• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Technology Today

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Bubble2Bubble

Bubble2Bubble

Arkansas HH Planner

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • Board Status:Surface Interval Starting 08/2009
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver, Medic, Emergency First Responder, CPR/AED-Oxygen, Dry Suit, Nitrox.
  • Logged Dives:500+ Studing for my DM

Posted 23 October 2006 - 06:23 PM

I'm waiting for the day I can plug my computer into my cell and connect to the Internet :welcome:

Are We There Yet ?

How Close Are We ?

If we cant connect by are cell Phones ...whats the next best Technology ?

Curious Bubbles
Dive into Life and Live for Diving!
no trees were harmed while posting any of my messages,
however a significant number of electrons were inconvenienced.

Buy Lawn Mower and Chain Saw Parts at...
Amazon.com

#2 JimG

JimG

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor Trainer
  • Logged Dives:Not enough!

Posted 23 October 2006 - 06:34 PM

I'm waiting for the day I can plug my computer into my cell and connect to the Internet :cool1:

I can do that now - MacBook Pro connected via a Motorola V276. The speed is actually faster than dialup, and almost rivals DSL. Of course you have to be some place that provides digital service, but that's available in most metropolitan areas.
Will DIR for food!

#3 Guest_PlatypusMan_*

Guest_PlatypusMan_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 October 2006 - 06:54 PM

I'm waiting for the day I can plug my computer into my cell and connect to the Internet :cool1:

Are We There Yet ?

Connecting right now from work via my trusty Sony VAIO and Blackberry cell phone.

PlatypusMan

#4 Tolly

Tolly

IT Administrator (Retired)

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Open Water
  • Logged Dives:*

Posted 23 October 2006 - 07:05 PM

Yep...

Most cell phone manufacturers offer some sort of Mobile Office kit to connect you cell phone to your laptop and then to the Internet. Some of them offer really good speeds (far in excess of old dial up) in metropolitan areas and their surrounding suburbs.

Alternately, you can purchase cellular modem cards that slide right in to your PC Card slot and replace the cellphone altogether. I have one of these and use it regularly on my daily commute.

SingleDivers can help you plan your personal or family dive trips! Send us an e-mail: SD Travel

"Give me the money that has been spent in war and I will clothe every man, woman, and child in an attire of which kings and queens will be proud. I will build a schoolhouse in every valley over the whole earth. I will crown every hillside with a place of worship consecrated to peace." Charles Sumner

"All that is necessary for evil to succeed is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke

"Be the little boy" Dive_Girl

dilemma.gif

#5 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 07:22 PM

We were there years ago. Where you been?

#6 Tolly

Tolly

IT Administrator (Retired)

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Open Water
  • Logged Dives:*

Posted 23 October 2006 - 07:27 PM

Well, he IS from Arkansas... :cool1:

so, high speed cellular data access may be somewhat limited...

SingleDivers can help you plan your personal or family dive trips! Send us an e-mail: SD Travel

"Give me the money that has been spent in war and I will clothe every man, woman, and child in an attire of which kings and queens will be proud. I will build a schoolhouse in every valley over the whole earth. I will crown every hillside with a place of worship consecrated to peace." Charles Sumner

"All that is necessary for evil to succeed is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke

"Be the little boy" Dive_Girl

dilemma.gif

#7 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 07:38 PM

Are you saying he's still rolling with an acoustic coupler? :cool1:

#8 JimG

JimG

• PipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 07:44 PM

Are you saying he's still rolling with an acoustic coupler? :cool1:

300 baud! w00t!
Will DIR for food!

#9 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts
  • Cert Level:Course Director; CCR Instructor
  • Logged Dives:2000+

Posted 23 October 2006 - 10:16 PM

I use a Sprint Air Card on my laptop, and I get near high speed with it. On the other hand, I only use it for work and basic email. So, I am sure there would be a big difference in speed with streaming, etc. For most things, it is pretty good.
"The most important thing is not to stop questioning." Albert Einstein

"For the diligent diver, closed circuit rebreathers are actually safer than open circuit scuba." Tom Mount

#10 sudsymark

sudsymark

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,062 posts
  • Cert Level:Certified as teenager, SSI DiveCon and Scuba Ranger Instructor
  • Logged Dives:130

Posted 24 October 2006 - 06:56 AM

So how many have the blackberry, at least one cell phone on their hip and the laptop in a backpack? Or have people switched to the Veo that has palm, phone and internet access?
In the end we will conserve only what we love; we will love only what we underdstand; and we will only understand what we are taught. -Baba Dioum

#11 JimG

JimG

• PipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 07:14 AM

So how many have the blackberry, at least one cell phone on their hip and the laptop in a backpack? Or have people switched to the Veo that has palm, phone and internet access?

Did you mean "Treo"? The Veo is a mini-camera for handhelds, or (alternatively) a dive computer made by Oceanic.

I am currently carrying a separate cell phone and PDA. However, my PDA (an ancient Palm Vx) finally died recently, so I am trying to decide what to switch to. I have a long history with the Palm OS handhelds, but I keep hearing rumors that Palm is not doing any further development on that platform. I have a couple of applications that I like to use on the Palm (DPlan!), so I am leaning towards a Treo 650 or 700P. Now that I have a laptop with builtin Bluetooth, that seems like a slick way to sync and connect to the Internet - no extra cables to carry around.

I am currently adopting a "wait and see" attitude. As an anti-Microsoft bigot, I'm not real crazy about the idea of switching to a Windows-based PDA, but on the other hand I don't want to be left with an "orphaned" device. I guess that is one of the hazards of being a slave to technology. :cool1:
Will DIR for food!

#12 cmt489

cmt489

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,346 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:75+

Posted 24 October 2006 - 07:20 AM

Myself, I have the phone, Palm and laptop since I don't always want to have everything with me. If I had a blackberry I would have access to everything at all times which would mean I would never be able to escape work!

#13 JimG

JimG

• PipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 07:49 AM

Myself, I have the phone, Palm and laptop since I don't always want to have everything with me. If I had a blackberry I would have access to everything at all times which would mean I would never be able to escape work!

I used to feel that way - having separate devices means that losing one doesn't leave you "hamstrung", plus you can upgrade them independently based on your needs. I still use the laptop for almost everything, and lately I have been wanting to reduce the amount of stuff I carry in my pockets. Plus it's a pain to keep everything synchronized (address books, calendars, etc).

As I mentioned above, my next "upgrade" will most likely be a combined phone and PDA. Who knows - maybe if Palm takes off with this Access Linux thing of theirs, it will actually be a *nix-based PDA (double w00t!).
Will DIR for food!

#14 CaptSaaz

CaptSaaz

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,194 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:88

Posted 30 October 2006 - 07:52 AM

I just got a new cell hpone.. nothing special, no camera or anything but it has bluetooth and a mini USB connector .
We all must believe in something... I believe I'll have another beer

#15 Blackhawk

Blackhawk

• PipPipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 08:23 AM

I have an Ipaq (basically HP's treo...) it's great but I refuse to allow work to hook it up. and I only have a pay as you go internet plan... so basically I have a phone that has an PDA in it but is used only as a phone :wavey:. I never touch a laptop. I don't understand why are so obsessed with work now days... work is at work, home is at home... don't mix the two.
I put my right foot in, I put my left foot out, I do the aikipokey and throw you all about :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users