• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Dry Gloves and Bungee Mount Compass

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 gcbryan

gcbryan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts
  • Logged Dives:620

Posted 09 September 2006 - 08:04 PM

Just looking for any ideas I haven't thought about. I use dry gloves (my system involves an even larger ring than most systems) and I use a wrist mount compass and a wrist mount computer/BT. I like the bungee mount idea in gereral. Most dive computers have straps that are pretty short and they all break eventually. Most wrist mount compass straps are too short to use with a dry suit. I modify the straps by turning them into a bungee mount system.

The only problem is that sometimes I lose my compass. The dry glove ring is large enough that if the bungee stretches enough to go over it and I try to wear in on my wrist it is now too loose. Therefore, I keep it over the ring (which does have a small groove in it which helps to keep the bungee in place) but if the compass gets bumped without me knowing about it, it can easily slip off my arm without me noticing it.

Since many DIR divers bungee mount their compass/BT and many are in drysuits with dry glove systems has this been a problem for you?

#2 Diver_C

Diver_C

Getting started

• Pip
  • 38 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver
  • Logged Dives:115

Posted 09 September 2006 - 09:58 PM

I've had the same question recently. :usflag: My computer uses a compression strap, so not concerned it will break. Use nylon backpack webbing for my compass. Generally always need a little help connecting the straps for both things. Thought about a bungee for my compass, but it would need to stretch and return to small size once over my dry gloves. I haven't lost or broken any straps, so maybe I should be happy with what I have, and be thankful for the buddy assistance. Hmmmm...

Rich
Go Fast, Turn Left. http://www.apbanw.com - http://www.goboatracing.net
Wa. state family law attorneys http://www.danceycassady.com

#3 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 10 September 2006 - 03:57 AM

Since many DIR divers bungee mount their compass/BT and many are in drysuits with dry glove systems has this been a problem for you?

Two things.

1. I wear my instruments on my forearms. this gets it away from my hands so it won't interfere with the light, the reel, or anything else I am doing with my hands. Therefore the bungee can be larger

2. Not sure what bungeee you are using, but that stuff I get at the cave shop stretches a LONG way. I couldn't imagine it not fitting over a cuff ring and snapping back.

#4 VADiver

VADiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts
  • Cert Level:GUE T2/C1
  • Logged Dives:400+

Posted 10 September 2006 - 02:33 PM

I have zip seals on my drys suity and have no problems with the bungiee, but the rings are not too large. My frineds who use the SiTec (?; solid ring that the glove locks into) gloves also use bungiee with no problem. What type of gloves do you use?

#5 gcbryan

gcbryan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts

Posted 10 September 2006 - 05:06 PM

I have zip seals on my drys suity and have no problems with the bungiee, but the rings are not too large. My frineds who use the SiTec (?; solid ring that the glove locks into) gloves also use bungiee with no problem. What type of gloves do you use?

I use another system that DUI offers (as well as Bare). It's a larger ring that is glued/sewn onto the outside of the sleeve. You use plain latex gloves and they seal simply by stretching them over the ring as you put them on. They cost about $15 to replace, there are no O-rings, no stretching of the latex wrist seals. As a matter of fact the latex wrist seals are user replacable ($30/pair) since they are not glued on but rather held in place by a press fit inner ring.

#6 VADiver

VADiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts
  • Cert Level:GUE T2/C1
  • Logged Dives:400+

Posted 10 September 2006 - 06:08 PM

OK...I saw something like that in their catalog. I don't know how well the zip gloves will work, but I'll be attending the DUI Demeo Days in October and see how they rate.

#7 gcbryan

gcbryan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts

Posted 10 September 2006 - 07:33 PM

OK...I saw something like that in their catalog. I don't know how well the zip gloves will work, but I'll be attending the DUI Demeo Days in October and see how they rate.

Zip gloves work but you have to put them on when you put the suit on. Also, if they leak you have no wrist seal to keep the water out of your suit (as I recall).

In addition a zip neck seal replacement costs about $130 . The other problem is that all DUI latex seals are very thin and don't last long. I don't have zip seals (don't need them for the wrists) and when my neck seal torn I had it replaced with a Diving Concepts neck seal (thicker). When I replace the wrist seals myself I'll also use something other than DUI.

