• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Your top value-for-money equipment purchases

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 bpro

bpro

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue/Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:190

Posted 08 June 2014 - 07:12 PM

On each dive trip, I tend to appreciate equipment that has made diving easier or more enjoyable. What are the best bang-for-your-buck equipment purchases you've ever made?

Some that come to mind for me:

Custom regulator mouthpiece (Seacure) - made diving far more comfortable. I never paid a lot of attention to jaw fatigue and the end of a long dive day until I no longer had it. Best $25 I ever spent.

Fin spring clips - suggested by a fellow SDer on my first real dive trip.

2mm beanie - made the difference between being comfortably warm and shivering, especially on 3-dive days...but without the discomfort a hood causes me.

#2 georoc01

georoc01

I spend too much time on line

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:200

Posted 08 June 2014 - 08:05 PM

This kit from DAN has all of the safety gear I carry on every dive.

https://www.diversal...ive-store/?id=5

I also carry a reel so I can deploy it at depth.

#3 jesterdiver

jesterdiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 853 posts
  • Board Status:Socorro around the corner!
  • Cert Level:Master Diver, Solo Diver, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:450+

Posted 09 June 2014 - 08:09 AM

#1 spring straps for the fins - I laugh when I think about all the uncomfortable and slow, donning and doffing of fins over the years.

#2 socks - Haha, yes those thin lycra or neoprene socks are the best bang for the buck ever! After a week of diving and your feet being constantly wet, even in the most comfortable boots or fins I would sometimes get a sore spot somewhere on my feet. These solved that problem and made getting the wetsuit on and off super easy. My feet just slide into the wetsuit. I think I spent $7 and the amount of comfort and convenience they have given me, priceless!

#3 Backplate and Wing - A place for everything and everything has a place. Easy to use, modify, and adjust to how I want to dive. Nifty pocket in the backpad for the smb, and puts me in great trim. Love it and paid less than I would have for many jacket style BCD's

#4 My Save a Dive Kit - I've fixed, replaced or made; mouthpieces, hoses, o-rings, second stage and first stage parts, re-attached inflator hoses, fin straps, mask straps, seals, attachments for lights, gauges, and cameras, etc. Most of these situations, it was a fellow diver on the boat that benefited from not having to miss a dive. For what a kit cost to put together and what you lose from missing a dive or two, it's a no brainer!

#4 TabeaK

TabeaK

• PipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:150

Posted 09 June 2014 - 08:22 AM

That is a cool topic! :)

So, Jose, what should go in a save a dive kit?

#5 jesterdiver

jesterdiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 853 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 08:50 AM

Off the top of my head:

fin strap
mask strap
assorted tools
silicone
o-rings
bolt snaps
double enders
string for attaching
spare hoses
port plugs
tons of zip ties (can never have too many)
reg mouthpiece
assorted Velcro and straps
batteries

Anyone whose seen my kit knows there must be more I'm forgetting to list lol!

#6 TabeaK

TabeaK

• PipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:150

Posted 09 June 2014 - 09:46 AM

Cool!

I am putting together a list of assorted bits and bops that I woud like to get for Cayman. I'll keep a close eye on this thread.

#7 Racer184

Racer184

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts
  • Cert Level:Former Open Water Instructor S.D.I.
  • Logged Dives:>500

Posted 09 June 2014 - 05:29 PM

• I'll second the "save a dive kit" ! This might be a good choice even if you do not own any equipment at all.
  • surface marker buoy (safety sausage) !
  • And, because I am weird, I bought my own nitrox analyzer, though I know most people should spend money elsewhere first, I already own all my dive gear except a boat.
A piece of equipment I bought and hope I NEVER NEVER need is a tube of fluoroscein dye from O.M.S. (ocean dye).

Posted Image

Edited by Racer184, 09 June 2014 - 05:30 PM.

#8 bpro

bpro

• PipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue/Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:190

Posted 09 June 2014 - 07:00 PM

Thanks for a few new ideas :)

I think any save-a-dive accessory could automatically qualify, especially if it's saved a dive already. Zip ties have for me for sure.

A Storm whistle is another low-priced addition for piece of mind.

#9 IcarusGirl

IcarusGirl

Getting started

• Pip
  • 31 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:200-300+

Posted 09 June 2014 - 08:12 PM

#1 spring straps for the fins - I laugh when I think about all the uncomfortable and slow, donning and doffing of fins over the years.

#2 socks - Haha, yes those thin lycra or neoprene socks are the best bang for the buck ever! After a week of diving and your feet being constantly wet, even in the most comfortable boots or fins I would sometimes get a sore spot somewhere on my feet. These solved that problem and made getting the wetsuit on and off super easy. My feet just slide into the wetsuit. I think I spent $7 and the amount of comfort and convenience they have given me, priceless!

