• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Birthday Posts

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 shadragon

shadragon

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD / DM / Solo
  • Logged Dives:534' ish

Posted 14 February 2007 - 07:09 AM

Morning,

I was just going through the list of New Posts and see a lot of space is being taken up by "Happy Birthday" Posts to various members. I have nothing against these posts per se, but right now we have 3200'ish members so divided by 365 days that equals 8.7 posts a day on average. This number will continue to grow as the boards fame spreads... It will be a matter of time before these auto-posts start to flood the new post list with birthday greetings daily.

May I suggest a solution similar to SB where they list birthdays on the bottom of their Main Forum page instead of an auto-post. It looks something like:

Today's Birthdays:
WreckWench Shadragon finGrabber NurseShark Moose...etc.

...with each being a link to that persons profile. Would save a bit of space and processing overhead as well too I suspect.

If you like the sugg I will take the credit. If you don't like the idea,... Well, it was Moose's... :birthday:
Remember, email is an inefficient communications forum. You may not read things the way it was intended. Give people the benefit of the doubt before firing back... Especially if it is ME...! ;)

Tech Support - The hard we do right away; the impossible takes us a little longer...

"I like ponies on no-stop diving. They convert "ARGH!! I'M GOING TO DIE" into a mere annoyance." ~Nigel Hewitt

#2 Basslet

Basslet

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:150

Posted 14 February 2007 - 07:30 AM

Morning,

I was just going through the list of New Posts and see a lot of space is being taken up by "Happy Birthday" Posts to various members. I have nothing against these posts per se, but right now we have 3200'ish members so divided by 365 days that equals 8.7 posts a day on average. This number will continue to grow as the boards fame spreads... It will be a matter of time before these auto-posts start to flood the new post list with birthday greetings daily.

May I suggest a solution similar to SB where they list birthdays on the bottom of their Main Forum page instead of an auto-post. It looks something like:

Today's Birthdays:
WreckWench Shadragon finGrabber NurseShark Moose...etc.

...with each being a link to that persons profile. Would save a bit of space and processing overhead as well too I suspect.

If you like the sugg I will take the credit. If you don't like the idea,... Well, it was Moose's... :birthday:

:birthday:

#3 Racer184

Racer184

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts
  • Cert Level:Former Open Water Instructor S.D.I.
  • Logged Dives:>500

Posted 14 February 2007 - 08:06 AM

And add to that suggestion, that I have NEVER supplied my correct birthday on any forum.

Once you have the correct birthday, sex and spelling of first and last name you can calculate out the driver license for anyone in nearly every state of the U.S.A.

Have the name and birthdate? Now find out where they were born and requrest a copy of the birth certificate. Now go to the social security office and get a replacement social security card. Take the card to the driver license office and get a new driver license with your picture and their name. and so on and so on......

#4 ScubaHawk

ScubaHawk

Midwest HH Planner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,265 posts
  • Cert Level:Dive Master
  • Logged Dives:1000+

Posted 14 February 2007 - 09:33 AM

Just to correct a misconception . . . Those are not auto posts. Those are real live human (or mostly human) members wishing other members happy birthday. There is a list of members birthdays at the bottom of the index page.

Edited by ScubaHawk, 14 February 2007 - 09:34 AM.

Take an SD trip - See old friends you have never met before!
Every existing thing is born without reason, prolongs itself out of weakness, and dies by chance. - Jean-Paul Sartre
I feel the urge, the urge to submerge! -ScubaHawk - Raptor of the Deep !
WHO DAT!!!!

#5 cat fish

cat fish

"Atocha Queen"

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,355 posts
  • Board Status:online
  • Cert Level:15+ years diving. Rec -Tek-Cavern
  • Logged Dives:450+

Posted 14 February 2007 - 09:59 AM

I got five messages on my birthday (THANK YOU Dive Girl, cmt489, WreckWench, BeachBunny and annasea). As a new member who had not yet met any of these folks, it sure made me feel welcome to hear from my web-based scuba family. I live far from my own family so I especially appreciated it. The day may come when the number of bday posts will require a different treatment, but I sure hope I get at least one more birthday in before it happens! :banghead:

#6 cmt489

cmt489

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,346 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:75+

Posted 14 February 2007 - 10:14 AM

I got five messages on my birthday (THANK YOU Dive Girl, cmt489, WreckWench, BeachBunny and annasea). As a new member who had not yet met any of these folks, it sure made me feel welcome to hear from my web-based scuba family. I live far from my own family so I especially appreciated it. The day may come when the number of bday posts will require a different treatment, but I sure hope I get at least one more birthday in before it happens! :)

And THANK YOU Sylvia for being such a great new member!

Sylvia's comments are exactly why we have our birthday wishes forum. As stated by Hawk, they are indeed posted by real live humans (or mostly humans :-D ) to ensure a personal touch to our membership. After all, you are all part of the SD family and we all expect birthday wishes from our family!

On a more serious note, it is up to a member whether to provide their full birthdate, just the day and month or nothing at all. If someone does not want his/her birthday to be recognized then nothing need be put in. If that person does not want his/her age known, then the birth year does not need to be given. Further, there is absolutely no need for last names to be provided in your profile information so no need to fear further personal information being obtained by those using our site.

So, in the meantime, please bear with our birthday posts and feel free to post your own birthday greetings to our members! Your turn will come when it is time for your birthday greetings! :banghead:

#7 shadragon

shadragon

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 11:07 AM

And add to that suggestion, that I have NEVER supplied my correct birthday on any forum.

Once you have the correct birthday, sex and spelling of first and last name you can calculate out the driver license for anyone in nearly every state of the U.S.A.

