• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

What Have You Seen?

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#16 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 16 August 2006 - 04:44 PM

It is easy to initially mistake certain specific Quilback Rockfish for China's when their coloration is just right but if you either have seen many China's or look for the yellow checkmark feature on their sides you will easily be able to distinguish the two.

That's what Janna said and then she put me through a battery of photo quizzes between brooding quillbacks (which are often mistaken for Chinas), and I passed the tests. Interestingly a year or two later we were both doing presentations at Northwest Sports Divers when Chris and Dave ran the shop. During her Fish ID presentation she made me the brunt of her China Rockfish joke and Bob (Grateful Diver) corroborated the fact that there had been many a reliable sighting by many a reliable fish id diver of China Rockfish on that site, hence the name. No joke. So it still really remains a mystery.....well to me at least. Janna still thinks I am a doofus.
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#17 gcbryan

gcbryan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts
  • Logged Dives:620

Posted 16 August 2006 - 04:53 PM

It is easy to initially mistake certain specific Quilback Rockfish for China's when their coloration is just right but if you either have seen many China's or look for the yellow checkmark feature on their sides you will easily be able to distinguish the two.

That's what Janna said and then she put me through a battery of photo quizzes between brooding quillbacks (which are often mistaken for Chinas), and I passed the tests. Interestingly a year or two later we were both doing presentations at Northwest Sports Divers when Chris and Dave ran the shop. During her Fish ID presentation she made me the brunt of her China Rockfish joke and Bob (Grateful Diver) corroborated the fact that there had been many a reliable sighting by many a reliable fish id diver of China Rockfish on that site, hence the name. No joke. So it still really remains a mystery.....well to me at least. Janna still thinks I am a doofus.

I never argue with Janna :thankyou:

#18 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic

Posted 16 August 2006 - 05:51 PM

Janna still thinks I am a doofus.

I never argue with Janna :D

:o hey wait a minute.... :P
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#19 CaptSaaz

CaptSaaz

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,194 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:88

Posted 17 August 2006 - 09:09 AM

This I found on the Turks & Caicos trip... Called a Venus Girdle, a jellyfish.
Been trying to photoshop the picture to make it look better but it's been a real struggle.

Attached Images

• T_C0079.jpg

We all must believe in something... I believe I'll have another beer

#20 sudsymark

sudsymark

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,062 posts
  • Cert Level:Certified as teenager, SSI DiveCon and Scuba Ranger Instructor
  • Logged Dives:130

Posted 17 August 2006 - 01:30 PM

I dont know how uncommon they are but a dive buddy saw BABY toad fish in Cozumel. She said after years of diving this is the first time she has seen babies.
In the end we will conserve only what we love; we will love only what we underdstand; and we will only understand what we are taught. -Baba Dioum

#21 gcbryan

gcbryan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts

Posted 06 September 2006 - 11:49 PM

I went on a dive this weekend where we had great viz and happened upon dozens of squid laying eggs and swimming circles around a moorage buoy line. It's not totally rare but it's rare to have great viz and be there at the right time. It would have made great video but no one had a camera with them.

#22 ScubaGypsy

ScubaGypsy

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts
  • Cert Level:DM
  • Logged Dives:1500+

Posted 07 September 2006 - 10:23 AM

The has been several local news reports lately of a manatee being spotted in Rhode Island waters. There is further speculation that this might be the same manatee that had been spotted in the Hudson river earlier in August.

There have also been several reports of lionfish being seen by divers. Currently there are alot of tropical fish within Rhode Island waters because the Gulf stream brings in hatchlings late in the summer though these tropicals will die off sometime in the next month or so. However the presence of lionfish is puzzeling as these are typically from the south Pacific.
The sea is everything........Its breath is pure and healthy. It is an immense desert, where man is never lonely, for he feels life stirring on all sides. The sea is only the embodiment of a supernatural and wonderful existence. It is nothing but love and emotion; it is the 'Living Infinite,' ..........

Capt. Nemo...........20,000 Leagues under the Sea

#23 Cephalopod

Cephalopod

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • Cert Level:Open Water Instructor.
  • Logged Dives:1963 to present...and me with just ten fingers!!!

Posted 07 September 2006 - 11:21 AM

While diving Lake Travis, near Austin, TX, I spotted some strange, and very colorful fresh water fish, approximately 2" to 4" in length, that definitely were a cross between South African Ciclids, and the local sunfish, and possibly bluegills.

