• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Trip Report: CCR Cave Diving in Abaco, Bahamas

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts
  • Cert Level:Course Director; CCR Instructor
  • Logged Dives:2000+

Posted 22 July 2007 - 05:52 PM

Below is the dive report written by my dive buddy from this trip. We should have the link for the video posted in a few hours. However, before getting to the report, here are some of the basic statistics:
  • Linear penetration distance: 2,800 feet.
  • Environment: Fresh water to approximately 60 feet, halocline to approximately 70 feet, salt water below 70 feet.
  • Maxium depth: 148 feet. Average depth: 110-120 feet.
  • Total run time: 3 hours, 10 minutes (including one hour plus decompression).
  • Water temperature: 75 degrees.
  • Equipment used: Two Optima CCRs and one Megalodon CCR plus open circuit bail out and decompression gas including 21/35 Trimix, Air, EANx70 and 100 percent oxygen staged and carried by a team of three divers.
  • Total number of people to reach this spot throughout global history: 9 (including our team on this trip)!
Fantastic Voyage to Wrigley Field
By Marc Laukien
July 2007

Brian didn’t exaggerate: the room is gigantic. Despite a breathtaking 300 feet of visibility, I cannot fathom where it ends. I feel like floating in space.

Welcome to “Wrigley Field,” a huge cavern in Dan’s Cave, recently discovered by cave explorer Brian Kakuk. This is the last dive of the three best days of diving in my life: a 2,800 feet long and up to 145 feet deep dive that lasts for over three hours, including an hour of decompression. Fewer people have seen this room than men have walked the moon.

But I’m getting ahead of myself. This is a trip report, so let’s step back and start from the beginning.

I first read about Brian Kakuk’s “Bahamas Underground” in Advanced Diver Magazine just over a year ago. Bahamas Underground is located in Marsh Harbour on Great Abaco Island. Marsh Harbour is a small town of only 5,000 people, yet it is the third largest town in the Bahamas. I have been in Abaco several times for open water diving and family vacation. What I didn’t know was that Abaco has the finest cave diving on the planet. I had heard about the many blue holes on Andros and the Lucaya Caverns on Grand Bahama, but I never considered Abaco a cave diving destination.

Marsh Harbour is a nine-hour boat ride away from where I live in Florida. There are also several flights leaving from various Florida airports to Marsh Harbour every day, but I prefer to take my boat. My 26-foot Glacier Bay power catamaran, customized for diving, is a small boat for such a long trip, but the ocean is very calm in July.

I initially wanted to do this trip last year, but I had to cancel twice. The first time my boat was not ready, and the second time the weather turned bad and we couldn’t safely cross the Gulf Stream.

A lot had changed since last year. First, I had transitioned from open circuit diving to rebreather diving. Second, my cave diving buddy from last year had to move back to Europe, and therefore couldn’t join me on this trip. Thankfully, my change to rebreather diving brought me many new dive buddies, among them Howard Packer (aka “ScubaDadMiami” on Rebreatherworld), who was excited at the opportunity to join me on this trip.

Going by boat had the advantage that we could take a lot of gear with us: two Optima rebreathers, two 40cf deco and four 80cf bailout bottles, scrubber, an extra set of rebreather bottles, dive lights, video camera, dive suits, essential tools, and so on—my small boat was packed! I had already taken care of preparing the boat a few days before the trip (to check the engines, the boat electronics, and so on), so on the day of our departure, at 4am in the morning, all that was left to do was to store all our gear, and off we went… or so we thought.

Well, we had made it about halfway across the Gulf Stream, as I suddenly heard my port engine roaring. The RPMs went through the roof, so I quickly shut down the engine. After some investigation (in the middle of the ocean), we found that, for no apparent reason whatsoever, we had spun the hub of my left engine’s prop. We had only one option left, to slowly go back to Florida—on a single engine. It took us one and a half hours to get halfway across the Gulf Stream, but nearly five hours to get home again. We were both extremely frustrated. Was this to be the end of our trip?

But we didn’t give up so quickly. It was Sunday, with all repair shops closed, but we were lucky: my Glacier Bay dealer was in his office, and he had a spare prop in stock. So off we went up Route 95, picked up the prop, drove back to my place again, and pulled my boat up a muddy beach off the Intracoastal Waterway, where we exchanged the faulty prop.

