• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

PNW HH & Dive - Year-end Puget Sound Boat Dive Day

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 03 December 2006 - 07:42 PM

Getting up at 4:00am was worth it for this dive day!! EXCELLENT DIVES TODAY! MASSIVE Octopus, Octopus, Octopus, Octopus, Octopus, friendly wolfeels, grunt sculpins, warbonnets, gunnels, sailfin sculpins, ratfish, vermillion rockfish, and more!! Hopefully some of GG's pictures came out and we'll post some here!! WHO-HOO!

We dove: Z's REEF and SUNRISE BEACH in the South Puget Sound, WA. Both dive sites run in fairly the same direction (NNW to SSE) with the boat dropping you between shore and the site. Both sites seem to resemble each other with rocky ledges resembling small walls ranging in depth from 40-60'.

Z's Reef (REEF survey code 28210002) is located on the southeast shore of Fox Island. The rocky ledge is approximately 200 yards long. There are tons of nooks and crannies to this ledge, so a light is necessary and the sea life treasure to be found is diverse. The visibility is always a bit lack luster here, but focusing on looking in the nooks and crannies, you tend not to notice it too much. What you will notice is the extremely friendly wolfeel with the gimpy fin that comes right out to you! cmt489 remembers my scream when I was rammed by him earlier this year! :D I got it to go to GG for pictures and I think if her gloves had been less thick she would have given me the "#1" signal...*ahem* :P MOre than one LARGE octopus was seen on this dive in open crevices which allows for a great view of the critter. This is the reef where I showed WreckWench her first Giant Pacific Octopus. This site really does produce memories! One of my favorite parts to this site is an area not much traveled by divers because they mostly concentrate on the ledge, but toward the South end of the ledge if you back away you will often find yourself in a huge field of very large Spiny Pink Starfish and I mean a HUGE field of them.

Sunrise Beach (REEF survey code 28100005) is located just north of Gig Harbor, on the peninsula side of the Tacoma Narrows Bridge. It is subject to very strong and unpredictable currents as it sits at the South end of Colvos Passage. We experienced a steady less than 0.5 knot current pushing to the South. Due to current and the greater diversity of rocky ledges with a 200' stretch of a 25' high rugged rock wall, Sunrise is the more prolific of the two sites. There are a number of well traveled dens for both octopus and wolfeels that seem to house very large tenants year after year and although we know they cycle through this site seems to support healthy critters so as not to disappoint divers year after year. This dive was no different showing us several LARGE LARGE Giant Pacific Octopuses - larger than the ones of Z's Reef! It was pretty insane their size and the openess of the crevices to really get a show! I tried ot lure one out by singing "Eat Colleen" into my regulator. Colleen (gis_gal) thought I was just saying hello to the octo - I'll let her keep thinking that... :P There were tons of small critters on this site as well as large. We spotted a Grunt Sculpin, numerous paired Gunnels of many varieties in empty Giant Barnacle Shells, baby octopus as well as giants, and more. Another interesting feature to this site was tons of swimming scallops everywhere! Their jeweled smiles are pretty captivating. One decided to go after my dive buddy, inked_diver, which was a first for him! :P And without surprise I should mention that often Sunrise Beach is considered a top favorite amongst local divers.

Posted Image

Thank you for excellent dive choices by our fabulous crew Rick and RJ!! Wish we'd been able to spend more time with you two, but hoping your afternoon trip was a good one!

Here's the list of our fantastic divers on board. It was wonderful sharing a boat with you and fun diving with inked_diver, GG, and Maren! Thanks for a GREAT day!

1. Nicolle aka Dive_Girl
2. Colleen aka gis_gal
3. Troy
4. Billy
5. Carl
6. Edward aka inked_diver
7. Steve
8. John
9. Maren
10. Kirsten aka ScubaK
11. Tim - aka Cpt. Bungee
12. Talon
13. Scott

And GG, the Apple Strudel was AMAZING!!!!

Afterward the first 8 of us listed above headed to the RAM on Ruston Way for a warm meal and drinks. Beer of choice was the locally brewed Buttface Amber! :D Conversation was fun and we've decided as we normally do - we need to do it again!

Thanks SD divers and friends for a fun way to ring out 2006!

:teeth:
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#2 Scubak

Scubak

Getting started

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 December 2006 - 07:56 PM

Yup!!! It was a great couple of dives. I will have to ask Tim to post his pics here for everyone to see.
I had a great time diving and getting to meet everyone. It was really, really a great group of people. Very NICE divers, I might add...I think we should do it again....SOON!!!
I will make sure I bring an extra reg, an extra dry suit, a couple of pairs of shoes :P ...I will leave the baking of goodies to Colleen (she rocks!)
Thanks again to everyone for a truly enjoyable, friendly day. :teeth:
Kirsten :P

Edited by Scubak, 03 December 2006 - 07:58 PM.

#3 Cold_H2O

Cold_H2O

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,498 posts
  • Logged Dives:lost count but back to keeping a log.

Posted 03 December 2006 - 11:46 PM

I will chime in and say. WOW what a day.

I love diving with Rick and RJ on the Sampan. Fabulous boat and crew.

Now for the divers today ~ What a great bunch.
Old friends, new friends ~ The key word is FRIEND.
There was no room on that boat for anything but friendship and dive lies ~ I think we called them dive stories. :P

The Seven Seas Scuba bunch were a riot.
I am going to have to drive to Portland/Vancouver and steal everyone ~ They MUST all move closer to me.
I just have to find a vehicle large enough to hold the entire staff, the building, all the dive gear....
I am working on a plan :teeth:

Marin ~ Was a fun dive buddy. Can't wait to meet up and dive with her again.

