• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Speaking of expenses

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 ereediver

ereediver

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 236 posts
  • Cert Level:Open water, AOW
  • Logged Dives:17

Posted 19 January 2007 - 05:09 PM

I was thinking while I made my last post about how other deal with the "Do you really need that?" from the significant other. For the most part my wife knows about all my major purchases. I do know folks who buy big ticket items on the sly, then deal with the repercussions later. Then there are those who have separate accounts pay separate bills and buy separate things. So I was just throwing it how there What group are you, and does buying SCUBA gear create friction?

John

#2 drbill

drbill

I spend too much time on line

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 19 January 2007 - 05:11 PM

I have no significant other (at least not in the usual sense of the phrase), although I'm still looking. Therefore I make the purchases without consulting anyone except my bank (and not on credit). If I had one, she'd probably have "all" the money, so I'd definitely have to consult her (just teasing).

#3 jextract

jextract

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor, Divemaster, Nitrox, Rescue, Wreck, ...
  • Logged Dives:120ish

Posted 19 January 2007 - 05:16 PM

My wife and I have separate accounts. That way, I have no say if she chooses to buy something she wants or vice versa. I will never again, EVER, have a joint account. I work way too hard to have to ask permission for ANYTHING I want to spend my money on.
"Because I accept the definition, does not mean I accept the defined." -- ScubaHawk
"Love is blind but lust likes lacy panties" -- SanDiegoCarol
"If you're gonna be dumb, you'd better be tough." -- Phillip Manor
"If I know the answer I'll tell you the answer, and if I don't I'll just respond cleverly." -- Donald Rumsfeld

#4 jeff

jeff

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Cert Level:ow plus
  • Logged Dives:120

Posted 19 January 2007 - 06:43 PM

i have a friend who is with a girl and their kid. I call them married. He's buying the house(soon to get her name on it) and she buys everything else (food, tv, phone, power...) and they buy their own cars. They never fight about money ((i don't want to hear about never say never)) They have found an arrangement that works very well for them, to the outside public.
jeff aka nice-diver

#5 cmt489

cmt489

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,346 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:75+

Posted 19 January 2007 - 07:10 PM

When I was married my ex had no idea what the accounts even looked like let alone was was bought or spent. I do, however, recall this past year going on a little shopping spree (okay, a big one) and the sales clerk commenting that I may need to sneak things in the house. My comment was that my dog doesn't seem to care what I buy... :D

#6 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts
  • Board Status:thinkin' about diving
  • Cert Level:DM; TDI Adv Nitrox and Deco Procedures
  • Logged Dives:1200 ish

Posted 19 January 2007 - 08:23 PM

If you're in a community property state like Texas and you're not married, then separate accounts are a must!

Also, I believe statistics show that the most common point of friction in any marriage is finances

#7 nurseshark

nurseshark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW,Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:200

Posted 19 January 2007 - 10:45 PM

If you're in a community property state like Texas and you're not married, then separate accounts are a must!

Also, I believe statistics show that the most common point of friction in any marriage is finances

This is very true and excellant advice!

My ex and I were married for 23 years and all our major arguments were about money...
He was overly controlling and hid every penny he could. He had other issues but this was the biggie. He even insisted my paychecks go directly into his accounts but I had no access to my money ....I was kept virtually in the dark about all our finances and I really did have to"" sneak" in any purchases..even groceries and kids clothes , etc..it was a nightmare...

I will NEVER EVER share finances with anyone. Separate accounts are a must. But ..you both need to be open and honest about what it is you want and need ..Secrets lead to distrust..

I can now say,after happily shopping without going home sick with anxiety, my dog loves all that I get and thinks my tastes are Fabulous!! :lmao:

Karen

Edited by nurseshark, 19 January 2007 - 10:45 PM.

#8 madlobster

madlobster

• PipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts
  • Cert Level:rescue diver
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 20 January 2007 - 01:43 PM

Janet and I have joint accounts and have for years. We are both free to buy what we would like but of course before any major purchases we do we will review them.
"The thing about dreams is sometimes you get to live'em out"- Payne Stewart

#9 ddierolf

ddierolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts
  • Cert Level:Padi Divemaster
  • Logged Dives:300+

Posted 18 February 2009 - 02:50 PM

Anyone have a "What's her's is her's and what's mine is her's" ?

Which end is up?

#10 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:448

Posted 18 February 2009 - 03:18 PM

For over 18 years, I had a joint account with my spouse. Since I'm an accountant I handled all the money, bills, investments, taxes. etc.

Now that we're on the rocks marriage-wise, we have separated our finances for the most part. I'm sure it's a shock to his system to have to deal with his own bills & banking... and investments? Fuggedaboudit! He'll be asking me questions for years....
Posted Image

#11 ddierolf

ddierolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts
  • Cert Level:Padi Divemaster
  • Logged Dives:300+

Posted 18 February 2009 - 04:50 PM

For over 18 years, I had a joint account with my spouse. Since I'm an accountant I handled all the money, bills, investments, taxes. etc.

Now that we're on the rocks marriage-wise, we have separated our finances for the most part. I'm sure it's a shock to his system to have to deal with his own bills & banking... and investments? Fuggedaboudit! He'll be asking me questions for years....

I understand your situation very well!

Which end is up?

#12 Parrotman

Parrotman

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts
  • Cert Level:OW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:I stopped putting them in the book at 300 I'm somewhere around 950 now

Posted 18 February 2009 - 05:25 PM

that is pretty much how it is around here. I don't see my paycheck, it goes directly into the bank. My wife has a trust fund that she gets income from that goes into a bank account in her name only. However that account does pay the property taxes, insurance etc.

It works for us. We have been married for 33 years and we never fight about money. That's cause I don't have any :lmao:

Just kidding. I get a pretty nice bonus from work every year and that is mine. I do with it as I please, I don't ask, or discuss.

It all works out in the end.
Sea Turtle advocate!

#13 scubajunkie6

scubajunkie6

• PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced and Nitrox certified
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 18 February 2009 - 08:09 PM

We have separate checking accounts, and a joint savings account. We agree to talk about big purchases that we make, but I'd be upset if I had to account for all the purchases I make.

What hubby spends is his.

-Margaret

Edited by scubajunkie6, 18 February 2009 - 08:10 PM.

#14 clearvis

clearvis

Getting started

• Premier Member
  • Pip
  • 40 posts
  • Cert Level:NASDA Open Water 1977
  • Logged Dives:200 plus

Posted 18 February 2009 - 09:26 PM

I think every couple has to work out what works best for them, especially in two income families. Some do well with one person handling all the money, others don't. In my situation it created a lot of arguments in the early days, I guess since there wasn't that much coming in the real arguments were what to do with the little disposable income that we had. She might want to buy a piece of furniture and I'd want to buy diving or fishing gear. You have to set your priorities.

Once we divided up the checking accounts and bill paying responsibilities and income increased the arguments went away. We now have way too much furniture and probably too many of my toys too.

#15 ScubaSis

ScubaSis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,753 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW/Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:151

Posted 18 February 2009 - 10:29 PM

I was burned on the joint accounts thing.

Not only do I think finances need to be kept separate I think a good prenuptial is a must!!

Not changing the subject but are prenups legal in Texas?????
Handle every stresssful situation like a dog.
If you can't eat it or play with it,
Just pee on it and walk away.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users