Since it was late, and we didn’t want to arrive in Marsh Harbour in the middle of the night, we decided to leave the next morning. This time, the ride was flawless, and we arrived tired but safely in Marsh Harbour. Having waited for a grumpy immigration officer for a while, and then carried all our gear into our hotel room, we were ready for an early dinner and a good night’s sleep.

Brian picked us up the next morning. We first went to his shop, where he collected his Megladon rebreather. Brian’s dive shop is well equipped with everything the technical diver needs. He has a lot of gear available for rent, backmount rigs, sidemount rigs, and even a Megladon rebreather. Of course, he also has a well-maintained fill station, O2 tanks with booster, and everything else the technical diver needs.

Brian is a very experienced diver and cave explorer. Besides guiding dives for “tourists” like us, he also does a lot of research work for the Bahamian government, and has worked for film productions such as “The Cave” and “Pirates of the Caribbean.” He also taught Nitrox diving to Jessica Alba while being dive safety officer for the production of “Into the Blue”. On top of all this experience, Brian is also a very nice person, and a pleasure to dive with.

After we left Brian’s shop, we went straight for our first dive in Dan’s Cave. Getting into the basin with dive gear is very easy, even without the permanent steps that you find at Florida caves. It didn’t take us long to gear up and to enter the cave.

I have seen pictures of decorated caves before, but nothing prepared me for what I encountered after passing the halocline. I was completely in awe of the beauty of this cave. Never in my life had I seen anything like this. And it just kept getting better and better while Brian guided us deeper into the cave. The visibility was breathtaking (I didn’t even know that water was physically able to produce 300 feet of visibility), and there was no flow whatsoever. We saw thousands of stalagmites and stalactites, some as thin as a finger, others as thick as a giant sequoia tree. We saw large crystal formations in vibrant colors, and even the rock seemed to come in different variations, ranging from bright white and flat to red and spiky. The whole cave looked surreal, like from a fantasy movie. I truly had arrived in wonderland!

Our second dive of the day lead us to a different section of Dan’s Cave that was very different. It reminded me of an oversized version of Ginnie’s or Jackson Blue, with occasional stalagmites and stalagmites and crystal formations. Also, there were fossils everywhere we looked. We completed a circuit with a maximum depth of 140 feet in a little bit over an hour. Dan’s Cave truly has many different faces!

For the next day, I wanted to do a sea cave—my first. We had to start later because ocean caves are strongly influenced by tides. The water was much warmer than in the inland caves, so I only took a 3mm wetsuit. We waded for about 100 feet, and then swam another 100 feet, which brought us right on top of Broken Reel Cave. Broken Reel was a much tighter cave, and very silty, too. In some of the restrictions, visibility approached zero. However, it usually takes only a few minutes for visibility to clear up again because of the tidal flow and because the silt is quite coarse. We started our dive a little bit too late, so we had to fight the tidal flow twice, on our way in, and on our way out again.

Ocean caves are very different from inland caves. Marine life is everywhere: lobsters (hundreds), crabs, fish, and all kinds of other critters. Reef gloves are a must because the rock is sharp and covered with sponges. Broken Reel Cave is not nearly as beautiful as Dan’s Cave, but it is very different from all the inland caves I’ve seen, which made the dive a wonderful experience.

Our second dive of the day was dedicated to taking video in Dan’s Cave. We took the same passages as during our first dive. At the time of this writing, I am editing the video, and will soon make it available for download. Stay tuned!

This brings me to our last day of diving, again in Dan’s Cave. Brian tells us that he just recently has discovered a huge room that he named “Wrigley Field”. Wrigley Field is 2,800 feet from the cave entrance, at depths up to 145 feet. This makes it Howard’s and my longest and most challenging cave dive ever. We plan the dive thoroughly: Brian draws the approximate dive profile from his memory, and I punch the numbers into V-Planner to calculate our bailout plan. We take two 80cf bailout bottles each, one of which we drop about halfway to our destination. We also stage two 100% O2 and one 70% O2 bottle near the entrance.

While long, the swim to Wrigley Field is everything but boring. The cave just keeps getting better and better the farther we go. The columns grow to the height of multi-story buildings. A few times, I think that we have reached Wrigley Field already because the rooms are so large, but Brian keeps going. There are more, larger rooms to come.

Finally we are there. My light cannot penetrate to the walls. Only after swimming around for ten minutes do I start to grasp how large this room really is. This is truly the crowning dive of the most wonderful dive trip I ever made. During the hour of decompression at the end of the dive, the only thought in my mind is when I can come back again for more.

