• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Singledivers.com at Beneath the Sea Report!!!

• Please log in to reply
132 replies to this topic

#1 secretsea18

secretsea18

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:1062

Posted 25 March 2007 - 08:36 PM

Hi All Singledivers,

Well Beneath the Sea is finally over.
What a weekend.... I just got home from the show....
and after a final dinner with my fellow SDers..... :P
And some interesting events have taken place this weekend at BTS.... :twist:

After careful tabulation and accounting and verification by the Accounting Agency of WW and FG. the following records occured this weekend:

1. BTS now holds the record for the Most SD Attendees :diver: and the Most SD Volunteers :birthday:

2. A record number of interested divers were registered at the SD booth :twist:
(as you all know, that means lots of babelicious ladies and hunky guys :dance: .... opps did I type that? ;) oh yeah... this is not a dating site..... how does it go?... the only hookups are to tanks.... blah, blah blah.

OK back to the show and the real events that happened at BTS:
AS this was my first time attending the Beneath the Sea show a number of things, people and occurences really will stick in my memory.

There were soooo many booths with all sorts of gear, but with a tendency towards tech oriented gear.
Wow, it seemed like you could travel the world without even leaving lane 700 at the show, with live music, dancing and singing from such diverse places like Cayman Islands, Solomon Islands, Indonesia, Bahamas and everywhere in between. Even liveaboard options here in the Northeast US and the St. Lawrence river in Canada!...... Where is that drysuit????? :twist:

Then there were some things I will never forget .....

--Like that scary cowboy fellow ... the one with the tiiiightest clothes and all the jewelry :twist: :-D (I am really happy to not have seen him sign up at the SD booth.... but it was still BURNED onto my retinas forever.... :-D)

--the SD members who "went to all extremes" to sign up the record numbers of new recruits ! :dance:
especially Pocahontas who went all out for us ladies .... superb at signing up new MEN-bers for SD!!! :birthday:

-- the ladies who had PINK or BLUE hair, when out in public, in bars and restaurants.... New fashion statements ??

-- swingling ???? What was that again Tolly???

-- traffic jams in the EXPO aisles ...

-- getting to meet some really great new friends..... :birthday:

And then there were the mermaids ..... :twist:

I challenge anyone to guess what happened ... or rather WHO happened with the mermaids ???? :twist:

OK, the rules are:
1. ANYONE at BTS is disqualified from guessing.
2. Any and all hints may only be provided via this thread!!!!

Thanks to all at BTS, it was such fun! :P

#2 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts
  • Board Status:Omnes Qui Errant Non Pereunt!
  • Cert Level:Rec: DM -- Tec: Ext Range
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 25 March 2007 - 08:51 PM

Mermaids huh man sounds like i missed a good one. oh please do tell more, scratch that how about the pics as undenieable proof.

what where some of the new gear shown at the show? well it looks like i will need to attend next year.

Tooth

mermaids now that would be a good photo shoot idea - any volunteers that have costumes to match up for the task??

Edited by Scubatooth, 25 March 2007 - 08:54 PM.

A Novus Dies Has Adveho.... Occupo Dies

Where in the World is Tooth? ... Catch Me It You Can!

Traveling the World, Diving, and Photography, on my days off from saving lives as a Paramedic

#3 nydiver

nydiver

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:~200

Posted 25 March 2007 - 09:15 PM

what where some of the new gear shown at the show? well it looks like i will need to attend next year.

New gear... hmm I didn't notice much out of the ordinary, but a few that I saw were:

Dive rites next tech computer, very nice, large display, has the requisite o2 port for the CCR people, 10 gases, aims to compete with the Explorer and V3, under 1100 without the o2 port ~1400 with and a sensor.

Zeagle had their new octo z, this replaces the apeks octo+ (parts for the apeks items come from Aqualung and are now more expensive than buying thru a aqualung dealer, hence zeagle had to end their apeks dependance) the octo z has a 3/4 hose connection for the bc hose, you remove the 2nd/inflator with the reg set (very odd) this eliminates getting sand and junk into the quick connect port which leads to the inflator failing due to corrosion or gunk. After the inflator is removed one can attach a garden hose to the corrugated hose (thru the 3/4 hose connector) and flush the hell outta the bc, this will make flushing a bc cake!!! (We liked it so much we ordered 12 Friday, by days end Saturday we had 10 sold sight unseen)

Zeagle also was displaying the next generation scout, an ultra light travel BC, very nice.

LOTS of CCR people, I would say at least 10 different vendors for the dark side, including the Dive Rite, the proto OMS, Steam Machines, KISS, Megaladon, Golem Gear, So many for those who were into the rebreathers (not me yet so I noticed them but didn't slow down)

Sartek had several great lights on display, being local it was nice to see all their great products, I even arranged to get a few for test diving before I make a final purchase. Their 21/13W HID with video reflector is really interesting, can't wait to use it.

The new Amphibian fin was on display and they had people wandering with them on, this was a really cool idea, and so simple to manipulate, another one that our shop is going to be testing before carrying, but this was very promising, very strong latch. (for those who don't know this the fin that folds up so one can climb a boat ladder with the fins still on)

More if I can think of more, but people just don't know what they missed, BTS was great this year.

#4 Penguin

Penguin

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Scuba Diver Trainer
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 25 March 2007 - 09:27 PM

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. I think I know the answer to this. In fact I know I do, but.....

Tooth---Yes, there are photos and I am quite sure that at least one will end up in this thread in the end.

BTSers---It was great meeting everyone. This weekend was a BLAST!! Special thanks to those who travelled in for the show, for all those who helped and to nydiver for his VERY generous contribution of hotel rooms for all of us out-of-towners.