Kirsten and Tim ~ As always I LOVE You guys. So glad you could join us today.

DG ~ Finally we shared a dive. Its only taken us how many years???? Great as always to spend time with you.

Next time I will have to make 2 Apple Studels.
Who would have thought divers and crew could polish off one so quickly. :P

When are we doing this again? GG's B&B is always open for the Portland Gang.
Night dive Alki? Midnight Margaritas? Just let me know.

Edited by gis_gal, 03 December 2006 - 11:48 PM.

Well Behave Women Rarely Make History ~ Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Formerly known as gis_gal and name tattoo'd for a small bribe!

#4 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic

Posted 04 December 2006 - 12:33 PM

The impromptu Happy Hour at the RAM on Ruston Way with lunch and Buttface beers was FUN FUN! GG fit right into the Seven Seas Scuba crowd! :teeth:

ScubaK, we were sorry to have missed you and Cpt. Bungee at the Ram (and it was a pleasure meeting you both), but we'll look forward to a next time. And don't worry about bringing all that extra stuff - we were covered, but the port plugs were a saver!! :P

(ps: cmt489 no cookies made it, I'll bet those darned overnight people are eating them right now!)
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#5 cmt489

cmt489

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,346 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:75+

Posted 04 December 2006 - 02:16 PM

Long story - meant to call you... With all the back and forth, they didn't have them ready to send until Friday which meant they would not have made it until today (too late). As such, the cookies are mine, all mine! I will make sure to bring some for the next trip... :teeth:

#6 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts

Posted 04 December 2006 - 02:53 PM

As such, the cookies are mine, all mine!

:teeth:

:P

#7 jeff

jeff

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Cert Level:ow plus
  • Logged Dives:120

Posted 04 December 2006 - 07:45 PM

nwdiver has pics, wish I was there i heart octopi's
jeff aka nice-diver

#8 Cold_H2O

Cold_H2O

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,498 posts
  • Logged Dives:lost count but back to keeping a log.

Posted 04 December 2006 - 07:59 PM

nwdiver has pics, wish I was there i heart octopi's

You would have loved the dives. Octo's every where.
I have never seen so many at Z's Reef. WOW it was increadible.

CMT ~ NO COOKIES :tears: :P
You will definately have to bring some your next time down.
We won't dive with Bandito and will not have to share any with Rick.
The cookies will be ours.... :P

DG ~ Glad to see you added Edward to the list. I knew I dove with him.

Edited by gis_gal, 04 December 2006 - 07:59 PM.

Well Behave Women Rarely Make History ~ Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Formerly known as gis_gal and name tattoo'd for a small bribe!

#9 Cpt. Bungee

Cpt. Bungee

Getting started

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Gender:Default...if you do not click on either male or female, a moderator will contact you to help fill out correctly.
  • Cert Level:OW, AOW, Nitrox, Rescue
  • Logged Dives:104

Posted 04 December 2006 - 10:40 PM

Sorry for the delay, but here they are.... Bandito pictures from 12.03.06. It was a balst diving with everyone, even if I decided to blow off the saftery stop on the last dive. Here is the photo show. Please enjoy.

Tim (cpt.bungee)

Just click and enjoy: http://photoshow.com.../watch/xz3vc8EB

Posted Image
© Timothy Lamb
It's all good and a can of corn !!!!!1

#10 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts

Posted 05 December 2006 - 10:59 AM

WOW!! The photos of the baby octo were so cool!! Thank you for sharing Tim!!

And did y'all see the size of the suckers on the big one? Look at them in comparison with the nearby large clam shells which are about the size of the palm of your hand or closed fist.

AND A BIG :tears: to SD to ScubaK and Cpt. Bungee!!! :P

#11 cmt489

cmt489

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,346 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:75+

Posted 05 December 2006 - 11:25 AM

Man! Did I miss out on some great dives... :tears:

#12 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts

Posted 05 December 2006 - 04:07 PM

Yep and to rub it in, I updated my first post to do a better dive site review and trip report!! neener neener :P

#13 HadesNewGal

HadesNewGal

Getting started

• Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue certified
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 05 December 2006 - 08:21 PM

Yep and to rub it in, I updated my first post to do a better dive site review and trip report!! neener neener :P

Wow I really need to get into my drysuit now that I'm back from warmer waters. And streudel what luxury.

HNG

#14 gracefulc

gracefulc

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Cert Level:Divemaster - cold water all the way!
  • Logged Dives:150+

Posted 05 December 2006 - 10:22 PM

DG - how bout planning a SD trip where I can go?!?! I want in on the strudel and Edward told me about all the GPOs; I'M SO JEALOUS!!!! :tears:
1.5 weeks until I'm back in PNW waters!!! :P
"You don't need to outswim the shark, just your dive buddy."

DAN Intern for Summer 2007 in Scapa Flow, Scotland!!!

#15 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts

Posted 05 December 2006 - 10:49 PM

DG - how bout planning a SD trip where I can go?!?! I want in on the strudel and Edward told me about all the GPOs; I'M SO JEALOUS!!!! :banghead:
1.5 weeks until I'm back in PNW waters!!! :twist:

Because when you are home we are putting you to work! But don't you worry, we have a fun crowd for the weekend you are home!! Who-hoo!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users