• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

New Profile Requirements

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 24 August 2006 - 02:56 PM

Please note that this thread relates to this Announcement by Stan. - CMT489

Thanks DD! I've updated my profile.
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#2 annasea

annasea

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 03:08 PM

Great job as always, Stan! :cool2:

But is it possible to remove the "loc-" from the info that's displayed under people's avatars? And maybe even the "*"? :cheerleader: (I think it looks too busy since it's unnecessary text.)

Just a suggestion. :lmao:

#3 Desert_Diver

Desert_Diver

Everyone knows me

• Charter Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI AOW, TDI Nitrox (does it really matter to you??)
  • Logged Dives:130 something

Posted 24 August 2006 - 03:28 PM

Great job as always, Stan! :cool2:

But is it possible to remove the "loc-" from the info that's displayed under people's avatars? And maybe even the "*"? :cheerleader: (I think it looks too busy since it's unnecessary text.)

Just a suggestion. :lmao:

The asterisk is a convention started by someone here to note Required Fields, so I merely followed it.

Originally I hadn't put the 'loc' part in, and it scattered the fields alphabetically all over the profile. I can't control the field order that's displayed in the Profile and Search pages by any method other than forcing the field names, though. Got any better ideas? Preferably something less cluttered than what I did? I shrunk it down as far as made sense to keep them together in the Search and Profile pages.

If I rename them, it won't change the data that's entered already, ONLY the displayed field name.

#4 gcbryan

gcbryan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts
  • Logged Dives:620

Posted 24 August 2006 - 05:26 PM

I can't post on your other thread as I'm not an admin but regarding the info listed under everyone's avatar I think much of it can be eliminated. We don't need to display someone's membership number (who cares) and it shows you are from Plano, Texas on one line so why do we need another line showing City-Plano and another line showing State-Texas and Country-USA?

My $.02.

#5 cmt489

cmt489

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,346 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:75+

Posted 24 August 2006 - 05:30 PM

Given that some posts have been created with respect to this Announcement by Stan, I have created this thread so that people can provide their comments with respect to this change.

#6 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 24 August 2006 - 05:42 PM

Great job as always, Stan! :P

But is it possible to remove the "loc-" from the info that's displayed under people's avatars? And maybe even the "*"? :o (I think it looks too busy since it's unnecessary text.)

Just a suggestion. :P

Got any better ideas? Preferably something less cluttered than what I did?

If it causes trouble to change it, I would suggest simply not having it displayed below the avatar as you can see to the left. Leave the "From" field for people to see where the member is from.

These new fields will be great for searching, for Angels, for Happy Hour planners, for event coordinators, and for members interested in finding other members in their area.

Great job Stan. I understand this was a project that many SDers were requesting.
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#7 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 24 August 2006 - 06:21 PM

Darn, you mean other members will now be able to find me? I'll have to check it out to make sure I can still use Santa Catalina Island instead of Avalon.

#8 Twinklez

Twinklez

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 24 August 2006 - 10:17 PM

I'd like to think that everyone on SD is my friend, but from experience I know that's not always the case and I know that my safety is not something that SD can ensure.

Having been one of the members stalked online by some creep who saw me on SD last year, I think it's very thoughtless to require members to include their specific city and state for all to see, especially since many of us are frequently referred to by first name and sometimes last.

Had thought I'd like to change my avatar tonight, but so long as these fields are now required my avatar will simply have to remain what it is.

Sorry Stan...I don't like it at all; and must be up front and honest about my feelings on this one.

#9 AliKat

AliKat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,232 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 11:58 PM

I'd like to think that everyone on SD is my friend, but from experience I know that's not always the case and I know that my safety is not something that SD can ensure.

Having been one of the members stalked online by some creep who saw me on SD last year, I think it's very thoughtless to require members to include their specific city and state for all to see, especially since many of us are frequently referred to by first name and sometimes last.

Had thought I'd like to change my avatar tonight, but so long as these fields are now required my avatar will simply have to remain what it is.

Sorry Stan...I don't like it at all; and must be up front and honest about my feelings on this one.