Our three days of diving are over way too fast, and after a good dinner with Brian and some of his fellow explorers, it’s time to say goodbye. We are heading home the next day but, in our minds, we are still at Wrigley Field.
"The most important thing is not to stop questioning." Albert Einstein

"For the diligent diver, closed circuit rebreathers are actually safer than open circuit scuba." Tom Mount

#2 annasea

annasea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 07:40 PM

Now this is something I'd not think to associate with a cave...

<snip>The columns grow to the height of multi-story buildings. <snip>

Glad you had a wonderful time, Howard! I'm curious to see the video.

#3 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 08:10 PM

Here is the time and depth profile from the dive, logged by my buddy's Sensus Pro. Note the changes in depth due to the profile of the cave. This called for us to pause in certain places in order to perform decompression stops during ascents before descending deeper for the next leg of the journey. This type of profile increases the risk of DCI if not approached with the proper ascents and stops during the journey.

DansCave.jpg

"For the diligent diver, closed circuit rebreathers are actually safer than open circuit scuba." Tom Mount

#4 gcbryan

gcbryan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts
  • Logged Dives:620

Posted 22 July 2007 - 08:54 PM

Thanks for the dive report Howard. It sounds like a fantastic dive!

#5 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 10:06 PM

Howard,

Looks like a fun dive. On a rebreather. Looks like a absolute mess on open circuit. I have a few questions if you would.

1. What setpoint did you guys run for the dive?

2. When you did your intermmediate deco, were you following your computer? If so, did the Meg diver do what his computer told him, or stay with the two optimas?

3. Was it possible to run a scooter and would this have made the dive more manageable in terms of making it to your objective?

4. Had Brian laid line all the way back to Wrigley's or did you guys have to lay line on the way in?

This sounds like a wonderful dive, and I've known some folk who've done dives with Brian in the past. Seems like a beautiful place to go. Maybe I'll get to see it one day.

I am looking forward to the video.

#6 diverdeb

diverdeb

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,650 posts
  • Cert Level:Technical Foundations Instructor, DCSI
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 22 July 2007 - 10:28 PM

Wow, sounds like an amazing dive. Something like that MIGHT make me want to take the jump over to "the dark side." lol. Thanks for the report! Looking forward to the video.
As for me, I'm feeling pretty scubalicious. 

#7 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 08:44 AM

1. What setpoint did you guys run for the dive?

I set my unit at .4 for initial descent and then .7 thereafter. However, I fly manually at .7+ on descent, 1.0 for most of the dive, and then I fly manually at about 1.1 to 1.2 during the last phase of the dive and during decompression (other than one brief flush to just under 1.6 to test my oxygen sensors). The other divers maintained 1.2 through the entire dive, letting their units' solenoids maintain the setpoint.

Although both other divers were using their VR3s to guide their decompression, I ended out having perhaps two minutes extra decompression at the last stop than Brian, whom I believe is using the latest version of firmware on his VR3, and 13 minutes less decompression obligation than Marc, who was using a VR3 with an older version of the firmware. One thing that John Jones has stressed to me during training is to limit OTU exposures on CCR (in order to leave room for a chamber treatment after doing several days of diving). So, I take this seriously, and I maintain a lower setpoint than most others. You see how little of a difference it makes in my decompression obligation over the course of three hours.

2. When you did your intermmediate deco, were you following your computer? If so, did the Meg diver do what his computer told him, or stay with the two optimas?

I use the Hammerheads that comes with the Optima. The other two divers were using VR3s (though Marc also carries the Hammerheads). Their computers called for two minute stops when we transitioned from 145 feet to above 70. Mine did not (I believe it called for a stop at 60 but not 70) but I stayed with them during these transitions.

In most cases, it is better for the team to stay together when possible. So, this type of compromise will be the norm. The computers will calculate the overall profile. Everything is accounted for in the end anyway decompressionwise.

3. Was it possible to run a scooter and would this have made the dive more manageable in terms of making it to your objective?

This is not a scooter dive. There are just way too many delicate formations and tight spots in this cave in many parts. So, the only alternative is to swim with the stages and then carefully negotiate the tight spots.

