• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Weight loss and Diving

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 hnladue

hnladue

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue/Adv Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:enough

Posted 08 June 2004 - 11:44 AM

OK, I need some help (not mentally!!)

Been on Weight Watchers for a long time. Dropped 30 pounds. Now I've been stuck for the last 6 months. I started exercising every day, 3 months ago. Also I took more scuba classes. I STILL am not losing weight. Nuttin! Worked my BUTT off in rescus class, 5 dives last weekend. I'm sore all week from exercising. Every muscle hurts for the last 3 months, yet the stupid scale doesn't move!!! I am still following the WW diet, and drinking lots of water. Any help from you girls out there that have been here?? Had my blood tested last week (and yes it came out red, not GREEN) no call so I guess it came back normal (tested sugar and thyroid).

Stuck in a rut,
Heather.
Sempar Partus!!

#2 Diverlady

Diverlady

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW w/ specialties & drysuit user
  • Logged Dives:175 - as of Sep 18, 2004

Posted 08 June 2004 - 12:52 PM

First off, GOOD FOR YOU!!!

Excellent! Losing weight is a challenge so congratulations on sticking to your plan! :D

Hitting plateaus is common when working out so don't be discouraged. Changing up the routine can help break out of the rut but still no guarantees. I'm no expert at the weight loss thing but my boss swears by limiting carb intake after 3pm is what got her out of the rut!!

Best of luck with your goal and keep up the great work you've done so far!! I can't wait to see you in July so I can oooohhh and aaaaahhh over the change!!

Diverlady
FAILURE IS NOT AN OPTION!! It comes bundled with the software.

What do you mean "it doesn't come in PINK"?!?!

#3 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 08 June 2004 - 12:57 PM

Hey cutie...you HAVE to take your measurements...muscle weighs more then fat and from the sounds of your program you have definitely replaced fat with muscle...hence a drop in inches but no movement in the scales.

I actually weight a LOT....but I'm a much smaller size then my weight would indicate becuase I have a higher % of muscle aka lean body mass then I do fat. So as long as my clothes fit I don't care what the scales say.

You need to keep the program going you are doing and you NEED to eat to lose weight....however all calories are NOT created equal. Some calories have nutritional value to them and some are empty calories or only offer protien...too much is not good or only offer simple carbs (refined carbs i.e. breads, cereals, rice, pasta etc.)...also not good if too many are consumed.

Calories that are GOOD for you and will help you LOSE weight are fruits and veggies...perferably raw or only slightly cooked. (Cooking and/or processing destroys a good portion of the nutritonal value of many of the fruits or veggies we consume.) Note: Fruits and veggies are considered carbs...but they are COMPLEX carbs. What that means is that the fiber in them forces the body to break then down for evergy in two steps. Due to this 2-step process (no not the dance) the body converts the fuel from these calories into glyogen vs. simple sugar like it does when it converts breads, pastas, rice etc. Simple sugar triggers the body to horde the sugar for future use and therefore converts to fat VERY quickly. Glyogen on the other hand gets used immediately for fuel which we need.

Bottom line....you as a female need to consume approx 1800-2000+ calories a day if you are exercising so you have fuel to feed those muscles and feed your body. (ZD consumes 10,000 calories a day...however he burns almost that many daily as well!) If you drop your caloric or fuel intake too low the body thinks it is in a famine and it will become efficient on 500-900 calories just as it was on 1800-2000. Then when you eat more say 1000 calories you will GAIN weight because now the 1000 is 100 more then you body has now adapted itself to need.

Stay the course...drink 1 oz of water for EVERY 2 lbs of weight and eat MORE raw fruits and veggies which will help you to lose weight.

-Kamala
(Diving Nutritionist aka the day job)

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#4 coppermaus

coppermaus

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, working on DM

Posted 08 June 2004 - 01:02 PM

Hey Heather. I second the congrats. :D Sounds like you're working hard and being diligent about your program. But to give any good advice, we first need to know what you're currently doing. You say you're sore from excercising all week. What are you doing and how regularly?

BTW, saw a piece in a men's mag lately that listed off various activities and how many calories they burn per hour (this in a 180-lb male)*. What do you s'pose was #1? If you guessed sex, try again!

