• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Athens Tx Oct 27-29...The Treasure Hunt & MORE Weekend

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Bubble2Bubble

Bubble2Bubble

Arkansas HH Planner

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • Board Status:Surface Interval Starting 08/2009
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver, Medic, Emergency First Responder, CPR/AED-Oxygen, Dry Suit, Nitrox.
  • Logged Dives:500+ Studing for my DM

Posted 29 October 2006 - 05:22 PM

By the time I got to Athens Scuba Park BSG/Anthony a longtime member of SD was already there. The next SD member was the witty and always entertaining Cephalopod, then the sweet and always curious PiscesDiver was the next SD member to show up.. Then one by one all thru the night and the next day SDer after SDer showed up. the Honorable PlatypusMan was the last SDer to make it and it was on Sunday. I think we had 18 SD members in all this weekend. I have decided to post the trip report in a Topic's format rather than a traditional report so you can get a better overview of all the events and of course if you weren't there we would encourage you to ask questions about each or all of the Topic's.

1. Nice to meet You finally.
2. Its been along time buddy.
3. Calvin's ROV.
4. Treasure Hunt.
5. The WWW's.
6. Woman with alot of balls.
7. Our Sponsor's.
8. Professor Scubapunks colorful chemistry experiment.
9. Tea's for off gassing during your safety-stop and for general everyday health.
10. Daniel/Tooth cook of the month.
11. Wedding Bells.
12. Jesus gives Sunday Morning Sermon on nutrition.
13. SD trivia contest.
14. BBBs upgraded to BBBBs
15. Dr Tooth gives a speech on the anatomy of a camera.

Well thats a few of the many topic's anyway, please... those of you who attended post a coment or two. I had a blast!! it seems to get better and better each time!!!

Bubski
Dive into Life and Live for Diving!
no trees were harmed while posting any of my messages,
however a significant number of electrons were inconvenienced.

Buy Lawn Mower and Chain Saw Parts at...
Amazon.com

#2 Guest_PlatypusMan_*

Guest_PlatypusMan_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 October 2006 - 06:18 PM

It was a beautiful day at Athens and great to see the remaining members this morning/afternoon.

Bubski, it's always a pleasure, and I hope that you got something out of my demonstration of tethered cellphone-to-laptop Internet access.

To those I missed due to scheduling conflicts: will see you another time and place!

PlatypusMan

Edited by PlatypusMan, 29 October 2006 - 08:42 PM.

#3 Dejah

Dejah

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,218 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:14

Posted 29 October 2006 - 06:48 PM

I in turn had a great time and only made it for Saturday.. it was great to see some who I've not seen in a long time, I've missed you all.

Dejah

#4 Blackhawk

Blackhawk

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 29 October 2006 - 07:26 PM

glad it was a good time... wish I could have made it!
I put my right foot in, I put my left foot out, I do the aikipokey and throw you all about :D

#5 Guest_Sea Urchin_*

Guest_Sea Urchin_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 October 2006 - 04:54 AM

lol ...alright, I'll bite, Mike...Tell me about BBBB and WWW.

Que :)

#6 Bubble2Bubble

Bubble2Bubble

Arkansas HH Planner

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • Board Status:Surface Interval Starting 08/2009
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver, Medic, Emergency First Responder, CPR/AED-Oxygen, Dry Suit, Nitrox.
  • Logged Dives:500+ Studing for my DM

Posted 30 October 2006 - 07:45 AM

lol ...alright, I'll bite, Mike...Tell me about BBBB and WWW.

Que :D

Well Sandy and I where voted the WWW for the weekend after jumping in the lake to do the treasure hunt then exiting ASAP :blush:
It started last year with the bitch-n breakfast buritos Yummie then we added another B.. I forgot what the new B (no pun intended) means :cool2:

Here's a picture of
Downtown
Cephalopod had an Holiday Express hotel/tent that stood in the shadow of Sandys Grand Logde :wavey:

Bubski

Attached Images

• DowntownAthens.jpg

Dive into Life and Live for Diving!
no trees were harmed while posting any of my messages,
however a significant number of electrons were inconvenienced.

Buy Lawn Mower and Chain Saw Parts at...
Amazon.com

#7 ScubaPunk

ScubaPunk

Houston HH Planner + Angel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,029 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, NITROX
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 30 October 2006 - 02:51 PM

What a wonderful weekend. It started off by dancing around the fire pit to the SD song on the boom box, by Pup Morse and The Duke City Dawgs. :tears: The weather was great, but the water was to cold for my wimpy butt! It cooled down quite a bit at night, but we stayed warm and cozy by the camp fire. It was great to meet so many new members, PiscesDiver, Diversitea, missdiverlady, Domino22, and Cephalopod. It was also great to see all my scuba buddies again, especially Dejah, it's been far too long. I don't think Domino is actually a new member, but it was the first time I met him. Mermaid Lady and Humu Humu cleaned up in the Treasure Hunt and won some great prizes. I don't think anyone went home empty handed though.

