• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Going to try to lose some weight

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 tstormwarning

tstormwarning

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW Instructor (AOWSI)
  • Logged Dives:1200

Posted 02 February 2007 - 09:32 PM

Starting this week, I'll be starting to try to lose some weight. My biggest things will be to cut WAY back on sodas (my downfall, I'm afraid). I will only have skim milk, juice, sugar free lemonade & water in the house to drink. I will also start doing some indoor swimming for some exercise & walking once things start to warm up a bit. I am going on a diving trip in May & want to look & feel my best :birthday: .

I need some ideas on how to eat healthier. I work 12hr swing shifts & when I get off, It's hard to have the energy to do much of anything, let alone cook for 1 person. Are there many things that are good for me that I can whip up quick to eat after getting off work & before going back in?

Thank you all for your help support.
Tammy Storm SSI OWSI #46723 SDI & TDI Instructor #15093

#2 cat fish

cat fish

"Atocha Queen"

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,355 posts
  • Board Status:online
  • Cert Level:15+ years diving. Rec -Tek-Cavern
  • Logged Dives:450+

Posted 02 February 2007 - 10:10 PM

Tammy,
Way to go! Proud of you! :birthday:
Not enough time is a real problem. I prepare most of my own foods "from scratch" as they say, because I limit the amount of processed foods I eat. HowI handle the time crunch and still have lots of quality food prepared: I never ever cook enough for just one meal! I will cook enough for at least two meals, and usually for at least four. I can put extra meals in the fridge or freezer. That way, the next meal is good, and quick! It has worked for me for years. I usually cook on the weekend, and really try not to deal with it after a day's work. After twelve hours, girl, you deserve to relax!

I also have a crock pot; I especially like to make soup in it. You really can't go wrong. Seriously, I never make just one meal. Even if I make an omelet, I make an extra one for a day or two later. Tastes just fine, and I know what I'm eating. If I bake potatoes, I bake extra. I make a big enough salad for two days, then just need to add dressing. You get the idea... I hope this helps. Time management frees us up to take care of ourselves, and to eat with us in the driver's seat, instead of Big Business. (It's not in their best interest for us to figure out how to manage our cooking time!). Cheers, -cat

#3 ScubaTex

ScubaTex

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver
  • Logged Dives:720+

Posted 03 February 2007 - 10:04 AM

A couple of years ago I was extremely overweight and was going through a severala medical and dental issues, when I decided the way I was living/eating was going to kill me. The medical condition required me to take antibiotics, which started my weight loss. I knew I would have to completely change my diet, from fast/restaurant food, to home cooked food consisting primarily of fresh fruit, vegetables, and soups.

During the same time I read a couple of books dealing with weight loss and nutrition. I suggest you read one of the books written by Dr. Nicholas Perricone. While he is a dermatologist, his principle is, what is happening inside your body is reflected in your skin. I have adopted some of his principles into to my diet regimen.

Another key component, as you have stated will be exercise. I like you, try to walk or bicycle, when the weather allows. I am also fortunate to have a stationary bicycle trainer in my den, to ride when the weather forces me to stay indoors. When I watch the idiot tube, I use the commercial breaks to crunches and leg lifts.

Significant weight loss is a long term project, it took me 18 months to lose 85 lbs, and I am still very mindful of my weight and what I eat. I do allow myself a big steak dinner once a month, as a reward. I know when I have strayed from my diet, it is reflected by the scale. But the benefits are worth it, the acid reflux and sleep apnea are gone, my energy levels have inceased.

Good luck, there will be times when you will be frustrated, but stay the course, and you will be rewarded.

Time on earth is precious, time underwater even more so. Live life one day at a time. Dive your @$$ off!!!

#4 tstormwarning

tstormwarning

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 03 February 2007 - 10:10 AM

Very good ideas, all. Thank you.

#5 txagdive

txagdive

Getting started

• Pip
  • 33 posts
  • Cert Level:Basic certification

Posted 03 February 2007 - 11:51 AM

to me the most important thing is to remind yourself that not having that second helping or snack or whatever is worth it to feel better in the long run...and remember that once you achieve your goal weight it is very easy to maintain...i'm a big fitness nut and i find a controlled diet and at least 30 mins of aerobic exercise works well...when determining your diet plan always take into account your daily activities...such as if you have a desk job you are going to have to either be very careful about your calorie intake or supplement the evening with exercise that you don't get during the day

one other little trick is eat dinner early and don't let that tricky little thing called a stomach convince you to eat more...my biggest downfall...lol

hope i helped

#6 tstormwarning

tstormwarning

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 03 February 2007 - 12:36 PM

i'm a big fitness nut and i find a controlled diet and at least 30 mins of aerobic exercise works well...when determining your diet plan always take into account your daily activities...such as if you have a desk job you are going to have to either be very careful about your calorie intake or supplement the evening with exercise that you don't get during the day

one other little trick is eat dinner early and don't let that tricky little thing called a stomach convince you to eat more...my biggest downfall...lol

