• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Holbox - July 2006

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#16 Capn Jack

Capn Jack

I spend too much time on line

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts
  • Board Status:Working to fund the next trip
  • Cert Level:YMCA in 65, dove till 79, returned in 2002... now will work for air and/or beer as a DM
  • Logged Dives:not enough

Posted 01 August 2006 - 08:04 AM

My pictures were not anywhere close to as good as these. WW and I pulled digitals from her laptop to CDs, which I sent on to Mandi, along with my CD. She told us she would put together a consolidated DVD format for us. Scott had a couple of good video clips, as well as nice pix from Cozumel. Heidi also had some good shots, so stand by.

Mandi didn't say what the charge would be, but I have a check ready, just need to fill in the amount!!

Great, great time. Next time we'll need to collect pastries in the evening for the 7am underway times!
No aquarium, no tank in a marine land, however spacious it may be, can begin to duplicate the conditions of the sea. And no dolphin who inhabits one of those aquariums or one of those marine lands can be considered normal.
Jacques Yves Cousteau

#17 sqzmee

sqzmee

Getting started

• Pip
  • 49 posts
  • Cert Level:OW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:275

Posted 01 August 2006 - 10:44 AM

Wow Daryl, these photos are so wonderful!
I love reading & seeing everyone's adventure stories from Holbox! I also recommend it for every diver at least once. It's an experience of a life time.

Thanks for sharing your photos Daryl.
Jules

#18 mantarraya

mantarraya

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:>100

Posted 01 August 2006 - 01:56 PM

I think we can all agree that the whale shark, despite its apparently shrinking size (study info documenting this was posted in a separate thread), poses a significant photographic challenge to even the most intrepid and skilled of photographers.

I had a truly great time in Holbox and will highly recommend the lobster fettucine at Los Pelicanos to anyway. Ask the Wench - she ate a lot of mine after her dinner didn't come (actually it did come after everyone else was done, and it looked great, too - a salmon/spinach crepe). Lobster pizza at the other place whose name escapes me was also good.

It was great to see that Cozumel island has bounced back as well as it has after the hurricane. Diving was good, but just not great like it was pre-hurricane. Nonetheless, I will keeping going to Coz.

Thanks to the Wench and Scott for their roles in putting together the trip, thanks to my great roomie, and thanks to all the entertaining SDers that were on the trip. I enjoyed meeting, snorkeling/diving with you all! I fully appreciated CapnJack's jokes!!! But I still think the snorkeling with whale sharks in a dry suit is a bit odd!!!

Also, it was all the manta rays in Holbox that inspired my new screen name, mantarraya. Being the nerd that I can be, I like that is is Spanish, is the word for manta ray, and also includes the word 'array', something to which only a nerd type, albeit an ecology nerd type can relate.
Back after a long absence - whew, too busy at work!

#19 Latitude Adjustment

Latitude Adjustment

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts
  • Cert Level:EanX
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 02 August 2006 - 01:19 PM

Lee, the new name is easier to ponounce too :D

For those of you who think Wreck Wench doesn't breath here are some bubbles and before someone suggest otherwise, remember she is diving dry. Okay she is nuts for doing that in 84 degree water but we already knew that :teeth:

Posted Image

Edited by Latitude Adjustment, 02 August 2006 - 01:20 PM.

I, Latitude Adjustment (insert log in name), do hereby swear, (politely), that I shall not hold SingleDivers, (SD), nor any SD poster, (real or imagined), liable, nor shall I seek legal restitution, (real or imagined), for any perceived, (real or imagined), offenses I may incur, (or Incurrrrrrrrrr on talk like a pirate day), that may or may not be posted on this or any SCUBA related board, (real or imagined), by anyone, (real or imagined), anywhere, (real or imagined). Further, I void any right to privacy, (real or imagined), as it may, or may not relate to any posting, (real or imagined), about me, to me, for me, because of me, all about me, my dog, my cat, my bird, my monkey, my family, (real or imagined), my friends, (real or imagined), or my world, (real or imagined).

By all that is wet, I do hereby swear, (politely), and attest, upon pain of never diving again, (real or imagined), that I understand and affirm, that I agree to the above.