I want to especially thank Scubatooth for the fantastic food, and everyone else who helped prepare the food, and to Bubski and Matt for helping me with the pyrotechnic display. Actually, I didn't blow anything up so it can't really be called pyrotechnic, but I think I had a few people worried for a little while. :ph34r: .Also, a special thanks to those who sponsored this event: Athens Scuba Park, Scuba Toys, Diversitea, and SingleDivers.com.

Looking forward to spring, so we can do it all over again.

#8 Mitch0129

Mitch0129

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts
  • Cert Level:OW, AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:290

Posted 30 October 2006 - 03:52 PM

Sounds like you all had a great time up there!
-Mitch-

#9 PiscesDiver

PiscesDiver

Getting started

• Pip
  • 48 posts
  • Logged Dives:9+

Posted 30 October 2006 - 06:00 PM

Last weekend at Athens ROCKED! :birthday:
I had such a blast and am so glad to have become a SD member! Thanks to everyone for joining in the festivities and to everyone who shared their SCUBA knowledge with me. I appreciate you welcoming me into your group and making me feel comfortable.

WW - thank you first for founding the SD site, and second for putting this trip together. I would not have made the great new friends I made this weekend without your help. :tears: It was so great to dive again! I am looking forward to the next Texas dive trip! Thanks too for all the fun activities and your nutrition knowledge.

Bubski - your post topics are right on and hilarious! The BBB's are now also BADASS. Next time I travel to Arkansas I hope we can dive together.

WRW - you truly amazed me with the number of dives you have under your belt in such a short period of time being certified. Where do you find the time?! I loved hearing your jet fuel joke - you had everyone cracking up!

Punk - thanks for the psychodelic light show! It was so cool, man! Keep me in mind for the next Houston HH!

Tooth - Thanks for being my dive buddy this weekend. You're a wealth of information and an awesome cook too! I've never tasted a better cobbler! :)

Cephalopod - thank you for sharing your knowledge with me and for all your help with my dives. I greatly appreciate ScubaToys' sponsorship!!

Domino22 - I enjoyed talking with you and hearing your stories about the friends you made at Sea of Cortez - I can't wait to play with those big-eyed, playful sealions some time!

Stingray & Humu Humu - It was great to meet both of you. We need to meet up at the Horse Track sometime!

Diversitea - thank you for providing the peaches for the cobbler and for sponsoring this event - your teas are delicious!

Dejah & MissDiverLady - sorry I didn't get to spend more time with you this weekend but it was nice to meet you just the same. Hope to dive with you soon.

BSG - I thought the water was chilly at NOON! I'm looking forward to checking out the ROV next time I'm at Athens!

Mermaid Lady - It was great diving with you during the Treasure Hunt. Hope to do it again soon!

FinGrabber & PlatypusMan - I hope we'll meet up at another event soon so we can chat more. It was nice to meet you!

Calvin, Shannon, Matt and everyone at Athens Scuba Park - thank for you giving us a place to dive, meet friends and forget about life for awhile. Your park is gorgeous and your hospitality unmeasurable. I'm looking forward to diving your park again soon.

Thanks again to everyone - hopefully I didn't forget anyone - can't wait to dive with you all again! :birthday:

#10 Cephalopod

Cephalopod

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • Cert Level:Open Water Instructor.
  • Logged Dives:1963 to present...and me with just ten fingers!!!

Posted 30 October 2006 - 06:56 PM

I'd like to offer my profound apologies to all those present when I jumped, naked, over the campfire. It was all in fun, until I realized the hair on my back had caught fire, and I had to dash for the hot tub.

I'm not sure those other patrons of the park will forgive me for interrupting their romantic moment. I can understand this, as it isn't every day a naked man, on fire, jumps in your lap in a hot tub, all the while shouting the names of a prominent Western Diety and his Son. Very bad taste on my part!

Thanks to Bubbles for giving me the Jalapeno flavered burn salve to put on my back. I hadn't realized Chef Don Prudhome made medical products.

Anyway, I sincerely promise it might not happen again.

Cephalopod :tears:
"The most dangerous creature you will encounter in any ocean, and the only one truly worth worrying about, is yourself!" H. E. Potter, General Public Nuisance, circa 2005

#11 Capn Jack

Capn Jack

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts
  • Board Status:Working to fund the next trip
  • Cert Level:YMCA in 65, dove till 79, returned in 2002... now will work for air and/or beer as a DM
  • Logged Dives:not enough

Posted 30 October 2006 - 09:49 PM

I'd like to offer my profound apologies to all those present when I jumped, naked, over the campfire. It was all in fun, until I realized the hair on my back had caught fire, and I had to dash for the hot tub.