605 scuba diving
475 mowing the lawn with a push-mower
125 sex, vigorous
60 drinking beer slowly

How about having sex while drinking beer vigorously underwater?

*From memory, corrections forthcoming.
coppermaus

#5 triggerfish

triggerfish

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,712 posts
  • Cert Level:goddess.
  • Logged Dives:never enough

Posted 08 June 2004 - 01:28 PM

How about having sex while drinking beer vigorously underwater?

man, sign me up for THAT program!!!
it fits in perfectly with the "ANOTHER MAN IS GONNA SEE ME NAKED" diet plan!

heather, hang in there. as our sistuhs have said...it's plateau time. that's when we all get discouraged and fall back on old habits (ie my personal vegetarian diet of tofu and doritos)..

keep doin' what you're doin'....vary your routine....and remember that the scale only gives you a number...it doesn't tell you how yo look or feel :D

#6 hnladue

hnladue

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue/Adv Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:enough

Posted 08 June 2004 - 01:29 PM

OK! Exercise: besides Scuba.......
2 -45 min classes called Resist-A-Ball-"A versatile body training program designed to develop strength, power and endurance while inproving posture.
1-45 min Pilates class "A unique body conditioning system that improves posture, balance and flexibilty while strengthening the muscles. Pilates release tension through breth control and energizes the entire body. Focus of the class is on the core body (abs, back and gluteus)."
1-45 min IMX Pilates class "Integrated Movement eXercise is a class that offers a cross-conditioning system that shapes your legs, hips, back, chest, and arms. This is a full body workout'"
1-45 mintue Beginner Step "A basic step routine with simple choreography for those wanting to improve their skill. This class will incluse weights, Resist-a-blls and abdominal and back work."

Not to mention I spend time at home building my pond-still have a retaining wall to build with stones and lots of gardening!!

If someone says I need to exercise more, I'm gonna bite them!

WW-I have my meaurements. Need to do them again. And I do eat a lot of veges and fruit!! Love em! Just I gotta have some carbs at night (cravings!) but they only count as 4 points (120 calories)-I'm not giving those up!! And as for water...goes straight thru me!! So I drink it late afternoon thru evening. I get more then a liter a day. Any more and I wouldn't sleep as I'd be peeing all night!!
Sempar Partus!!

#7 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 08 June 2004 - 01:37 PM

'maus,

Let's go diving!
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#8 coppermaus

coppermaus

• PipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 08 June 2004 - 01:38 PM

Heather, I think you need to exercise more. :teeth: :teeth: Just wanted to see if you'd leave teeth marks!

Sounds like WW's assessment is right on. You are most likely in the throes of converting fat to muscle which doesn't do much on the scales but is great for your body. Also, dropping the pounds can go very quickly at first, which can be really inspiring since you can measure significant results, but then after that things slow down. That's natural as you get into better shape and have less to lose. It's more fine-tuning. So right now, stay the course. Keep the simple sugars low, and keep up the good work!

:D
coppermaus

#9 coppermaus

coppermaus

• PipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 08 June 2004 - 01:39 PM

Let's go diving!

Feeling the need to burn some calories, Walter?
coppermaus

#10 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 08 June 2004 - 01:42 PM

WW-I have my meaurements. Need to do them again. And I do eat a lot of veges and fruit!! Love em! Just I gotta have some carbs at night (cravings!) but they only count as 4 points (120 calories)-I'm not giving those up!! And as for water...goes straight thru me!! So I drink it late afternoon thru evening. I get more then a liter a day. Any more and I wouldn't sleep as I'd be peeing all night!!

A couple of things:

1. Drink your water BETWEEN meals not with meals...that way the body absorbs the water as needed and you don't dilute the digestive action of the enzymes digesting your food.

2. Kudos on veggies...try having a baked sweet potatoe or potatoe at night for the carb attack but you still are having a nutritious carb. OR try something my clients use which is complex carbs so give you the satisfaction you want...high in fiber so it helps you to be regular and lose weight...keeps you from having cravings...high in B vits so it keeps you calm and yet gives you more natural energy...contains essential fatty acids so it helps brain functioning...allows you to sleep better and it is very nutritionally dense for the calories....it is flax seed. You take it with juice and it would sub for your 4 exchanges you usually do at night. I also have a wonderful gummy bear that makes a super good snack that is VERY good tasting (I promise) yet it is made from fruit and veggies extracts so is nutritious as well as good tasting.

