• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Official Trip report NC Wrecks 2-5 July 2010

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Jerrymxz

Jerrymxz

Gettng to KNow Me

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,369 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Master Diver TDI Extended range
  • Logged Dives:453 LOGGED many not

Posted 03 July 2010 - 02:31 PM

Well day one is in the book! the seas were actually calm but still more motion for many then expected but it didn't dampen the mood when on our first dive we hit the U-352. the Vis was about 60 feet and no current on the wreck and only a very slight one on the hang line. I saw two small eels and a couple of puffer fish and the always present clouds of bait fish.

After that we motored over to the Spar for a great dive with the Sand Tigers. I lost count at a dozen and there were 4 or 5 on the fore deck by the crane boom. Several times the bait fish were so thick I couldn't see the other side of the ship. All in all a very good day :thankyou:

Each wreck has a tale to tell about its life and its demise. 

If you are observant while diving in dark places listen to the account each has to tell, You cannot come away unaffected.   
Changes in Latitude, Changes in Attitude

#2 Diver Ed

Diver Ed

Everyone knows me

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, NITROX, SOLO
  • Logged Dives:logged, 1000 plus 20 years of unlogged diving

Posted 03 July 2010 - 03:34 PM

One of our cool guests today!

Posted Image

#3 Diver Ed

Diver Ed

Everyone knows me

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 03:54 PM

My dive guide, Tutor, and protector from the denizens of the deep. Thanks for sharing the dives today Brad.

Posted Image

#4 dustbowl diver

dustbowl diver

"Charlie"

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,028 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:139

Posted 04 July 2010 - 06:08 AM

Nice Pic of the "Special Guest!" Thanks for posting!!
"Yesterday's gone, tomorrow never knows, today will never be the same again!"-Jibe

#5 Jerrymxz

Jerrymxz

Gettng to KNow Me

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,369 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 08:18 AM

If someone with a good picture of the whole group taken by the dive shop would send me a copy I would appreciate it. We had a great time for all those who couldn't make it! (just to rub it in a bit) :thankyou:

If you are observant while diving in dark places listen to the account each has to tell, You cannot come away unaffected.   

#6 Diver Ed

Diver Ed

Everyone knows me

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 05:05 PM

My first Single Divers experience...........

I started following SD back in March, and it didnt take too long to see that this was most likely a very interesting and fun group of people. I soon there after signed up for a couple of trips. This weekend ended my wait, and now my first SD trip is a memory and an experience. I will again thank Jerry, for setting up my nitrox computer, after I left the manual at home. A thank you to Brad, as my dive buddy for the weekend, and a big thanks to Kamala for all of the extra time and effort that you put into things both before our arrival, and once we got there. As for the diving, it was great. As someone who loves sharks, the sand tigers were quite a sight. Ed

#7 Jerrymxz

Jerrymxz

Gettng to KNow Me

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,369 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 05:02 AM

We are back at work after a great couple of days diving the historic Ship Wrecks of North Carolina and rubbing fins with the Atlantic Sand Tiger sharks. I wanted to get the thread going for the report but I'm not ready to put my version up just yet. Hopefully in a couple of days things will settle out enough to put it together.

#8 dive_sail_etc

dive_sail_etc

Admin, TC, Charlie and Bottle Washer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,126 posts
  • Board Status:Usually check in daily
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:1200+

Posted 08 July 2010 - 07:19 AM

Holy cats! :cool1: This trip was far better than I could have hoped. Good to excellent vis on every wreck, LOTS of docile sharks and some of the calmest surface conditions that the NC cape ever gets. (Think a good day off the FL panhandle, dang near flat chop with long low rollers.) :cool1:

I hope to have resized photos ready to post in the gallery over the next day or so, and encourage other bubble blowing shutterbugs to contribute also. :respect: A tip of the hat to all the members who helped make this a most memorable experience, and of course :thankyou: Kamala for putting it all together!

