• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Sharkwater

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 annasea

annasea

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 06:06 PM

Well, I saw the documentary, Sharkwater, today. For more information, click here.

I'm not really into sharks so I didn't know too much about them to begin with, but I was amazed to learn just how important they are to the environment -- both marine and land. Go see this film!

#2 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 24 March 2007 - 01:28 PM

Thank you for the link! I'll look forward to seeing it when it gets to a theater near me. According to their site, currently there are several showings in large Canadian cities, London, Dallas, and New York City.
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#3 Cold_H2O

Cold_H2O

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,498 posts
  • Logged Dives:lost count but back to keeping a log.

Posted 24 March 2007 - 02:27 PM

Looks facinating. I wonder when it will make its way to Seattle theaters.

It might be worth a drive to Vancouver.
Well Behave Women Rarely Make History ~ Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Formerly known as gis_gal and name tattoo'd for a small bribe!

#4 6Gill

6Gill

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 28 March 2007 - 02:10 AM

Just saw it...WOW
Some of us that saw it tonight will be going again cause not everyone in the group saw it.

#5 Cold_H2O

Cold_H2O

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,498 posts
  • Logged Dives:lost count but back to keeping a log.

Posted 28 March 2007 - 07:19 AM

DG ~ Wanna drive to Vancouver and see it with me??
You drive to me and I will drive to Vancouver.
Well Behave Women Rarely Make History ~ Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Formerly known as gis_gal and name tattoo'd for a small bribe!

#6 cmt489

cmt489

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,346 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:75+

Posted 28 March 2007 - 08:56 AM

Hmmm, if you come on up I might know one or two other SD members that might join you and give you a place to stay... :evilgrin:

#7 fala

fala

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 06:29 PM

I see there is a screening in nyc on April 14 which the ticket also includes an after-party as well. Think I will check this one out...

#8 sudsymark

sudsymark

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,062 posts
  • Cert Level:Certified as teenager, SSI DiveCon and Scuba Ranger Instructor
  • Logged Dives:130

Posted 29 March 2007 - 09:03 AM

It does look interesting and cant wait for it to open in more theaters. It might almost be worth a trip to Dallas to see.
In the end we will conserve only what we love; we will love only what we underdstand; and we will only understand what we are taught. -Baba Dioum

#9 secretsea18

secretsea18

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:1062

Posted 29 March 2007 - 09:43 AM

I see there is a screening in nyc on April 14 which the ticket also includes an after-party as well. Think I will check this one out...

Hey Fala,

That theater is down the street from my apartment, just one block...

Perhaps this might be considered for an additional happy hour for Tri-state...

$30 for movie and after party.

#10 fala

fala

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 12:54 PM

Hey Fala,

I didn't know you lived in nyc, good to know you're a fellow manhattanite. I really want to see this one and would be interested in knowing if any staff/crew from the movie will be at the after party...

#11 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 29 March 2007 - 01:13 PM

There has been a growing realization among scientists that some of the serious crises in ecosystems such as those on coral reefs (including the proliferation of algae) are due in part to the removal of these apex predators from the system. It always astounds me how few sharks I see when diving some places in the world. Even here, blue sharks used to be a daily site both topside and underwater. Now the only way I can see one is by chumming for a day to draw the few remaining open water ones to the boat. Not a good thing to do.

Edited by drbill, 29 March 2007 - 01:14 PM.

#12 secretsea18

secretsea18

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:1062

Posted 29 March 2007 - 01:33 PM

Hey Fala,

I didn't know you lived in nyc, good to know you're a fellow manhattanite. I really want to see this one and would be interested in knowing if any staff/crew from the movie will be at the after party...

Well, yes, I do live in Chelsea...
I am seriously thinking of going, too. I have no idea what the "after party" is about, but it does look like an interesting film... Let me know if you wanna go, as I probably would like to go, too.

#13 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 29 March 2007 - 05:08 PM

Thanks for posting this, Caetllonn. I hope it will come out on DVD because, unfortortunately, I doubt it will hit our theater here on the island. They banned weighing in great white shorts here shortly after Jaws came out. The Chamber of Commerce wasn't happy when I published a front page story about harmless soupfin sharks in our local paper (they even stifled any revelation of the four idiots who were bitten and sent to the E.R. here after trying to grab these sharks that weekend).

By the way, it has been downloading on my wireless connected system for some time now. Too slow for me to wait and watch it. Anyone else have that problem?

Edited by drbill, 29 March 2007 - 05:10 PM.

#14 pir8

pir8

Dive Pros Forum Admin

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,670 posts
  • Cert Level:MI
  • Logged Dives:Lost Track of um

Posted 29 March 2007 - 05:22 PM

Thanks for posting this, Caetllonn. I hope it will come out on DVD because, unfortortunately, I doubt it will hit our theater here on the island. They banned weighing in great white shorts here shortly after Jaws came out. The Chamber of Commerce wasn't happy when I published a front page story about harmless soupfin sharks in our local paper (they even stifled any revelation of the four idiots who were bitten and sent to the E.R. here after trying to grab these sharks that weekend).

By the way, it has been downloading on my wireless connected system for some time now. Too slow for me to wait and watch it. Anyone else have that problem?

Yep I have the same problem.
Never say Never! Its almost as long a time as always!

#15 shadragon

shadragon

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD / DM / Solo
  • Logged Dives:534' ish

Posted 10 May 2008 - 07:46 PM

Well I had to go out and buy the DVD as the film never came to a local theatre.

Decent film which shows the tragedy of over fishing for no good reason. Recommended viewing.
Remember, email is an inefficient communications forum. You may not read things the way it was intended. Give people the benefit of the doubt before firing back... Especially if it is ME...! ;)

Tech Support - The hard we do right away; the impossible takes us a little longer...

"I like ponies on no-stop diving. They convert "ARGH!! I'M GOING TO DIE" into a mere annoyance." ~Nigel Hewitt

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users