• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Advanced Class

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 Sophia

Sophia

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced and Rebreather
  • Logged Dives:100?

Posted 15 June 2004 - 02:44 PM

I am thinking of retaking Advanced Certification Class. I think I remember taking it already in college right after my Open Water, as a P.E. class, but I don't think that was the best route. Also, I don't think I got the card. At the time, the choice was eat or get the card.

So, anyway, I am trying to decide where to take the class. Choice A: I will be on the Peter Hughes Live Aboard in Belize. I will be there by myself, and I thought the classwork might give me something to do when not diving, plus structured dives. Choice B: My LDS offers the class once a month. The LDS is Emerald Sea Divers in Richardson. I can take it between the wreck dives and Belize.

Any opinions?

#2 Laura

Laura

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts
  • Board Status:Not on vacation (damn!)
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:You mean I have to log them, too?

Posted 15 June 2004 - 03:00 PM

Sophia,

First of all, kudos on wanting to continue your diving education. I think either option would be viable. I did my AOW and Nitrox both while on vacation (2 seperate vacations, btw). So, if you can stay focused enough to study while on vacation, that's fine. On the other hand, if you take the class at a local dive site you are familiar with, you may have a greater comfort level due to the familiarity of the location. The important thing as that you take the class, no matter where.

Peter Huges live-aboard you say? Girl, I am SO jealous....but it's a GOOD jealous...ha ha... HAVE FUN!!! You GO GIRL!

Laura
WWZD - What Would ZENA Do ??

#3 Sophia

Sophia

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 15 June 2004 - 03:29 PM

Thanks! It will be my first live aboard. I had looked into it a few years when I was dating a diver. The only boats where we were going had group bunkbed sleeping, so no privacy. Today, that would be fine, but when you go someplace tropical with someone special..., well, you know.

By the way, AA has Dallas to Belize for $350 now. $350!

#4 Latitude Adjustment

Latitude Adjustment

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts
  • Cert Level:EanX
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 15 June 2004 - 04:59 PM

I'm not sure about PH but Nekton had a deal where the AOW was free, just do the book work before boarding. :teeth:
I, Latitude Adjustment (insert log in name), do hereby swear, (politely), that I shall not hold SingleDivers, (SD), nor any SD poster, (real or imagined), liable, nor shall I seek legal restitution, (real or imagined), for any perceived, (real or imagined), offenses I may incur, (or Incurrrrrrrrrr on talk like a pirate day), that may or may not be posted on this or any SCUBA related board, (real or imagined), by anyone, (real or imagined), anywhere, (real or imagined). Further, I void any right to privacy, (real or imagined), as it may, or may not relate to any posting, (real or imagined), about me, to me, for me, because of me, all about me, my dog, my cat, my bird, my monkey, my family, (real or imagined), my friends, (real or imagined), or my world, (real or imagined).

By all that is wet, I do hereby swear, (politely), and attest, upon pain of never diving again, (real or imagined), that I understand and affirm, that I agree to the above.

_________________________________________(log in name signature)
Signed and Dated

#5 zendiver

zendiver

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,082 posts
  • Cert Level:AI
  • Logged Dives:1011

Posted 16 June 2004 - 07:47 AM

Sophia,

A vacation should be just that. My opinion would be to re-take your AOW class from your LDS and have it done-said-overwith and enjoy your vacation.

My .02psi
[color=blue]Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body;
But rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--"WOW--What a ride!"

#6 StuShark

StuShark

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • Cert Level:DM, Adv Nitrox, Deco
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 16 June 2004 - 08:13 AM

I agree with ZD...even though AOW is predominantly diving (5 different types of dive - the theory can be done beforehand), itz better to get it done before the vacation (if you can) so you can concentrate (?!) on relaxing....if you do it on the vacation then you will need to spend a couple of your dives doing the "navigation" and "search/recovery" which do require some concentration/effort !

#7 RICHinNC

RICHinNC

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox

Posted 16 June 2004 - 08:14 AM

Not sure what your considerations are....but just about every "resort or cruise" course I have seen were way over priced. If $$$$ is not a problem...then just do it....and can I marry you??

But I agree with LA....first of all I have a very low opinion of PH...to many dead divers painted on the sides of his boats. Plus...the Nekton I think is a more stable boat.....which my tummy appreciates.
rich
The great thing about excruciating pain is....at least you know you are alive.

#8 Sophia

Sophia

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 16 June 2004 - 09:38 AM

Surprisingly, price is not an issue. Peter Hughes has it for $200 which I think is about what my LDS was going to charge. Unfortunately, I already booked the Peter Hughes. I booked it before finding SD, and I had one bad report of Nekton, and two good reports of Peter Hughes, so... Now that I know more, I wish I had gone with Nekton, but they already have my $600 deposit. Short of being tossed out of the boat during a storm, I figure I am responsible for my own safety.

