• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Ice Diving

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Penguin

Penguin

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Scuba Diver Trainer
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 07 March 2007 - 07:53 AM

Attached is a link to an article that ran yesterday in the Boston Globe. If you're already opposed to diving beneath the ice this probably won't sway you, but for us northern addicts, this is our winter life around home between warm water trips!

Ice diving is :diver: very different and very cool :cool1: no pun intended.

http://www.boston.co..._in_ice_diving/

Edited by Penguin, 07 March 2007 - 05:37 PM.

#2 pir8

pir8

Dive Pros Forum Admin

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,670 posts
  • Cert Level:MI
  • Logged Dives:Lost Track of um

Posted 07 March 2007 - 03:46 PM

Yes it is very cool, I just took the class a couple of weekends ago. Trying to put a small excursion togeather for this weekend in Pa.
Never say Never! Its almost as long a time as always!

#3 madlobster

madlobster

• PipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts
  • Cert Level:rescue diver

Posted 07 March 2007 - 07:23 PM

I too read this an I hope to do this for next year along with a buddy or two :welcome:
"The thing about dreams is sometimes you get to live'em out"- Payne Stewart

#4 ddierolf

ddierolf

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts
  • Cert Level:Padi Divemaster
  • Logged Dives:300+

Posted 07 March 2007 - 07:31 PM

Dressed in black rubber suits, 11 men and one woman stood on 7 inches of ice. :welcome: Oh boy, it sounds like a party for someone!!!! The only ice I am diving into anytime soon will be the one in my drink! CHEERS!!!!! :cool1: Only kidding, around here your limited on the ammount of diving you can do unless your willing to dive out of the ordinary!

Edited by ddierolf, 07 March 2007 - 07:32 PM.

Which end is up?

#5 blacklatexozdiver

blacklatexozdiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts
  • Board Status:-
  • Cert Level:OW, Drysuit, Underwater Naturalist
  • Logged Dives:16 (pretty hard to dive where there's no water...)

Posted 08 March 2007 - 06:37 AM

Ice diving is something I'd like to do once in my life.
"Gravitation cannot be held responsible for people falling in love." Albert Einstein

SD's Aussie Connection.

#6 Brinybay

Brinybay

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:580

Posted 08 March 2007 - 06:48 AM

I got as far as the part about having to sit through a 4 hour lecture. I couldn't do it.
"The cure for anything is saltwater--sweat, tears, or the sea." - Isak Dinesen

"A good marriage is like an interlocking neurosis, where the rocks in one person's head fill up the holes in the other's."

#7 shadragon

shadragon

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD / DM / Solo
  • Logged Dives:534' ish

Posted 08 March 2007 - 08:27 AM

Ice Diving is surreal. The bubbles look like liquid mercury on the underside of the ice sheet and when directly under them you can see your reflection like a mirror. The sunshine coming down through the entry hole cannot be described adequately.

When we did our course we took snow shovels and made lines with arrows pointing in the direction of the entrance hole going out in several directions like wheel spokes. You would not think they would be visible, but underneath they stand out even in an overcast sky.

It is cold and has inherit dangers, but I would recommend anyone take this course.
Remember, email is an inefficient communications forum. You may not read things the way it was intended. Give people the benefit of the doubt before firing back... Especially if it is ME...! ;)

Tech Support - The hard we do right away; the impossible takes us a little longer...

"I like ponies on no-stop diving. They convert "ARGH!! I'M GOING TO DIE" into a mere annoyance." ~Nigel Hewitt

#8 madlobster

madlobster

• PipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts
  • Cert Level:rescue diver

Posted 08 March 2007 - 06:38 PM

Ice Diving is surreal. The bubbles look like liquid mercury on the underside of the ice sheet and when directly under them you can see your reflection like a mirror. The sunshine coming down through the entry hole cannot be described adequately.

When we did our course we took snow shovels and made lines with arrows pointing in the direction of the entrance hole going out in several directions like wheel spokes. You would not think they would be visible, but underneath they stand out even in an overcast sky.

It is cold and has inherit dangers, but I would recommend anyone take this course.

