• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Me vs. the Munchies

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#16 zendiver

zendiver

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,082 posts
  • Cert Level:AI
  • Logged Dives:1011

Posted 29 June 2004 - 12:50 PM

WOAH, congrats to you both for excellent progress. Please, keep us posted on your progress and if either of you need anything or just want a cheering squad, please let us know.

Again, congrats and :)

-ZD
[color=blue]Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body;
But rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--"WOW--What a ride!"

#17 Diverlady

Diverlady

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW w/ specialties & drysuit user
  • Logged Dives:175 - as of Sep 18, 2004

Posted 29 June 2004 - 12:53 PM

:)

Good for you!!

If you need any moral support, just let us know!!

Diverlady
FAILURE IS NOT AN OPTION!! It comes bundled with the software.

What do you mean "it doesn't come in PINK"?!?!

#18 Laura

Laura

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts
  • Board Status:Not on vacation (damn!)
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:You mean I have to log them, too?

Posted 29 June 2004 - 01:05 PM

Thanks, I'm getting some great advise here. A few questions/comments:

Wreck Wench:

1) How much time should I allow between eating a meal and drinking water?
2) What are your feelings on "food combining"?
3) How many servings of fruit would you recommend, as to provide adequate energy, but not cause a high glycemic response and/or weight gain

Zen Diver:
1) Do you recommend that I use creatine supplementation? I've always been advised to avoid creatine since I'm trying to lose weight. (althought I know muscle weighs more than fat) What's your take on this?
3) A few years ago I dropped some weight, and most of it was fat loss, but I did lose a few pounds of muscle along with it. A trainer told me this was normal, that my body no longer needed as much muscle since there was less weight to carry around. Do you agree?
4) Right now I use whey protein, glutamine, and Solgar multi-vitamins. Any other suggestions?
5) Cheat days? Good or bad? Some people say it keeps your metabolism from slowing down, others say you are just slowing your progress. What do you think?

Canuck Diver:
1) I eat a similar diet, low carb but not no carb. If I do eat carbs, I try to make it earlier in the day and/or on the days I workout. The only way I can ever lose is to cut out breads, rice, pasta, etc.
2) CONGRATULATIONS on losing 70 pounds. GREAT JOB!

Laura
WWZD - What Would ZENA Do ??

#19 zendiver

zendiver

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,082 posts

Posted 29 June 2004 - 01:39 PM

Thanks, I'm getting some great advise here. A few questions/comments:

Wreck Wench:

1) How much time should I allow between eating a meal and drinking water?
2) What are your feelings on "food combining"?
3) How many servings of fruit would you recommend, as to provide adequate energy, but not cause a high glycemic response and/or weight gain

Zen Diver:
1) Do you recommend that I use creatine supplementation? I've always been advised to avoid creatine since I'm trying to lose weight. (althought I know muscle weighs more than fat) What's your take on this?
3) A few years ago I dropped some weight, and most of it was fat loss, but I did lose a few pounds of muscle along with it. A trainer told me this was normal, that my body no longer needed as much muscle since there was less weight to carry around. Do you agree?
4) Right now I use whey protein, glutamine, and Solgar multi-vitamins.  Any other suggestions?
5) Cheat days? Good or bad? Some people say it keeps your metabolism from slowing down, others say you are just slowing your progress.  What do you think?

Canuck Diver:
1) I eat a similar diet, low carb but not no carb. If I do eat carbs, I try to make it earlier in the day and/or on the days I workout. The only way I can ever lose is to cut of breads, rice, pasta, etc.
2) CONGRATULATIONS on losing 70 pounds. GREAT JOB!

Laura

Laura,

I will answer most of these for you and I am sure WW will chime in also.

Answers to WW questions!
1) This question is strange to me, but WW has provided info to me that you shouldn't drink anything while eating. I do as it washes things down a lot better, especially as much and often as I eat. I drink water ALL day long. For the most part, I drink anywhere from 3 to 4 gallons of water a day.
2) I have heard pros and cons of this and it really depends on where you are with your goals and accomplishments. I weigh out all of my food and in combination of 60/30/10 being protein/carbs/fats.
3) Your fruits are natural and should be eating fruits for most of your carbs. I highly doubt that you will eat enough fruit in one setting or day to worry about high glycemic and/or weight gain.

