• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Tank inspections

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 11 June 2004 - 04:09 PM

We all know we need to have our tanks visually inspected every year.

When your tanks need inspecting, where do you take them? Probably your LDS (Local Dive Shop), but how do you know the person inspecting the tank has any knowledge of how to properly inspect your tank? Odds are, he doesn't. How would you know?

Anyone have any stories about tank inspections?
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#2 DandyDon

DandyDon

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox / Scientific / Rescue / TDI Decompression
  • Logged Dives:351 dives, mostly ocean

Posted 11 June 2004 - 04:42 PM

I have my tanks vized and my regs serviced by the shop owner; know his wife and kid. That's all I know to do. I'll be looking forward to more here when I get back!!
What would Patton do...? Posted Image

Yeah I know: I've been branded a non-group person - doesn't play well with others. I am so upset. Posted Image Let me know if you want to have some fun, without the drama - I'm good for that.

#3 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts

Posted 11 June 2004 - 05:42 PM

One clue is if you have decorative stickers on your tanks. If they're still on your tanks after the inspection, they weren't done properly.

DSSW,

WWW™

#4 Sharktooth

Sharktooth

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 74 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced Open Water Deep & Nav
  • Logged Dives:over over 160

Posted 11 June 2004 - 05:55 PM

Good topic Walter,
Ya U right on about that. I will be PSI certified this summer. the guy who is showing me how to do this is. His cert hangs on the wall at the shop. I will be going to school this summer. Right now I can viz a tank document what I find. However, because I'm not certified he does a viz after to verify it then signs off after me. All tanks are inspected inside and out.The log book is huge. Everything is documented and the customer receives a copy of it. Also, do they go through the valve replace o rings? Most important burst disc that is part of a viz. Your LDS should be more than happy to show you their cert, log book, and give you a copy of that record. We do and are. If they won't and don't take your tank elsewhere. What I've found inside some tanks well..........
Let's just say never, never store or let your tank remain empty.
Peace, Dive Safe.

#5 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts

Posted 11 June 2004 - 06:06 PM

What have you found inside tanks that weren't stored empty?

I have an almost unbelieveable story about mine.

DSSW,

WWW™

#6 Marvel

Marvel

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,057 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 11 June 2004 - 06:14 PM

What have you found inside tanks that weren't stored empty?

I have an almost unbelieveable story about mine.

Aw come on, tell!! Pretty pleeeease!!! ( that's two times :birthday: )
Marvel

"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C. S. Lewis

Posted Image

#7 Sharktooth

Sharktooth

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 74 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced Open Water Deep & Nav
  • Logged Dives:over over 160

Posted 11 June 2004 - 06:34 PM

Okay on an "empty" tank a spider complete with cob web and 2 victims. On another with air about 1000 psi a fly???
All where DOA at time of inspection. To weird and no explanation. Oh the empty tank was FUBAR inside and condemned .
Peace, Dive Safe.

#8 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts

Posted 11 June 2004 - 06:41 PM

Like most folks, I used to merely take my tanks in to the LDS for their annual inspection. I had two problems with that practice.

I usually dive twins. Seems most "techs" have difficulty with twins in general. Since my set up is home made, they are usually lost. I always bring in my tanks with my tools, I drain them slowly (don't want condensation on the inside) and then break them down. I come back and usually find the manifold back on leaving me to put the rest back together.

In 1999, I followed that proceedure. I checked the fill - 3000 PSI - exactly as it should be. I took them out on the boat two weeks later, put on my reg to find 500 PSI. Seems, he didn't tighten the manifold quite enough and it had a slow leak. The story of the dives that day is one I'll share with you in person. Be prepared to laugh.

In 2000, I took them back for the viz. Same deal, except this time I check the manifold - no leaks. I dived them for a year (2000 - 2001) with no problems.

In 2001, I brought them back to the same shop. After I drained them and took them apart, I sat down to BS while the tech removed the manifold. Once he had the valves off, he dropped in a light and said, who wants to look inside this tank. I jumped right up and said, "I do." I looked in the tank. I saw something that could only have crawled in the year before when the valves were off for the inspection. A belly up Palmetto Bug AKA Giant Roach. I had been using my tanks for a year with a Palmetto Bug in one of them.

I'll never use a non PSI inspector again.

DSSW,

WWW™

#9 Lubold8431

Lubold8431

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor. Do most of my diving in NE. I love wreck diving.
  • Logged Dives:Over 1500...