Buoyancy must be spot on in many parts of the cave in order to avoid damaging the delicate formations. The diver needs to negotiate each restriction slowly and carefully, which is a big challenge since many of them involve descents leading up to them and then ascents immediately after (while also having to carefully pass the bail out bottles through the tight restrictions). There is no way to avoid touching certain parts. In order to pass through the restrictions (which luckily tend to have solid formations that won't get as easily damaged as other areas), I had to often roll on my side so that one bail out bottle passed through on top while the other passed through on the bottom. Even then, my counterlungs barely squeezed through while rubbing on the rock.

The good thing is that this cave has no flow, and there are not very many silty areas. Also, once getting past the tight spots, there were very large rooms in many areas.

4. Had Brian laid line all the way back to Wrigley's or did you guys have to lay line on the way in?

We went to the end of the line to the 300 foot across room, which is why Brian named it Wrigley (reminds him of the Field). The next step is to start from there into the new passages that break off from Wrigley.

#8 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 09:21 AM

Dang dude...

That is AWESOME! I was just looking at the Abaco edition of ADM last night and thinking what a magnificent time you guys must have had.

I spoke to my instructor this weekend and I am going to finish my cave training. I asked him if he thought I was ready for full, and his feeling was that I was ready some time ago. So now, I just need to wait for him to scare up a class. Hopefully, next time you venture up here, we'll be able to do some diving.

I'm diving dry again, and I've been working on carrying an 80 with me, so that should give me a chance to do a bit more distance. Essentially, the 80 will not be part of the gas plan since you will be on the Optima. At the depths of the systems here, an 80 should get me out from 2000ft or so.

#9 BubbleBoy

BubbleBoy

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW + Deep, Wreck, Drysuit, Navigation, Night, Rescue, Nitrox Specialties
  • Logged Dives:300+

Posted 23 July 2007 - 09:45 AM

Here is the time and depth profile from the dive, logged by my buddy's Sensus Pro. Note the changes in depth due to the profile of the cave. This called for us to pause in certain places in order to perform decompression stops during ascents before descending deeper for the next leg of the journey. This type of profile increases the risk of DCI if not approached with the proper ascents and stops during the journey.

DansCave.jpg

Awesome dive. A real adventure.

I was wondering what would happen to my recreational dive computer if it went through a profile like this. It would probably lock out with a message like "You are grounded for life mister". :birthday:

I was curious about the lines too, but, already guessed that a lot had been laid down. I was doing wreck training this weekend and it took me about 10 minutes just to get my 100ft. safety reel laid out and wound back up again.

I'm also waiting for the video.
BB

When you make fish laugh, they can't bite you.

#10 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 09:47 AM

Here is the video link. It is advised to download it and save and then play instead of streaming since it is in HD Format. It is big and will take a while to save, but I think you will find the footage worth viewing!

#11 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 11:07 AM

I'm sitting here watching this... good LORD this is gorgeous. I'm going to use this as an example of why people dive in caves.

Amazing stuff Howard.

#12 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 11:38 AM

Was that "die in caves" or "dive in caves?" :birthday: Honestly, the video footage almost does not do it justice. We could not take the large HD camera into the forest of fragile speleothems. So, that footage is only from the first 1,500 feet of the cave. It gets even better after that.

At least you can get an idea of some of the tighter passages with the delicate formations from the footage. This was why the buoyancy can become a challenge (also note the profile from the Sensus Pro graph).

I am not sure if it came out clearly or not, but that close up footage in the end is a 3,000+ year old crocodile skull. The bones kind of blend into the white rocks surrounding it. So, it might be difficult to make it out unless you look twice. However, you can clearly make out the jaw and teeth after knowing what to look for.

I know it takes a long time to download this footage. However, again, I think that it is worth viewing. More people have walked on the moon than have been in some of these areas. :birthday:

#13 netmage

netmage

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts
  • Cert Level:Tech & Cave
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 23 July 2007 - 11:56 AM

One thing that John Jones has stressed to me during training is to limit OTU exposures on CCR (in order to leave room for a chamber treatment after doing several days of diving).

Could you elaborate a little on this...? If your in a chamber, your dry, air breaks are standard in a table 6, and from a CNS standpoint, I seem to recall O2 has a half life of an hour when at SI. At face value, I'd think any significant buid up would dissipate in the time in takes to get to a chamber.

From http://www.mindsprin...egeek/stuff.htm
Myth: If I use this gas, then I cannot be treated for bends in a chamber.