Answers to my questions:
1) Creatine will help your muscles recoup faster causing less fatigure therefore your weight loss will be slower due to NOT losing muscle, BUT losing BF and that is what we all want to achieve. I do cycles of creatine and I am a FIRM believer in it. I recover faster, have less muscle fatigue, and seem to get stronger due to the before mentioned. Follow the instructions on the lable and you will be ok. Another hype that everyone holds too close is weight. DON'T weigh yourself often as it will depress you. The mirror should be your weight scale. Water retention is so sparatic that it tends to depress people. As you are building muscle and losing BF, they will eventually meet and then go the other way.
2) The more muscle you have, the more you have to feed it, the higher your metabolizm is therefore burning more BF. I disagree that you DON'T need that muscle. Muscle and less BF makes for a healthier looking body.
3) What is your split on your food groups? I take the following:
Juice Plus -- thanks to WW
Amino2200's
Multi-Vitamins
Flaxseed
Fish Oil
Vitamin B6, B12, E -- all just before my workouts
Utrition Multi-Vitamin -- liquid form
Utrition Liquid Joint Repair
L-Glutamine, Creatine, MSN, and lots of nuts (ie...walnuts, almonds, pecans)
4) This various to each individual...I DON'T cheat when I have a goal and am dieting. It is a set back IF you are strong enough to work through it. People do cheat days for satisfaction and most need them to help keep them on track. It is up to you. If you are strong willed, then NO CHEAT DAYS!

Hope this helps.
-ZD
[color=blue]Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body;
But rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--"WOW--What a ride!"

#20 Laura

Laura

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 29 June 2004 - 02:02 PM

Thanks ZD, excellent info.

Also thanks to you and Diver Lady for the encouragement! I'm feeling the love here!!! :cool1:

#21 canuckdiver

canuckdiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts
  • Cert Level:Decompression procedures
  • Logged Dives:>120

Posted 29 June 2004 - 02:20 PM

Thanks guys.

Great info, and I will be taking quite a bit of it to heart! (I know what it has done for zen!!!!!)

And a big thanks for the encouragement, but still a long way to go...
"what works, works" - shek exley

"the WW Approved 'Unofficial' guardian angel"

#22 jextract

jextract

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor, Divemaster, Nitrox, Rescue, Wreck, ...
  • Logged Dives:120ish

Posted 29 June 2004 - 04:11 PM

Only one other thing I would add to what ZD posted. If you are taking creatine you MUST drink a lot of water or you can experience muscle cramping. I take creatine in conjunction with HMB.

Supplements that I take that might also work for you are CLA (with each meal) and ZMA (at night) and both seem to help me with my soreness after both lifting and cardio workouts.

I don't weigh my food like ZD does but his percentages seem in the neighborhood of what I shoot for. Of course, that's why he looks like he does!!

Congrats on your progress so far and good luck with your continued success!

Edited by jextract, 29 June 2004 - 04:12 PM.

"Because I accept the definition, does not mean I accept the defined." -- ScubaHawk
"Love is blind but lust likes lacy panties" -- SanDiegoCarol
"If you're gonna be dumb, you'd better be tough." -- Phillip Manor
"If I know the answer I'll tell you the answer, and if I don't I'll just respond cleverly." -- Donald Rumsfeld

#23 nextariel

nextariel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,531 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:350+

Posted 29 June 2004 - 04:54 PM

One thing that hasn't been mentioned: don't eat two hours before you go to sleep. Advise from Oprah's trainer.
Laugh at yourself first, before anyone else can. --Elsa Maxwell, September 28, 1958

#24 Laura

Laura

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 30 June 2004 - 07:31 AM

Only one other thing I would add to what ZD posted. If you are taking creatine you MUST drink a lot of water or you can experience muscle cramping. I take creatine in conjunction with HMB.

Supplements that I take that might also work for you are CLA (with each meal) and ZMA (at night) and both seem to help me with my soreness after both lifting and cardio workouts.

I don't weigh my food like ZD does but his percentages seem in the neighborhood of what I shoot for. Of course, that's why he looks like he does!!

Congrats on your progress so far and good luck with your continued success!

Thanks Jex. :lol:

Not to burst your bubble, but I just read an article about HMB saying that it wasn't effective, as the advertising would lead you to believe. I'll see if I can get you the name of the publication. It was in a magazine published my Shawn Phillips (Bill's brother) who is no longer affiliated with EAS and has formed his own supplement company. So, not sure who to believe on that one! But thought you should know.

