• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

This is not a dating organization.... but stuff happened....

• Please log in to reply
216 replies to this topic

#61 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

I spend too much time on line

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts
  • Board Status:Omnes Qui Errant Non Pereunt!
  • Cert Level:Rec: DM -- Tec: Ext Range
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 11 October 2006 - 07:46 AM

Que

your killing me girl, as well as others watching this thread.

i already dropped two pairs of names on the first page but let me add 1 more set and these are based off there screen names since i do not know there last names.

NS (K? from texas) & OM (L? from Florida)

now back to work.

A Novus Dies Has Adveho.... Occupo Dies

Where in the World is Tooth? ... Catch Me It You Can!

Traveling the World, Diving, and Photography, on my days off from saving lives as a Paramedic

#62 nurseshark

nurseshark

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW,Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:200

Posted 11 October 2006 - 08:38 AM

Friday - Dive 1 - the Schurz
We tied up to the site, and the current was challenging. The sun was out and conditions above water were perfect. Below, the currents were pretty strong, ........

I just realized we left out the part about the 12 foot Sand Tiger that kept appearing on this dive, hoping someone would spear it some dinner.

Oh well...no one on this thread cares about the dives anymore anyway. :banghead:

never mind

Even though I only did One dive, I had a great time. Sandy got some pretty good picture of that shark. I thought it was kinda neat when the sun came out long enough for some of us to do another day of diving. I will definitely be back diving in this area again.

Thank you, Norm, for loaning me your pressure and depth gauge and always there lending a hand. I think this is the first trip that I didn't break a nail messing around with the bungee cord. I ordered some hooks and webbing to add Norm's Jon line to my rig. I hope your ankle is better soon.

I didnt get to see the sand tiger on the first dive but on the last dive Carol and I did see the pair of 8-10 foot sharks .They were either sandbar or bull sharks. They circled us for most of our dive, but kept their distance... despite Carol and I trying to get a closer look.. :banghead:

We also saw the Lion fish, Toad fish, plate size sand dollars, and a favorite of mine octopus!
The wrecks are teaming with life and were fun and interesting to dive.The visability was very good. The seas stayed calm so entry and exits were no problem..This of course was made much easier due to an EXCELLANT boat crew. The inland wrecks were just as interesting as the deeper wrecks with open swim though areas. Due to the shallower depths we were able to get in 45min-one hour dives. Just being able to dive these historical sites is awesome.

And as Fingrabber has said , you could not ask for a more accomodating and helpful couple that own Fishermans Inn. They went way above and beyond the normal to make sue all our needs were met ,just the fact they washed and dried our wet clothes sunday was unheard of...

And YES NORM, thank you so much for your advice..I wish we could have spent more time learning things from you! I, too, am going to modify my gear with your great jon line set up . Also I wish I could have just spent more time with you, gaining wisdom from your wealth of knowledge of photography, gear and diving . You are a wealth of great ideas! :) ..Hope your ankle is better..

So , yup Monte, we do still care about our diving on the trip...the rest was just an added bonus , remember I never saw it coming :banghead: ..I know that I will go back again and would recommend the same to others..

Karen

Edited by nurseshark, 11 October 2006 - 08:39 AM.

#63 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 11 October 2006 - 09:23 AM

on the last dive Carol and I did see the pair of 8-10 foot sharks .They were either sandbar or bull sharks. They circled us for most of our dive, but kept their distance... despite Carol and I trying to get a closer look.. :)

Swimming at them caused them to stay away. If they were Bulls, that's a good thing.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#64 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 11 October 2006 - 02:31 PM

on the last dive Carol and I did see the pair of 8-10 foot sharks .They were either sandbar or bull sharks. They circled us for most of our dive, but kept their distance... despite Carol and I trying to get a closer look.. :)

Swimming at them caused them to stay away. If they were Bulls, that's a good thing.

They were sandbars not bulls. Rarely will you see a pair of bull sharks...they are loners in these waters.

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#65 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 02:35 PM

I really hate to deviate from the engagement guessing, but I have to, to say it was a great trip. This was my 3rd SingleDivers trip, and each of them have been fabulous. A big thanks to Kamala and everyone else invloved. The diving in NC is great, shipwrecks, history and sharks.

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming.

Keith

And what a great deviation it was!!! Thanks Keith...it means a lot when our repeat members still think our trips are great! I was told a long time ago to mix it up and keep it fresh. While that is not always possible I do try! However with this crew the entertainment was non-stop and I must say I've never laughed so hard in all my life!