_________________________________________(log in name signature)
Signed and Dated

#20 Jazzdiver

Jazzdiver

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue + Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:165

Posted 02 August 2006 - 02:00 PM

Although not my final edits, I put together a small collection of photos to share via the web with my family, to show them more about my visit to Holbox. For anyone here interested in seeing a few more photos, they can be found at http://ambress.com/t...holbox/preview/

Regards,

Daryl
Life has no meaning without depth!
I get high by going down.
Dive SAFE!

the only thing better than diving in life, is women! ;)

#21 Latitude Adjustment

Latitude Adjustment

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts
  • Cert Level:EanX
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 02 August 2006 - 02:09 PM

Nice pictures Daryl and nice hotel, I'll bet your's even had a toilet seat.
I, Latitude Adjustment (insert log in name), do hereby swear, (politely), that I shall not hold SingleDivers, (SD), nor any SD poster, (real or imagined), liable, nor shall I seek legal restitution, (real or imagined), for any perceived, (real or imagined), offenses I may incur, (or Incurrrrrrrrrr on talk like a pirate day), that may or may not be posted on this or any SCUBA related board, (real or imagined), by anyone, (real or imagined), anywhere, (real or imagined). Further, I void any right to privacy, (real or imagined), as it may, or may not relate to any posting, (real or imagined), about me, to me, for me, because of me, all about me, my dog, my cat, my bird, my monkey, my family, (real or imagined), my friends, (real or imagined), or my world, (real or imagined).

By all that is wet, I do hereby swear, (politely), and attest, upon pain of never diving again, (real or imagined), that I understand and affirm, that I agree to the above.

_________________________________________(log in name signature)
Signed and Dated

#22 Jazzdiver

Jazzdiver

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue + Nitrox

Posted 02 August 2006 - 02:20 PM

Hi Ray,

Thanks for the compliments. Yes, Casa Sandra was pretty nice and supposedly is one of the better choices on Isla Holbox, which I think I'd agree with based upon the other places I saw Sunday when I walked down the beach a ways. Once the island gets cleaned up a bit more and repairs made from the hurricane damage, I expect other places will look more favorable. I had no complaints about Casa Sandra at all, and yes, thankfully no toilet issues either!

The one thing they should do, is provide signs in the room that are in English, as I forgot it is customary to leave towels in the bathroom floor or in the shower/bathtub when requesting a fresh change of towels. Although our towels were still quite damp, the fact we left them hanging over the shower rail or on towel bars found them left ignored by the maid. As it turns out, a sign on the sink basin says, in Spanish, that towels should be left in the floor when a change of towels is desired, as well as that toilet tissue should be used very sparingly to avoid problems when flushing the toilet, or else thrown into the trash. Fortunately we had no problems in that regard either!

FUTURE TRAVELER TIP: Another thing about Casa Sandra, and quite possibly other lodging on Isla Holbox, is the use of 2-prong electrical outlets. If you take any electrical device with a 3-prong cord, be sure and take an adapter. Also, in the Casa Sandra bathroom, the bath outlet receptacle was obscured slightly, such that an a/c adapter for a hair dryer wouldn't fit. So, for such a situation, a two-prong multi-tap adapter will be useful to provide an offset plug.

Daryl

Edited by Jazzdiver, 02 August 2006 - 02:35 PM.

Life has no meaning without depth!
I get high by going down.
Dive SAFE!

the only thing better than diving in life, is women! ;)

#23 mantarraya

mantarraya

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 02:37 PM

Lee, the new name is easier to ponounce too :D

Indeed it is!

For those of you who think Wreck Wench doesn't breath here are some bubbles and before someone suggest otherwise, remember she is diving dry. Okay she is nuts for doing that in 84 degree water but we already knew that :teeth:

However,she was likely the warmest when the heavy rain beat down on us on the way back from the dive sites on Cozumel on Thursday. I was just glad I was short enough to be somewhat well-protected from the rain by the large huddle of much taller people all around me.

Edited by mantarraya, 02 August 2006 - 02:38 PM.