I'll have to give CLA and ZMA a try. I've heard ZMA also help as a sleep aid. What's your opinion on that?

PS You look great in the new non-DIR shirt :welcome:

Laura

#25 Laura

Laura

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 30 June 2004 - 07:33 AM

One thing that hasn't been mentioned: don't eat two hours before you go to sleep. Advise from Oprah's trainer.

Thanks Ariel!

Good advise. I do follow that one.

BTW, Oprah is my hero! She as come so far from so little, and I love her message of staying positive, her attitude of gratitude, and her classy, yet still down to earth style. OPRAH ROCKS! :welcome:

#26 zendiver

zendiver

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,082 posts

Posted 30 June 2004 - 07:42 AM

Nextariel,

I am sorry about this, but I beg to differ, BUT it depends on your goal. I eat one of my BIGGEST meals JUST before I go to bed and if I wake up in the middle of the night, which I normally do, then I eat again. It really all depends on your metabolizm. Most of your growing is done at night while you sleep. If you eat sensibly at night, you will have a good effect on your bodies metabolizm therefore you can and will lose weight as well. You have to feed the body to grow AND to lose weight as well.

-ZD

#27 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,490 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 30 June 2004 - 07:48 AM

I've heard ZMA also help as a sleep aid. What's your opinion on that?

Laura food is the world's most powerful NEW medicine. The addition of certain foods back into your diet will accomplish most if not all of what you desire...to sleep better...lose weight...etc. Let me know if you'd like to know what food you could put into your diet and sleep better?

Supplements do what?? They supplement what you do not get from FOOD. If you eat a good balanced but varied diet then you rarely need to supplement. Isolated or fractionated supplements should be treated as medicine. You take them for awhile until a condition is improved and then you stop taking them. They are not designed to be an ongoing addition to your diet unless you are a professional athlete etc. or are under a doctor's care and are following specific advice.

There are however a few 'supplements' that are whole food and therefore can be used continuously and for many of us would be a good addition to our diets. ZD uses one of them himself for balanced health that of course contributes to his training regime so that he looks as great on the inside as he does on the outside!!! :lol:

P.S. And may I add my congrats too!! You guys should be VERY proud of yourselves for doing what many can or will not do!! KUDOS!!! :welcome:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#28 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,490 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 30 June 2004 - 07:54 AM

Nextariel,

I am sorry about this, but I beg to differ, BUT it depends on your goal. I eat one of my BIGGEST meals JUST before I go to bed and if I wake up in the middle of the night, which I normally do, then I eat again. It really all depends on your metabolizm. Most of your growing is done at night while you sleep. If you eat sensibly at night, you will have a good effect on your bodies metabolizm therefore you can and will lose weight as well. You have to feed the body to grow AND to lose weight as well.

-ZD

ZD...I think her comment was related to LOSING weight.

For most of us who are not as active as you...burning 10,000 calories DAILY and therefore needing to eat 10,000+ calories daily, eating late at night is not that advantageous. There is one notable exception. Certain foods taken within an hour or two of going to bed will help you sleep better as well as help the body heal while you sleep...or in your case ZD...heal and then GROW!!! LOL!! :welcome:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#29 canuckdiver

canuckdiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts
  • Cert Level:Decompression procedures
  • Logged Dives:>120

Posted 30 June 2004 - 07:57 AM

Laura food is the world's most powerful NEW medicine. The addition of certain foods back into your diet will accomplish most if not all of what you desire...to sleep better...lose weight...etc. Let me know if you'd like to know what food you could put into your diet and sleep better?

K, I'd be real interested in this, as I am also a chronic insomniac.

ANY info would be appreciated!!
"what works, works" - shek exley

"the WW Approved 'Unofficial' guardian angel"

#30 Laura

Laura

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 30 June 2004 - 10:06 AM

[quote name='WreckWench' date='Jun 30 2004, 07:48 AM']

[QUOTE]
[QUOTE]

[/quote]
WW,

YES, by all means I am interested in your advise. So please, bring it on :wakawaka:

My goals are to lose weight (fat), maintain my existing muscle and/or gain small to moderate amounts, sleep better and have more energy during the day. I hit the ground running in the a.m. but feel drained by the time I get home from work.

THANKS SO MUCH

:thankyou:

Laura

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users