• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Small Towns

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

Poll: How Far (32 member(s) have cast votes)

driving time

1. 30 min (12 votes [37.50%])

Percentage of vote: 37.50%

2. 1 hour (6 votes [18.75%])

Percentage of vote: 18.75%

3. 2 hours (1 votes [3.12%])

Percentage of vote: 3.12%

4. just down the street (6 votes [18.75%])

Percentage of vote: 18.75%

5. I pass all these places on my way to work (5 votes [15.62%])

Percentage of vote: 15.62%

6. I dont shop at major stores (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

7. I live so far away, I shop online (2 votes [6.25%])

Percentage of vote: 6.25%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Bubble2Bubble

Bubble2Bubble

Arkansas HH Planner

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • Board Status:Surface Interval Starting 08/2009
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver, Medic, Emergency First Responder, CPR/AED-Oxygen, Dry Suit, Nitrox.
  • Logged Dives:500+ Studing for my DM

Posted 19 November 2006 - 07:30 AM

How many of you members live in a small town and how far do you have to drive to shop at a major dept store..Sears, Target, Tractor Supply, Walmart or how about nationaly advertised resturants..Red Lobster, Olive Garden, OutBack Steakhouse etc..

Bubski
Dive into Life and Live for Diving!
no trees were harmed while posting any of my messages,
however a significant number of electrons were inconvenienced.

Buy Lawn Mower and Chain Saw Parts at...
Amazon.com

#2 Latitude Adjustment

Latitude Adjustment

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts
  • Cert Level:EanX
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 19 November 2006 - 11:38 AM

I live in the most densly populated state in the country but it's still twenty some miles to the nearest mall, Target, Home Depot or movie.
BTW, most divers won't eat at Red Lobster because of the way they treat the Hondurian natives who dive for those lobsters. Say you've got too much bottom time and you're fired, get bent and your fired.
I, Latitude Adjustment (insert log in name), do hereby swear, (politely), that I shall not hold SingleDivers, (SD), nor any SD poster, (real or imagined), liable, nor shall I seek legal restitution, (real or imagined), for any perceived, (real or imagined), offenses I may incur, (or Incurrrrrrrrrr on talk like a pirate day), that may or may not be posted on this or any SCUBA related board, (real or imagined), by anyone, (real or imagined), anywhere, (real or imagined). Further, I void any right to privacy, (real or imagined), as it may, or may not relate to any posting, (real or imagined), about me, to me, for me, because of me, all about me, my dog, my cat, my bird, my monkey, my family, (real or imagined), my friends, (real or imagined), or my world, (real or imagined).

By all that is wet, I do hereby swear, (politely), and attest, upon pain of never diving again, (real or imagined), that I understand and affirm, that I agree to the above.

_________________________________________(log in name signature)
Signed and Dated

#3 captsteve

captsteve

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts
  • Cert Level:aow/nitrox
  • Logged Dives:absolutly no idea

Posted 19 November 2006 - 05:36 PM

13mi drive, 45 min ferryride, 20 mile drive.......to foodlion. I think the airport is 4.5hrs altogether.

#4 jeff

jeff

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Cert Level:ow plus
  • Logged Dives:120

Posted 19 November 2006 - 07:05 PM

i live in the second or third biggest city(used to be second) in oregon and can get to about any store or resturant in 20 minutes some less, ten minutes to my lds

Edited by jeff, 19 November 2006 - 07:06 PM.

jeff aka nice-diver

#5 blacklatexozdiver

blacklatexozdiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts
  • Board Status:-
  • Cert Level:OW, Drysuit, Underwater Naturalist
  • Logged Dives:16 (pretty hard to dive where there's no water...)

Posted 20 November 2006 - 08:28 AM

I live at least 3 hrs drive from the closest dive store. As of next year I will be half an hour from the south coast - YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lmao:
"Gravitation cannot be held responsible for people falling in love." Albert Einstein

SD's Aussie Connection.

#6 Guest_PlatypusMan_*

Guest_PlatypusMan_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 November 2006 - 09:18 AM

I live at least 3 hrs drive from the closest dive store. As of next year I will be half an hour from the south coast - YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lmao:

Changing schools?... or just living digs?

PlatypusMan

#7 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 20 November 2006 - 11:32 PM

I don't drive... I take a boat across the Channel. You know, "26 Miles Across the Sea..." mainland smog is a'waiting for me!

#8 shadragon

shadragon

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD / DM / Solo
  • Logged Dives:534' ish

Posted 29 April 2007 - 05:16 AM

Used to live in a small town where it was an hour and 15 minutes to a major city. Moved last year to one of those cities for a new job and the change is noticeable...