The dead giveaway was the oversized, extended dorsal fin, and its long, flowing, colorful, rear tip, followed by iridescent body colors definitely not native to North American fresh water fish.

I raised ciclids, brackish, and salt water fish, for several decades (yes..decades), so I know ciclids very well. One of the most colorful fresh water species in the world. While probably too small to have a major impact on the local fauna, one only has to look at the impact the ugly Nile Perch has had on Florida ponds, rivers and lakes, and its complete destruction of indigenous species in many locations.

So...all you aquarium fans out there, be careful what you toss in your nearby lake, creek or pond.

"Ceph"

Edited by Cephalopod, 07 September 2006 - 05:09 PM.

"The most dangerous creature you will encounter in any ocean, and the only one truly worth worrying about, is yourself!" H. E. Potter, General Public Nuisance, circa 2005

#24 jextract

jextract

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor, Divemaster, Nitrox, Rescue, Wreck, ...
  • Logged Dives:120ish

Posted 07 September 2006 - 11:36 AM

Hey Dr. Bill, did you see the oarfish that came ashore in Catalina?
http://web.mac.com/a...te/Welcome.html
"Because I accept the definition, does not mean I accept the defined." -- ScubaHawk
"Love is blind but lust likes lacy panties" -- SanDiegoCarol
"If you're gonna be dumb, you'd better be tough." -- Phillip Manor
"If I know the answer I'll tell you the answer, and if I don't I'll just respond cleverly." -- Donald Rumsfeld

#25 Cephalopod

Cephalopod

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 07 September 2006 - 11:51 AM

What have you seen that would be considered rare for your area?

With out a doubt, this one. Only been seen in Puget Sound twice, and only in the summer, around June.

Posted Image

Brinybay, Nice photo! Normally, not much chance of this close of an approach. Exceptionally clear conditions, and obvious distraction, worked very much in your favor. Your quiet hovering technique must have been flawless! Were you using a CCR?

Never use a strobe! They can be extremely shy! If they are accompanied by the male of the species, always keep a respectful distance...as they can be nasty tempered and very aggresive!

I cannot say for certain, but there are unconfirmed reports that the presence of alcohol sedates them. I've had some limited success baiting them with various types of beef steaks, but there's no guarantee. Their feeding habits vary wildly. If you are lucky, they will get curious and move near enough to check you out. Sometimes you can get extremely close, and then, for no apparent reason, they just disappear. Nothing to be done about it...just keep trying. I guess that's why we call them "Wildlife"!

It's illegal to spear them, If you want one to keep, might try a "Slurpgun".

"Ceph"

Edited by Cephalopod, 07 September 2006 - 12:08 PM.

"The most dangerous creature you will encounter in any ocean, and the only one truly worth worrying about, is yourself!" H. E. Potter, General Public Nuisance, circa 2005

#26 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 07 September 2006 - 12:13 PM

They can be extremely shy!

You're obviously mistaking this specimen with something else. She's never shy.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#27 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts

Posted 07 September 2006 - 01:37 PM

I got to see my first Pacific Spiny Lumpsucker...courtesy of the Seattle Aquarium!!! :)

#28 gcbryan

gcbryan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts

Posted 07 September 2006 - 02:10 PM

I got to see my first Pacific Spiny Lumpsucker...courtesy of the Seattle Aquarium!!! :)

Hey, that's cheating!

#29 Brinybay

Brinybay

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:580

Posted 07 September 2006 - 02:51 PM

Yes, definitely not shy. Just so you know Ceph, that's our very own SD founder/lost her Wreck Wench during her visit to the PNW. Uncomfirmed reports that alcohol has the opposite effect on her. She's from Texas, remember.
"The cure for anything is saltwater--sweat, tears, or the sea." - Isak Dinesen

"A good marriage is like an interlocking neurosis, where the rocks in one person's head fill up the holes in the other's."

#30 Cephalopod

Cephalopod

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 07 September 2006 - 05:23 PM

Yes, definitely not shy. Just so you know Ceph, that's our very own SD founder/lost her Wreck Wench during her visit to the PNW. Uncomfirmed reports that alcohol has the opposite effect on her. She's from Texas, remember.

WELLLL...kick my horse, and call me "Bubba"! :)

She dosen't look a wreck! Where in Texas is "PNW" located anyway? Is it near Gunbarrell City???

It appears to be pronounced "Pun-Wa". I believe this to be an Apachie term, which loosely translates to mean: "Let's chicken-fry some Pacific Lump Suckers tonight."

"Ceph"

Edited by Cephalopod, 07 September 2006 - 05:25 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users