• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

I am NEW: Kelly from Texas

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Bait4sharks

Bait4sharks

Getting started

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced
  • Logged Dives:230+

Posted 18 April 2016 - 06:46 AM

Hi Everyone, I am new to this site and excited for the diving and friend making potential. There is one thing you can say about divers, we never tire of talking about diving.

• dive_sail_etc likes this

#2 dive_sail_etc

dive_sail_etc

Admin, TC, Charlie and Bottle Washer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,126 posts
  • Board Status:Usually check in daily
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:1200+

Posted 18 April 2016 - 08:57 AM

Hi Everyone, I am new to this site and excited for the diving and friend making potential. There is one thing you can say about divers, we never tire of talking about diving.

Hello Kelly aka Bait4sharks (we love your Member Name BTW) :laugh: and welcome to our community of buddyless but active and experienced divers. We are sure you've found a wonderful new home with us!

Now assuming your Member Name is also no idle boast :teeth: we will tip you to a couple of terrific introductory trips that Kamala aka WreckWench has queued up for 2016; follow this link over to our recently revamped Home Website Upcoming Trips Page and click into both Best of Mexico July 02-09 which includes two days snorkeling with Whale Sharks (a new area on their migration route has just been discovered and is within commuting distance of our Cozumel resort) and also Best of Florida August 28-Sept 03 that includes three days with Randy Jordan, a pioneer in South Florida shark encounter diving (recently a few Great Hammerheads have joined the gathering of Lemons, Duskies, and Sand Tigers off the stern of the MV Bonaire!).

Kamala's cadre of Volunteer Elves (including yours truly) are here to help with any questions; you seem to have done everything right so far so we will just sit up here in the Lifeguard Chair and smear a little more sunscreen on our nose as you continue to splash around the Forums and meet more of our Members. Oh and yes, while it is true we never tire of talking about diving we also make a point of making many more dive memories on Kamala's great trips! We hope to have you join us soon! :diver:

Brad, the Fledgling Journeyman Master Hedonist
Finally broken to plow and harnessed to the traces. How may I help you today? Questions welcomed to charlies@singledivers.com

"My secret to maintaining this goofy façade? It ain't no façade." - Brad, the Fledgling Journeyman Master Hedonist
"I don't make up jokes; I just observe Congress and report the facts." - Will Rogers

#3 Bait4sharks

Bait4sharks

Getting started

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 12:07 AM

Hello Kelly aka Bait4sharks (we love your Member Name BTW) :laugh: and welcome to our community of buddyless but active and experienced divers. We are sure you've found a wonderful new home with us!

Now assuming your Member Name is also no idle boast :teeth: we will tip you to a couple of terrific introductory trips that Kamala aka WreckWench has queued up for 2016; follow this link over to our recently revamped Home Website Upcoming Trips Page and click into both Best of Mexico July 02-09 which includes two days snorkeling with Whale Sharks (a new area on their migration route has just been discovered and is within commuting distance of our Cozumel resort) and also Best of Florida August 28-Sept 03 that includes three days with Randy Jordan, a pioneer in South Florida shark encounter diving (recently a few Great Hammerheads have joined the gathering of Lemons, Duskies, and Sand Tigers off the stern of the MV Bonaire!).

Kamala's cadre of Volunteer Elves (including yours truly) are here to help with any questions; you seem to have done everything right so far so we will just sit up here in the Lifeguard Chair and smear a little more sunscreen on our nose as you continue to splash around the Forums and meet more of our Members. Oh and yes, while it is true we never tire of talking about diving we also make a point of making many more dive memories on Kamala's great trips! We hope to have you join us soon! :diver:

My user name is not an idle boast but I am already booked for this summer. The August trip sounds amazing so I will probably watch for information carefully. I am a teacher and will be starting back to work full steam so August is a tough sell for me. I am excited to be on this site. I look forward to the many new adventures and people.

#4 Bait4sharks

Bait4sharks

Getting started

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 12:12 AM

Question.....I was reading on the trips forum page......what is an INSTA-BUDDY?

