MUST READ IMPORTANT & ONGOING COVID UPDATES FOR THIS TRIP HERE
REMEMBER...ALL TRAVELERS NEED TO BE PREMIER MEMBERS OR ABOVE TO JOIN OUR AMAZING TRIPS!!!
DISCOVER THE NORTH CAROLINA EXPERIENCE
(This is NOT a traditional Caribbean trip. PLEASE read all the info we have prepared for you. EVERYTHING is different even from Florida.)
EXTREMELY IMPORTANT LINKS NEEDING YOUR INPUT IF ON THIS TRIP:
- READ THIS LINK TO SEE IF NC IS FOR YOU HERE.
- Lunch & Dinner Food Choices...tell us HERE (UPDATE)
- Are you getting the Trip PM which is our ONLY form of trip communications to you? Can you find the original materials vs just relying on the courtesy emails? MUST REPLY TO US..... HERE
Date: July 21-26, 2020 (Diving days July 22-25, Arrive July 21, Depart July 26)
Location: Morehead City, NC for world class Wreck & Shark diving
Hotel: Fisherman's Inn is a classic NC beach town motel perfectly suited for divers. Located at 200 Atlantic Beach Cswy; Atlantic Beach, NC 28512, (252) 726-2273 (about 10-15 mins to the boat)
Dive operator: Land based dive operator Olympus Diving located in Morehead City, NC - Boat - Midnight Express (about 10-15 mins from the hotel)
Water Temp: 78 - 82 F
Air Temp: 88 F
Visibility: 30-100 ft depending on wreck and conditions (Viz is usually the best in July)
Want to Carpool or Rideshare: Click HERE to discuss.
Experience Level: Intermediate to Advanced depending on conditions. (Please see full qualifications list in the summary I've made AND in the Qualifications section near the end of the trip details)
- Current at times very strong so you must stay on the anchor line up and down and use the wreck to break any bottom current.
- Vis can vary from 30 ft to 100 ft depending on the gulf stream and winds.
- Water temps will usually be 79-80 with the chance of thermoclines depending on the wreck.
- There are NO in water dive guides. The dive crew will jump in and tie our anchor off to the wreck and help divers in and out of the water. The second crew member will then jump in at the end and untie the anchor line from the wreck. They are not available to guide divers around the wreck.
- We will show you a wagon wheel or star pattern navigation trick that will enable you to enjoy the wreck and see plenty of things AND not get lost.
- There will be several dive boats on any wreck at any given time so you must be familiar with YOUR boat's anchor line and where we are in relation to the wreck ie. stern or bow or mid section. (HOWEVER any anchor line is a good one if you need to go up vs doing a free ascent)
- We usually try to do either stern or bow to help with navigation.
- These dives are deep... 80-120 ft deep and the rides are long...2-3 hrs to the wrecks.
- Please read the FULL QUALIFICATIONS section at the end of this trip details posting and READ THIS LINK where I explain NC Wreck & Shark Diving. Its not for everyone...but for those who go...they will forever be changed!
- OTHER REQUIREMENTS FROM THE BOAT:
· A minimum of 40-50 logged dives. Advanced Open Water Certification OR equivalent required.
· At least 2 dives in the ocean to 70 feet or greater.
· At least 2 logged boat ocean dives.
· At least 2 dives in the last 12 months. Minimum age for Full Day Dive Trip is 15 years old.
· Physically able to put tanks (rental or private) on the boat each day and remove them to get them filled. (Wheelbarrows are available but the dive crew/shop staff do not manage/handle tanks for divers.)
TRIP PKG PRICING:
- Diver D/O = 16-18 spaces (depending on covid) $1097 or $1065 CASH
- Diver S/O = ? spaces $TBD or $TBD CASH
- Diving ONLY Pkg =$716 or $695 CASH We have a limited number of diving only pkgs for those who live locally or are staying at another hotel because they have a non-diving companion. Price includes lunch on boat, group cookout, and 4 days 2 tank offshore dives . Email firstname.lastname@example.org for details and availability.