For anyone interested, the next Eastern Seaboard event is NY/NJ Happy Hour on April 6th and our 1st Philly/South Jersey HH on April 21st. There will be NEW SD members at each!

#5 secretsea18

secretsea18

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 10:03 PM

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. I think I know the answer to this. In fact I know I do, but.....

Tooth---Yes, there are photos and I am quite sure that at least one will end up in this thread in the end.

BTSers---It was great meeting everyone. This weekend was a BLAST!! Special thanks to those who travelled in for the show, for all those who helped and to nydiver for his VERY generous contribution of hotel rooms for all of us out-of-towners.

For anyone interested, the next Eastern Seaboard event is NY/NJ Happy Hour on April 6th and our 1st Philly/South Jersey HH on April 21st. There will be NEW SD members at each!

No hints.... at least yet....

Yes, there photos as mentioned above by Penguin.

#6 pocahontas

pocahontas

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts
  • Logged Dives:165

Posted 25 March 2007 - 10:35 PM

Mermaids huh man sounds like i missed a good one. oh please do tell more, scratch that how about the pics as undenieable proof.

Tooth

mermaids now that would be a good photo shoot idea - any volunteers that have costumes to match up for the task??

I was just plotting how I need to wear a mermaid get-up next year. Just think how funny it will be to watch me hopping around chasing prospective new SD members!
Oh - and one of my side gigs is costume design. So I can whip up a mermaid suit in a heartbeat!
The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

Stopping by Woods - Robert. Frost

#7 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 10:42 PM

Innnnnnnnnnnnnteresting are you volunteering as a model as well?

Man my list of photo shoot ideas is getting extremely long i cant wait till im out of medic school so i can actually shoot them instead of thing of them.

hmm WW speaking of photo shoot ideas is the calendar idea still somewhere on the pile or has it fizzled.

Tooth

Traveling the World, Diving, and Photography, on my days off from saving lives as a Paramedic

#8 BubbleBoy

BubbleBoy

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW + Deep, Wreck, Drysuit, Navigation, Night, Rescue, Nitrox Specialties
  • Logged Dives:300+

Posted 26 March 2007 - 05:19 AM

Sartek had several great lights on display, being local it was nice to see all their great products, I even arranged to get a few for test diving before I make a final purchase. Their 21/13W HID with video reflector is really interesting, can't wait to use it.

I thought some of the LED lights at the show were impressive too. A company called SSP that was sharing a booth with Oxycheq had several can light models that rival any HID bulb I've seen. The battery unit and power coord are permanently sealed so there is no chance for leaks. You recharge the batteries from external connectors. As with most LED demos, I watched as Pat Duffy from Oxycheck banged the light head on a metal table as hard as he could... and it keeps on ticking. I think Oxycheq is going to market these for SSP in the $500-$1000 range.
BB

When you make fish laugh, they can't bite you.

#9 secretsea18

secretsea18

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts

Posted 26 March 2007 - 06:33 AM

And then there were the mermaids ..... :blush:

I challenge anyone to guess what happened ... or rather WHO happened with the mermaids ???? :blush3:

OK, the rules are:
1. ANYONE at BTS is disqualified from guessing.
2. Any and all hints may only be provided via this thread!!!!

Thanks to all at BTS, it was such fun! :P

Hey all.... lets get back on topic here!!!!

Can't believe nobody has even made a guess yet of Who happened with the mermaids?

Let see some guesses!

#10 dustbowl diver

dustbowl diver

"Charlie"

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,028 posts
  • Logged Dives:139

Posted 26 March 2007 - 06:51 AM

Horton happened with the Mermaids!!
"Yesterday's gone, tomorrow never knows, today will never be the same again!"-Jibe

#11 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts

Posted 26 March 2007 - 07:00 AM

with having a rough idea of who was up at BTS i would say that the Moose and a Mermaid happened, but i could be wrong.

#12 Basslet

Basslet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:150

Posted 26 March 2007 - 09:00 AM

Ooops. Didn't see this thread. Already gave away the answer somewhere else. :blush3:

#13 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts

Posted 26 March 2007 - 09:04 AM

ah so the moose is a mermaid hunter and managed to land one of these mythical creatures. now where is the photographic evidence? :blush3:

#14 Guest_PlatypusMan_*

Guest_PlatypusMan_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2007 - 09:28 AM

Ooops. Didn't see this thread. Already gave away the answer somewhere else. :blush3:

My local paper covered Beneath The Sea on Sunday and Single Divers was mentioned because Moose gave them some quotes.

Moose - Is there anything he can't do...!? Posted Image

Yeah, he can't send a photo in a text message. Well, he can, but he sends the same one 3 times. Maybe he'll post the photo I took with my phone of him holding the mermaid he caught.

I would say that this one has blown it's bouyancy for certain now...

Sparky
...Sparky! What are you doing at the computer?! BAD Sparky....

#15 shadragon

shadragon

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD / DM / Solo
  • Logged Dives:534' ish

Posted 26 March 2007 - 09:34 AM

Tooth had the right guess beforehand anyway so it looks like the Dream Dive Trip for two to Fiji is his... Or the bumper sticker, I forget what the prize was. Same deal... :blush:
Remember, email is an inefficient communications forum. You may not read things the way it was intended. Give people the benefit of the doubt before firing back... Especially if it is ME...! ;)

Tech Support - The hard we do right away; the impossible takes us a little longer...

"I like ponies on no-stop diving. They convert "ARGH!! I'M GOING TO DIE" into a mere annoyance." ~Nigel Hewitt

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users