#8 ScubaGypsy

ScubaGypsy

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts
  • Cert Level:DM
  • Logged Dives:1500+

Posted 10 September 2006 - 08:04 PM

Zip gloves work but you have to put them on when you put the suit on. Also, if they leak you have no wrist seal to keep the water out of your suit (as I recall).

In addition a zip neck seal replacement costs about $130 . The other problem is that all DUI latex seals are very thin and don't last long. I don't have zip seals (don't need them for the wrists) and when my neck seal torn I had it replaced with a Diving Concepts neck seal (thicker). When I replace the wrist seals myself I'll also use something other than DUI.

I'd like to hear more about what you are using for replacement seals as I too have had to replace a wrist seal and a neck seal after 55 dives. In both cases these seals looked completely worn although I continued to wear them until they ripped.

Also, I have not used dry gloves as I have been using very thick neoprene gloves. Do you lose much feel with the dry gloves? I've used the thick gloves down to about 39 F but am interested in pursuing lower underwater temperatures this winter and am curious as to whether the dry gloves provide that much greater warmth. Can you use the drygloves with the wrist seal as well or do you replace the wrist seal with the dry glove? Do you also wear an insulator glove under the dry glove?
The sea is everything........Its breath is pure and healthy. It is an immense desert, where man is never lonely, for he feels life stirring on all sides. The sea is only the embodiment of a supernatural and wonderful existence. It is nothing but love and emotion; it is the 'Living Infinite,' ..........

Capt. Nemo...........20,000 Leagues under the Sea

#9 gcbryan

gcbryan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts

Posted 10 September 2006 - 08:14 PM

I'd like to hear more about what you are using for replacement seals as I too have had to replace a wrist seal and a neck seal after 55 dives. In both cases these seals looked completely worn although I continued to wear them until they ripped.

Also, I have not used dry gloves as I have been using very thick neoprene gloves. Do you lose much feel with the dry gloves? I've used the thick gloves down to about 39 F but am interested in pursuing lower underwater temperatures this winter and am curious as to whether the dry gloves provide that much greater warmth. Can you use the drygloves with the wrist seal as well or do you replace the wrist seal with the dry glove? Do you also wear an insulator glove under the dry glove?

You definitely wear a liner (fleece) glove under the dryglove. The dryglove keeps you dry not warm. :unsure:
The fleece liner glove plus a little air in the glove provides warmth.

You can use most any other brand of replacement seals and they will be better than DUI. Just check a local dive store as see what they have (Diving Concepts, Bare, OS, whatever).

I don't have a whole lot of "feel" in thick neoprene wetgloves or drygloves but I don't think there is much difference between the two.

Most dryglove systems leave the wrist seal in place (in case of a leak). Drygloves aren't that much warmer than wetgloves but the colder the water the more you appreciate them. With a good system that never leaks (as I now have) it makes you never want to go back to wetgloves. However, if you have a system that leaks 50% of the time (as I used to have) it makes you want to just stay with wetgloves.

Edited by gcbryan, 10 September 2006 - 08:15 PM.

#10 ScubaGypsy

ScubaGypsy

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts
  • Cert Level:DM
  • Logged Dives:1500+

Posted 10 September 2006 - 08:25 PM

You definitely wear a liner (fleece) glove under the dryglove. The dryglove keeps you dry not warm. :unsure:

You can use most any other brand of replacement seals and they will be better than DUI. Just check a local dive store as see what they have (Diving Concepts, Bare, OS, whatever).

I don't have a whole lot of "feel" in thick neoprene wetgloves or drygloves but I don't think there is much difference between the two.

Most dryglove systems leave the wrist seal in place (in case of a leak). Drygloves aren't that much warmer than wetgloves but the colder the water the more you appreciate them. With a good system that never leaks (as I now have) it makes you never want to go back to wetgloves. However, if you have a system that leaks 50% of the time (as I used to have) it makes you want to just stay with wetgloves.

Hmmm, my LDS only has replacement DUI seals so perhaps I should look around via internet. Are these replacements also Zip Seals?

