• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

What Have You Seen?

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 gcbryan

gcbryan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts
  • Logged Dives:620

Posted 11 August 2006 - 05:34 PM

What marine life have you seen that was relatively rare for your area?

Recently a friend of mine (and others that may be on this board) saw a Pacific Electric Ray locally at Redondo.
I've never seen one and didn't even know that it was possible to see up here. He has pictures.

According to the marine life identification books the rarest creature I've seen up here is a Quillfish (not to be confused with a Quilback Rockfish).

What have you seen that would be considered rare for your area?

#2 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,588 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 11 August 2006 - 05:44 PM

Well they used to be rare about 2 years ago...of course you know I dive in NC alot...and well about 2 years ago we started spotting Indio Pacific LionFish (see below) and NO they don't belong there. Now they are everywhere and growing at an alarming rate. It appears that they do not have any natural preditors so they are now on almost every wreck, can be seen in small schools and are growing quite large in size.

Here is one off Morehead City, NC:

Attached Images

• MemDay02_Naeco_LionFish.JPG

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#3 gcbryan

gcbryan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts

Posted 11 August 2006 - 05:50 PM

Well they used to be rare about 2 years ago...of course you know I dive in NC alot...and well about 2 years ago we started spotting Indio Pacific LionFish (see below) and NO they don't belong there. Now they are everywhere and growing at an alarming rate. It appears that they do not have any natural preditors so they are now on almost every wreck, can be seen in small schools and are growing quite large in size.

Here is one off Morehead City, NC:

That's amazing. I hadn't heard about these fish being in the Morehead area. Someone dumped their home aquarium and voila?

#4 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,588 posts

Posted 11 August 2006 - 05:56 PM

That's amazing. I hadn't heard about these fish being in the Morehead area. Someone dumped their home aquarium and voila?

One theory is the home aquarium and the other is that they came in via the bilge water on some of the commerce ships from the far east. That area is a very busy shipping/military area.

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#5 Latitude Adjustment

Latitude Adjustment

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts
  • Cert Level:EanX
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 11 August 2006 - 07:08 PM

I took a picture of a sailfin tang in Key Largo, Ladie Atkins at REEF tried to tell me it was an old picture from a Pacific trip but that camera had never been in the Pacific!
I, Latitude Adjustment (insert log in name), do hereby swear, (politely), that I shall not hold SingleDivers, (SD), nor any SD poster, (real or imagined), liable, nor shall I seek legal restitution, (real or imagined), for any perceived, (real or imagined), offenses I may incur, (or Incurrrrrrrrrr on talk like a pirate day), that may or may not be posted on this or any SCUBA related board, (real or imagined), by anyone, (real or imagined), anywhere, (real or imagined). Further, I void any right to privacy, (real or imagined), as it may, or may not relate to any posting, (real or imagined), about me, to me, for me, because of me, all about me, my dog, my cat, my bird, my monkey, my family, (real or imagined), my friends, (real or imagined), or my world, (real or imagined).

By all that is wet, I do hereby swear, (politely), and attest, upon pain of never diving again, (real or imagined), that I understand and affirm, that I agree to the above.

_________________________________________(log in name signature)
Signed and Dated

#6 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 11 August 2006 - 07:40 PM

With the unseasonably warm waters off SoCal, I'm seeing a lot of Warm Water Wussies in our otherwise cool waters. Now that's unusual!

#7 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,588 posts

Posted 11 August 2006 - 08:38 PM

With the unseasonably warm waters off SoCal, I'm seeing a lot of Warm Water Wussies in our otherwise cool waters. Now that's unusual!

:wavey:

I'm guessing you are not talking about the critters...but the 2 legged wussies eh???

formerly...

#8 blacktar

blacktar

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI OWSI, Normoxic Trimix, full cave
  • Logged Dives:700

Posted 11 August 2006 - 08:43 PM

I have been seeing Lionfish here in Bermuda as well. They are not common, but I keep on finding more and more.

I did my first Bermuda cave dive today. I count that as quite rare, because most of the caves are on private property and it is very difficult to locate and gain access to them. The entrance to the cave is a good ten minute walk from where we parked the bikes. A pain wearing full gear. The dive was 44 minutes long. The temp was from 25-28 C, with a max depth of 14 meters. This cave has a very thick layer of silt on the bottom. Greater than two feet. But there are several very large air pockets with stunning formations. Lots of soda straws and stalactites. It was a very beautiful dive, and I can't wait to go back next week.
Patrick

cave1.jpg
BLACKTAR
"The edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who know where it is are those that have gone over." Hunter S. Thompson

#9 Brinybay

Brinybay

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:580

Posted 11 August 2006 - 09:25 PM

With out a doubt, this one. Only been seen in Puget Sound twice, and only in the summer, around June.

