• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

PNW Sea Critter of the Month - March: Pacific Spiny Lumpsucker

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 02 March 2006 - 04:59 PM

Pacific Spiny Lumpsucker
Eumicrotremus orbis
Snailfish-Cyclopteridae Family

Description: Cute! Globular head and body. Cone-shaped lumps cover the head and body. Wide range of colors including shades of brown to green, red, purple, and orange, often with yellow or orange highlights. The pectoral fins form a wide suction cup that covers the entire breast.

Color: They take on the color of their habitat. Green, dark reds and browns.

Range: Common to uncommon northern Washington to Aleutian Islands, Alaska. Also found in Siberia, Russia.

Size: Very small (the one pictured here was about 1.5 inches). Length up to 5 inches. A lot of divers miss these, so you have to go SLOW!

Habitat: Live in a wide range of habitats, including eelgrass beds to rocky areas with kelp; also in shallow bays around docks. As with most members of the Snailfish family, the Lumpsucker has a suction disk on the underside of it's body. It uses this disk to hold on to solid objects in heavy currents. In the Puget Sound area, they are often found attached to the brown kelp.

Depth: Intertidal to 60 ft.

Behavior: Slow, inefficient swimmers. Remain still, apparently relying on camouflage. Move only when disturbed. Attaches to solid objects with their suction cup.

ID Clues: It has a squarish foredorsal fin which is widely separated from the second dorsal fin.

Posted Image
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#2 drbill

drbill

I spend too much time on line

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 02 March 2006 - 05:45 PM

Now that is one ugly fish... would love to film one if it didn't require a drysuit!

Edited by drbill, 02 March 2006 - 05:46 PM.

#3 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic

Posted 02 March 2006 - 05:50 PM

WHATT!!!????? It's not ugly, it's sooooooooo cute!!!!
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#4 Piz

Piz

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue diver
  • Logged Dives:?? 200+

Posted 02 March 2006 - 06:23 PM

Well you do know the definition of cute don't you? Ugly, but interesting!

#5 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts

Posted 02 March 2006 - 07:02 PM

Hey wait a minute!! I think I may have been called cute before! DOH!

#6 Piz

Piz

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue diver
  • Logged Dives:?? 200+

Posted 02 March 2006 - 09:56 PM

Well if you have it must have been a REALLY BAD hair day! :cool1:

#7 Brinybay

Brinybay

I spend too much time on line

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:580

Posted 02 March 2006 - 10:00 PM

Now that is one ugly fish... would love to film one if it didn't require a drysuit!

I don't think these fish care much what kind of suit you're wearing. :cool1:
"The cure for anything is saltwater--sweat, tears, or the sea." - Isak Dinesen

"A good marriage is like an interlocking neurosis, where the rocks in one person's head fill up the holes in the other's."

#8 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts

Posted 02 March 2006 - 10:53 PM

Well if you have it must have been a REALLY BAD hair day! :evilgrin:

Every time I dive darlin', every time I dive!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users