• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Snorkel

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 SassyLilCutie

SassyLilCutie

Meeting folks

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • Board Status:I NEED the Caymans...
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:350+

Posted 12 April 2014 - 09:43 PM

I wanna get people's opinion on snorkels. I was required to have one for my Open Water Certification, but it gunked up after one use and I had to return it to the store.

I've been told that they are handy and often used when swimming on the surface out to the dive site, but honestly swimming on the surface in the open water and looking like a sharks meal on top of the water scares the bu-jesus out of me! Posted Image

I've also been told that a snorkel isn't needed and is rarely ever used when scuba diving. It just gets in the way and annoys the diver. I know personally from experience that it just wraps around my hair and leaves me with much shorter strands... YAY! Posted Image So it never seemed handy but I also haven't been on many dives.

So, what does everyone else think? and for those that like using a snorkel, what kind do you use (open top snorkel, dry snorkel, compact foldable snorkel)?
Posted Image

#2 TabeaK

TabeaK

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:150

Posted 13 April 2014 - 01:54 AM

Foldable snorkel, in the bc pocket, just in case. I use this one: Oceanic Pro Pocket Snorkel. It comes with a super-easy snorkel lock that you just have to attach to your mask. They made me do my OW with the snorkel too. Hated it. That thing always got in the way, hy hair entangled with it...:banghead:/>...Thankfully, for the AOWD, I wasn't required to use it anymore.

#3 MNJoe

MNJoe

"Charlie"

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,073 posts
  • Logged Dives:450

Posted 13 April 2014 - 04:12 AM

I wore my snorkel for at least a year after my OW class, used it for a surface swim once, but I have done surface swims since then and just do them on my back. Now I only wear my snorkel when snorkeling, I leave it on the boat when I am SCUBA diving.

Keith

"just your average Joe from Minnesota, also known as Keith"

#4 Diver Phil

Diver Phil

Getting started

• Pip
  • 46 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW&EAN
  • Logged Dives:55+

Posted 13 April 2014 - 05:07 AM

I have a dry snorkel and a foldable snorkel. I bought the foldable later, after I realized I was just leaving my dry snorkel on the shore/dive boat. I now carry the foldable in a BC pocket in the case I need it. Sure you can float on your back, but what if I don't want to? Also, if you need to perform a in water rescue, but don't want to take your BC in the water.. then take a snorkel. I think it is good to have in the event you may need it, but kept out of the way.

#5 TabeaK

TabeaK

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:150

Posted 13 April 2014 - 05:22 AM

Hi Phil!

Seems we are almost neighbors! Are you at the US amry base in Kaiserslautern?

#6 Racer184

Racer184

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts
  • Cert Level:Former Open Water Instructor S.D.I.
  • Logged Dives:>500

Posted 13 April 2014 - 07:02 AM

Training agencies require instructors and students to have schnorkels while in class.

The same concept as requiring you to have a buggywhip when taking driving lessons.

#7 Cajun Diver

Cajun Diver

I spend too much time on line

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,228 posts
  • Board Status:Local diving
  • Cert Level:Open water, nitrox, AOW
  • Logged Dives:900+

Posted 13 April 2014 - 12:59 PM

I use the pocket snorkel too and it's there in my bc pocket if I need it for surface swims or while waiting on the surface and the waves pick up.

Houston, Tranquility Base here. The Eagle has landed. Neil Armstrong & Buzz Aldrin on the moon, Michael Collins in the command module orbiting -  July 20, 1969

It looks like it’s going to be another fine day - John Wayne

#8 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,490 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 13 April 2014 - 01:23 PM

I hated snorkels...for all the reasons stated and a few extras. (Once I discovered a dry snorkel the experience was bearable...but like Phil I found I always left it on the boat.)

As many know I have really good air consumption so saving air by using a snorkel has never been a need for me... (maybe THAT is why I have such good air consumption) but either way...i hated snokels and never used them.

Then one day I and my buddy were swept away from the boat in big open water nearly 2 miles away where we could no longer see the boat. Fortunately we did not end up a statistic or a miracle story about how two divers drifted for days waiting for rescue. But on that dive on that day I swore I would NEVER be without a snorkel again.

I have a foldable one in my pocket for emergencies. I have a dry snorkel on the boat for those cool dives with whalesharks like a couple of weeks ago in the Maldives or a dolphin pod that came up the back of the boat last summer n NC or for my trip this summer on Best of Mexico for the whalesharks again!

Get one for when you need to snorkel... suggest a dry snorkel. And have one in your bc pocket for emergencies. Kamala

p.s. swimming on the top of the water does not make you shark fodder. However floating at the surface drifting away from your boat without being able to put your head in the water to see what is below you...well THAT is a different story! :evilgrin:

And NO that is not meant to scare you...its just a fact as to why you should have a snorkel just in case!

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#9 jesterdiver

jesterdiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 853 posts
  • Board Status:Socorro around the corner!
  • Cert Level:Master Diver, Solo Diver, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:450+

Posted 13 April 2014 - 03:03 PM

I also carry a small foldable snorkel. the one I use is called the Avid, it's great and folds to the size of about 2.5" x 5". It's actually a pretty ingenious design!

Is it a great snorkel, no! It's a great in a pinch like having a long surface swim and need to keep my head in the water since I'm navigating using bottom terrain features, waves are getting choppy, or just want to keep an eye on the sharks gathering underneath Posted Image!

I also always keep a dry snorkel in my boat bag in case Kamala needs a snorkel to swim with the Whale Sharks in the Maldives. Oh wait was I supposed to say that?! Posted Image

So the simple answer is yes, snorkels do come in handy, but NOT when scuba diving. On the surface a small pocket snorkel is enough at most, and having a real dry snorkel for when you are going snorkeling with Whale Sharks, dolphins, or Kamala Posted Image Love Ya WW!!

#10 scubaclint

scubaclint

People are Getting to Know Me

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,712 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Solo Diver
  • Logged Dives:346

Posted 13 April 2014 - 04:03 PM

A snorkel is an unimportant pain in the butt... until you need one. As my OW instructor used to say.

#11 Diesel

Diesel

Getting started

• Pip
  • 24 posts
  • Cert Level:Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:100 Plus

Posted 14 April 2014 - 06:31 AM

My instructor has always said better to have it with you. I usually carry mine unless I am doing a short beach dive. The couple beach dives where I have swam out to about a 1/2 to 3/4 of a mile I actually had it with me. I even used it because I want to see what was in the water below out to the dive site. I actually got to see a 6 foot or so nurse shark. I do think snorkels are a big pain in the butt though. I just leave mine attached to my mask and I don't worry about it at all.

#12 SassyLilCutie

SassyLilCutie

Meeting folks

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • Board Status:I NEED the Caymans...
  • Logged Dives:350+

Posted 14 April 2014 - 10:59 AM

Great replies and they all seem to be saying the same thing. Posted Image

So, it looks like I'll be getting myself a foldable pocket snorkel as well as a dry snorkel. Thanks again for all of the feedback! You guys Rock! Posted Image
Posted Image

#13 ChumShiver

ChumShiver

Getting started

• Pip
  • 20 posts
  • Cert Level:Open Water Instructor (inactive)
  • Logged Dives:550

Posted 22 June 2015 - 07:25 PM

Diving in Australia, the operators require you to have a snorkel with you at all times. On the mask or in a pocket, doesn't matter so long as you have one. Just a heads up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users