• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Florida

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Surelyshirly

Surelyshirly

Getting started

• Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 10 November 2006 - 03:55 PM

Will be spending Jan, Feb and part of March in Florida on the Gulf Coast (Anna Maria Island)

I hope you Florida divers pick up with the dive of the month again this January! Looking forward to diving everywhere and need buddies!

Want to dive with the manatees, dive the springs, maybe take a course, dive the gulf coast, the keys, the Ft Lauderdale area, see really big fish, clear water (everything has good viz compared to Jersey) the Spanish Rocks and a wreck and reefs and hunt for shark teeth in Venice, did I miss anything?

I think I'm excited, I wasn't before. but now I am.

#2 annasea

annasea

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 10 November 2006 - 05:58 PM

:usflag: to SD, Cheryl!

There's a slight chance I may be returning to FL between January and March... if so, and you're willing to dive with a newbie, I'd be happy to join you for a dive or two. :birthday:

#3 Surelyshirly

Surelyshirly

Getting started

• Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 10 November 2006 - 11:03 PM

Absolutely, let me know when you are there.

#4 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 11 November 2006 - 12:38 AM

If you guys do a spring dive, I'd be interested. I'll be pretty rusty probably...

#5 Surelyshirly

Surelyshirly

Getting started

• Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 11 November 2006 - 10:53 AM

I have never been diving in Florida so I would truly enjoy doing quite a few different dives.

Have heard quite a bit about the springs and the dives with the manatees. Also heard that the east coast diving is different than the gulf where I will be so have an aunt there who I will be "visiting" to see,.

Will be on Anna Maria Island and have heard about the Spanish Rocks near there and about diving for sharks teeth in Venice Beach

And then there are the keys and.......

So am up for any of the dives people are doing. Will be available week days and weekends to dive. So am looking forward to seeing some of the sights.

Will be down there for New years, is there anything special any of the groups do for then in the way of a dive or get together?

#6 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 11 November 2006 - 11:52 AM

Will be spending Jan, Feb and part of March in Florida on the Gulf Coast (Anna Maria Island)

I hope you Florida divers pick up with the dive of the month again this January! Looking forward to diving everywhere and need buddies!

Want to dive with the manatees, dive the springs, maybe take a course, dive the gulf coast, the keys, the Ft Lauderdale area, see really big fish, clear water (everything has good viz compared to Jersey) the Spanish Rocks and a wreck and reefs and hunt for shark teeth in Venice, did I miss anything?

I think I'm excited, I wasn't before. but now I am.

Manatees are best seen at Crystal River and there's absolutely no need for a charter. Rent a john boat or a pntoon boat, depending on the size of your group. They'll give you a map of the site with the rental and the sites are easy to find. Leave your SCUBA in the car, sightseeing for manatees is best done skin diving.

There are springs near Crystal River, so I usually catch them on the same trip, one day at Crystal River and the next at one of the springs. I personally don't find the springs to be all that interesting, you may have a different opinion, so I try not to dive there more than one day at a time.

What are you interested in learning?

The Gulf has incredible dives, this is where you'll see big fish. Some sites have 20+ Jewfish in one place. I've also seen other big fish from time to time in the Gulf. Wrecks, artificial reefs and small ledges are what you'll normally be diving. Viz varies from find the bottom when you bump into it to the best I've seen anywhere.

My favorite diving in the Keys is the area around Tavernier, but I do enjoy some of the Key Largo sites as well.

Lauderdale has lots of different types of dives, most dives are float dives which are super easy. There are also wrecks at various depths, which can be challenging when the current is moving. Beach dives are common in the area, Lauderdale By The Sea calls itself the beach diving capital of Florida.

I love finding fossils at Venice. You'll have a blast, but the viz might rival what you find in NJ.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#7 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts

Posted 11 November 2006 - 11:53 AM

Will be down there for New years, is there anything special any of the groups do for then in the way of a dive or get together?

I always (weather permitting) bring in the New Year underwater. You're welcome to join us if you're interested.

DSSW,

WWW™

#8 solodiver in nj

solodiver in nj

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts
  • Cert Level:aow
  • Logged Dives:+/-300 ? (not logged)

Posted 11 November 2006 - 12:07 PM

Florida...Hope your ready and Good Luck....she's a divaholic!

#9 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts

Posted 11 November 2006 - 01:29 PM

She'll fit right in.

DSSW,

WWW™

#10 Surelyshirly

Surelyshirly

Getting started

• Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 11 November 2006 - 09:56 PM

I am "enthusiastic". And ask a lot of questions. And have trouble with my reel. But that is it

#11 annasea

annasea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 14 November 2006 - 01:20 AM

If you guys do a spring dive, I'd be interested. I'll be pretty rusty probably...

What about a manatees dive? Close enough? :cool2:

#12 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 14 November 2006 - 05:12 AM

I could do a Manatree dive in January maybe.

#13 annasea

annasea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 14 November 2006 - 10:54 AM

How about February or March? (I can only afford a return trip to FL this soon if I use areoplan miles for the trip, and January is probably too soon. Also, I'm hoping to coincide my trip with another west coaster who may be heading to FL later in the winter, too.)

#14 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 14 November 2006 - 12:41 PM

I'll be in soccer season then, but if it's a free weekend, then I'm game.

-P

#15 Surelyshirly

Surelyshirly

Getting started

• Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 14 November 2006 - 05:34 PM

I'm there until first week in March so will dive whenever

but Soccer? My soccer team disbanded about 2 yrs ago (I actually played on a mens team for 9 yrs cause there werent any womans teams to play on) am rusty but I do miss it.

You guys do friendly pick up games?

Edited by Surelyshirly, 14 November 2006 - 05:34 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users