You are a fantastic addition to the trip and if you ever found yourself 'girlfriendless' then I'm sure there would be a number of gals wishing they were 'engaged to you'! :)

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#66 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 02:37 PM

Que

your killing me girl, as well as others watching this thread.

i already dropped two pairs of names on the first page but let me add 1 more set and these are based off there screen names since i do not know there last names.

NS (K? from texas) & OM (L? from Florida)

now back to work.

Everything in its own sweet time...you know the old saying...you gotta get it right first before we can announce the winner! However we've had some exceptional guesses in the last few posts! :)

formerly...

#67 UnderSeaBumbleBee

UnderSeaBumbleBee

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • Cert Level:OW working on AOW
  • Logged Dives:50+

Posted 11 October 2006 - 02:58 PM

OK this is my final guess LOL Karen and William

#68 naeshy

naeshy

Getting started

• Pip
  • 22 posts
  • Board Status:online
  • Cert Level:Advanced Open Water + Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:13

Posted 11 October 2006 - 03:36 PM

So when are pictures/vids being posted from this trip? I'm a little anxious to see them :).

#69 MNJoe

MNJoe

"Charlie"

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:450

Posted 11 October 2006 - 03:47 PM

So when are pictures/vids being posted from this trip? I'm a little anxious to see them :).

I only took a few pictures, but they are posted in the gallery.

"just your average Joe from Minnesota, also known as Keith"

#70 Twinklez

Twinklez

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 11 October 2006 - 05:12 PM

Holding steady with WW and OTWDiver! :)

#71 UnderSeaBumbleBee

UnderSeaBumbleBee

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • Cert Level:OW working on AOW
  • Logged Dives:50+

Posted 11 October 2006 - 05:53 PM

Congratulations Carol and Larry! May you spend many more years together making wonderful memories!!!!

#72 sandiegocarol

sandiegocarol

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:>100

Posted 11 October 2006 - 08:02 PM

Congratulations Carol and Larry! May you spend many more years together making wonderful memories!!!!

Good choice for me! What do you think Larry?

#73 JimG

JimG

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor Trainer
  • Logged Dives:Not enough!

Posted 11 October 2006 - 08:18 PM

They were sandbars not bulls. Rarely will you see a pair of bull sharks...they are loners in these waters.

I saw a pair of sharks once that I could have sworn were Bulls. This was on the "wreck" of the Hyde (off the NC coast near Wilmington). They sure acted like Bulls (very sneaky). They were accompanied by a school of Pilot Fish, which was a neat thing to watch.

Was I mistaken or did I witness something rare?
Will DIR for food!

#74 ncwreckdiver

ncwreckdiver

Getting started

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Gender:Default...if you do not click on either male or female, a moderator will contact you to help fill out correctly.

Posted 11 October 2006 - 08:46 PM

I saw a pair of sharks once that I could have sworn were Bulls. This was on the "wreck" of the Hyde (off the NC coast near Wilmington). They sure acted like Bulls (very sneaky). They were accompanied by a school of Pilot Fish, which was a neat thing to watch.

Was I mistaken or did I witness something rare?

I would bet a case of Corona that what you saw were sandbars. Bull sharks are typically a little thicker from the dorsal fin forward and have a more flattened snout in profile. They both share impressive dorsal and ventral fins. Kamala is correct in that bulls are usually loners. I am positive the ones we saw this past weekend on the Hutton were not bulls and correctly identified as sandbar sharks. I have a lot of video and pictures of them in the past and these were definitely sandbars. We compared Sandy's pictures to ID sources to confirm the ID. We have been seeing them quite often on the Papoose and one even grabbed the white colored lift bag right off the anchor chain and swam away with it. Very interesting and very attention grabbing when they cruised within a few feet of me on the Hutton while I was pulling a flounder of my spearshaft. Hope they enjoyed the free meal! Those big boys followed me for the rest of the dive probably thinking of me only as a free meal ticket. I never cocked the bands after the first encounter!

Thanks to Larry for the recommendation on the Starfish Enterprise. Talked to the Capt. Craig today and he put me on for a few days in early Nov. Looking forward to it. Sounds like a great guy on the phone.

Capt. JIM

Edited by ncwreckdiver, 11 October 2006 - 08:52 PM.

#75 bluedolphin

bluedolphin

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • Board Status:Private
  • Cert Level:Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:296

Posted 12 October 2006 - 02:29 AM

Everything in its own sweet time...you know the old saying...you gotta get it right first before we can announce the winner! However we've had some exceptional guesses in the last few posts! :wakawaka:

I am having trouble understanding why the games with this engagement. The correct answer has already been given.
Happy Diving
Linda
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users