• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Training to be a Better Diver?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 DandyDon

DandyDon

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox / Scientific / Rescue / TDI Decompression
  • Logged Dives:351 dives, mostly ocean

Posted 24 March 2004 - 11:38 AM

I've got my Padi AOW & Nitrox cards and 158 dives - mostly ocean dives in varying conditions, which qualifies me for the vast majority of charters available to a traveling diver, but I want to learn to be a better diver. I am not into card collecting, and when I've asked presented all this a few instructors - they've told me little about other Padi courses that will help. Rescue would help some I'm sure, or SSI's Stress & Rescue, but the descriptions don't promise much in real dive learning. Arguements so far...?

I'm looking into Tech classes, like DeCom - which I'm doing some anyway, and/or Advanced Nitrox. Any comments.

Most important is practice & study, I'm sure, so I dive every chance I get and read everything that looks helpful.

thanks, don

:flower:
What would Patton do...? Posted Image

Yeah I know: I've been branded a non-group person - doesn't play well with others. I am so upset. Posted Image Let me know if you want to have some fun, without the drama - I'm good for that.

#2 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 24 March 2004 - 01:22 PM

I prefer YMCA's SLAM (SCUBA Lifesaving and Accident Management), but most any rescue type class would benefit most divers. I also highly recommend oxygen administration, CPR and first aid. While the last three won't make you a better diver, they are courses every diver should take and should remain current.

Experience is a great teacher.

Walter
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#3 Diverbrian

Diverbrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI DiveCon/IANTD Normoxic Trimix.....
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 04 April 2004 - 11:45 PM

I've got my Padi AOW & Nitrox cards and 158 dives - mostly ocean dives in varying conditions, which qualifies me for the vast majority of charters available to a traveling diver, but I want to learn to be a better diver. I am not into card collecting, and when I've asked presented all this a few instructors - they've told me little about other Padi courses that will help. Rescue would help some I'm sure, or SSI's Stress & Rescue, but the descriptions don't promise much in real dive learning. Arguements so far...?

I'm looking into Tech classes, like DeCom - which I'm doing some anyway, and/or Advanced Nitrox. Any comments.

Most important is practice & study, I'm sure, so I dive every chance I get and read everything that looks helpful.

thanks, don

:cool2:

Actually Don,

I am with Walter's basic point on this. The rescue course (whatever agency) should probably come first.

IANTD Adv. Nitrox stresses that you had better be able to assist your buddy as problems with a deco obligation are not a pretty picture anyways and doubly so if one buddy isn't trained to deal certain situations that may arise.

The rescue course will normally give the diver that takes it a little more confidence, which will help them remain calm. A more calm diver is a safer diver. Hence, your diving skills will improve (especially when they make you take up an "unconcious" football linebacker and try to tow him to safety or worse when said linebacker "panics", LOL).

Just my thoughts.
A person should be judged in this life not by the mistakes that they make nor by the number of them. Rather they are to be judged by their recovery from them.

#4 Coo's Toe

Coo's Toe

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts
  • Cert Level: DIR-F

Posted 05 April 2004 - 12:00 PM

I'll second Walter's suggestion. I took the PADI Rescue course and really benefitted from it. The YMCA course sounds even better. Getting an O2 provider course and a refresher course in CPR would also be my recommendations for every diver.

There's not a lot you can do in the water to save a life, so the focus would be on either preventing a rescue scenario, or getting an injured diver back to shore and getting first aid started. If you get them back to shore and don't have any land based rescue skills... you get the picture.

#5 chinacat46

chinacat46

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,147 posts
  • Cert Level:OWSI
  • Logged Dives:1527(8 in fresh water)

Posted 05 April 2004 - 12:03 PM

I to agree that the Rescue course is very important along with the O2 provider and CPR training. The rescue course is fun and will definitely make you a better diver, a better buddy and more confident.

- Chuck

#6 nextariel

nextariel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,531 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:350+

Posted 05 April 2004 - 05:16 PM

I to agree that the Rescue course is very important along with the O2 provider and CPR training. The rescue course is fun and will definitely make you a better diver, a better buddy and more confident.

- Chuck

I will second, third or fourth that which ever is correct. I learned a great deal in the Rescue, but O2 Provider and CPR are great to know. The more training you have, the better choices you will make when a situation arises - at least that's my opinion.

Edited by nextariel, 05 April 2004 - 05:17 PM.

Laugh at yourself first, before anyone else can. --Elsa Maxwell, September 28, 1958

#7 HDrider

HDrider

Getting started

• Pip
  • 17 posts
  • Cert Level:Technical Divemaster

Posted 05 April 2004 - 09:17 PM

I want to learn to be a better diver. I am not into card collecting, and when I've asked presented all this a few instructors - they've told me little about other Padi courses that will help.

Don,

The technical classes you have mentioned above go hand in hand together. You will learn much from these courses from gear, method, planning, Physiology, Physics, you name it you are going to learn more about it. I think you meet the prerequisite to begin an Advanced Nitrox Course; if I am not mistaken the prerequisite for TDI Advanced Nitrox is a Nitrox certification. The prerequisite for Decompression Procedures is Advanced Nitrox. If you would like to discuss this deeper I would be happy to do so.

Tom
Luke 5:9 For he and all who were with him were astonished at the catch of fish which they had taken

#8 DandyDon

DandyDon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox / Scientific / Rescue / TDI Decompression
  • Logged Dives:351 dives, mostly ocean

Posted 07 April 2004 - 01:50 PM

If you would like to discuss this deeper I would be happy to do so.

Thanks, Tom. We don't have a lot of choices of instructors here on the desert, and it looks like I have only one possibility for Tech courses. I will be diving with him and his wife soon, though - his requirement before he'll consider me for Tach training, so I guess I'll learn more then. I'll talk with him about the Rescuse Class again, too.

If you have any other suggestions, please do let me know...??

don
What would Patton do...? Posted Image

Yeah I know: I've been branded a non-group person - doesn't play well with others. I am so upset. Posted Image Let me know if you want to have some fun, without the drama - I'm good for that.

#9 HDrider

HDrider

Getting started

• Pip
  • 17 posts
  • Cert Level:Technical Divemaster

Posted 07 April 2004 - 09:16 PM

Don,

You may want to look over this list to see if there is anything near you. This list is for Texas only.

If you are interested in taking the class in a different state I can get you another list, also if you are interested in travel for your class I could recommend a few instructors for you.

I do personally know one that has moved to Texas. I took my Decompression procedures course with him; I think he is in DFW. The problem you will have taking the class there is finding water suitable for the dives, at least that is what I would suspect. I am not that familiar with the diving in Texas, but from talking with my friend there it sounds as though in his area it would be a problem finding an appropriate dive site.
Luke 5:9 For he and all who were with him were astonished at the catch of fish which they had taken

#10 Admiral Hanson

Admiral Hanson

Getting started

• Pip
  • 27 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:320+

Posted 09 May 2004 - 01:21 PM

There is always the Doing It Right - A Guide To Better Diving book by Jarrod Jablonski

Got it recently and there are some interesting things in there, even if you're not after DIR

#11 Coo's Toe

Coo's Toe

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts
  • Cert Level: DIR-F

Posted 09 May 2004 - 04:59 PM

There is always the Doing It Right - A Guide To Better Diving book by Jarrod Jablonski

Got it recently and there are some interesting things in there, even if you're not after DIR

I think especially useful are the lists of goals. You can compare your own abilities to the list, and set goals for additional practice based on the lists. Loads of good info in there, although I feel a lot of areas were left intentionally vague, but of course they want you to take the class, right?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users