#5 dive_sail_etc

dive_sail_etc

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,126 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 08:17 AM

Hi again Kelly, actually I believe that is the old name for what we now call Kamala's Rent-a-Buddy Program. For a small fee either daily or as a package for an entire trip, one is paired with a Divemaster (DM) or Dive Instructor (DI) level diver, often The Wench herself. The goal is twofold: a) It provides the extra security and confidence new divers sometimes would like at a real live super duper dive destination to ensure they do things right and don't miss any cool stuff, and b) receive immediate post dive feedback and pointers to hone fundamentals like buoyancy, trim, fin techniques, etc. This is a very popular program with new divers, and while not a solicitation we encourage any new diver to consider it as an option if they are interested in fast tracking their dive skills.

I presume you came across the old INSTA-BUDDY reference in an older Trips Forum topic; if not, or if you are unsure, please paste the URL from the browser address bar where you saw it into a reply post here and I will check it out. As an embarrassing side note, I can't seem to put my cursor on our Rent-a-Buddy topic which I thought was in the Dive Trip FAQ's Forum, when I find it I will provide it here for you. :bam: (Typical day in my world) :wacko:

Finally broken to plow and harnessed to the traces. How may I help you today? Questions welcomed to charlies@singledivers.com

"My secret to maintaining this goofy façade? It ain't no façade." - Brad, the Fledgling Journeyman Master Hedonist
"I don't make up jokes; I just observe Congress and report the facts." - Will Rogers

#6 dive_sail_etc

dive_sail_etc

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,126 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 08:26 AM

My user name is not an idle boast but I am already booked for this summer. The August trip sounds amazing so I will probably watch for information carefully. I am a teacher and will be starting back to work full steam so August is a tough sell for me. I am excited to be on this site. I look forward to the many new adventures and people.

We appreciate the the premium a teaching career places on free time, many of our members seem to come from both teaching and medical professional backgrounds now that you mention it. While most offshore trips are boxed in with rigid booking windows, our South Florida trip may be able to manage a little wriggle room but I cannot cut checks on that, only The Wench has the authority to confirm such arrangements. Look for an email from charlies@singledivers.com soon (today or tomorrow) that I hope will provide useful elaboration. Remember it's all about the *bubbles* :diver: with us! :D

#7 MNJoe

MNJoe

"Charlie"

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:450

Posted 19 April 2016 - 11:47 AM

Hi and Welcome to the Single Diver's Board!!!!

"just your average Joe from Minnesota, also known as Keith"

#8 Bait4sharks

Bait4sharks

Getting started

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 06:13 PM

Hi again Kelly, actually I believe that is the old name for what we now call Kamala's Rent-a-Buddy Program. For a small fee either daily or as a package for an entire trip, one is paired with a Divemaster (DM) or Dive Instructor (DI) level diver, often The Wench herself. The goal is twofold: a) It provides the extra security and confidence new divers sometimes would like at a real live super duper dive destination to ensure they do things right and don't miss any cool stuff, and b) receive immediate post dive feedback and pointers to hone fundamentals like buoyancy, trim, fin techniques, etc. This is a very popular program with new divers, and while not a solicitation we encourage any new diver to consider it as an option if they are interested in fast tracking their dive skills.

I presume you came across the old INSTA-BUDDY reference in an older Trips Forum topic; if not, or if you are unsure, please paste the URL from the browser address bar where you saw it into a reply post here and I will check it out. As an embarrassing side note, I can't seem to put my cursor on our Rent-a-Buddy topic which I thought was in the Dive Trip FAQ's Forum, when I find it I will provide it here for you. :bam: (Typical day in my world) :wacko:

Thanks for the response. That is actually a pretty good idea. It could be comforting to a new diver and a security for someone that has many buddy disasters. LOL :lol:

I thought I spotted the Insta-buddy reference on the trip forum page. If I find it I will copy it and paste it here. BTW, are you the only person on this site? I haven't heard from anyone else and I am just curious......I do appreciate the dive conversation.

