• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Fish Kills Snorkeling Spearfisherman

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Hipshot

Hipshot

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,391 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver/Asst. Instructor
  • Logged Dives:>500

Posted 12 September 2006 - 03:52 PM

I was just reading where yesterday, in the lower Florida Keys, a spearfisherman drowned when the fish that he speared darted into a hole, and entangled him in the speargun's line. The 42-year-old man speared a Goliath Grouper, and according to the Monroe County Sheriff, it appeared that the fish wrapped the line around the spearfisherman's wrist and went into a hole in a coral rock, pinning him in approximately 25 feet of water.

When police divers found the man, the grouper was wedged in the hole, and the man's body was still tangled in the line.

Rick
:welcome:

#2 Cephalopod

Cephalopod

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • Cert Level:Open Water Instructor.
  • Logged Dives:1963 to present...and me with just ten fingers!!!

Posted 12 September 2006 - 05:03 PM

I was just reading where yesterday, in the lower Florida Keys, a spearfisherman drowned when the fish that he speared darted into a hole, and entangled him in the speargun's line. The 42-year-old man speared a Goliath Grouper, and according to the Monroe County Sheriff, it appeared that the fish wrapped the line around the spearfisherman's wrist and went into a hole in a coral rock, pinning him in approximately 25 feet of water.

When police divers found the man, the grouper was wedged in the hole, and the man's body was still tangled in the line.

Rick
:welcome:

I thought it was illegal to spear Goliath Grouper???

Cephalopod
"The most dangerous creature you will encounter in any ocean, and the only one truly worth worrying about, is yourself!" H. E. Potter, General Public Nuisance, circa 2005

#3 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 12 September 2006 - 05:35 PM

Sad of course (for the speared Goliath grouper and the dead spearo).

However, I think I detect a trend here. Haven't we had several incidents of hooked marlin jumping up and spearing the anglers? Now this? I think it is just the beginning. The fish and inverts of the marine world are finally getting their revenge after years of our exploitation and interference with marine ecosystems. Wonder how the administration will deal with this new threat???

#4 intotheblue

intotheblue

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts
  • Cert Level:diving since high school; rec, tech, cave and wreck, as well as exploration and expedition diving
  • Logged Dives:Thousands... (really!)

Posted 12 September 2006 - 06:21 PM

However, I think I detect a trend here. Haven't we had several incidents of hooked marlin jumping up and spearing the anglers? Now this? I think it is just the beginning. The fish and inverts of the marine world are finally getting their revenge after years of our exploitation and interference with marine ecosystems. Wonder how the administration will deal with this new threat???

I dunno... but any of you seafood eatin' divers better watch out!!! I know that I don't eat eggplant any more and I don't live near Chicago! :wavey:
"The most important thing is to never stop breathing"... ITB

Actually, the WORST day of diving is better than the BEST day at work... :)

and... my life is not measured by the number of breaths I take, but by the number of breaths I take UNDER WATER :)

"I see you are no stranger to pain." -- "I was married... TWICE!!!" HOT SHOTS, PART DEUX

#5 Cephalopod

Cephalopod

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • Cert Level:Open Water Instructor.
  • Logged Dives:1963 to present...and me with just ten fingers!!!

Posted 12 September 2006 - 07:28 PM

Within the last month, I have watched two very interesting specials on shark attacks, and current unusual behavior in their habitat.

One was caused off the shoreline of Brasil when a marine estuary was polluted by waste from a cattle slaughter house upriver, and displaced by the building of a marine park in what used to be a Mangrove shallows. The blood from the slaughter house was overflowing the holding tanks and leaching into small creeks leading to the local river, then following the local ocean current to the popular beach a few miles downstream.

This incredibly clever move, dumping hundreds of gallons of cattle blood each day into the ocean, was drawing in apex predators from deeper waters, Whites, Bulls, and even Tiger sharks. (Can anyone spell "dinner bell"?). Interestingly, the loss of the Mangroves, a prime spawing habitat for Bull sharks and their pups, was causing the Bull sharks to move a couple of miles upstream to the beach area, where they settled in and began to enjoy the occasional arms, legs, and torsos of local swimmers and surfers.

They also showed an aerial view of the shipping channels a few miles offshore, and indicated most ships still discharge their solid and liquid wastes overboard...and sure enough, there was a "chum" slick floating for a mile or more, trailing the ship. All this within sight of the affected beach.

The second situation was pollution involvement, whilch killed the smaller, shallow water marine species, which in turn disrupted the natural food chain for the bigger fish. No small fish, fewer big fish = hungery sharks. The local bull sharks, not a well tempered species to begin with, started becoming much more aggressive toward humans, and shark "incidents" were becoming much more common.

We have got to stop using our waterways for sewers. Most of the apex predators are now dangerous to eat because of their absorption of Mercury from their diet of smaller fish, which eventually feed on bottom dwellers, which absorb the Mercury from chemical waste discharge. I even had a waiter tell me the chef said their Swordfish was safe to eat, because they were "Farm raised"!