#3 Backplate and Wing - A place for everything and everything has a place. Easy to use, modify, and adjust to how I want to dive. Nifty pocket in the backpad for the smb, and puts me in great trim. Love it and paid less than I would have for many jacket style BCD's

#4 My Save a Dive Kit - I've fixed, replaced or made; mouthpieces, hoses, o-rings, second stage and first stage parts, re-attached inflator hoses, fin straps, mask straps, seals, attachments for lights, gauges, and cameras, etc. Most of these situations, it was a fellow diver on the boat that benefited from not having to miss a dive. For what a kit cost to put together and what you lose from missing a dive or two, it's a no brainer!

Hey Jose - long time no see! :) I always found duct tape was pretty good for those pesky foot sore spots. (really, it saved a couple of dives for me. But yeah, your fancy, fancy dive socks would probably be more proper.) Still, I'd include some duct tape in my save a dive kit...

I agree with TabeaK-- this is a great topic and the posts contain some great ideas.
  • ChumShiver likes this

#10 Greg@ihpil

Greg@ihpil

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD. PADI ,Nitrox -SDI
  • Logged Dives:225

Posted 10 June 2014 - 05:59 AM

This isn't something that will " save a Dive". However,after you start collecting your ensemble of $$$$ equipment inventory.It will help with, where is my...? I would suggest getting some dive ID tags to mark ones equipment.Or to use a water proof marker and ID your stuff.Dan use to have a co. that sold their red id tags. I now use a co. out of Minn.The name goes like,Your bag tag .com , Another suggestion I do, is have any manuals of equipment accessible on my smart phone or computer .Just a .02 of psi.
Greg
: Posted Image
E= pluribus Forum Enjoy the view. ,Do unto others:respect

#11 jesterdiver

jesterdiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 853 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 10:07 AM

Hi Kate! Defnitely have to do a proper HH sometime soon! And yeah duct tape has saved many a situations. On my trip to Saba, duct tape replaced the entire side of my luggage that ripped lol!!

it's a no brainer!

Hey Jose - long time no see! Posted Image I always found duct tape was pretty good for those pesky foot sore spots. (really, it saved a couple of dives for me. But yeah, your fancy, fancy dive socks would probably be more proper.) Still, I'd include some duct tape in my save a dive kit...

I agree with TabeaK-- this is a great topic and the posts contain some great ideas.

#12 little mermaid

little mermaid

I need to get a life

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,745 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Rescue
  • Logged Dives:Over 400

Posted 10 June 2014 - 08:46 PM

Gotta have - Duct tape saved fins and blisters in Dominica - purple and rainbow colors!!!!!!

#13 Jerrymxz

Jerrymxz

Gettng to KNow Me

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,369 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Master Diver TDI Extended range
  • Logged Dives:453 LOGGED many not

Posted 17 June 2014 - 04:04 PM

Off the top of my head:

fin strap
mask strap
assorted tools
silicone
o-rings
bolt snaps
double enders
string for attaching
spare hoses
port plugs
tons of zip ties (can never have too many)
reg mouthpiece
batteries

Looks good to me... but in addition:

I would delete silicone and add Tribolube its a better lube and O2 compatable.
I have a spare auto-inflator in my kit. It's been used a LOT on trips. never by me.
Schreader valve tool (takes the valve core out of the end of a dry suite hose or bc LP hose.
a small bottle of stainless steel bolts nuts and washers.
several feet of 550 cord.

Each wreck has a tale to tell about its life and its demise. 

If you are observant while diving in dark places listen to the account each has to tell, You cannot come away unaffected.   
Changes in Latitude, Changes in Attitude

#14 Jerrymxz

Jerrymxz

Gettng to KNow Me

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,369 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Master Diver TDI Extended range
  • Logged Dives:453 LOGGED many not

Posted 17 June 2014 - 04:14 PM

on the bang for my buck list is either of my dive computers. my Cochrane or my Shearwater. Ive got to have one of them. I can borrow about any piece of gear but either of my computers are must have.

The other item is my mask with the lenses bonded into it. I have to be able to see to dive!

Each wreck has a tale to tell about its life and its demise. 

If you are observant while diving in dark places listen to the account each has to tell, You cannot come away unaffected.   
Changes in Latitude, Changes in Attitude

#15 jesterdiver

jesterdiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 853 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 05:24 PM

Haha, Jerry we have to catch up at Dutch sometime!

Tribolube...check! I should have specified, although I don't do high O2 diving...YET it is a better quality lube.

Spare power inflator is on my to get list

nuts, bolts, and spare backplate bolts...check!

Schraeder valve tool..check, though I haven't used it yet and want to get a demo on the proper way of using it.

cord...check!

Great additions Jerry

Off the top of my head:

fin strap...

batteries

Looks good to me... but in addition:

I would delete silicone and add Tribolube its a better lube and O2 compatable.
I have a spare auto-inflator in my kit. It's been used a LOT on trips. never by me.
Schreader valve tool (takes the valve core out of the end of a dry suite hose or bc LP hose.
a small bottle of stainless steel bolts nuts and washers.
several feet of 550 cord.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users