• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Oct 5-7 NCSeafood Festival & Artifacts! & SHARKS!!!

• Please log in to reply
217 replies to this topic

#211 BubbleBoy

BubbleBoy

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW + Deep, Wreck, Drysuit, Navigation, Night, Rescue, Nitrox Specialties
  • Logged Dives:300+

Posted 08 October 2007 - 12:25 PM

Here I sit in the afterglow of three great days of North Carolina Wreck Diving, a little narcosis, and an 11 hour drive home last night. That’s another way of saying I’m not getting $%#* done at work today.

The diving on this trip was great, and got better as the days went on. The water temps were in the mid to upper 70s and our vis ranged from a sub-par low of about 15ft. on our second dive to a spectacular 100 ft. on our final day of diving.

We dove on four wrecks including two of the best dives I’ve ever done on the U-352. It’s amazing how much more you see and find on these wrecks each time you dive them.

The crew on the boats were top notch and very attentive to the safety and care of all divers. During our three-days of diving they skillfully dealt with one case of possible DCS and two divers who mistook their air dive for a nitrox dive and blew through a 12 minute deco requirement. I’m glad to say that the crew accomplished this without skipping a single dive on our schedule and that none of these divers were from the SD.com group or seriously injured. (Haven't heard the final on the DCS victim, but, he was at least walking and talking when he left the boat for the hospital).

My biggest mishap on the trip was letting my computer default to 50% EAN and go into PPO2 Berserk-Mode on the descent of our third dive. Fortunately, I remembered the NDL for the maximum depth we were diving and was able to continue the dive without incident on my trusty depth gauge and wind-up bottom timer. Its the second time this year my bottom timer saved a dive for me, so, I'm taking it out for drinks tonight (With my luck, it will probably have me in bed by 9:00).

Thanks to all on the trip for being such great company, especially Adam12 for being a great dive buddy on all six dives. Sorry I had to rush off so quickly at the end, but, I’m sure I’ll see you all again on other trips.

Kamala: I think the next NC trip should be a 2 night -3 day live-aboard complete with night dives, EH! You can sign me up for that one immediately if you book it. O yea, I put a check in the mail to you today for the $87 I owe you.

Edited by BubbleBoy, 08 October 2007 - 06:17 PM.

BB

When you make fish laugh, they can't bite you.

#212 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts
  • Board Status:thinkin' about diving
  • Cert Level:DM; TDI Adv Nitrox and Deco Procedures
  • Logged Dives:1200 ish

Posted 08 October 2007 - 05:59 PM

I dove dry the first two days but switched to a wet suit to penetrate the U-boat. Still, I was comfortable all three days.

I heard someone got bent on the Schurz on Friday--are they OK? Was it an SD member?

The temps were really nice for October! I was expecting mid to upper 70's and we got low 80's all weekend...and the vis ranged from 15' to 100'!

we did have a guy get hurt on Friday but since he's not a member of SD we didn't get a report about his conditon...the last we heard he had been transported to Duke for evaluation.

the highlight of the trip for me was getting my 300th dive, diving with Drewski and completing my Adv Nitrox and Deco Procecures classes!!! I think Trimix will be in my sights in the next year :cheerleader:

#213 Drewski

Drewski

Getting started

• Pip
  • 15 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor (NAUI 7537), I'm a WRECK diver!
  • Logged Dives:1000+

Posted 08 October 2007 - 06:45 PM

the highlight of the trip for me was getting my 300th dive, diving with Drewski and completing my Adv Nitrox and Deco Procecures classes!!! I think Trimix will be in my sights in the next year :welcome:

Hey Girl:

You can "grab my fin" ANYTIME! It was a PLEASURE diving with you! To the rest of the SD.com members, Kim is a TOP NOTCH buddy - anytime, any dive... :cheerleader:

So, when we doing the Oriskany?

I'm in Tampa this week, BTW...

See ya...

Andy
Drewski
To visit my Flickr page, click here or check out WreckDiverVideo.com.

#214 VADiver

VADiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts
  • Cert Level:GUE T2/C1
  • Logged Dives:400+

Posted 08 October 2007 - 06:50 PM

Thanks...I heard he was medevac'd to Duke but we didn't have a name so I was worried I might have known him. I'm glad he seemed OK when he got off the boat.

Oh, congrats on your 300th dive.

#215 BubbleBoy

BubbleBoy

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW + Deep, Wreck, Drysuit, Navigation, Night, Rescue, Nitrox Specialties
  • Logged Dives:300+

Posted 09 October 2007 - 04:03 PM

I dove dry the first two days but switched to a wet suit to penetrate the U-boat. Still, I was comfortable all three days.

Vinny, where did you penetrate the U-Boat? The double hatch entry in front of the tower looked interesting. I couldn't see past the second hatch with my light. Can you get in there with your doubles?

Edited by BubbleBoy, 09 October 2007 - 04:04 PM.

BB

When you make fish laugh, they can't bite you.

#216 VADiver

VADiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts
  • Cert Level:GUE T2/C1
  • Logged Dives:400+

Posted 09 October 2007 - 05:14 PM

The first penetration was through the battery loading hatch--the square one just forward of the conning tower. Once inside I moved aft into the forward portion of the control room, then top the after portion of the control room, and then into the galley and chiefs quarters.

I tried for the motor room but was blocked by a sand. The next time I'm taking a shovel!

We exited through the batter hatch and then I penetrated through the forward topeado loading hatch. Needless to say the sand prevented me from moving to the torpeado tubes. Oh, well...next time.

Oh yeah...I can maneuver inside the sub with a set of double AL 80's and an AL 40 deco bottle--no problem.

Edited by VADiver, 09 October 2007 - 05:16 PM.

#217 runswithebulls

runswithebulls

Getting started

• Pip
  • 35 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue and Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:175

Posted 09 October 2007 - 06:02 PM

The first penetration was through the battery loading hatch--the square one just forward of the conning tower. Once inside I moved aft into the forward portion of the control room, then top the after portion of the control room, and then into the galley and chiefs quarters.

I tried for the motor room but was blocked by a sand. The next time I'm taking a shovel!

We exited through the batter hatch and then I penetrated through the forward topeado loading hatch. Needless to say the sand prevented me from moving to the torpeado tubes. Oh, well...next time.

Oh yeah...I can maneuver inside the sub with a set of double AL 80's and an AL 40 deco bottle--no problem.

It was really a great trip, barring the first days conditions for which i was a bit unprepared :wavey: (yep , really got blue and green too...).

My highlight was diving the sub; the crew was on the up and up in all respects and the bbq on saturday was great. Not to mention dinner on Sunday...

My pics will follow...

#218 Topless

Topless

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD
  • Logged Dives:138

Posted 09 October 2007 - 06:41 PM

I started a trip report thread over here: http://www.singlediv...showtopic=14211

Please post your comments and pics over there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users