My concern on the drygloves is that it seems easy to puncture them, especially around wrecks. I've been frustrated enough with how easy it has been to puncture the TLS and can only imagine that the gloves will be worse. But to clarify, are there drygloves that also attach to the DUI drysuit while keeping the Zip Seal wrist seals in place? How do these attach? Are these a DUI product?
The sea is everything........Its breath is pure and healthy. It is an immense desert, where man is never lonely, for he feels life stirring on all sides. The sea is only the embodiment of a supernatural and wonderful existence. It is nothing but love and emotion; it is the 'Living Infinite,' ..........

Capt. Nemo...........20,000 Leagues under the Sea

#11 gcbryan

gcbryan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts

Posted 10 September 2006 - 08:39 PM

Hmmm, my LDS only has replacement DUI seals so perhaps I should look around via internet. Are these replacements also Zip Seals?

My concern on the drygloves is that it seems easy to puncture them, especially around wrecks. I've been frustrated enough with how easy it has been to puncture the TLS and can only imagine that the gloves will be worse. But to clarify, are there drygloves that also attach to the DUI drysuit while keeping the Zip Seal wrist seals in place? How do these attach? Are these a DUI product?

No, they are not zipseals. DUI is the only one with zipseals. However, some buddies who have zipseals have made their own. You just keep the zipseal part from an old zipseal and glue the replacement onto that. DUI makes zipgloves that replace zipseals. I supposed you could keep the zipseals and add a standard ring system dryglove but I wouldn't do that. If you have zipseals I would leave well enough alone or glue on a thicker replacement seal as mentioned above. If you are worriedn about puncturing the gloves in a wreck I would stick with wetgloves.

#12 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts
  • Cert Level:Course Director; CCR Instructor
  • Logged Dives:2000+

Posted 11 September 2006 - 08:22 AM

Dive Rite sells one inch elastic webbing straps that you thread through its buckle, leaving loose to slip over the wrist. Once on, pull to tighten. Stayss put and works great. Also easy to slip off by loosening when you want.

I use for my hand sets. I also double up equipment on the strap. On the right, I have the backup hand set and a D3; on the left, I have the main set and my compass. See pics.

Attached Images

• Compass_Handset.jpg
  • D3_Handset.jpg

"The most important thing is not to stop questioning." Albert Einstein

"For the diligent diver, closed circuit rebreathers are actually safer than open circuit scuba." Tom Mount

#13 gcbryan

gcbryan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 01:28 PM

Dive Rite sells one inch elastic webbing straps that you thread through its buckle, leaving loose to slip over the wrist. Once on, pull to tighten. Stayss put and works great. Also easy to slip off by loosening when you want.

I use for my hand sets. I also double up equipment on the strap. On the right, I have the backup hand set and a D3; on the left, I have the main set and my compass. See pics.

I can't tell from the pictures but does your compass/D3 have a slot for the strap to go into? My computer/compass both a hockey puck types that sit in boots with straps molded on.

#14 6Gill

6Gill

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 11 September 2006 - 09:32 PM

2. Not sure what bungeee you are using, but that stuff I get at the cave shop stretches a LONG way. I couldn't imagine it not fitting over a cuff ring and snapping back.

I use 3/16" bungie from MEC(Canadian version of REI) the thicker bungie doesn't strech as well,also like springs bungies come in grades.I'm using the SI Tech rings and have no issues.

#15 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts
  • Cert Level:Course Director; CCR Instructor
  • Logged Dives:2000+

Posted 11 September 2006 - 09:39 PM

I can't tell from the pictures but does your compass/D3 have a slot for the strap to go into? My computer/compass both a hockey puck types that sit in boots with straps molded on.

I got a kit for the D3 so that you can use something other than the standard band with it. It was very inexpensive, like $10. I cut off the straps from the compass boot, and I just cut a slit through it with a knife at the base. I think that they make the boots for these with a slit already. I just couldn't find them.
"The most important thing is not to stop questioning." Albert Einstein

"For the diligent diver, closed circuit rebreathers are actually safer than open circuit scuba." Tom Mount

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users