• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Advanced Class

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#16 CuriousMe

CuriousMe

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 83 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:180+

Posted 16 June 2004 - 12:38 PM

I did my AOW on a liveaboard (Blackbeard's). I had a great time and leared at the same time. It was a small percentage of my total dives for the trip, so I didn't feel like I was being cheated of my vacation.

The liveaboard is a great oportunity to get a lot of different kinds of dives in, so it's really suited to the AOW cert. I don't know that I 'd do, like Stress and Rescue.....but AOW was great to do on vacation.

Peace,
Cathie
"Some of it's magic, some of it's tragic
But I had a good life all the way."

He Went to Paris, Jimmy Buffett

DeColores

#17 glendivesalot

glendivesalot

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Cert Level:Expert
  • Logged Dives:700+

Posted 16 June 2004 - 01:08 PM

Responding to your earlier post, Sophia, people were friendly enough. But sometimes, people are traveling as a group and you are not part of the group. I make friends easily enough and many times,people will ask to dive with me as I am fairly experienced at finding marine life and also they like to dive with me as I am good with the navigation. I was doing five dives a day, which kept me pretty busy. But I also read a lot of books. It's also helpful to bring a game like Uno along, which is a good ice breaker .

#18 zendiver

zendiver

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,082 posts
  • Cert Level:AI
  • Logged Dives:1011

Posted 16 June 2004 - 01:31 PM

Sophia,

I really need to get you out to the Flower Gardens. Check out this website for TONS of information.

http://www.gulf-diving.com

-ZD
[color=blue]Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body;
But rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--"WOW--What a ride!"

#19 Sophia

Sophia

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced and Rebreather
  • Logged Dives:100?

Posted 16 June 2004 - 02:04 PM

Wow Wee! I had imagined that the gulf would be nice, but I never imagined that nice. I'd be up for diving on a weekend. Already have four weeks vacation scheduled this year. Three of diving.

Although, I was referring to the lakes not the gulf.

#20 mcm007

mcm007

Getting started

• Pip
  • 48 posts
  • Cert Level:OW Diver
  • Logged Dives:20

Posted 17 June 2004 - 10:14 AM

No one ever offers me an all expenses paid trip. It usually the other way around..

Did you ever get that Dolphin ?

I someday will hopefully have one...

I m available for your trip if youre lonely : )

Mac

#21 Sophia

Sophia

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 17 June 2004 - 02:03 PM

Mac,
Yes, I got the Dolphin. Actually, I got back around April. Sent it in for a overhaul because I bought it used. It took forever to get the parts, but I'm picking it up this afternoon. Yeah! Yahoo! I am so happy. Going diving tomorrow!

That would be so cool to have a buddy on the trip. I'm going the week which starts in August and ends Sept 4.
Susan

#22 EbonyMermaid

EbonyMermaid

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:15

Posted 19 June 2004 - 09:47 AM

ZD Are there trips during the week (Tues, Wed, Thur) out to the Flower gardens? I usually work on the weekends, and would like to get some diving done during the week when it's not so crowded, but no one is available to go with me.

#23 canuckdiver

canuckdiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts
  • Cert Level:Decompression procedures
  • Logged Dives:>120

Posted 19 June 2004 - 02:57 PM

ZD Are there trips during the week (Tues, Wed, Thur) out to the Flower gardens? I usually work on the weekends, and would like to get some diving done during the week when it's not so crowded, but no one is available to go with me.

man, it would be quite a commute, but I would sure be willing to go thru the week with ya!

LOL, some of us have no choice but to work weekends this day and age
"what works, works" - shek exley

"the WW Approved 'Unofficial' guardian angel"

#24 zendiver

zendiver

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,082 posts
  • Cert Level:AI
  • Logged Dives:1011

Posted 22 June 2004 - 01:45 PM

EB, MOF they do. This time of the year, they run non-stop trips of M-W, T-F, & S-S. I have a couple of scheduled trips that I will be working in the next couple of weeks. One is a T-F and one is a S-S. Let me know if you are interested.

-ZD
[color=blue]Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body;
But rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--"WOW--What a ride!"

#25 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,590 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 22 June 2004 - 02:03 PM

Hey a couple of comments:

1. I had a great experience with Peter and loved his liveaboard...I did Roatan and it was awesome. (I also knew the dive club from Richmond that met with such an unfortunate end so your assessment is correct.)

2. I am NOT a fan of taking extended certs on dive trips ie. AOW, Navigation, etc. On the other hand...taking photography or nitrox is cool and it allows you to have a better dive trip. In fact almost any of the specialities are cool on a trip to get.

3. One of the cool things about SD is that we offer discounted specialities on trips. We usually charge $75 which includes the c-card. Nitrox is more but we are always less then your LDS or other trip operators. The primary reason to add specialities to your diving portfolio is obviously additional education but also if you decide to pursue your Master Diving certification or equilivent.

4. Regarding AOW...do it via your LDS so that you'll REALLY get the skills down and mastered...especially the navigation and night dives and even deep....you'll appreciate them later when you need those skills.

Hope that helps....-ww

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#26 mischievous

mischievous

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,304 posts
  • Cert Level:0
  • Logged Dives:0

Posted 22 June 2004 - 02:24 PM

sophia,
jim (narwhal) signed off on most of my AOW dives before bonaire and woody (from emerald sea) took me down to 100' at lake travis for my deep dive. i'm so glad that i did it in travis because it made me extremely relaxed when i was going past 60' last week. almost all my dives would have qualified for "deep diving" and it didn't even feel difficult or complicated at all. if i was out to do my deep dive on vacation, i'm sure i would have been apprehensive about it. like W2 said, getting it down before hand and understanding small complications or dealing with minor issues in an "old, familiar" environment allows to to enjoy your trip much more. i had a horrible night dive and a difficult deep dive where i rock-hopped because i was overweighted for my AOW, but it just made me appreciate my fantastic night dive with cyclingmike and robert from NY and handled my buoyancy at depth while on vacation with ease. complete your AOW at the LDS before you go. it'll be well worth it.
-chie

#27 neoaquatica

neoaquatica

Getting started

• Pip
  • 41 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:more than 50

Posted 05 August 2004 - 07:48 AM

Anyone have any recommendations about AOW in Dallas ? Any lone-wolf instructors interested ?

Travis would be nice.

Thanks,

Chris
Dancing is a perpendicular expression of a horizontal desire.

Boycott shampoo! Demand the REAL poo!

Sponges grow in the ocean. That just kills me. I wonder how much deeper the
ocean would be if that didn't happen. -- Steven Wright

#28 Sophia

Sophia

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 05 August 2004 - 10:01 AM

I took Nitrox at Emerald Sea Divers in Richardson, and I was impressed.

Based on this thread, I went to them to take my AOW. They said I already knew what was taught in that class. Even more impressive, that they were that honest.

In case you don't like the days that they have the class, I could give you the name of my rebreather instructor. He did a very good job.

#29 bluedestiny

bluedestiny

Getting started

• Pip
  • 34 posts
  • Cert Level:O/W
  • Logged Dives:13 and learning with each one

Posted 12 August 2004 - 12:36 AM

:angel2: Is it a bad idea to take AOW during a diving vacation?
The dread of the tiger is so universal as to warrant the Chinese proverbial saying; The Korean hunts the tiger one half of the year, and the tiger hunts the Korean the other half

#30 Sophia

Sophia

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 12 August 2004 - 09:12 AM

:angel2: Is it a bad idea to take AOW during a diving vacation?

The consensus seems to be yes, it is a bad idea.

But then you live in Iowa. Do they have water in Iowa?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users