Brad, the Fledgling Journeyman Master Hedonist
Finally broken to plow and harnessed to the traces. How may I help you today? Questions welcomed to charlies@singledivers.com

"My secret to maintaining this goofy façade? It ain't no façade." - Brad, the Fledgling Journeyman Master Hedonist
"I don't make up jokes; I just observe Congress and report the facts." - Will Rogers

#9 dive_sail_etc

dive_sail_etc

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,126 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 04:24 PM

Okay, for some reason AT&T has decided to throttle down the local DSL connection to an obnoxious crawl. :birthday: I managed a few pics and will try later in hopes the mystery packet traffic jam will by then have abated. :wakawaka:
Finally broken to plow and harnessed to the traces. How may I help you today? Questions welcomed to charlies@singledivers.com

"My secret to maintaining this goofy façade? It ain't no façade." - Brad, the Fledgling Journeyman Master Hedonist
"I don't make up jokes; I just observe Congress and report the facts." - Will Rogers

#10 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:448

Posted 09 July 2010 - 06:41 PM

Thanks for sharing what you could get uploaded, Brad! Keep 'em coming, as your connection allows! :wakawaka:
Posted Image

#11 dive_sail_etc

dive_sail_etc

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,126 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 08:43 AM

Okay, all my pics that were fit to post (IMHO) :wakawaka: are now up in the Gallery. Thanks again to all who helped make this a memorable experience!

#12 cat fish

cat fish

"Atocha Queen"

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,355 posts
  • Board Status:online
  • Cert Level:15+ years diving. Rec -Tek-Cavern
  • Logged Dives:450+

Posted 10 July 2010 - 09:04 AM

Brad... thank you for the terrific photos! Wow!!

#13 scubaclint

scubaclint

People are Getting to Know Me

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,712 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Solo Diver
  • Logged Dives:346

Posted 10 July 2010 - 03:05 PM

Now that I'm back and the gear is all dry, I guess it's time to put together a trip report. This was my first time diving the Graveyard of the Atlantic. I can see why they call it "Big Boy" diving.

On Saturday, we dove the U352 Sub and the Spar.

Sunday brought the USS Schurz and the Aeolus.

On Monday we dove Live Bottom (reef) and the Spar (for the 2nd time).

All of the dives had good visibility. On the Schurz, it seemed visibility was mainly limited by fish. I especially enjoyed the Spar and was glad we dove it twice. The sharks were great and I was able to find a tooth. We also saw lots of barracuda. They liked to hang out with us while we completed our safety stop. Sea conditions were somewhat rough the first day and getting back on the boat was challenging (I have the scraped and bruised legs as proof). I for one was glad to see calmer seas the next two days.

I posted some pics in the gallery. It was my first time diving with a camera. I seem to have ended up with a lot of sea urchin photos. I guess they moved at a speed that matched my u/w photo skills.

I do have a tip to pass on to fellow novice photographers. When you get out of the water, turn your camera off from shooting video. Otherwise on the next dive you'll find you have a low battery, full memory card, and 30 min of EXCITING camera bucket footage. :lmao:

Thanks to Heidi and Scott for being my dive buddies. Also thanks to all that looked after me during my sea sickness. Did I mention the first day was rough? All in all, 6 great dives, a good test of skills, one great weekend. :cool1:

#14 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 10 July 2010 - 03:55 PM

Did I mention a direct correlation between loving NC Diving and NOT being sea sick??? ;)

The first day was challenging for many of our first timers to NC as managing the sea sickness for those who NEVER GET SEA SICK, leaving at an early hour (6:30am) in order to be the FIRST ON A WRECK, combined with managing getting back on the boat (aka learning to wait for the seas to calm down meaning the ladder is also calm) can be a bit daunting at first. However once you get the hang of it, you can be VERY PROUD of yourself for doing so well!

For the veterans the seas were very calm despite a few vets being a bit queasy the first day due to lack of rest the night before and a very early start on the first day.

I was proud of all our new NC divers...not one of them looked out of control in or out of the water. Not one of them 'dropped' onto diver's heads when we shared a wreck with other boats...and not one of them floundered in the water or lost their bearings in the water column.

I wish I could say the same for several other boats sharing the wrecks with us this trip. :lmao:

Kudos to our divers...you all did GREAT!!! And all of your diving skills IMPROVED as they stepped up their game on this trip!

It truly is 'big boy and big girl' diving and no one in our group needed to stay on the dock/boat! :cool1:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#15 uwfan

uwfan

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 10 July 2010 - 04:32 PM

Okay, my report's gonna be short this time.

I like calm waters. NC wrecks are cool. Sharks aren't as scary as I thought (darn, I didn't get to hold any hands!)
Shark teeth, shark teeth, shark teeth!!! (Found some, want more.)

Yep, that about covers it!

Oh yea, liked seeing everyone who I'd met before and in spite of being a bit off my game, got to know some cool new peeps.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users