- Non-Diver = ? spaces. Any non diver (unless the accompaniment of a "single" room recipient...would need to stay at another hotel. The hotel barely has enough rooms for all the divers to stay in. If we have a member that wants to bring a non-diver please discuss with me so I can see if its possible to work something out. Rooms in NC are very scarce due to the aftermath of the last serious hurricane. Some hotels have closed forever and many are slow to reopen creating a shortage of rooms. Contact email@example.com to discuss)
*All prices are per person.
**Cash Discounted Price is given when you select e-check at final checkout
- 6 Days/5 Nights at Fisherman's Inn & Diver's Hotel (WE HAVE BOOKED THE ENTIRE HOTEL including all rooms, the bunkhouse, the dock, grills, etc.) - NOTE: You can stay at other hotels of your own choosing. This is one of the most economical and diver friendly hotels in the area that has been hard hit by hurricanes the past couple of years. Contact us to decouple the diving, boat lunches and group BBQ Cookout etc from the trip price for you. If anyone does stay at another property a possible single occupancy is created.
- 4 full days of (2) Offshore Tank Boat dives for 8 boat dives in the pkg with Olympus Dive Center onboard Midnight Express
- Lead is included TANKS ARE NOT. and I'm checking on weight belts
- Opportunity to dive on "Real WWI and WWII wrecks which are true victims of war including the U352 German U-boat one of only 3 uboats in diveable waters
- Opportunity to dive with numerous Sand Tiger Sharks, Sand Bar Sharks and possibly a Bull Shark or two.
- Opportunity to dive with massive schools of BIG FISH including schools of Barracudas 6-8ft long
- Expertise on "HOW TO DIVE NC" and help in preparing you for this amazing destination as well as help determining if too advanced.
- Wide Angle Photography Workshop Tips for getting great shots of SHARKS from locally renown photographer and SD.com member!
- Breakfast on the dock and boat daily
- Catered Lunch daily on the boat including snacks, sodas and water
- One Cookout on the dock dinner to include fresh caught fish, steak, pork, chicken, sides, beverages including wine and beer
- Group reservations at 'best local' eateries which is hard to do during a holiday or busy summer weekend or the chance to do another cookout, pizza party etc on the dock to avoid crowds. Heck with 16-18 people WE ARE THE PARTY!
- Special Happy Hour Events & Pricing
- Great give-aways!
- Lots of 'Meets & Greets' to get to know everyone!
- FREE DEMOS of BIG BLUE DIVE LIGHTS & special deals to OWN YOUR OWN BIG BLUE LIGHT(s)
- Wanna carpool or rideshare? Click HERE
OPTIONAL ADD ON'S:
- $6 or $5 CASH "Group TShirt" INCLUDES FREE SHIPPING & for add'l $6 or $5 CASH upgrade you can choose your color/saying/style (see details in separate post)
- Extra Night Local Group Hotel d/o: TBA (please arrange via firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Extra Night Local Group Hotel s/o: TBA (please arrange via email@example.com)
- Rent A Buddy
- Day $52 Day FULL PRICE per member or $50 CASH (Not generally available on this trip)
- Week $155 FULL PRICE per member or $150 CASH Not generally available on this trip)
- Paralenz Camera Rental per day via SD.com $31 per Day FULL PRICE or $30 CASH (Rental rates can be applied to the purchase of your own camera if purchased within 21 days of your trip. This program is offered only via SingleDIvers.com)
- Olympus TG6 Camera Rental per day via SD.com $31 per Day FULL PRICE or $30 CASH (Rental rates can be applied to the purchase of your own camera if purchased within 21 days of your trip. This program is offered only via SingleDIvers.com)
- SD Air Booking Fee - $37 FULL PRICE per member or $35 CASH
FILLS & RENTALS - PAYABLE TO THE SHOP IN NC BUT SET UP IN ADVANCE TO PRE-SELECT TANKS:
Tanks are not included in the diving charter price because unlike a international destination where you can't bring your own tanks and therefore they are supplied; in NC you can bring your own tanks and so most people do since its a 'drive in' destination.