#24 sandiegocarol

sandiegocarol

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 07:30 PM

I think we can all agree that the whale shark, despite its apparently shrinking size (study info documenting this was posted in a separate thread), poses a significant photographic challenge to even the most intrepid and skilled of photographers.

I had a truly great time in Holbox and will highly recommend the lobster fettucine at Los Pelicanos to anyway. Ask the Wench - she ate a lot of mine after her dinner didn't come (actually it did come after everyone else was done, and it looked great, too - a salmon/spinach crepe). Lobster pizza at the other place whose name escapes me was also good.

It was great to see that Cozumel island has bounced back as well as it has after the hurricane. Diving was good, but just not great like it was pre-hurricane. Nonetheless, I will keeping going to Coz.

Thanks to the Wench and Scott for their roles in putting together the trip, thanks to my great roomie, and thanks to all the entertaining SDers that were on the trip. I enjoyed meeting, snorkeling/diving with you all! I fully appreciated CapnJack's jokes!!! But I still think the snorkeling with whale sharks in a dry suit is a bit odd!!!

Also, it was all the manta rays in Holbox that inspired my new screen name, mantarraya. Being the nerd that I can be, I like that is is Spanish, is the word for manta ray, and also includes the word 'array', something to which only a nerd type, albeit an ecology nerd type can relate.

I can honestly say I had never met anyone held at gunpoint by hooded men before- this trip had it's tales of bravado and indian princesses who salsa dance and cap'n stu... w/the jokes This was high on my entertainment factor - never a dull moment on this one!!! (oh and thanks for the roomie bit)

#25 Capn Jack

Capn Jack

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts
  • Board Status:Working to fund the next trip
  • Cert Level:YMCA in 65, dove till 79, returned in 2002... now will work for air and/or beer as a DM
  • Logged Dives:not enough

Posted 02 August 2006 - 07:40 PM

I can honestly say I had never met anyone held at gunpoint by hooded men before- this trip had it's tales of bravado and indian princesses who salsa dance and cap'n stu... w/the jokes This was high on my entertainment factor - never a dull moment on this one!!! (oh and thanks for the roomie bit)

Just a reminder, it was divewire, not me, cutting eye-holes in his pillow case following the description of how drawn said victim was to the hooded kidnapper.

Another point is required to be made regarding water temperature - frigid - which causes shrinkage. Just ask Scott, as he was also very adamant about the chilling effect of the unusually cold gulf waters.
No aquarium, no tank in a marine land, however spacious it may be, can begin to duplicate the conditions of the sea. And no dolphin who inhabits one of those aquariums or one of those marine lands can be considered normal.
Jacques Yves Cousteau

#26 sandiegocarol

sandiegocarol

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 07:45 PM

Just a reminder, it was divewire, not me, cutting eye-holes in his pillow case following the description of how drawn said victim was to the hooded kidnapper.

Another point is required to be made regarding water temperature - frigid - which causes shrinkage. Just ask Scott, as he was also very adamant about the chilling effect of the unusually cold gulf waters.

problem was color on that one - gotta have a BLACK pillowcase (to mimic that memorable day as told by our fellow Cozumelian Mantarraya... trying to fill in to save myself ...) As Mantarraya expressed - it was chilling to the bone boys and girls, chilling to the bone

#27 mantarraya

mantarraya

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 08:23 PM

It is indeed important that the hood be black!

And I'll accept the "shrinkage-due-cold-water" explanation for Holbox only!

#28 sandiegocarol

sandiegocarol

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 09:54 PM

It is indeed important that the hood be black!

And I'll accept the "shrinkage-due-cold-water" explanation for Holbox only!

then why was I wearin' board shorts and a body glove top?

#29 pocahontas

pocahontas

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW

Posted 07 August 2006 - 04:15 PM

AH - I must say I miss you guys!
Next time we must have a girls night out. Maybe if we play our cards right we'll even get kidnapped by some hooded guys!!
The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

Stopping by Woods - Robert. Frost

#30 mantarraya

mantarraya

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 04:31 PM

AH - I must say I miss you guys!
Next time we must have a girls night out. Maybe if we play our cards right we'll even get kidnapped by some hooded guys!!

We should get so lucky!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users