Based on what y'll said, I am leaning towards the LDS. I guess I can read or nap on board if the people aren't friendly.

#9 Sophia

Sophia

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 16 June 2004 - 09:40 AM

If $$$$ is not a problem...then just do it....and can I marry you??

Yah, Yah, Yah. You men are all talk. I took ColoradoPilot up on his offer of an expenses paid trip to Coz. But are we going? noooooo

#10 harleyman

harleyman

Getting started

• Pip
  • 34 posts
  • Cert Level:Dive Master
  • Logged Dives:200

Posted 16 June 2004 - 09:56 AM

Your going to love the Sundancer II in Belize - I was on it last April, and I had a great time. Volunteer for the Fashion Show!!!! If captain Loche is still on the boat, your going to like him too.

I took Nitrox Certification on that boat because it was light reading, a couple of videos, and the dives were our normal dives. It also got me a heck of a discount on Nitrox for the week.

I would take the Certification before you went, so you weren't wasting fun diving time doing skills. If you see a large Lagerhead on the horizon, your not going to want to finish your training dive.

Emerald Sea is a great shop, and I am actually a DM on staff there. Go in and see Ken or Mike and tackle it before you go.

Good luck, and post a trip report after your back.

#11 canuckdiver

canuckdiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts
  • Cert Level:Decompression procedures
  • Logged Dives:>120

Posted 16 June 2004 - 10:35 AM

If  $$$$ is not a problem...then just do it....and can I marry you??

Yah, Yah, Yah. You men are all talk. I took ColoradoPilot up on his offer of an expenses paid trip to Coz. But are we going? noooooo

how about an expenses-paid trip to ontario???

:cool2:
"what works, works" - shek exley

"the WW Approved 'Unofficial' guardian angel"

#12 glendivesalot

glendivesalot

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Cert Level:Expert
  • Logged Dives:700+

Posted 16 June 2004 - 11:02 AM

The suggestions above for taking your class before you go on vacation make a lot of sense. On the other hand, it can be fun to take a course while on vacation. You are doing many of the dives anyway and the study time is not all that much. In addition, you are doing the dives in optimum conditions.

My daughter got her Advanced on the Nekton Pilot. Additionally, on many of the dive trips my daughter and I have been on, we did specialties together. Although I had had these courses many moons ago, it was just fun to do the specialties together. I too have been on a liveaboard by myself. Having a class to study for would have been welcome.

Seems to me that either choice would be a winner.

#13 chinacat46

chinacat46

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,147 posts
  • Cert Level:OWSI
  • Logged Dives:1527(8 in fresh water)

Posted 16 June 2004 - 11:34 AM

I'm kinda of the position that you should do it on the trip. It's only 5 dives out of roughly 27 dives. A few of them you get to choose and will actually be just like regular dives. The deep dive isn't anything new it's just deeper. The only one that requires any kind of real skill is Nav. So one dive you really have to do something. You have to a deep dive so 3 of them you choose. I would pick a night dive and maybe naturalist. The other one could be something useful it could be photo or you could make it something bogus like a boat dive. So Nav is the only thing you need to think about. Just do it! You will love Sun Dancer II. I was there for my bday back in Feb. See my photo it was taken on board.

- Chuck :cool2:

#14 Sophia

Sophia

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 16 June 2004 - 11:51 AM

Dear GlenDivesSome (sorry, couldn't resist),
Were the people not friendly on the live-aboard when you were alone? That's my main worry. I've travelled by myself many times, Europe, business, etc. But being in the closed environment like a boat, and other people in pre-packaged sets, well that's different. Maybe while onboard, I'll take the creature and fish identification courses. The Deep Specialty was $120, which seems a bit steep, but then I guess I can't do that in a Texas Swamp.

Dear CanuckDiver,
Well, see, uhhh, the trouble is I think you might mean it, and I don't own a drysuit and the diving sounds great.

On a different note, I will be going to a lake near here, Clear Springs. On their website they mentioned that the deeper parts can get as cold as, gasp, 65, so they rent drysuits.

Edited by Sophia, 16 June 2004 - 11:53 AM.

#15 chinacat46

chinacat46

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,147 posts
  • Cert Level:OWSI
  • Logged Dives:1527(8 in fresh water)

Posted 16 June 2004 - 12:00 PM

I wouldn't take a Deep dive speciality unless you are collecting cards. Once you get your AOW you can do deep dives. You can read about deep diving. Between doing deep dives, reading about it and talking with more experienced divers you won't learn anything in a deep dive speciality class that you wouldn't learn in your AOW. Remember PADI stands for either Put Another Dollar In or Pay Another Dive Instructor. Your mileage may vary just my 2 PSI worth.

- Chuck

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users