So if you are bringing your own tanks use the "FILL" pricing below. If you are renting tanks use the "RENTAL" pricing below. Also note that regardless of fills or rentals...you will need to help get the tanks to the shop for filling for the next day. The shop provides carts for helping with this and we'll create an assembly line to help people etc. But just remember that the shop is NOT responsible for taking your tanks off the boat, filling them and returning them to the boat the next day.
We will start to capture what you are doing HERE so we can get enough tanks on hold for you if RENTING. If doing fills it is not a big deal. If renting tanks and you opt for a larger tank then we definitely MUST get them on hold for you as soon as we can.
Tank Fill Rates = CASH pricing - PAYABLE AT THE DIVE SHOP DIRECTLY
- Air up to 99 cubic ft $6.00
- Air more than 100 cubic ft $7.00
- Nitrox 30% up to 99 cubic ft $12.00
- Nitrox 30% more than 100 cubic ft $14.00
Rental PER DAY Prices = CASH pricing - PAYABLE AT THE DIVE SHOP DIRECTLY
- Aluminum 80 (Air) $7.00
- Aluminum 100 (Air) $11.00
- Aluminum or Steel 80 cf (EAN) $16.00
- Aluminum or Steel 100+ cf (EAN) $19.00
- Weights Included
- Regulator System w/ SPG $15.00
- BCD w/ Power Inflator $15.00
- Wetsuit 3mm or 5mm $15.00
- Nitrox Computer $20.00 - SEE BELOW & KAMALA
- Paralenz Camera $30.00 - SEE BELOW & KAMALA
- Olympus TG6 Camera $30.00 - SEE BELOW & KAMALA
- Computer: SD.com will have some rentals...RESERVE IN ADVANCE DUE TO LIMITED QUANTITY. ALL DIVERS MUST DIVE A COMPUTER
- Dive Lights - NEVER RENT AGAIN...our new corporate sponsor Big Blue Dive Lights will let you use one of their lights for FREE on your trip! And then offer great incentives if you wish to own your own! YOU MUST TELL US IF USING ONE AS WE CAN"T BRING ENOUGH FOR EVERYONE...
- Camera & Video Rentals - Rent a Paralenz or Olympus TG6 camera including basic instructions and camera tips. Rental rates can be applied to the purchase of your own camera if purchased within 21 days of your trip. This program is offered only via SingleDIvers.com
- Airfare to Raleigh (RDU) or New Bern nor transport from Raleigh/New Bern to Morehead City approx 3 hrs away - SEE WHO MAY WANT TO RIDESHARE OR CARPOOL? HERE
- Does not include Tank rental nor fills. You can rent tanks which will be filled daily for you or you can bring your own tanks and then fill them daily. You can dive either nitrox or air but we do not know why anyone would use air...too far to go the site(2-3 hrs)...too deep(80-120ft)...not enough bottom time without using nitrox. IMHO.
- Does not include 4 of 5 night's dinners
- Does not include breakfast on departure day but a great diner 4 corners is close where we can eat and then head out for airports or driving. NOTE check out flight info for when to fly home
- Rental, instruction and retail charges
- Dive Crew/Hotel/Wait staff gratuities (usually 10-15% )
- Instruction/Classes - will NOT be available on this trip. Please let us know what you are interested in?
- DIVE Insurance - is MANDATORY! DIVE insurance is VERY inexpensive. Even if you have insurance that you think covers DIVING ACCIDENTS and air lifts it is CHEAP to get a supplemental policy to ensure you are cared for.
- TRIP Insurance - It is STRONGLY RECOMMENDED.
- See INSURANCE section below for recommendations.
Discounts & Rebates:
DISCOUNTS & DISCOUNT DISCLAIMER:
You must use the code when you book as they are not retroactive after you sign up UNLESS otherwise stated like the member rebate etc.