#9 little mermaid

little mermaid

I need to get a life

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,745 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Rescue
  • Logged Dives:Over 400

Posted 19 April 2016 - 08:30 PM

:hiya:  Kelly and :welcome:  to the site!!! Have been off the grid a few days.  This is the best site for getting back into the water and diving with great people, fun divers and lots of great dive stories.  I am sure more people will join in and welcome you.  As Brad said, the Best of Florida trip would be a great one for the summer schedule for teachers. Hoping your "full"  summer plans include diving and playing in the water.  Kamala and "elves" put on the best trips!!!  Hope you are on one soon.

#10 dive_sail_etc

dive_sail_etc

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,126 posts

Posted 20 April 2016 - 09:38 AM

==============================================================================================================================

Thanks for the response. That is actually a pretty good idea. It could be comforting to a new diver and a security for someone that has many buddy disasters. LOL :lol:

I thought I spotted the Insta-buddy reference on the trip forum page. If I find it I will copy it and paste it here. BTW, are you the only person on this site? I haven't heard from anyone else and I am just curious......I do appreciate the dive conversation.

==============================================================================================================================

No, I am not the only one here *grins* and in fact if you scroll back up this topic thread you will find a couple of other members have already posted welcomes for you. The Forums only send email  notices for things like Liked or Quoted posts, so you were not made aware of their contributions (which just means you should swing by occasionally to see who else says hello and welcome). :welcome:

As it happens Fearless Leader Kamala aka WreckWench is in the middle of a month of back to back trips to the western pacific (saves a ton on airfare that way) :laugh: but when she is close enough to civilization to reach the Web (most of the Palau / Truk / Philippines itineraries are liveaboard this time around) we expect her to welcome you as well.

The Forums are in a bit of doldrums this time of year due  to the way the upcoming trips are spread out; with the weather warming we usually see activity pick up, so that should start any time. You simply seem to be one of the first to shake off the chill and pop up looking for some scuba diving fun! :) We hope you find a trip that suits your interests and budget and decide to join Kamala and her scuba posse for some said diving fun soon! :diver: *bubbles* B aka d_s_e

P.S. Be sure to find and Like our Business Page (and click Request to Join our Group Page) on Facebook by searching "SingleDivers.com". There's a bit more activity there as well, which also explains why things tend to slow somewhat in the good ol' Forums in the off season...

#11 Bait4sharks

Bait4sharks

Getting started

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 12:14 AM

Hi and Welcome to the Single Diver's Board!!!!

Thanks! How long have you been a member? 

#12 MNJoe

MNJoe

"Charlie"

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:450

Posted 21 April 2016 - 04:36 AM

Good Morning Kelly!

I have been around for quite a while.  I did my first SD.com trip back in 2005.  The trips, roommates and dive buddies for the trips helped me go from new diver to experienced diver.  My local dive shop didn't run much for trips or local practice diving.  I have some good friends that I hunt and fish with, but no local friends that dive.  Between Kamala with SD.com and a not so local dive shop I frequent in the Summer (about 4.5 hrs away) I was able to get myself diving and become confident about it.  

Keith  aka  MNJoe

"just your average Joe from Minnesota, also known as Keith"

#13 aireater

aireater

On a roll now.....

• Premier Member
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Cert Level:OW, AOW,Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 27 April 2016 - 06:43 PM

Hello and welcome....I'm in TX too....hope you enjoy this group as much as I have.

#14 Cmdr. Clownfish

Cmdr. Clownfish

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts
  • Cert Level:rescue
  • Logged Dives:12

Posted 28 April 2016 - 04:08 PM

Actually an Insta-Buddy, as referred to on the home page, is that annoying buddy you don't know and don't want to dive with but you drew the short straw because you two were the only ones that didn't have buddies on the boat.  I may or may not work out.  

Kamala matches you with a "compatible" buddy and you get to keep that same buddy for the whole week.   That way you get to know each other and have better dives as the week goes on.  It works fairly well.  

#15 TJSea

TJSea

Getting started

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Board Status:On
  • Cert Level:Open Water
  • Logged Dives:50+

Posted 02 August 2016 - 04:23 PM

Hi Kelly!  What part of TX are you in?  I've just rejoined and am in DFW area.

"...the river delights to lift us free, if only we dare let go. Our true work is this voyage, this adventure."
- Richard Bach

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users