• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Technology Today

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#16 JimG

JimG

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor Trainer
  • Logged Dives:Not enough!

Posted 30 October 2006 - 08:36 AM

I don't understand why are so obsessed with work now days... work is at work, home is at home... don't mix the two.

I'm self-employed (which means I basically work for my wife :wavey:), so I don't really have a choice. My "office" is in the basement of my house!
Will DIR for food!

#17 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

I spend too much time on line

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts
  • Board Status:Omnes Qui Errant Non Pereunt!
  • Cert Level:Rec: DM -- Tec: Ext Range
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 30 October 2006 - 08:56 AM

JimG

becareful with using bluetooth as a gap jump to get online. there are two main problems with the lbue tooth implementation in cell phones.

first is a bandwidth: as very limited compared to normal ISDN, DSL, Broadband connections, think 56k connections.

then the way bluetooth is implemented in cellphones its basically unsecured at all and leave your phone and or connection being hijacked. Im not sure on the particulars but i saw it done last week and it was scary how fast the hacker got into the phone and connected out with bluetooth on.

FWIW

Tooth

A Novus Dies Has Adveho.... Occupo Dies

Where in the World is Tooth? ... Catch Me It You Can!

Traveling the World, Diving, and Photography, on my days off from saving lives as a Paramedic

#18 CaptSaaz

CaptSaaz

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,194 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:88

Posted 01 November 2006 - 05:06 PM

JimG

becareful with using bluetooth as a gap jump to get online. there are two main problems with the lbue tooth implementation in cell phones.

first is a bandwidth: as very limited compared to normal ISDN, DSL, Broadband connections, think 56k connections.

then the way bluetooth is implemented in cellphones its basically unsecured at all and leave your phone and or connection being hijacked. Im not sure on the particulars but i saw it done last week and it was scary how fast the hacker got into the phone and connected out with bluetooth on.

FWIW

Tooth

Just read an interesting article in Scientific American magazine about Bluetooth and the spread of cell phone viruses. Yes, that's right cell phone viruses. The errant programs do many things including sending text messages and emails all over the world for which you are liable for paying to completely locking you out of your phone entirely. And then they attempt to connect to other bluetooth phones nearby and spread the virus some more. If you have a cell phone with bluetooth you should disable/block any incoming bluetooth connections. This was the default setup in my phone but yours may differ.
We all must believe in something... I believe I'll have another beer

#19 BoomhowerSpeaks

BoomhowerSpeaks

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:10

Posted 09 December 2006 - 03:52 PM

I've got a cell phone and a notebook and pencil, it never crashes and it's always synced.

#20 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 09 December 2006 - 05:19 PM

Forty years ago I thought computers would finally free us from such nonsense as the 40-hour work week by making things so much more efficient. Twenty-five years ago I bought my first PC in the hope I could finally work remotely and telecommute. To some extent that was realized two years later when I bought my first laptop and could work at the beach instead of my office.

Today I find that my work week often exceeds 80 hours per week. To a large extent this is because of computers and technology. The power of today's PC's allows me to do things that were borderline impossible 40 years ago (such as my kelp research using satellite images and GIS, and my video editing).

I have refused to get a cell phone... I don't need to be in touch everywhere I go, and people don't need to be able to reach me everywhere I go, or during every waking (or sleeping) hour!

#21 Bubble2Bubble

Bubble2Bubble

Arkansas HH Planner

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • Board Status:Surface Interval Starting 08/2009
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver, Medic, Emergency First Responder, CPR/AED-Oxygen, Dry Suit, Nitrox.
  • Logged Dives:500+ Studing for my DM

Posted 29 July 2009 - 05:17 PM

I've got a cell phone and a notebook and pencil, it never crashes and it's always synced.

I upgraded to a ballpoint pen..but ya...that works for me to..

Mike
Dive into Life and Live for Diving!
no trees were harmed while posting any of my messages,
however a significant number of electrons were inconvenienced.

Buy Lawn Mower and Chain Saw Parts at...
Amazon.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users