We are sorry for any inconvenience this may cause but the accounting expenses of manually trying to do the discount is far exceeding the discount amount making it very prohibitive to manage this way. So please be sure to use the discount code AT TIME OF INITIAL BOOKING.
NOTE: The EBD or Early Booking Discounts can only be used as follows:
- When paying in full
- When you first sign up
- By the deadline given. After that deadline they disappear and the code will not work. (So please leave a buffer if you need to xfer money or have questions.)
- Only one (1) coupon code can be used per order.
- Pay in full at time of Booking by May 1, 2021: for $25 off D/O (Use COUPON CODE: 21RDU25EBD)
- Deposit by May 15: Get (1) chance to win FREE Stream2Sea Travel Essentials bag worth $25
- Deposit by Jun 15: Get (1) chance to win FREE Scuba Cowboy CD signed by the artist!
- Social Media Discounts: 1 chance to win a $25 gift certificate for purchases from anyone of our Corporate Sponsors for signing up on our Facebook Trip Event for this trip AND for liking SD.com if you haven't already AND for sharing the FB Trip booking on your page! (Must do all three!) - To enter send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with links to your postings along with NORTH CAROLINA SOCIAL MEDIA ENTRIES in the title
- Cash Discount: Use our e-check option to pay for your trip and our RED CASH DISCOUNTED PRICES will be applied at checkout.
- Active Duty Military Discount: $25 OFF Active Duty Military Discount for any active duty military of any country that fights for freedom. Thank you for your service. (Please be prepared to provide proof of service in person at time of check in)
- Member Rebate: File for your $25 member rebate within 30 days after the trip for SD premier and above membership levels (See my forums signature for link to the forms forum or click on the green Paper Forms button at the top of the forums . If you are new to the site send an email to email@example.com to get the password. PLEASE follow the directions on the form for proper submission & processing.)
- SAVE $75 by submitting your Documents within 21 days of booking this trip. If booking within 45 days of the trip please submit your documents within 3 days. Otherwise the $75 document processing fee will be added to your final invoice.
Only one (1) coupon code can be used per order
This is my NC home away from home and has been since I got certified in 1994. I've stayed in every room dozens of time but my fave is the 'bunkhouse' or 'girl's hang out' or 'dive central'. It has TONS of space and 2 full bathrooms and a kitchen area that helps me with the meals we will be serving on the trip. I'm talking about a quaint hotel that has been in NC longer than I've been alive, remodeled dozens of times due to storms that hit the area and holds ALL my most amazing NC Memories...the fisherman's Inn and diving hotel! Well its technically called Fisherman's Inn but more divers stay in it than fisherman. It is located on the Atlantic Beach Causeway, 1.6 miles on the left, after the right turnoff of highway 70 East in Morehead City.
Grills and picnic tables are available for our use on our private dock, behind the motel and next to the boats. All rooms have a refrigerator, cable TV and microwaves. Free Wi-Fi is also available.
It is comfortable, easy to deal with wet gear allowing for drying along wall in front as well as the upstairs bunkhouse railing. REMEMBER...we are taking the ENTIRE HOTEL so it will only be our group staying there which makes it super convenient and fun and safe for us and our gear.
Travel & Transfer Details:
You will fly into Raleigh Durham International RDU which is about 3+ hrs to the beach aka Atlantic Beach/Morehead City, NC. You can fly into New Bern but its a very small regional airport so may have baggage restrictions. However you will be only an hour or so from the beach.
No airport transfers are included but we will help you find others driving or flying to carpool and rideshare with.
GETTING TO NORTH CAROLINA & THE BEACH
- You can fly into RDU via all major carriers.
- You will then rent a car and drive to Atlantic Beach where the hotel is & Morehead City where the boat is.
- The drive is approx 3+ hrs from the RDU airport on Hwy 70. (We will provide complete driving directions & tips prior to the trip. ASK US FOR THESE DIRECTIONS AS YOU WILL GET LOST OTHERWISE. GPS IS NOT ALWAYS CORRECT...TRUST US!!)