hope i helped

You sure did! I used to be a fitness nut. I was a black belt in the martial arts for about 8 yrs. How ever the head master & I started not to see thing eye to eye so much. He started demanding more of my time each day than I could reasonably give. I was in classes 4-6hrs a day4 days a week & 4hrs two days, with 1 day off. This was on top of working my 12hr. swing shifts. After a few years, it just proved to be too much, as I had basically no life outside of work or the martial arts school. As for my activity at work..... well on a normal shift, it's some walking (always take the stairs) to collect samples, lots of standing while running tests & a little sitting while entering data. I am going to try to find some snacks for work to munch on during breaks (our crew takes breaks together to discuss production & safety & everyone eats). I'm thinking some nuts, a few fruits (I'm not much of a fruit connoisseur) & maybe occasionally crackers & cheese, some really light stuff. Other than a few diet sodas there'll be no other sodas, just juice, milk & water in the house. I'll admit, working swing shifts really does a number at eating on a regular schedule. I know it won't be easy, that's why I'm looking for support & distractions anywhere I can find it.

#7 Brinybay

Brinybay

I spend too much time on line

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:580

Posted 03 February 2007 - 02:12 PM

Starting this week, I'll be starting to try to lose some weight. My biggest things will be to cut WAY back on sodas (my downfall, I'm afraid). I will only have skim milk, juice, sugar free lemonade & water in the house to drink. I will also start doing some indoor swimming for some exercise & walking once things start to warm up a bit. I am going on a diving trip in May & want to look & feel my best :cool1: .

I need some ideas on how to eat healthier. I work 12hr swing shifts & when I get off, It's hard to have the energy to do much of anything, let alone cook for 1 person. Are there many things that are good for me that I can whip up quick to eat after getting off work & before going back in?

Thank you all for your help support.

The only weight loss program that worked for me was through my HMO, but anybody could join it. They used HMR products that I continue to buy/consume because they are low-cal, low-fat and easy to store and prepare (just nuke them for a couple minutes). It was very structured, but it worked.
"The cure for anything is saltwater--sweat, tears, or the sea." - Isak Dinesen

"A good marriage is like an interlocking neurosis, where the rocks in one person's head fill up the holes in the other's."

#8 txagdive

txagdive

Getting started

• Pip
  • 33 posts
  • Cert Level:Basic certification

Posted 03 February 2007 - 06:35 PM

one other...thing... don't mix high carb with high fat....if you wanna eat something that tastes good but is fatty or high in protein then don't eat any carbs with that meal therefore your body will attack the fat since it has no sugars to go after otherwise you will store the fat and process the carbs...

a little hard work and you will succeed i have faith in you :cool1:

#9 weescot

weescot

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 07 April 2007 - 08:46 AM

Hi Tammy - not sure if you are still looking for tips - I have just joined SD and getting my way around the site. Last year I pitched up in cArio overweight (gradual since leaving the military) and faced an indefinate period living in a hotel. I did however have the incentive of unlimited weekend diving in the Red Sea. I HAD to get fit/lost weight and have done it by being very disciplined going to the gym 2 or 3 times per week no matter how exhausted I feel (the heat/polution last summer was almost intolerable here). I swim if I am really tired....

for drinks, I just drink water and diet sodas (max one per day)

For diet, I have cut out ALL sugar, except fruit. I also have cut out ALL carbs except at breakfast - this is my TOP TIP (from personal trainier). No potatoes/bread/rice etc at all after breakfast time, except one night a week (so I don't crave). As previously stated, soups are great - the original and wholesome fast food and can be prepared. I also go for grilled chicken and fish with veg (no potatoes) and quick n' easy salads like greek salad. The result has been to go down 2 dress sizes (10 kilos lost) and an extra 10 - 15 minutes underwater! As previously mentioned, a slow pace and gradual habit change is beter than faddy diets. Stick at it!!! You will definately see the benefits when diving!

Enjoy your trip. sheena
Please credit Avatar to ScubaShafer

#10 Cold_H2O

Cold_H2O

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,498 posts
  • Logged Dives:lost count but back to keeping a log.

Posted 07 April 2007 - 07:13 PM

Congrats on the goal to get in better shape. I am also working on my fitness/health.
I come from a family of gals who tend to get big as they get older and that usually leads to diabetis not something I wish to deal with as I get older.

I agree with Cat Fish ~ time is an issue for me also. I never have enough. It leads to bad eating habits.
Preparing meals with enough left overs for a second or third is a great idea.
I even package them up individually when I am putting them away so I just have to grab them out of the fridge in the morning.

There are several foods that are great snacks for adding to your meals.
They are low in the bad stuff and high in the good stuff.

Spinach is great ~ I use it instead of lettuce in a salad. It is a healthier more nutritious option.
Cucumbers
Baby Carrots
Blueberries
Asparagus ~ I eat it raw...
Apples
Bananas
Unbreaded Shrimp are great. Low calories and if you get the frozen ones they take about a minute in the microwave.

I eat a lot more salads now ~ I have started using balsamic vinager instead of salad dressing.

I have also added yogert to my daily diet. They say if you add dairy to your diet it will be easier to drop the extra pounds.

I have never been a good breakfast eater. It was always and iced mocha and maybe a muffin top.
I am now eating oatmeal and either having a cup of plain black coffee or hot tea.