Until I read this, I was truly sorry I had to miss the event. Now, .... well, maybe not. Some things are just too graphic, even for me.
No aquarium, no tank in a marine land, however spacious it may be, can begin to duplicate the conditions of the sea. And no dolphin who inhabits one of those aquariums or one of those marine lands can be considered normal.
Jacques Yves Cousteau

#12 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts
  • Board Status:Omnes Qui Errant Non Pereunt!
  • Cert Level:Rec: DM -- Tec: Ext Range
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 30 October 2006 - 10:19 PM

Well its good to be home but i wish the weekend was longer as i enjoyed the company i was with emensely, and the diving to, even though it was a little cold for the first couple of minutes.

I would like to thank everyone who came out to the event, as it is you all who helped make this event a
success it was. Im also glad that you all enjoyed the menu for the weekend. It was the compliments and reactions that i got made all the work put into the event all worth it.

For those that where there for my lecture on sunday, i hope i didnt go over your heads with the information i was presenting. If anyone has any questions from the lecture let me know and i will help you out. I wished we had some more time as i would have liked to do a in water photo and lighting demo (natrual and strobe). If at future events if anyone would like me to cover any topics releated to photography or editting let me know and i will be glad to. Im going to go dig up some of the tutorials i built up a while back and will post them here.

Stingray: I hope my photoshop tips really helped you out with that image in particular as well as for general editting. If you need any help just send me a PM

Kimberley, it was very nice meet & dive with you, and would also buddy up with you again. If you come up to terrell for the DUI demo let me know as im currently planning on being there for atleast saturday, but may do sunday as well. Then also the next time i call you the wrong name just smack me.

Punk: naw i liked the pyrotechnic display you put on didnt really worry me, it was when you where constructing those tubes i was worried as on first look they looked like fireworks lauching stands, and that combonation and bubski i was a little nervous.

Cephlapod: it was a pleasure to meet you and your personality on the board matched you in person and i love the camp site you had set up.

Actually i forget something that should have been done at athen's and didnt. We forgot to sing happy birthday to fingrabber and tie her up & spank her, as its become a tradition at Dallas happy hours (or is that just for mine? because WW and FG enjpy it).

Then finally a big thank you to Diversitea for the prizes and samples, Shannon and Calvin of Athens Scuba park for the prizes and hospitality, Scubatoys for the prizes they sent, and to Kamala(Wenchie) for starting this whole "wild idea for a concept from thin air".

Theres more but my eyes are playing the anvil chorus so im going to log off and get some sleep and will post the rest later

Tooth

P.S. Then some good news. As those that where there saw my working portfolio of my photography work that im working on. Well sunday morning while packing up Shannon asked me if i would be interested in displaying some of my photos (UW and on land) and offerring them for-sale in the shop. Im going to be working on some images to take down next time im there. So keep an eye out for them at Athens Scuba Park, or look for an annoucement coming in the next couple of weeks, on the images im working on.

A Novus Dies Has Adveho.... Occupo Dies

Where in the World is Tooth? ... Catch Me It You Can!

Traveling the World, Diving, and Photography, on my days off from saving lives as a Paramedic

#13 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,586 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 31 October 2006 - 10:18 AM

WOW! This was one of our best Athens Weekends yet and I can't imagine that they could get any better BUT...just as the bitchin breakfast burritos keep getting better so do the events!

First :P to our UNSUNG HEROS:

ScubaTooth for planning this and getting it off the ground
Fingrabber for all her support and of course getting me there and waking up 30 minutes before sunrise so that we could get breakfast and coffee going
Diversitea for making a wonderful pasta salad for the cookout as well as being one of our sponsors for the event!

Second :) to our SPONSORS:

Athens Scuba Park which graciously invites us into their home and then gives us unprecedent run of the place! We love you and we share your love of diving and helping people to feel good about our sport and the divers in it! And :thankyou: for the hundreds and hundreds of dollars of prizes that you gave away for this event! Between all of our sponsors we had up to 3 prizes for everyone who participated!

ScubaToys.com for their ongoing support of SingleDivers.com and the gracious donation of several hundred dollars of prizes to our event! And for sending a really cool rep who is also one of our new members...Ceph man!

Diversitea for her support of SingleDivers.com both as a business member, individual member and as a sponsor. She provided diver'stea for the entire weekend to our divers, donated prizes for the Treasure Hunt, and was quick to lend a helping hand with whatever Tooth needed!

And I want to :thankyou: all of you for supporting our site so that we could in turn help to sponsor this event! So give yourselves a big round of applause for making this all happen!

