• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Trip Report: Sherry-Lyn Wreck, Reef: Miami 08/06/2007

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts
  • Cert Level:Course Director; CCR Instructor
  • Logged Dives:2000+

Posted 07 August 2008 - 11:21 AM

After staying out of the water for two weeks, I really needed to make a dive. So, when I got the word about a mid-week night dive to the wreck of the Sherry-Lyn, I just couldn't say no.

Luckily, conditions were pretty good for our dives: flat seas, almost no current, and the visibility was reasonable, probably 40 to 50 feet. The Sherry-Lyn lies in about 100+ feet of water. It is in two pieces or so, having been broken up in Hurricane Andrew in 1992.

We were on a very full dive boat, the Big Com Ocean, which is the best dive boat in Miami. The boat was completely booked. So, we were lucky to procure two spots. We were the only rebreather divers aboard.

Although the boat was full, many of the divers were doing their first night dives as part of dive training. The kept them on the section of the wreck to which the dive boat had anchored. Luckily for the two of us rebreather divers, we were all alone on the other half of the wreck, which lies perhaps 100 feet from the section to which the dive boat had anchored.

We spent our time cruising through the wreck's innards, passing through the engine compartment, and we traveled through the many openings and some tight passages the run the length of this half of the wreck. Since we were the only two divers on this half of the wreck, the interior was clear of the silt that is typically stirred up by divers passing through.

By the time we made our way back to the half to which the boat had anchored, we still had a good ten minutes or so without other divers in the water, having made their ascent by this point. So, even with a full boat, it was almost like the two of us were the only divers in the water for almost the entire dive.

After 40 minutes, we began our ascent, and we climbed out of the water in a little under an hour. We headed to our second dive on a local reef.

For most of our hour long dive, we were within inches of a school of feeding squid. It was amazing to watch this action so close up. The squid were darting into our light beams, catching small finds that we illuminated. It was a win-win situation: they got easy meals, and we got the reward of close up interaction for assisting them in making their catches.

What a great night!
"The most important thing is not to stop questioning." Albert Einstein

"For the diligent diver, closed circuit rebreathers are actually safer than open circuit scuba." Tom Mount

#2 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:448

Posted 07 August 2008 - 12:06 PM

Sounds like a great dive! Always wondered if wrecks are spookier on a night dive.....especially with only the 2 of you on that end of the wreck.

After staying out of the water for two weeks, I really needed to make a dive.

A whole 2 weeks out of the water? Sheesh, I have to go from Sep/Oct to the following Spring before my next scuba trip! :P
Posted Image

#3 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts
  • Cert Level:Course Director; CCR Instructor
  • Logged Dives:2000+

Posted 07 August 2008 - 01:04 PM

I have much respect for people that do not live in a convenient location for diving but stick with it. Much respect to you!
"The most important thing is not to stop questioning." Albert Einstein

"For the diligent diver, closed circuit rebreathers are actually safer than open circuit scuba." Tom Mount

#4 shadragon

shadragon

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD / DM / Solo
  • Logged Dives:534' ish

Posted 07 August 2008 - 01:27 PM

Hey LLDN... We go every second week. Grab your dry suit and thick undies and come with! Might even be able to get in a scallop dive if really lucky (Depends what areas are open). Sure it is only 10' viz, 4 knot currents and 45F water, but you learn to love it...! :P
Remember, email is an inefficient communications forum. You may not read things the way it was intended. Give people the benefit of the doubt before firing back... Especially if it is ME...! ;)

Tech Support - The hard we do right away; the impossible takes us a little longer...

"I like ponies on no-stop diving. They convert "ARGH!! I'M GOING TO DIE" into a mere annoyance." ~Nigel Hewitt

#5 BubbleBoy

BubbleBoy

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW + Deep, Wreck, Drysuit, Navigation, Night, Rescue, Nitrox Specialties
  • Logged Dives:300+

Posted 07 August 2008 - 08:26 PM

I love night diving.

I wish someone would organize a liveaboard where you dive all night long and then sleep during the day.

I'd go.
BB

When you make fish laugh, they can't bite you.

#6 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:448

Posted 07 August 2008 - 08:53 PM

Hey LLDN... We go every second week. Grab your dry suit and thick undies and come with! Might even be able to get in a scallop dive if really lucky (Depends what areas are open). Sure it is only 10' viz, 4 knot currents and 45F water, but you learn to love it...! :wakawaka:

An excellent reason to get dry-suit certified! Your 10 ft viz beats the arms-length I had in a quarry a couple of weeks ago!
Posted Image

#7 annasea

annasea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 07 August 2008 - 10:08 PM

I have much respect for people that do not live in a convenient location for diving but stick with it.

Thank you! :wakawaka:

Nice report, Howard.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users