• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Me vs. the Munchies

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#31 jextract

jextract

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor, Divemaster, Nitrox, Rescue, Wreck, ...
  • Logged Dives:120ish

Posted 30 June 2004 - 10:14 AM

I literally hit the groud running in the a.m. as I do my cardio right after I wake up. I lift weights at lunch, which really breaks up my day nicely into two distinct parts. I've blocked off the time from 12-1:30 every day in my Outlook calendar so that no one can schedule a meeting for me during that time.

Must cop to a "cheat day" yesterday, though ... was absolutely craving In 'n Out (those of you in the western U.S. should know about that burger chain) last night so I stopped for a 3x3 on the way home from my errands. The way I feel this morning it'll be a long time before I give in to that craving again!
"Because I accept the definition, does not mean I accept the defined." -- ScubaHawk
"Love is blind but lust likes lacy panties" -- SanDiegoCarol
"If you're gonna be dumb, you'd better be tough." -- Phillip Manor
"If I know the answer I'll tell you the answer, and if I don't I'll just respond cleverly." -- Donald Rumsfeld

#32 Laura

Laura

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts
  • Board Status:Not on vacation (damn!)
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:You mean I have to log them, too?

Posted 30 June 2004 - 10:29 AM

Your self-discipline is evident! Working out first thing requires willpower.

One burger won't kill you...try ginger tea to reduce that full, queasy feeling. Will help you digest, too.

Laura
WWZD - What Would ZENA Do ??

#33 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,487 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 30 June 2004 - 11:36 AM

Laura and CD...I am more then happy to answer your questions! Got to get some stuff done for our SD trip tomorrow but as soon as I finish that I'll tackle your questions. In the meantime...I'll leave in suspense for just a little longer!!! And yes...I actually have a few clients I have to see for the day job today. (Yes I have one of those!!!)

Kamala
Diving Nutritionist

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#34 Trymixdiver

Trymixdiver

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue, Commercial, IANTD Tech
  • Logged Dives:300

Posted 10 August 2004 - 11:44 PM

just to let you know i got a lot out of this thread also. Due to my back problem and lack of exercise i put on some pounds. Running / jogging is just too hard on my back so i have resorted to changing my food intake. Didnt have a choice really, the intake was ok when i was able to run and walk 18 holes of golf but, that not being an option now i have to be very careful what i eat.

From all the posts i think im on the right track as far as what i am eating and drinking and this has thread has proved to be aditionally motivating. I dont sit behind a desk, if i did i wouldnt have this back issue :taz:. Looks like i need to find some additional activitys that i can do that wont irritate my back, im thinking the recumbent (sp) bike at the gym and some light lifting should fit the bill. My doc says i need to work my abs to help with my back so i guess its crunch time :(. But if this is what i need to get back some of the activities i love, namely diving, then i guess its time to get my A into G so to speak.

very high marks for this helpfull and motivating thread.

Thx all

Andy

Question: Weight myself and get a starting point or just avoid the scale? It can be frustrating to see the scale move down slowlyif at all, is it better to avoid it altogether ?
If i could only dive and golf at the same time.

#35 Laura

Laura

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 11 August 2004 - 08:19 AM

Andy,

Have you tried swimming for cardio? It's usually pretty easy on the back.

If you can handle weight training, I would suggest doing it, but start slowly, use good form, perhaps get a personal trainer to help you until you get stronger.

I had to work my way back after a back injury, and having a trainer helped a lot.

GOOD LUCK!
Laura

#36 Sylvia

Sylvia

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:2

Posted 11 August 2004 - 12:31 PM

Citrimax is ok as a suppresant but agree with Kamala and Zen that you should eat when hungry and with Doc as drinking water does fill you up.

Now what you eat is the key. I stick to proteins and vegetables which have every 3 hours. This along with daily exercise not only has reduced my appetite but has knocked off the pounds too.

#37 Laura

Laura

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 11 August 2004 - 12:35 PM

Thanks for the post!

#38 jextract

jextract

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 11 August 2004 - 03:14 PM

Again, I can't stress the value of exercising with a heart rate monitor. The one I have used for a while now is the Sports Instruments ECG-5 and I really like it. It is waterproof (although the manufacturer does list some cautions re: the chest strap but I've never had a problem) so you can swim with it if that's your gig. It will track calories burned during your workout as well as time spent above and below a training zone you can set. It comes with a cool handlebar mount that I use when I'm biking.

You can read more about it here:
http://www.sportsins...rt/ECG5_eng.pdf

You can order it online at a huge discount from Supergo here: http://www.supergo.c...7604&referpage=

I've used other brands in the past with mixed success. I think the Polar ones work well but are overpriced and I've had interference issues at the gym when I work out with others who use the same brand. I used (and unfortunately still own) one from Mio that is an expensive piece of crap. I bought it because of the supposed benefit of no chest strap but found that it is very difficult to get a reading.
"Because I accept the definition, does not mean I accept the defined." -- ScubaHawk
"If I know the answer I'll tell you the answer, and if I don't I'll just respond cleverly." -- Donald Rumsfeld

#39 Trymixdiver

Trymixdiver

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue, Commercial, IANTD Tech
  • Logged Dives:300

Posted 13 August 2004 - 08:50 PM

Laura

i have not tried swimming for cardio. im going to try the bike at the gym again, its close. Only problem is its very boring and it kills my butt after 30 min. But its my best option for now, hell i will use my Ipod so i dont have to listen to that crap they play at the gym. Another anoying thing about the gym is the soaps they have on when i go, Passions is about the dumbest thing on the planet. Id rather use a cheese gratter on my eyeballs than whatch that crap.

Andy

If you want to buy me a house down Huntington Beach i would swim everyday :diver: I dont see this option happening though.
If i could only dive and golf at the same time.

#40 jextract

jextract

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 16 August 2004 - 11:39 AM

Lotsa great biking down in the O.C. - both road and mountain!

#41 chinacat46

chinacat46

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,147 posts
  • Cert Level:OWSI
  • Logged Dives:1527(8 in fresh water)

Posted 16 August 2004 - 12:10 PM

Hey Jex thanx for the tip on the heart rate monitor. I've been looking at Polar but the one you recommend seems like a better deal.

#42 jextract

jextract

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 16 August 2004 - 02:26 PM

Glad to be of service! Just got done using it at the gym at lunch, btw.

#43 Laura

Laura

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 17 August 2004 - 06:51 AM

If you want to buy me a house down Huntington Beach i would swim everyday :teeth: I dont see this option happening though.

Uh...don't hold your breath on that one Andy! :teeth:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users