• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Frog kicking...no not actually kicking a frog..HOW TO DO IT!

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#16 jesterdiver

jesterdiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 853 posts
  • Board Status:Socorro around the corner!
  • Cert Level:Master Diver, Solo Diver, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:450+

Posted 02 April 2014 - 01:10 PM

Roatan is a great choice! Very little by the way of currents. A good instructor should be able to analyze your stroke, your range of motion and give you some options as to an efficient kick style for you. I'm sure Kamala could give you some suggestions on the trip also. I've even seen some divers using webbed gloves to offset leg mobility issues in the past as well.

#17 Diesel

Diesel

Getting started

• Pip
  • 24 posts
  • Cert Level:Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:100 Plus

Posted 02 April 2014 - 01:42 PM

Roatan is a great choice! Very little by the way of currents. A good instructor should be able to analyze your stroke, your range of motion and give you some options as to an efficient kick style for you. I'm sure Kamala could give you some suggestions on the trip also. I've even seen some divers using webbed gloves to offset leg mobility issues in the past as well.

I never even thought about web gloves but then again I don't really use my arms as much as when I first got certify. I remember when I was using my arms I would get tired quicker in the water. I try to think of diving as the lazy mans or womans sport. I would love to be able to afford a scooter to help with current and propulsion but they are quite pricey.

#18 jesterdiver

jesterdiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 853 posts
  • Board Status:Socorro around the corner!
  • Cert Level:Master Diver, Solo Diver, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:450+

Posted 02 April 2014 - 03:43 PM

Hey Diesel,

By no means am I advocating the webbed gloves as a primary propulsion source. I mainly meant to have them handy maybe if you get caught in a strong current and the one leg isn't giving you enough propulsion. But I completely agree with you, in diving, generally speaking, slower is better and the less you use your arms the better!

#19 Diesel

Diesel

Getting started

• Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 06:14 AM

Jester,

Thanks for all the help with my issue on propulsion. It probably is why I don't do more boat dives. Even shore dives here in Florida can have a strong current as well.

#20 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,586 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 03 April 2014 - 01:20 PM

Jester,

Thanks for all the help with my issue on propulsion. It probably is why I don't do more boat dives. Even shore dives here in Florida can have a strong current as well.

Hi Diesel, since you are looking at Roatan you'll not encounter any issues with current. Plus if you are doing the RAB...you'll be in great hands! In your case you *may* want to consider the webbed gloves to help compensate for the bum foot. However if your trim is spot on...you actually only need one foot for propulsion and the other acts as a rudder to keep you from going in a circle. We'll work on several things in Roatan. You'll be swimming like a :fish2: in no time! ;)

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#21 Diesel

Diesel

Getting started

• Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 07:26 AM

Jester,

Hi Diesel, since you are looking at Roatan you'll not encounter any issues with current. Plus if you are doing the RAB...you'll be in great hands! In your case you *may* want to consider the webbed gloves to help compensate for the bum foot. However if your trim is spot on...you actually only need one foot for propulsion and the other acts as a rudder to keep you from going in a circle. We'll work on several things in Roatan. You'll be swimming like a Posted Image in no time! Posted Image

WreckWench,

I'm not sure about the Rent A Buddy but possible, I am kinda like Nemo when I am swimming. lol I do ok , just not the fastest swimmer. I just think:

Hey Mr Grump Gills
You know what you gotta do when life gets you down?
Just keep swimming
Just keep swimming
Just keep swimming swimming swimming
What do we do we swim, swim, swim
OH HO HO How I love to swim
When you WAAAAAANNTTT to swim you want to swim

Thanks

Edited by Diesel, 04 April 2014 - 07:26 AM.

#22 Jerrymxz

Jerrymxz

Gettng to KNow Me

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,369 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Master Diver TDI Extended range
  • Logged Dives:453 LOGGED many not

Posted 13 March 2015 - 11:31 AM

I was rooting around in the closet and found this thread. The talk about Chuuk and Truk Lagoon got me thinking so I wanted to refresh this conversation and see if there is anything new.  I can't wait to get back to Chuuk and this time visit some of the deeper and less often dove wrecks in the lagoon.  As well as re-visiting some old favorites. 

Each wreck has a tale to tell about its life and its demise. 

If you are observant while diving in dark places listen to the account each has to tell, You cannot come away unaffected.   
Changes in Latitude, Changes in Attitude

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users