There is no medical reason for non-treatment. Oxygen "dose" is measured in OTU's (Oxygen Tolerance Units). A typical sport dive accumulates less than 150 OTU's. It has been medically accepted that humans can tolerate a daily dose of 1440 OTU's. Since a typical chamber run uses about 400 OTU's (with 600 OTU's being about max per treatment), a typical diver, especially in rigidly controlled resort situations, has more than adequate OTU reserve available for treatment.

Just how many OTU's were you guys registering?

-Tim
"I aim to misbehave...."

#14 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 02:02 PM

CNS is one thing. OTU exposure is another. So, it is important not to confuse apples and oranges here.

There is no hourly credit for OTUs or half life charts like there is for the CNS clock. (There is probably some kind of similar relationship. However, that is not how this is calculated. If you enter the water in less than 24 hours, you continue to accumulate exposure.) On a multi-day trip, you will generally be getting out of the water toward the end of the day, and then you will be getting back in the water less than 24 hours later, typically the next morning or by mid day (if you have to get fills, etc.). So, I dive expecting to get back into the water again before hitting the 24 hour mark as a matter of habit, even if I know that I won't be diving again for a while. It's just my way of not pushing the limits.

The single day dose of 850 is based off of then being able to tolerate a table 6 chamber treatment, which accumulates additional OTUs. (Don't forget that there are sometimes extensions to this. So, the diver should consider this into the exposure when dive planning.) However, that is based off of a single day of exposure. If you start diving for multiple days, the limits start to drop to the point where the diver can only tolerate a 300 OTU exposure daily plus a chamber ride. You'd be surprised how fast the OTUs start to add up on CCR.

Before this trip, I went up to Florida Cave Country, where I dove for three out of four days. Then, I dove on the Doc Demilly wreck the day after returning. Two days later, I went cave diving for three days. Yes, I could start all over again after 24 hours since there were breaks. However, I am a big fan of pretty much carrying out the same procedures for all of my dives so that I don't have to remember when to make an exception and when I don't. That's just my choice out of my election to stay conservative.

There is the unknown. As more time passes, new information tends to indicate that high oxygen exposures over long periods of time can be more risky than was previously thought. (For example, check out what is going on with hyperoxic myopia, a condition that causes the eyes to change due to long oxygen exposures.) A lot of this is anecdotal. So, I can't quote chapter and verse of double blind long-term studies to prove it. However, I can tell you that a few years ago, everyone was taught to fly their CCRs at 1.3 to 1.4 PPO2, and that has since been lowered to 1.2, and it looks like this is going to be changed to 1.0. So, I believe that the OTU exposure limits should also be followed in a conservative manner for much of the same reasons: we just don't know all that much about longer term exposures to higher oxygen concentrations.

Remember, CCR divers are using a constant partial pressure exposure (more or less) throughout the dive whereas an open circuit diver will only reach the maximum while at depth and then at the deepest point on gas switches while ascending. So, we can really rack up the OTUs over the course of dives. On this particular dive, at a PPO2 of 1.2, after 3:10, the diver will be at 251 OTUs. If an emergency developed which caused a delay, and then the diver would have to do a chamber ride, this would be getting too close to the line for my comfort zone. However, at a PPO2 of 1.0 plus a flush here and there at the end of the dive, you are at about 200, and then your additional decompression obligation is just a few minutes longer.

#15 netmage

netmage

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts
  • Cert Level:Tech & Cave
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 24 July 2007 - 08:38 AM

CNS is one thing. OTU exposure is another. So, it is important not to confuse apples and oranges here.

The single day dose of 850 is based off of then being able to tolerate a table 6 chamber treatment, which accumulates additional OTUs. (Don't forget that there are sometimes extensions to this. So, the diver should consider this into the exposure when dive planning.) However, that is based off of a single day of exposure. If you start diving for multiple days, the limits start to drop to the point where the diver can only tolerate a 300 OTU exposure daily plus a chamber ride. You'd be surprised how fast the OTUs start to add up on CCR.

In my nitrox and deco classes (granted OC) I was taught, if you track CNS, OTU's pretty much take care of themselves... So, its easy to see how on CC, this changes everything.

The daily dose limit is from an assumed 1440, i.e. people breathing pure O2 24x7 at surface, so at a 1.0 setpoint, you'd have to dive 24 hours a day to reach your 'dose limit',
"I aim to misbehave...."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users