• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Dive shops and equipment in NYC

shops equipment masks New York

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 basso76

basso76

Getting started

• Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Cert Level:Open Water Diver
  • Logged Dives:10

Posted 03 March 2015 - 01:30 PM

Hey Guys,

I am relatively new to diving and I was looking to slowly build up my equipment.  I am looking for dive shop in and around NYC.  I have googled a few including Pan Aqua and Leisure Pro.  If anyone has information on other places that may not show up on google search, please let me know.  At the moment, I would am looking at masks, fins, snorkel, and maybe a regulator.  Thanks,

Scott T

#2 Diver Ed

Diver Ed

Everyone knows me

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 894 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, NITROX, SOLO
  • Logged Dives:logged, 1000 plus 20 years of unlogged diving

Posted 03 March 2015 - 05:28 PM

Hello Scott,

As I live in an area that does not have any local dive shops, I use the internet sites for most of my purchases. Leisure Pro is a site that I have used a number of times, and I have been very happy with them. I have also purchased a number of items
through Kamala, right here on Singledivers.com. Both good options. When I started diving, and had access to local dive shops, I did go that route. It was beneficial to have some hands on help with selecting decent gear that fit properly.

#3 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,489 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 03 March 2015 - 10:14 PM

Welcome! We do offer some items for sale...usually main dive gear and cool travel related items. We partner with manufacturers such as OMS, Edge & Hogg, Aqualung, Cochran, and more to bring you great value for your dive equipment investment.

For the basics, as Diver Ed said you really need to go to the store to try things on to be sure they fit. Other than your mask...don't spend a fortune on a snorkel and fins. You will most likely change those as you evolve in diving.

If you know what kind of diving you are drawn to i.e. wreck diving, local cold water diving, warm water travel diving then we can help you with suggestions to narrow your choices down. Fins are not all the same and different styled fins are better or worse for different styles of diving.

So let us know what kind of diving you are drawn to and we can give you fin suggestions. Also keep in mind that even if you try fins out in the pool...they will perform differently in the ocean and especially in current. So trying them out in a pool does not always let you know how they will perform when diving for real.

Give us some ideas about what you are interested in and we can help you.

You can also meet other dive shops in the NY and NJ area AND meet us at BTS the end of March. In fact you can hang out and help us and we can get you in for free. HERE are more details. kamala

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#4 basso76

basso76

Getting started

• Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Cert Level:Open Water Diver
  • Logged Dives:10

Posted 04 March 2015 - 01:21 PM

Thanks Ed and Kamala.  I certainly would like to try on masks.  It seemed liked I had the most trouble finding a rental that fit.  This will probably be my first purchase.  As for other scuba adventures, I do like the tropics.  As the Grand Caymans has been my only experience so far, I would not be opposed to other/colder climates as well.  I also added my name to the Bonaire trip, and posted in the BTS forum at the end of the month.  I would like to make it at least one of the days.  I look forward to meeting and diving with you all.  Thanks again for all of the great information. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: shops, equipment, masks, New York

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users