Idiots!

I made up a saying a few years ago..."For every action, there is an opposite and equal reaction." Yes, dispite what you have heard, that was me!

"Ceph" :wavey:

PS: I assume the petrolum industry is leading the way, under the current administration, to cleaner, healthier waterways.... :cool2: Errr...at least I think they are.....hmmmmmmm!
"The most dangerous creature you will encounter in any ocean, and the only one truly worth worrying about, is yourself!" H. E. Potter, General Public Nuisance, circa 2005

#6 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 07:35 PM

I dunno... but any of you seafood eatin' divers better watch out!!! I know that I don't eat eggplant any more and I don't live near Chicago! :wavey:

Heck, no self-respecting plant or animal would even recognize what I eat as having come from them or their evolutionary relatives... it's been so thoroughly processed!

#7 sudsymark

sudsymark

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,062 posts
  • Cert Level:Certified as teenager, SSI DiveCon and Scuba Ranger Instructor
  • Logged Dives:130

Posted 13 September 2006 - 07:45 AM

New meaning to the phase, 'Your food will come back and bite you."
In the end we will conserve only what we love; we will love only what we underdstand; and we will only understand what we are taught. -Baba Dioum

#8 jextract

jextract

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor, Divemaster, Nitrox, Rescue, Wreck, ...
  • Logged Dives:120ish

Posted 13 September 2006 - 09:52 AM

I dunno... but any of you seafood eatin' divers better watch out!!! I know that I don't eat eggplant any more and I don't live near Chicago! :fish2:

Given the history of that city, those eggplants are probably registered to vote!
"Because I accept the definition, does not mean I accept the defined." -- ScubaHawk
"Love is blind but lust likes lacy panties" -- SanDiegoCarol
"If you're gonna be dumb, you'd better be tough." -- Phillip Manor
"If I know the answer I'll tell you the answer, and if I don't I'll just respond cleverly." -- Donald Rumsfeld

#9 matts1w

matts1w

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 13 September 2006 - 10:31 AM

I thought it was illegal to spear Goliath Grouper???

Cephalopod

It is illegal to harvest goliath grouper with any technique, even a rod and reel.

Edited by matts1w, 13 September 2006 - 10:35 AM.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, and totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW! -- What a Ride!"

#10 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 11:43 AM

Good to hear Goliath groupers are fully protected. I've only dived with one once, but it was an interesting film opportunity.

I just realized this thread was about a FREEDIVER who died due to entaglement. With all due respect to his family and friends, what was he doing (1) spearing a protected species and (2) spearing a fish whose size should indicate the possibility of being pulled down by it. Can't even blame narcosis for this mistake.

#11 jextract

jextract

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor, Divemaster, Nitrox, Rescue, Wreck, ...
  • Logged Dives:120ish

Posted 13 September 2006 - 12:00 PM

Was he spearing without a float? Just wondering how he'd get entangled if he was prepared for game that size.
"Because I accept the definition, does not mean I accept the defined." -- ScubaHawk
"Love is blind but lust likes lacy panties" -- SanDiegoCarol
"If you're gonna be dumb, you'd better be tough." -- Phillip Manor
"If I know the answer I'll tell you the answer, and if I don't I'll just respond cleverly." -- Donald Rumsfeld

#12 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 13 September 2006 - 12:35 PM

Good to hear Goliath groupers are fully protected. I've only dived with one once, but it was an interesting film opportunity.

I just realized this thread was about a FREEDIVER who died due to entaglement. With all due respect to his family and friends, what was he doing (1) spearing a protected species and (2) spearing a fish whose size should indicate the possibility of being pulled down by it. Can't even blame narcosis for this mistake.

Since he is dead and cannot speak for himself, we'll never know. I do know it is possible he shot at a fish in front of the Jewfish and missed. It wouldn't be the first time it's happened.

Bill, on your next trip to Florida, we'll put together a trip to some of the artificial reefs in the Gulf. You'll see lots of Jewfish.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#13 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 02:59 PM

Bill, on your next trip to Florida, we'll put together a trip to some of the artificial reefs in the Gulf. You'll see lots of Jewfish.

That would be great, Walter. Now that my nephew is at Univ. of Miami (and his Dad has a boat there), I'll have more frequent excuses to come to Florida's East Coast when I visit Mom in Sarasota.

#14 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 14 September 2006 - 07:43 AM

While Jewfish are found off the east coast, that's not where you'll see them on a regular basis. They are much more numerous, less shy and bigger in the Gulf.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#15 matts1w

matts1w

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 14 September 2006 - 11:38 AM

While Jewfish are found off the east coast, that's not where you'll see them on a regular basis. They are much more numerous, less shy and bigger in the Gulf.

Walter is making an understatment.

Jewfish are everywhere in the Gulf, just about fearless, bullies, and freakin' HUGE in the Gulf. If you dive anywhere off Fort Myers Beach/Naples I can pretty much promise you will meet a jew fish or six.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, and totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW! -- What a Ride!"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users