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver
  • Logged Dives:720+

Posted 21 April 2015 - 09:17 AM

Let's kill some lionfish!!! There's an NGO operating in Belize, Blue Ventures, during the summers they do lionfish surveys/"culling" for either 7 or 16 days. While their accommodations may not rate a *, and the food is limited to local availability, the attraction is the opportunity to rid  some of the lionfish which are taking over the Caribbean. I've contacted BV, they welcome groups and limit the number of divers to 18. While they have yet to determine the schedule for 2016, they anticipate it will be similar to the 2015 schedule, including the 16 day expedition which includes being 'counters' for a LF tournament in Placencia. Cost: $900 for 7 day & $2,125 for the 16 day expedition.

Cost includes:

• Accommodation for the duration of your stay in beach-front eco-cabins with a maximum of four volunteers per cabin at our dive camp and elsewhere in Placencia, if applicable to your stay
  • Three meals per day including tea and coffee at breakfast and lunch – all meals are prepared by local chefs using fresh local ingredients
  • Transfers between San Pedro and our dive camp at Bacalar Chico at the beginning and end of the week
  • Transfers between Placencia and our dive camp if applicable to your stay
  • Science training with our team of field scientists and researchers
  • PADI scuba tune-up course with dive instructor on arrival
  • Scuba diving
  • Use of our scuba diving equipment including buoyancy control devices (BCDs), regulators, weights and cylinders
  • Comprehensive logistical support and pastoral care from our large team of permanent field staff
  • Health and safety briefings and support from our expedition medics and dive managers

Not included in cost:

• International flights (the nearest international airports are Belize City and Cancun in Mexico)
  • Domestic travel to San Pedro; there is a regular water taxi from Belize City as well as internal flights
  • Entry visa for Belize and any visa extensions
  • Any medications or vaccinations that you require
  • Travel and dive insurance
  • Personal diving equipment: wetsuit, mask, snorkel, fins, watch or dive computer, delayed surface marker buoy, dive torch and underwater slate – we provide detailed guidance on what you need to buy for your expedition
  • Personal field equipment: e.g. sleeping bag and torch
  • Spending money for drinks, snacks and souvenirs
  • Hotel accommodation before and after your expedition dates

So, how about it, want some adventure, want to "cull" some lionfish???

Time on earth is precious, time underwater even more so. Live life one day at a time. Dive your @$$ off!!!

#93 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,590 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 21 April 2015 - 07:18 PM

Been culling them here in Grenada... TASTY TOO!!!!  

Interesting idea Bill... let's see who might be interested. We can also 'cull in Roatan' as well.

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#94 Resqdew

Resqdew

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts
  • Cert Level:Full Cave, Advanced Nitrox, Sidemount, Deco, DPV, etc
  • Logged Dives:2,198++

Posted 01 May 2015 - 10:10 AM

Here's liveaboard information for a suggested trip to dive the Pacific islands of Malpelo (Columbia) & Coiba (Panama), which are not included as dive sites for most boats. They also dive Cocos, but many other larger and more confortable boats dive Cocos.

http://www.coibadive...itions.com/web/

flying into Panama City, Republic of Panama, is easy, but getting to the boat (3 1/2 bust trip) & then motoring to the dive sites (2 days) can be a bit challenging. However, the diving appears to be worth the extra effort. The local park fees for Malpelo are steep -- Malpelo is about $90 per person per dive day; Coiba is $20 per person per trip.

2016, or maybe 2017?

#95 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,590 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 01 May 2015 - 11:19 AM

Coiba has been on my radar for awhile...it would have to be 2017 with so  many big trips in 2016 so far.

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#96 CanadianTraveler

CanadianTraveler

Getting started

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Cert Level:Padi Advanced Open Water
  • Logged Dives:8

Posted 07 September 2015 - 09:04 AM

Hi Everyone!

I am brand new to the site, and am still a very new diver. I just got my Padi Open Water and Advanced Open Water this year. I haven`t been on a dive trip by myself yet - but January 2016 will be the time.

I will be leaving Vietnam on Jan 2 or 3, 2016, and I`d like to go somewhere in Southeast Asia or Indonesia for about a week to go diving. I am interested in the liveaboard option, but I think I`d like a resort of types that includes diving every day.

After a lot of research, I`m considering the Philippines. 