And as usual the classic Orcaman saying of "If you missed it...you REALLY missed it!" was certainly true at this event. The generosity of the sponsors was tremendous with over 3 potential prizes for eveyone who participated. I do not think that anyone went home empty handed. And the really cool news is that several of these sponsors will be helping with other events SD has in other parts of the country! :P Stay tuned for more details on our enhanced sponsorship programs! :wakawaka:

Third... :thankyou: to all the people who participated and made the event what it was! Your kindness, your caring, your fun, your energy and your participation is what makes these events so special and enables all of us to have MORE FUN that is legal and moral! :teeth:

We did have a few awards but I'll post them later....so stay tuned!

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#14 PiscesDiver

PiscesDiver

Getting started

• Pip
  • 48 posts
  • Logged Dives:9+

Posted 31 October 2006 - 11:10 AM

Well its good to be home but i wish the weekend was longer as i enjoyed the company i was with emensely, and the diving to, even though it was a little cold for the first couple of minutes.

I would like to thank everyone who came out to the event, as it is you all who helped make this event a
success it was. Im also glad that you all enjoyed the menu for the weekend. It was the compliments and reactions that i got made all the work put into the event all worth it.

For those that where there for my lecture on sunday, i hope i didnt go over your heads with the information i was presenting. If anyone has any questions from the lecture let me know and i will help you out. I wished we had some more time as i would have liked to do a in water photo and lighting demo (natrual and strobe). If at future events if anyone would like me to cover any topics releated to photography or editting let me know and i will be glad to. Im going to go dig up some of the tutorials i built up a while back and will post them here.

Stingray: I hope my photoshop tips really helped you out with that image in particular as well as for general editting. If you need any help just send me a PM

Kimberley, it was very nice meet & dive with you, and would also buddy up with you again. If you come up to terrell for the DUI demo let me know as im currently planning on being there for atleast saturday, but may do sunday as well. Then also the next time i call you the wrong name just smack me.

Punk: naw i liked the pyrotechnic display you put on didnt really worry me, it was when you where constructing those tubes i was worried as on first look they looked like fireworks lauching stands, and that combonation and bubski i was a little nervous.

Cephlapod: it was a pleasure to meet you and your personality on the board matched you in person and i love the camp site you had set up.

Actually i forget something that should have been done at athen's and didnt. We forgot to sing happy birthday to fingrabber and tie her up & spank her, as its become a tradition at Dallas happy hours (or is that just for mine? because WW and FG enjpy it).

Then finally a big thank you to Diversitea for the prizes and samples, Shannon and Calvin of Athens Scuba park for the prizes and hospitality, Scubatoys for the prizes they sent, and to Kamala(Wenchie) for starting this whole "wild idea for a concept from thin air".

Theres more but my eyes are playing the anvil chorus so im going to log off and get some sleep and will post the rest later

Tooth

P.S. Then some good news. As those that where there saw my working portfolio of my photography work that im working on. Well sunday morning while packing up Shannon asked me if i would be interested in displaying some of my photos (UW and on land) and offerring them for-sale in the shop. Im going to be working on some images to take down next time im there. So keep an eye out for them at Athens Scuba Park, or look for an annoucement coming in the next couple of weeks, on the images im working on.

Congrats on the photo offer Tooth! Your portfolio looked great! Keep up the great shooting and your passion for photography! You have a great talent!!

#15 WRW

WRW

Getting started

• Pip
  • 28 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced Open Water with NITROX
  • Logged Dives:121

Posted 31 October 2006 - 12:25 PM

Well, well, well - it looks like another Athens SCUBA Park outing was a GREAT success. I just want to tell everyone that I enjoyed their company tremendously and getting to catch up with old friends and meeting new SingleDivers.com members (oh, I recruited one - Jennifer) pat me on the back, haha. It seems that each time I go camping at the Athens SCUBA Park I get better at it. Like the first night I was a little cool, actually I was freezing, the sheet and blanket I had just was not doing the job. So, I went a mile down the road to the Super Wal-Mart and purchased a 20 degree rated Sleeping-Bag and was fine the rest of the night. It' the best $40 I have ever spent - LOL. It seems like I go out there with half a truck load and when I come back I need side boards to keep everything in - haha. Actually, it's all the prizes they give-a-way. Thank you so much to all of the GREAT sponsors: Athen SCUBA Park, SingleDivers.com, ScubaToys and Diversitea. But, the next dive/camping outing I should have plenty of everything. The diving, camping and the company are so GREAT, I promise it's worth the effort. Also, please everyone in the Houston area keep me in mind for your Dive of the Month (DOM), I would love to go out and dive the RIGS and maybe watch/do some spear-fishing. Oh, I'm glad I did not have to go to the chamber, but people may say I did. So, remember "No Rumors" (per Kamala), I did not have to go to the chamber. :wacko:
\m/ "Ain't no, ain't no yesterdays, forget tomorrow, forget it all, We've got today" \m/ - Zakk Wylde

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users