The arrows are a great idea :o ,I'll have to remeber that one!
"The thing about dreams is sometimes you get to live'em out"- Payne Stewart

#9 jextract

jextract

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor, Divemaster, Nitrox, Rescue, Wreck, ...
  • Logged Dives:120ish

Posted 08 March 2007 - 06:57 PM

If you aren't familiar with him, you guys should check out the photography of Norbert Wu:
http://scilib.ucsd.e...lery/index.html
"Because I accept the definition, does not mean I accept the defined." -- ScubaHawk
"Love is blind but lust likes lacy panties" -- SanDiegoCarol
"If you're gonna be dumb, you'd better be tough." -- Phillip Manor
"If I know the answer I'll tell you the answer, and if I don't I'll just respond cleverly." -- Donald Rumsfeld

#10 Penguin

Penguin

• PipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 07:18 PM

See edited ;post below!

Edited by Penguin, 08 March 2007 - 07:23 PM.

#11 Penguin

Penguin

• PipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 07:21 PM

Sha
Spoken like a true ice diver!! I am so fascinated by the appearance of air build-up beneath the ice and I described it EXACTLY as you did. OK, I am REALLY easily entertained, perhaps the llong-term effects of plunging my semi-adequate coconut into cold water beneath ice. I actually think that if ice diving is done properly, it is equally safe to recreational diving---the buddy team is tethered together, limited in distance it can swim from the entry/exit point, CONSTANTLY communicating with the surface through coded line tugs and fully supported by the surface team with ready-for-entry rescue divers. The chance of buddy seperation is nearly non-existant and if the rule of thirds is applied to the air supply and each diver carries a pony, OOA situations are almost impossible. :o

I haven't done the full certification because I was in the Keys when my LDS did the course but I have participated in ice "experiences" with certified instructors. I have been in contact this week with a shop in the northeast who will be doing a certification course in January and will post the date information in a new thread when I get firm dates from them for anyone who would like to participate. :angel2:

#12 shadragon

shadragon

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD / DM / Solo
  • Logged Dives:534' ish

Posted 09 March 2007 - 06:21 AM

I actually think that if ice diving is done properly, it is equally safe to recreational diving---the buddy team is tethered together, limited in distance it can swim from the entry/exit point, CONSTANTLY communicating with the surface through coded line tugs and fully supported by the surface team with ready-for-entry rescue divers. The chance of buddy seperation is nearly non-existant and if the rule of thirds is applied to the air supply and each diver carries a pony, OOA situations are almost impossible.

Agreed. Don't forget the redundant Pony bottles as well. The techniques and layers of safety present during a responsible ice dive are excellent. They are certainly the most comprehensive preparations I have seen on any course to date. We dove in a quarry where max depth was 28 feet so even on an AL80 you had tons of air. You got cold long before running out of air. Our tether was 120' long with another 20 feet for the lead buddy so you were limited to a very small area and could explore everything in a very short period of time.

I did two dives of about 15 minutes each on a single steel 120. Staring pressure was around 2700. I came up with 1700 pounds left.
Remember, email is an inefficient communications forum. You may not read things the way it was intended. Give people the benefit of the doubt before firing back... Especially if it is ME...! ;)

Tech Support - The hard we do right away; the impossible takes us a little longer...

"I like ponies on no-stop diving. They convert "ARGH!! I'M GOING TO DIE" into a mere annoyance." ~Nigel Hewitt

#13 cancunbiologist

cancunbiologist

Getting started

• Pip
  • 29 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver

Posted 18 December 2007 - 06:31 PM

it looks so awesome! I have been dreaming of doing that forever... but moving between australia, south florida and cancun makes it a bit difficult to find good ice (other than in the margaritas :lmao: ).. hopefully when I move out to Canada next year I'll be able to hook that up.

#14 diverdeb

diverdeb

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,650 posts
  • Cert Level:Technical Foundations Instructor, DCSI
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 18 December 2007 - 08:24 PM

If you aren't familiar with him, you guys should check out the photography of Norbert Wu:
http://scilib.ucsd.e...lery/index.html

Wow. Great website. The photos are amazing. Thanks for sharing!
As for me, I'm feeling pretty scubalicious. 

#15 jeff

jeff

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Cert Level:ow plus
  • Logged Dives:120

Posted 18 December 2007 - 08:59 PM

we got to do some "reverse" ice diving this last winter. There was ice at the end of a high mountain lake and we pushed our heads through the 6" of slushy ice
jeff aka nice-diver

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users