Have the name and birthdate? Now find out where they were born and requrest a copy of the birth certificate. Now go to the social security office and get a replacement social security card. Take the card to the driver license office and get a new driver license with your picture and their name. and so on and so on......

In that case, I would like to change my name to Dr. Ngyuen Van Pheung as soon as practical please...

Yes, I have dealt with Identity Theft cases before and it is just that easy...

Thank for the feedback all. Good info...

Dr. Van Pheung
Remember, email is an inefficient communications forum. You may not read things the way it was intended. Give people the benefit of the doubt before firing back... Especially if it is ME...! ;)

Tech Support - The hard we do right away; the impossible takes us a little longer...

"I like ponies on no-stop diving. They convert "ARGH!! I'M GOING TO DIE" into a mere annoyance." ~Nigel Hewitt

#8 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts
  • Board Status:thinkin' about diving
  • Cert Level:DM; TDI Adv Nitrox and Deco Procedures
  • Logged Dives:1200 ish

Posted 14 February 2007 - 11:16 AM

do you only need the name and birthdate...what about the year?

#9 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts
  • Board Status:Omnes Qui Errant Non Pereunt!
  • Cert Level:Rec: DM -- Tec: Ext Range
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 14 February 2007 - 12:26 PM

The birthday posts where started in a way to wish members a happy birthday as on other boards you are just a number and not really recognized. plus for some people that may be the only recognition they get of there birthday.

I will second catfish's comments as when i first started on the board i really didnt know anyone but on my birthday got a couple of PM's with birthday wishes and then a year later i hadnt been on the board much but i had gotten to know the dallas HH crew somewhat. I also attended a trip over my birthday they got a cake for my birthday which i though was pretty cool. Thats more then some of my best friends had every done for me.

When i do the birthday annoucements i try to personalize them as best as i can based off the information i have for the member.

Racer: would you mind forwarding that info on how to calculate DL based off birthdates and such as i know all about ID theft as i have helped my mom combat a attempt that was made.

I am in need a real person and not a bot the surfs the forum, all you have to ask is WW, fingrabber, Dive_firl, nurseshark, capn jack, and platypusman they can vouch for me

Tooth

A Novus Dies Has Adveho.... Occupo Dies

Where in the World is Tooth? ... Catch Me It You Can!

Traveling the World, Diving, and Photography, on my days off from saving lives as a Paramedic

#10 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 14 February 2007 - 12:30 PM

I am in need a real person and not a bot the surfs the forum, all you have to ask is WW, fingrabber, Dive_firl, nurseshark, capn jack, and platypusman they can vouch for me

Yep Tooth is real! He's also a great underwater photographer! I dove with him in NC last July! Saw him kiss the nose of a great white in Africa! Ok...maybe that last part wasn't true, but the rest is! :banghead:

Shadragon, I do understand however what you are saying. I too suss through the birthday greatings when someone has posted to 20 in a row. I personally try to give birthday greats on the day of the birthday. Sometimes I miss them and prefer to send a personal PM at that point to not flood the board, but not everyone holds a premiere membership and can receive PMs.
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#11 shadragon

shadragon

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 12:35 PM

Here is a good breakout of ID Theft in general and how to avoid it. Lengthy, but certainly a good guide...

http://www.privacyri.../fs/fs17-it.htm

#12 nurseshark

nurseshark

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW,Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:200

Posted 14 February 2007 - 12:37 PM

Yep Tooth is real! He's also a great underwater photographer! I dove with him in NC last July! Saw him kiss the nose of a great white in Africa! Ok...maybe that last part wasn't true, but the rest is! :-D

Yup The Tooth is REAL...

Pretty good at getting all tied up in knots too :)

He has demonstrated this live and in person at the local HH

:banghead:

#13 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts
  • Board Status:Omnes Qui Errant Non Pereunt!
  • Cert Level:Rec: DM -- Tec: Ext Range
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 14 February 2007 - 12:38 PM

DG: if you put almost rear ended a tiger on the papoose you wouldnt have been to far off reality.

The reason for the long list of birthdays yesterday is that they hadnt been done in 5 days and i was trying to get them caught up so that was the reason for the list yesterday. They are normally done one a daily basis, but hadnt been.

Shadragon: those percautions i already take as the number of places that have critical infromation is few, plus all of my pins and PW arent related to my name, SSN, or DL # i choose a alpha numeric password and then i translated to a foriegn language and mispelled.

heres a example (and not a one i use at all) example is Red October then i translate to russian and misspell it red octobra and then i alpha numeric it r8d 0ctobra. then at minimum they are 10 character. i have had my passwords run through brute force crackers and havent had one cracked yet.

Tooth

Edited by Scubatooth, 14 February 2007 - 12:50 PM.

A Novus Dies Has Adveho.... Occupo Dies

Where in the World is Tooth? ... Catch Me It You Can!

Traveling the World, Diving, and Photography, on my days off from saving lives as a Paramedic

#14 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 14 February 2007 - 12:48 PM

If ANY of you have the audacity to wish me a "Happy" Birthday when I turn 60 later this year, I'll cut your damned regulator hoses! Just send gifts (dive related of course, mermaids accepted).

Edited by drbill, 14 February 2007 - 12:48 PM.

#15 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts
  • Board Status:thinkin' about diving
  • Cert Level:DM; TDI Adv Nitrox and Deco Procedures
  • Logged Dives:1200 ish

Posted 14 February 2007 - 12:53 PM

If ANY of you have the audacity to wish me a "Happy" Birthday when I turn 60 later this year, I'll cut your damned regulator hoses! Just send gifts (dive related of course, mermaids accepted).

You're turning 60!!!

I thought you were in your 30's, that's why I've never hit on you :banghead:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users