I will also encourage you to make sure you drink lots of water. I go thru at least 2 32oz bottles most days.
I have a reuseable nalgen bottle that I take to work. It is easier for me to see how much water I am drinking. If I have the water in front of me I will drink it ~ no special trips to the water fountain that eat up time.

A great multi-vitamin each day is also a must.

Hope you find some of this helpful ~ I wish you great success on your new healthier life.
Keep your goal in mind when you are craving something I know that works for me.
I also allow myself a few "free passes". I don't allow myself to eat the whole bag of cookies but I do allow a few every now and then.
I am really bad if I know I just CAN'T have something.
If I know that I can have anything I want but that I can only have a few or trade it for something else later {eating cookies at work = having a salad for dinner) I do much better and am able to stick to my diet.
Well Behave Women Rarely Make History ~ Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Formerly known as gis_gal and name tattoo'd for a small bribe!

#11 matts1w

matts1w

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 08 April 2007 - 07:00 AM

This was painted on my college wrestling room's wall:

"In order for a lion to survive it has to wake up running faster than the slowest gazelle in order to eat for that day. In order for the gazelle to survive it must wake up running faster than the fastest lion in order to survive. Either way regardless of what side you are on if you want to live then you have to wake up running."

I am of the belief that the only way to get weight off is to run/do lots of cardio.

No carbs, some carbs, grapefruits, low fat, South Beach diet, Physicians weight loss, weight watchers...whatever diet ...it all comes and goes.

There is really only one proven method- count calories and go run.

Edited by matts1w, 08 April 2007 - 07:01 AM.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, and totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW! -- What a Ride!"

#12 RoyN

RoyN

Getting started

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Gender:Default...if you do not click on either male or female, a moderator will contact you to help fill out correctly.
  • Cert Level:Advance Open Water
  • Logged Dives:??

Posted 29 May 2007 - 01:59 AM

Scuba diving was what got me to start changing my life, diet, and habits. I started out at 232lb and went down to 150lb. However in recent week, I unfortunately bounce back to 160lb and now I'm working to get it down. What helps me motivated is I wanna look good in a wetsuit, don't want to buy replacement BC just for a refit, and want to be in good shape. A fit diver is a happy diver. :thankyou:

Anyways, my diet consist of the main meat is salmon because I cannot seem to ingest land meat. The other thing I'll eat is white egg without the yellow york in order to build muscles which is also lean mass that will sink rather then float like fat. That also helps build my organic weight belt for diving and helps ease the need to carry any lead weight. My current weight lead is 20lbs of lead and I'm feeling I need to do some pool weight to find my new number.
With Loving Care, Royston Nguyen

#13 netmage

netmage

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts
  • Cert Level:Tech & Cave
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 29 May 2007 - 07:39 AM

I'm with Matt here... Cardio & Calories.....

In my opinion, 'which diet' is really only figuring out a 'meal plan' that works for you... i.e. something you can stick with; I mean, all the celrey in the world won't do you any good if you hate celrey right...? Understand the basics of BMR and understand what your eating. Its simple algebra from there.

Also - the most powerful motivator I found was other peoples successes. It demistified everything and let me know anything was possible. It's now just a matter of willpower and desire. Being an IT geek, I heavily used a program called FitDay, easily the best money ever spent.. $20 and it saved my life.

This first pic shows before (~385) and 'near goal' (~207)

0123_status.jpg

This next one is near rock bottom ~172, and in hindsight too skinny no matter what the charts say - I mean you could see my ribs thru a shirt; I'd like to think it was my rock solid abs, but it wasn't... :thankyou: (BMI was at the high end (24.68) of healthy, (18.5-25). With diving and my workouts being heavy on legwork, my quads still think I weigh 300+, I sink and wear no lead w/ my ss plate.

Dive_Show004.jpg

I've since packed on a few, trying to get back in the groove and drop 30 or so. Tons of excuses; work, school, diving... Got to get to the gym every day... even if its just 30 mins walking (uphill) on a treadmill, elliptical or stairs... Keep up the fight...

stats.png

-Tim

Edited by netmage, 29 May 2007 - 07:48 AM.

"I aim to misbehave...."

#14 Cold_H2O

Cold_H2O

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,498 posts
  • Logged Dives:lost count but back to keeping a log.

Posted 29 May 2007 - 11:39 PM

Eating well is a key part.
Exercising is another key part.

It takes both to make things work.

Tim ~ congrats Its takes alot of will power and effort to make the changes you have even more to stick with them. :o

Edited by gis_gal, 29 May 2007 - 11:48 PM.

Well Behave Women Rarely Make History ~ Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Formerly known as gis_gal and name tattoo'd for a small bribe!

#15 annasea

annasea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 12:08 AM

<snip>

Tim ~ congrats Its takes alot of will power and effort to make the changes you have even more to stick with them. :o

I agree. Major kudos to you, Tim! (I barely have the willpower to go a day without stuffing a chocolate bar into my fat, little face. :P) Over 200# in a year and a half AND the ability to maintain it... quite the accomplishment. :teeth:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users