- Alternatively you can DRIVE TO NC from wherever you wish. Some members are coming from the North East so you may be able to join them. Track this HERE
- We will help members see what others are doing or help with carpooling/ridesharing HERE
FLYING IN AND OUT OF RDU ... DISCUSS HERE:
I have been asked to help with suggestion regarding "Do Not Arrive Later times" and suggested "Do not depart sooner times" for our NC trip.
Arriving in RDU
Since its a 3 hr drive and you do not want to arrive too late because we have to get up at 5-5:30am the next morning to be at the dive shop UBER early... I would say do not arrive in RDU any later than 2 or 3pm at the latest. This will put you into Atlantic Beach if you do not get lost around 7-9pm based upon getting a rental car and getting out of the airport ON A SUMMER OR HOLIDAY WEEKEND DRIVING IN SUMMER/HOLIDAY TRAFFIC as everyone goes to the beach for the holidays (ok it just feels that way). If you want to join up with people in Atlantic Beach for dinner vs eating along the drive then I would shoot for arriving in RDU by 1-2 pm to get to Allantic beach by 6-7pm BEST CASE SCENARIO since its a busy summer/ holiday weekend.
Departing from RDU
As for return remember the following:
- You need to drive 3 hrs back and drop off a rental car and deal with transferring back to the airport etc.
- You need to allow enough time to finish off gassing from diving.
- So I would depart Atlantic Beach around 11:00-11:30am get lunch in Goldsboro at Wilber's BBQ (AMAZING NC BBQ) and plan to arrive at the airport around 2:30-3pm for a 5pm or later flight out of RDU. Of course you can modify accordingly but this allows you 3+ hrs to get back to the airport, time to drop the car etc and still have time for lunch stop on the way plus 2 hrs prior to your flight home since it is coming off a busy summer/holiday weekend.
- Plus you get to sleep in a little and we get a really NICE country style breakfast... biscuits and gravy, eggs and sausage or bacon etc. at the Corner Diver 1 block away before everyone leaves to go home. Its a traditional way to say goodbye and end a great trip. After that you can easily have time to go and see Queen Anne's Revenge Museum or the local Fort before getting on the road to return to RDU. If driving you will want to get on the road right after breakfast which opens early.
- Of course you can also take the extra time to pack up your things which you've been drying at the hotel to get ready to head home or fly out.
I hope this helps. PLEASE use THIS topic to discuss who is doing what!
There are none for US Citizens. For other global citizens, please review United States visa requirements posted on the Internet.
Trip Insurance is STRONGLY SUGGESTED and/ is NOT required on this trip! TRIP insurance is RELATIVELY inexpensive. Even if you have insurance that you think covers your trip…it is CHEAP (approx $100-$200) to get a supplemental policy to ensure you are covered for your investment in your dive trip. If you opt to not get trip insurance you are responsible for all losses related to your trip including not going for any reason. If diving a LIVEABOARD please consider the liveaboard rider offer by DiveAssure.com.
Dive Assure: for either a 'one time' policy OR an annual policy for BOTH Dive & Trip OR just Trip Insurance providing PRIMARY COVERAGE with excellent rates and coverage! Please use THIS LINK and/or reference SingleDivers.com via the drop-down menu under GLOBAL PARTNERS. (If you can not find the drop down, do not reference anyone and email firstname.lastname@example.org your policy info and we will do it for you via our Dive Assure company representative. OR SIMPLY USE THIS LINK AND YOU WILL BE AUTOMATICALLY TIED TO US. )
Insurance, Documentation & T&C's
DIVE Insurance is required!DIVE insurance is VERY inexpensive. Even if you have insurance that you think covers DIVING ACCIDENTS and air lifts…it is CHEAP (approx $100) to get a supplemental policy to ensure you are covered for an entire year of diving.