Posted 11 June 2004 - 06:49 PM

LOL, this is a funny thread. For the last couple of years, I have wanted to do a PSI course. I used to work at a dive shop, did hundreds of visuals, and I was never "certified" or took a formal class in order to learn how to do visuals. Some would say, its not rocket science. Was I doing visuals correctly? Yes, I believe so. The owner of the shop where I worked does not like PSI, in fact, he wont allow any of his employees to go to a PSI class, further more, he does not allow any cylinder inspected by PSI to be filled in his shops (He will only fill a cylinder that was inspected at another dive shop). Kinda interesting since PSI is the standard for visual inspections according to the CGA. We had a few conversations on this topic. I was "taught" how to do visuals by the owner of the shop, and by another staff member at the shop. Since then, I have learned alot more, and incorporate that into my visuals. I do firmly believe that ANYONE doing a visual on a cylinder should be trained to do so. What that training is, and the format, is up for debate. Should everyone be PSI certified? I dont know. I do know that the next chance I get, I will be taking a PSI course.
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will.
--Vince Lombardi

#10 webhead

webhead

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 85 posts
  • Cert Level:CCR Air Instructor/ Full Trimix CCR Diver
  • Logged Dives:Stopped counting after 500

Posted 11 June 2004 - 09:53 PM

This is a very interesting thread.... visuals is a part of every day scuba but I don't think everyone realizes the consquences when things go wrong.... a few years ago, the local dive shop in Sebastian had an incident. The owner was filling a tank for a friend. The tank, unfortunately, was a year out of hydro. While filling the tank, the steel ruptured and took out a wall and the owner. Because of the failure to follow policy, the widow was left with only a 3 walled store and a stack of bills. While most of this is rumor mill, the fact stand that the owner died and the store was closed for months until it was purchased by someone else.

The reason I bring this up, I was in a VIP class recently. While watching the videos and listening to the lectures, I was examining a tank nearby....a tank 13 months out of hydro, bearing the shop's markings. One of the shop's instructors stopped in to gather his gear and grapped the tank clearly not ready for diving. His attitude was less than inspirational. The tank was drained and shipped out to hydro but did leave me with a new respect for fools and their desire to make scuba more adventuous than it currently is....

What did I learn? Make sure you know your own tanks....hydro date and VIP dates. When a VIP is done, ask to take a look yourself. Especially if they are steel tanks. And if they are steel tanks and they are O2 cleaned, ask about the procedure...are they rinsing the tank to prevent flash rust?!?

There are many things a person can learn to double check a procedure done to tanks....just like maintainance on a car.... educate yourself and be a supervisor to the work being done....it's your right as the owner and USER of that tank. And think twice about standing near the tanks you DON'T know that are being filled in the store..... While not as common as years ago, accidents do happen.
"These are not the droids you are looking for.... move along" - Obi-Wan Kenobi

#11 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts

Posted 12 June 2004 - 06:06 AM

While not as common as years ago, accidents do happen.

THey've never been common, but if you're the victim of one, it doesn't matter if they're rare.

are they rinsing the tank to prevent flash rust?!?

Rinising doesn't prevent flash rust. The only way I know of to prevent it is extremely fast drying. I've never been able to prevent it entirely, but I have been able to cut it way back. If you know how to prevent it, I'd love to learn. I have a 1955 steel in for hydro now.

DSSW,

WWW™

#12 webhead

webhead

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 12 June 2004 - 08:08 AM

The procedure to prevent the flash rusting is to rinse the tank with a mixture called compound W.... or some other odd name like that. I'll ask my friend who taught me where he buys it and the official name. After rinsing the tank out with water and doing the check of the water for any cleaning residue, drain the tank and immediately pour this compound in the tank and coat the entire inside. Then the tank is blown dry which is where the flash rusting normally occurs. The compound prevents that. The rest of the cleaning is done the same way as AL tanks.

#13 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts

Posted 12 June 2004 - 09:57 AM

Is it oxygen compatible?

DSSW,

WWW™

#14 webhead

webhead

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 12 June 2004 - 10:00 AM

Yes. O2 compatible and recommended by PSI for use when O2 cleaning steel tanks.

#15 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts

Posted 12 June 2004 - 10:04 AM

Super! Please post the information when you have it.

DSSW,

WWW™

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users