I like the idea, but each field should remain an independent option. I agree with Twinklez - while I have no problems with id'ing my city and state, some may only want to say what state they live in - others only country. If we make this type of info "required" we will loose a lot of members.
"

#10 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 25 August 2006 - 04:42 AM

Having the search option is great - if you want to be included in the search. Being included in searches should be optional. Less than 10% of our members have 50 or more posts. The chances of getting this info entered by most of them is pretty slim anyway. We should make these fields optional.

Edited by Walter, 25 August 2006 - 04:44 AM.

No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#11 Desert_Diver

Desert_Diver

Everyone knows me

• Charter Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI AOW, TDI Nitrox (does it really matter to you??)
  • Logged Dives:130 something

Posted 25 August 2006 - 03:35 PM

The 'Location' field was required up until around last November or December, and we didn't lose too many folks over it. Dunno why they turned it off, 'cos the database looks pretty empty after that change.

The whole idea of this site was supposed to be to find someone near you that you could dive with. If everyone goes to 'stealth mode', then what's the point? We might as well change the name to 'AnonymousDivers.com'.... and have a fish with a bag over it's head for an logo. :angel2:

I was against the Google MemberMap 'cos it recommends putting a pin on your house. I doubted that anyone here wants that level of detail. Even the same zip code was a little too intrusive for me.

For those of you justifiably nervous about stalkers, kindly pick a town in the same quadrant of your state, if you don't want to list yours. If someone can find you in a couple of thousand square miles, then they're working for the NSA (and even leaving it blank won't stop 'em.) Is that sufficient? 100 miles away is a reasonably short drive, but it's 40,000 square miles someone would have to search through, since they wouldn't know which direction to start.

I didn't make a unilateral decision on this (I'm just a mechanic here).

#12 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts
  • Board Status:thinkin' about diving
  • Cert Level:DM; TDI Adv Nitrox and Deco Procedures
  • Logged Dives:1200 ish

Posted 25 August 2006 - 03:49 PM

I updated my profile with DFW as my location and I won't narrow it down more than that

I had an experience many years ago with a guy who would leave large signs on my garage door and love letters on my front door...that's when I learned being in a large metropolitan area was really a good thing and I protect my privacy now more so than ever

#13 Twinklez

Twinklez

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 25 August 2006 - 06:38 PM

I liked Location. I could say East Texas, or SoCal, or DC and it would be specific enough for someone to be able to identify the general area, yet not so specific that someone could look me up. 100 miles is easy pickins where I live....so I won't even bother with the city in the same quadrant. As far as finding people to dive with...I don't want someone picking me out of the blue, nor will I pick someone out of the blue. The forum allows us to get to know a little about each other before sharing all of our details; I like the way that works much better than a search.

#14 AliKat

AliKat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,232 posts

Posted 25 August 2006 - 07:19 PM

I liked Location. I could say East Texas, or SoCal, or DC and it would be specific enough for someone to be able to identify the general area, yet not so specific that someone could look me up. 100 miles is easy pickins where I live....so I won't even bother with the city in the same quadrant. As far as finding people to dive with...I don't want someone picking me out of the blue, nor will I pick someone out of the blue. The forum allows us to get to know a little about each other before sharing all of our details; I like the way that works much better than a search.

I have to agree. No part of "location" should ever be a required field. I am one of the people who has been pushing for a way to search by location, but people should be able to choose to opt out. I like the idea for options for city, and state but some may just be comfortable with saying what country they live in (I could live with that being required). If someone does not what to advertise what city and or state they live in, they should be able to be members of the board without providing this info.

I am pretty comfortable while living in Hawaii putting my island and city. I'm kinda out of the way - so I'm not too worried. I'm not sure I'll go beyond state when I get back to CONUS.
"

#15 AliKat

AliKat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,232 posts

Posted 25 August 2006 - 07:26 PM

The 'Location' field was required up until around last November or December, and we didn't lose too many folks over it.

I don't remember the location field ever being manditory, however, even if it was, it was much more loosly defined. One could simply put USA. Now we are talking that I cannot be a registered member of the board unless I fill in my city and state for public viewing - I can't believe that we have people on the board (probably mostly women) who would not choose to give up their membership rather than advertise this info.

Stan, again, I was one of the ones pushing for a way to do a location search, but if the only way to do it is to make this info required, then I say leave it like it is! Oour members' privacy is much more important than my ability to easily find out how many members we have in Hawaii!
"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users