Dive Assure: for either a 'one time' policy OR an annual policy for BOTH Dive & Trip Insurance providing PRIMARY COVERAGE with excellent rates and coverage! Please reference SingleDivers.com via the drop-down menu under GLOBAL PARTNERS OR SIMPLY CLICK HERE. (If you can not find the drop down, do not reference anyone and email email@example.com your policy info and we will do it for you via our Dive Assure company representative.)
Trip Insurance is STRONGLY SUGGESTED and/or required (depending on the trip)! TRIP insurance is VERY inexpensive. Even if you have insurance that you think covers your trip…it is CHEAP (approx $100-$200) to get a supplemental policy to ensure you are covered for your investment in your dive trip. If you opt to not get trip insurance you are responsible for all losses related to your trip including not going for any reason.
All SingleDivers.com trips require necessary documentation to facilitate booking your trip and/or making it a better experience for you. Once you complete your documents online our automated system will take the information from your last trip with us and fill out your new trip forms for you. You then add any missing information and/or change anything that is no longer current. You will find the forms you need to complete under MY TRIPS which you will find under TRIPS in the main menu across the top of the site. Since each trip requires a unique set of docs, please choose the correct trip from your "My Trips" drop down and then complete the forms required for that trip. Some trips will also ask you to complete the resort or liveaboard's forms as well.
The INTERNATIONAL AIR AUTHORIZATION FORM is only required when you are having SingleDivers.com book air for you but this includes air that is part of the trip pkg price.
Not all of our forms are online as they are either infrequently used or being phased out. If you need a form that is not in our online directory, simply click on DOCS & FORMS in my signature line and you'll find the form. NOTE: Email firstname.lastname@example.org for the password to this 'forms' forum.
TERMS & CONDITIONS
All SingleDivers.com trips require:
- You complete the necessary documentation as referenced above for each trip you sign up to take with us. A $75 document fee will be applied if you fail to submit your online and uploaded documents withing 21 days* of signing up for a trip or within 3 days if signing up within 45 days of departure. NOTE THIS DOES NOT APPLY TO AIRFARE UNLESS SIGNING UP WITHIN 45 DAYS OF DEPARTURE. *Remember the Forms can be edited at any time up to 30 days prior to departure with updates such as insurance purchase/renewal, change of address, even preferences for rooming and diving so there is no reason to delay your initial Forms submissions. This enables us to meet the reporting deadlines imposed by our suppliers.
- SingleDivers.com LLC reserves the right to refuse service to anyone.
- You read all the trip details before booking and commit to being responsible for post trip booking follow up by use of our TRIP PM, FORUM DISCUSSIONS and in some cases emails. You commit to ask us how to use these tools if uncertain and commit to keeping your premier membership dues current and email on file current so we can contact you. Our tools require your dues and email to be current to work. Any delays/expenses/issues due to lack of trip information will be borne by the trip goer and NOT SingleDivers.com as we regularly and routinely use these tools to communicate extensively with you. If you are not hearing from us it means you are not using the tools we have in place. Email email@example.com for help.
- You have read the EXPERIENCE REQUIRED & TRAINING/WORKSHOPS information in the online trip details to ensure that you are able to safely and comfortably meet the requirements of the trip. Please contact to further discuss any questions you have about attending one of our trips. We often accept students who would not otherwise meet the stated trip requirements because they are taking a class that will then enable them to meet the trip specifications and they will be diving with an instructor or dive master during the dives.
- We require Dive Insurance for all dives and trips as stated above and we STRONGLY recommend trip insurance for all dives and trips but in some cases require it due to vendor specific mandates. Please see the online trip details under INSURANCE to see if the trip has optional or mandatory trip insurance requirements.
- In the event of cancellation, your trip insurance will be your first line of defense. Secondary remedies include some rights afforded to you based upon when you have to cancel your trip in writing. Please see THIS link for full additional trip cancellation details.
- Please read THIS link for our Guaranteed Double Occupancy Policy, Rooming Policies, Payment Terms, the "Ex" Rule etc
Continue reading on next post for diving info.
Edited by WreckWench, 23 April 2021 - 01:10 PM.