Posted Image
"The cure for anything is saltwater--sweat, tears, or the sea." - Isak Dinesen

"A good marriage is like an interlocking neurosis, where the rocks in one person's head fill up the holes in the other's."

#10 tonyinasia

tonyinasia

Getting started

• Pip
  • 39 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced Open Water
  • Logged Dives:212

Posted 11 August 2006 - 09:44 PM

One of the neatest things I've seen over the last few years was this Ribbon Eel. Have only seen one.

Attached Images

• Ribbon_eel_Similans.jpg

#11 Travelnsj

Travelnsj

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 11 August 2006 - 10:02 PM

:wavey: Two very unusual things I have seen were a Sea Hare at the Jake Plane in Palau and Dragon eels at Christmas Island.

Bill call us 80+ people what ever you like...you....you....Cold water Macho Man :thankyou: .....I have not had my pinkie in that cold water in years...and until it turns 80 at 60' probably.....never will again.....you should try 80+..you will never go back :cool2:
You must endeavor to pursue!

#12 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 11 August 2006 - 10:09 PM

I don't know enough about fish to know what's rare and what is not. But I have a feeling I am going to get a FAST education on extremeophiles in the next year. Looking at incredibly rare species that exist in caves. There is a lot of work being done on this in Florida, Mexico, and the Carribean at the moment.

I lucked out in that one of the worlds foremost researchers in this area of bioligy, uses our dive shop as a base of operations for florida work.

I'll get to carry tanks!! (at least until I can get rebreather certified)

#13 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 12 August 2006 - 12:00 AM

:cool2: Two very unusual things I have seen were a Sea Hare at the Jake Plane in Palau and Dragon eels at Christmas Island.

Bill call us 80+ people what ever you like...you....you....Cold water Macho Man :lmao: .....I have not had my pinkie in that cold water in years...and until it turns 80 at 60' probably.....never will again.....you should try 80+..you will never go back :D

Hey, I'd go to warm water every winter if I could afford it, Scott. I miss the tropics... done a fair bit of diving near the equator in the past. However, they'll have to wait until my TV show and newspaper column catch on on the mainland!

79 at the surface here and it is just mid-August! We're on our way to 80 F.

#14 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 16 August 2006 - 11:45 AM

Recently a friend of mine (and others that may be on this board) saw a Pacific Electric Ray locally at Redondo. I've never seen one and didn't even know that it was possible to see up here. He has pictures.

According to the marine life identification books the rarest creature I've seen up here is a Quillfish (not to be confused with a Quilback Rockfish).

Everytime I think I see something rare, Janna Nichols (REEF expert) corrects me, tells me I need to work on my Fish ID, tells me I'm nuts, and then asks to check the "air" in my tank! :P Actually I have been fortunate to make repetitve sightenings of the critters I have seen. Those that are less common for me (and maybe other divers), however, are the Grunt Sculpin (but I did spot one again on the North Wall to show my students this past weekend - I am starting to recommend that site as a place to see them) and the Leopard Dorid (I have seen less than 5 of these, all in Hood Canal and twice at Mike's Beach in about 20fsw) - they have cool purple spots!

Then there was this one time I thought I spotted a China Rockfish in the Puget Sound....
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#15 gcbryan

gcbryan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 04:29 PM

Recently a friend of mine (and others that may be on this board) saw a Pacific Electric Ray locally at Redondo. I've never seen one and didn't even know that it was possible to see up here. He has pictures.

Everytime I think I see something rare, Janna Nichols (REEF expert) corrects me, tells me I need to work on my Fish ID, tells me I'm nuts, and then asks to check the "air" in my tank! :thankyou: Actually I have been fortunate to make repetitve sightenings of the critters I have seen. Those that are less common for me (and maybe other divers), however, are the Grunt Sculpin (but I did spot one again on the North Wall to show my students this past weekend - I am starting to recommend that site as a place to see them) and the Leopard Dorid (I have seen less than 5 of these, all in Hood Canal and twice at Mike's Beach in about 20fsw) - they have cool purple spots!

Then there was this one time I thought I spotted a China Rockfish in the Puget Sound....

Maybe we'll see a Grunt Sculpin and a Leopard Dorid Saturday. They are around from time to time at Cove 2.

That's funny about the China Rockfish. They're one of my favorite fish and are only seen near areas exposed to the open ocean/coast. There is a local book called "Northwest Boat Dives-60 dives in Puget Sound and Hood Canal". The author says that you may see China Rockfish in almost every dive site he reports on. :respect:

They are easy to see on boat dives from Neah Bay on out to the coast. I've even seen a few hidden away on a shore dive at Sekiu. Unless someone brought one from the coast and dropped it off in Puget Sound you won't be seeing one here.

It is easy to initially mistake certain specific Quilback Rockfish for China's when their coloration is just right but if you either have seen many China's or look for the yellow checkmark feature on their sides you will easily be able to distinguish the two.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users