• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Advanced Class

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#31 StuShark

StuShark

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • Cert Level:DM, Adv Nitrox, Deco
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 12 August 2004 - 09:36 AM

I'm not so sure I would use the term "bad idea" - probably more like "preferable" (assuming you have time and a location where you can do the dives before your go)
......then you just have fun and relax on your vacation !

#32 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts
  • Cert Level:Course Director; CCR Instructor
  • Logged Dives:2000+

Posted 16 August 2004 - 01:27 PM

I am thinking of retaking Advanced Certification Class. I think I remember taking it already in college right after my Open Water, as a P.E. class, but I don't think that was the best route. Also, I don't think I got the card. At the time, the choice was eat or get the card.

So, anyway, I am trying to decide where to take the class. Choice A: I will be on the Peter Hughes Live Aboard in Belize. I will be there by myself, and I thought the classwork might give me something to do when not diving, plus structured dives. Choice B: My LDS offers the class once a month. The LDS is Emerald Sea Divers in Richardson. I can take it between the wreck dives and Belize.

Any opinions?

Advanced would be acceptable to take on a liveaboard trip because the emphasis of this level is on gaining dive experience under the presence of an instructor. There is really not much classroom work but more of an introduction to additional diving beyond what is covered in your entry level class.

If the instruction were for a level that would require a lot more classroom work, then I would not suggest taking this class on the liveaboard trip unless there were a larger group all taking the class together.
"The most important thing is not to stop questioning." Albert Einstein

"For the diligent diver, closed circuit rebreathers are actually safer than open circuit scuba." Tom Mount

#33 divecutie

divecutie

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 709 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:20

Posted 31 August 2004 - 11:05 AM

I am a little late on this thread, but I did my dives with chie and narwhal. I still have to get a deep dive done, so I am going to go with Emerald Sea probably one weekend they head out to Travis. They are friendly and a ton of fun! Definitely, LDS.
Why not seize the pleasure at once? How often is happiness destroyed by preparation, foolish preparation!
Jane Austen

#34 SquattingRadishDM

SquattingRadishDM

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Divemaster, Dry Suit....eventually the IDC...then Paradise
  • Logged Dives:150+

Posted 31 August 2004 - 12:10 PM

I agree with ScubaDadMiami, the AOW course is acceptable to do on a holiday as there is not a large amount of theory. I did both my Rescue and DM on seperate holidays and it was such hard work I didn't actually have any holiday (5 dives a day and staying up till 2:00am reading books :banghead: ).

But if you read the book before hand then the AOW course is no trouble. The theory isnt difficult and theres only 1 skill to do on each dive then u just enjoy urself. Deep: "oooh look the red colours have turned to black" and writing ur name backwards (a narcosis test) and Naturalist is just ticking off fish that you see! Navigation: square partern and recipricol.

Go for it and let us know how you get on.

-Jack
The sea does not belong to despots. On its surface iniquitous rights can still be exercised, men can fight there, devour each other there, and transport all terrestrial horrors there. But at thirty feet below its level their power ceases, their influence dies out, their might disappears.
Ah, sir, live in the bosom of the waters! There alone is independence. There I recognise no masters! There I am free.
Jules Verne. 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea.

#35 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 31 August 2004 - 12:26 PM

the AOW course is acceptable to do on a holiday as there is not a large amount of theory.

True, it's not much of a class, but if you'll shop around, you can find true advanced courses out there.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#36 TheSassyRabbit

TheSassyRabbit

I spend too much time on line

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts
  • Cert Level:Divemaster/Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:>750

Posted 31 August 2004 - 07:48 PM

I would normally agree that a vacation is a vacation; however, if you're going to be there by yourself, it might be fun to have something to focus on as you mentioned. And, if you're going to do the dives anyway.... heck.... why not get the certification along the way.

Specialty certifications in some categories (i.e. deep diving, boat diving, and the like) aren't always worth the money - and you can get info. on those in your advanced class. I hestitate in saying that though b/c there are some that are very much worth the money - like cave diving for instance. If you plan on becoming a Master Diver (in PADI speak), you'll need 5 specialties (and a few other things) - but the good news is that (with PADI) your logged specialty dives in AOW count towards any specialty certifications you work towards later.

Have a blast!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users