Many more conveniences and more to do...

Edited by shadragon, 29 April 2007 - 05:16 AM.

Remember, email is an inefficient communications forum. You may not read things the way it was intended. Give people the benefit of the doubt before firing back... Especially if it is ME...! ;)

Tech Support - The hard we do right away; the impossible takes us a little longer...

"I like ponies on no-stop diving. They convert "ARGH!! I'M GOING TO DIE" into a mere annoyance." ~Nigel Hewitt

#9 blacklatexozdiver

blacklatexozdiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts
  • Board Status:-
  • Cert Level:OW, Drysuit, Underwater Naturalist
  • Logged Dives:16 (pretty hard to dive where there's no water...)

Posted 29 April 2007 - 08:20 AM

I live at least 3 hrs drive from the closest dive store. As of next year I will be half an hour from the south coast - YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Changing schools?... or just living digs?

PlatypusMan

Change of school (my work).
"Gravitation cannot be held responsible for people falling in love." Albert Einstein

SD's Aussie Connection.

#10 BubbleBoy

BubbleBoy

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW + Deep, Wreck, Drysuit, Navigation, Night, Rescue, Nitrox Specialties
  • Logged Dives:300+

Posted 29 April 2007 - 11:39 AM

In northern NJ it's all about the time of day you go and the traffic. Strip malls are as prevalent as gas stations around here, but, the nearest large shopping center is 10 miles from my house. It takes me between 15 and 45 minutes to get there depending on traffic. Once in a blizzard it took me 6 1/2 hours to get through the Lincoln Tunnel.
BB

When you make fish laugh, they can't bite you.

#11 ScubaPunk

ScubaPunk

Houston HH Planner + Angel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,029 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, NITROX
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 29 April 2007 - 07:12 PM

Move to Houston Bubski! Everything is close by, including the Ocean. :thankyou:

#12 KeithT4U

KeithT4U

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
  • Cert Level:Open water with over 20 dives in variety of locations, mucky lakes to FL reefs
  • Logged Dives:20

Posted 30 August 2008 - 03:25 AM

OK I don't think any one can beat me on work commute as it is about a 3 ft walk to anyplace in my "house/office". As for shopping and lds it all depends on where I am parked for the night.

Keith
If at first you don't suceed.....don't try sky diving.
Women should always think beauty over brains since men can see much further than they can think. :)

#13 ScubaSis

ScubaSis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,753 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW/Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:151

Posted 30 August 2008 - 05:30 AM

I live in between 2 small towns and have a 3rd one a little farther away. The closest one with a Wal-Mart is about 15 miles. The 3rd town has a better selection of stores and has Wal-Mart and it is 25 miles. If I want to go to the Mall or a Movie or a GOOD resturant it takes an hour, being about 45 or so miles. I love it here though!!!!
Handle every stresssful situation like a dog.
If you can't eat it or play with it,
Just pee on it and walk away.

#14 Sonny Beaches

Sonny Beaches

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts
  • Board Status:I be here
  • Cert Level:aow-nitrox
  • Logged Dives:over 100

Posted 30 August 2008 - 08:16 AM

Heck here in PortO'Connor, the nearest stop light is 30 miles away, and to Wally world, Heb, the only high school in the county, to Really go shopping it's 1 hrs drive. But for some reason all the Houston, Austin, , San Antonio, Dallas, and inbetween drive down every weekend to the cost, to pack the town to their weekend homes, some in the Millions,,, That is ok, I like taking their disposable income, for their boats. ;) Buty only takes 2 min to get to work. Since the whole town is 3 miles long and 3/4 mile long, and the Hiway runs into the bay, with water on 3 sides of town and the Gulf of Mexico a 2 1/2 mile boat ride.

#15 BoomerNJ

BoomerNJ

Getting started

• Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW!!
  • Logged Dives:23

Posted 30 August 2008 - 09:54 AM

Here in the "Down the Shore" area of Jersey, everything is just around the corner really... Like Port O'Connor, TX, all the people from North Jersey & NYC, etc, come down here to their "shore house" to give us their money... lol...
"The Sea is everything. It covers seven tenths of the terrestrial globe. Its breath is pure and healthy. It is an immense desert, where man is never lonely, for he feels life stirring on all sides." -Jules Verne

“I would rather be ashes than dust! I would rather that my spark should burn out in a brilliant blaze than it should be stifled by dry-rot. I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet. The function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.” -Jack London

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users