3. I'll work on some other ideas for you but have to get some work done!

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#11 TheSassyRabbit

TheSassyRabbit

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts
  • Cert Level:Divemaster/Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:>750

Posted 08 June 2004 - 01:45 PM

Heather -

You go girl! You rock! I doubt there's a woman on this board that can't relate to your situation in some way!

Lots of love and support from this Sassy Rabbit - keep your spirits up and don't lose sight of the goal.... sex with the lights on.... uh... yeah... did I lose track?

I don't know much about the Weight Watcher's program but hopefully they give you enough space within their plan for lots of protein and fresh veggies (is it a point counting program, a measuring quantity program, etc..?) Sounds like there is an expert nutritionist with great tips out there too - I love the water reminder!

SR

#12 Latitude Adjustment

Latitude Adjustment

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts
  • Cert Level:EanX
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 08 June 2004 - 02:05 PM

Congrats on the 30 but there is a California liveaboard I and Hydroplicity can recomend to get rid of a few more, between 4 cold dives a day and the worst meals I've ever gotten from a galley you will shed pounds. :teeth:
I, Latitude Adjustment (insert log in name), do hereby swear, (politely), that I shall not hold SingleDivers, (SD), nor any SD poster, (real or imagined), liable, nor shall I seek legal restitution, (real or imagined), for any perceived, (real or imagined), offenses I may incur, (or Incurrrrrrrrrr on talk like a pirate day), that may or may not be posted on this or any SCUBA related board, (real or imagined), by anyone, (real or imagined), anywhere, (real or imagined). Further, I void any right to privacy, (real or imagined), as it may, or may not relate to any posting, (real or imagined), about me, to me, for me, because of me, all about me, my dog, my cat, my bird, my monkey, my family, (real or imagined), my friends, (real or imagined), or my world, (real or imagined).

By all that is wet, I do hereby swear, (politely), and attest, upon pain of never diving again, (real or imagined), that I understand and affirm, that I agree to the above.

_________________________________________(log in name signature)
Signed and Dated

#13 Diverbrian

Diverbrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI DiveCon/IANTD Normoxic Trimix.....
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 08 June 2004 - 02:21 PM

All that I can say having seen you a few weeks ago, is that you look great. Your build has a lot of upper body muscle so you will probably indicate that you will be a little heavy on the scale anyways. That is cool. People looking at me never guess me for the 175-180 range for my build and size. I actually gained weight when I started swimming laps all of the time. I know one or two women with a build like yours. Cherish it. It's yours!

Stay the course, you are doing what you are doing and be happy with yourself. You seemed pretty fit to me when you were lugging around stuff for drysuit days.
A person should be judged in this life not by the mistakes that they make nor by the number of them. Rather they are to be judged by their recovery from them.

#14 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 08 June 2004 - 02:56 PM

Heather- congrats on the progress. Look at it that way.

Years ago I dropped 70 pounds (240 to 170) because I refused to buy new pants. I found that I would occasionally reach plateaus where the weight stopped dropping off for a while. I think it was my body trying to readjust to its new state. It may also have been due to the "conversion" of fat to muscle tissue, which is of higher density and makes you heaver for the same sized body.

Do you feel you're toned at this point? If so maybe the muscle mass has been established and it may be a while longer before weight starts dropping again. Don't let it worry you. Of course I'm no expert in weight loss but look at all you've accomplished already!

I might add that I let my weight go back up because people thought I was dying when I reached 170. Our bodies seem to have natural balance points (mine are at 205 and 225).

Doc

#15 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 08 June 2004 - 02:59 PM

'Maus... SCUBA diving burns up THAT many calories? Wow, my caloric intake must be much higher than I thought since I do 7-20 dives in an average week in cold water. If I cut out my favorite AM carbs (pan dulce or apple fritters), I would waste away to nothing.

Seriously, would be interested in the source of that info.

Doc

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users