Does anyone have any ideas or recommendations for a solo novice diver at the beginning of JanSpecifically, I`d love any links to dive shops or companies that have packages.

I will be heading to Australia after this trip, as I`ll be living there for a year, so I don`t want to do Australia or New Zealand yet.

Thanks!

Kim

#97 ScubaTex

ScubaTex

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver
  • Logged Dives:720+

Posted 07 September 2015 - 07:23 PM

Hi Everyone!

I am brand new to the site, and am still a very new diver. I just got my Padi Open Water and Advanced Open Water this year. I haven`t been on a dive trip by myself yet - but January 2016 will be the time.

I will be leaving Vietnam on Jan 2 or 3, 2016, and I`d like to go somewhere in Southeast Asia or Indonesia for about a week to go diving. I am interested in the liveaboard option, but I think I`d like a resort of types that includes diving every day.

After a lot of research, I`m considering the Philippines. 

Does anyone have any ideas or recommendations for a solo novice diver at the beginning of JanSpecifically, I`d love any links to dive shops or companies that have packages.

I will be heading to Australia after this trip, as I`ll be living there for a year, so I don`t want to do Australia or New Zealand yet.

Thanks!

Kim

Kim -

Welcome to SingleDivers!!! It appears you will be transtitioning between Vietnam & Australia around the first of the year. Usually, a recommendation of perusing the upcoming "Trips" planned for a dive vacation. I know there aren't any trips scheduled for period when you are moving. What part of Australia are you moving to?

Currently, I'm planning my first trip to the Philippines for Feb. & March, so I don't feel comfortable making a recommendation. I've made a couple of trips to Indonesia, and so far, it's the place I like diving best. I dived from 2 liveaboards, but due to the possibility of extreme currents, including down currents, I suggest you have more experience before making this type of trip. Also from my experience, probably most of the liveaboards for the first part of January 2016 are booked. I suggest you consider Lembeh, which is protected from most currents. I stayed here on my last trip, a family owned and operated resort. Lembeh is a special place, muck diving [fine volcanic black sand], which requires special attention of your fins in order not to disturb it. The best thing about this resort is the 2:1 ratio of divers to a guide, so you'll receive personalized service. I don't know if you need to rent dive gear. I don't believe this resort has rental gear, but if you contact them, they maybe able to arrange obtaining some. There are a number of other resorts in the area, which may have rental gear.

Congratulations, on becoming certified, you'll find peace and wonderment in diving. While I plan and book my own trips, Kamala makes it easy, look at the Maldives trip in 2017.

Good luck, good diving, be safe

Bill

Time on earth is precious, time underwater even more so. Live life one day at a time. Dive your @$$ off!!!

#98 srfireman1

srfireman1

Getting started

• Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Cert Level:basic open water
  • Logged Dives:61

Posted 26 December 2015 - 11:25 PM

I'm looking at cozumel between April - June also would like to try little cayman or grand cayman anyone care to go?

#99 RobMotoColo

RobMotoColo

Getting started

• Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:398 as of 2020

Posted 27 February 2016 - 09:28 AM

I searched the forum for Cuba and the latest discussion seems to be from 2013. Sorry if I'm missing the thread,but is there still a fundamental obstacle? The Spree owner once was keen to go there. Thx

#100 dive_sail_etc

dive_sail_etc

Admin, TC, Charlie and Bottle Washer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,125 posts
  • Board Status:Usually check in daily
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:1200+

Posted 27 February 2016 - 09:56 AM

I searched the forum for Cuba and the latest discussion seems to be from 2013. Sorry if I'm missing the thread,but is there still a fundamental obstacle? The Spree owner once was keen to go there. Thx

Hi Robert (and welcome back by the looks of things!). :welcome: Follow this link to the latest on the Cuba trip; we are trying to pin down a workable date with the Spree that does not conflict with what we already have set up for the rest of this year or early 2017. Keep an eye out for updates! :diver:

Brad, the Fledgling Journeyman Master Hedonist
Finally broken to plow and harnessed to the traces. How may I help you today? Questions welcomed to charlies@singledivers.com

"My secret to maintaining this goofy façade? It ain't no façade." - Brad, the Fledgling Journeyman Master Hedonist
"I don't make up jokes; I just observe Congress and report the facts." - Will Rogers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users