• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

DISCUSSION... The apex of diving...the Galapagos!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
433 replies to this topic

#391 ScubaPunk

ScubaPunk

Houston HH Planner + Angel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,029 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, NITROX
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 17 March 2008 - 08:16 PM

Document Update:

1. Karen aka Scubawishes: Received your Survey! :wakawaka:

#392 Divegirl412

Divegirl412

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 817 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue

Posted 19 March 2008 - 12:00 AM

Document Update:

1. Karen aka Scubawishes: Received your Survey! :-D

Just checking. I know you are still catching up from Utila. But did you get this payment I sent on the 8th??? I hotmailed you the note below

"Hey guys. Just paypalled you $850 March payment, $733 for land tours and D/O hotel room Ria Amazonas and $47.49 3% paypal fee.

Thanks
Rosa"

#393 ScubaPunk

ScubaPunk

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,029 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 01:29 PM

Document Update:

1. Jim aka tgnjim got your EV waiver! :banghead:

2. Margaret aka MMDiver_DC got your SD Waiver and your EV Application! :twist:

#394 ScubaPunk

ScubaPunk

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,029 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 08:38 PM

Payment Update:

1. Rosa aka Divegirl412: Received your paypal payment for $850 March payment, $733 for land tours and D/O hotel room Ria Amazonas and $47.49 3% paypal fee! :welcome: :fish2:

#395 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,588 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 22 March 2008 - 07:55 AM

EXTREMELY IMPORTANT TRIP UPDATE:

Last year the Equadorian Govt took measures to protect their marine park and shut down 16 operating vessals who were taking divers to Darwin and Wolfe and other parts of the Galapagos. Of those 16 operators 4-6 were either regranted their permits or were not impacted by the shut down at all. Our vendor was one that was regranted their permits for both of their boats including the new one we were scheduled on this year. The existing permits expire in June and while it is still possible that EV will get both of their boats permitted by June, it is also likely that the one currently permitted will remain the only permit for 2008. Assuming worst case scenario, EV has begun measures to consolidate the bookings of both boats into one. This was done on an 'oldest booking gets priority' basis and as a result our booking has to be transferred to another date. We are looking at either June or October of next year. We will keep you informed. The members on this are either being rebooked on the few spots available this year or onto other trips. We hope you'll join us next year when we reschedule this trip!

Here is the message from the owner of the Eco Explorer:

11 March 2008
To: 2008 Galapagos guests

As you are all no doubt aware, in June 2007 the Galapagos National Park (GNP) unilaterally and without notice
disallowed diving access to Darwin and Wolf Islands for most of the vessels that had been operating there for years.
Though the restriction was lifted several weeks later for the balance of the 2007 trips, the status of all 2008 Galapagos
dive trips has been in limbo ever since. All of the Ecuadorian companies offering diving excursions in the Galapagos have
been caught in the middle, including our partner, Galasam Internacional, which has been offering naturalist tours within
the Galapagos since the late 1970s and dive trips since the early 1990s.

In December 2007, the GNP announced that only those vessels which were offering dive trips in the mid 1990’s, plus one
newer vessel that had never offered naturalist tours, would be allowed to offer diving itineraries to Darwin and Wolf.
Essentially, this meant that none of the new vessels put into service over the past 10 years would be able to offer these
most sought-after diving itineraries to some of the best diving the world has to offer. We have been awaiting notification in
writing from the GNP regarding which vessels will be authorized to offer diving at Darwin and Wolf Islands in 2008.
We are pleased to announce that Galasam’s 16-passenger vessel Estrella del Mar is one of only approximately 4 vessels
which will be offering diving trips to Darwin and Wolf Islands in 2008. Though Galasam is trying to get Estrella del Mar’s
permit transferred to the new vessel, the Galapagos Eco Explorer I, we do not know at this point whether it will be
possible, or what the time frame to confirm the transfer might be. We can, however, now say with certainty that you will
be visiting Darwin and Wolf this summer with us!

Though Estrella del Mar is a well-appointed and comfortable yacht, and is equipped as the new vessel is with dual
compressors, watermakers and nitrox system, she is not as luxurious and spacious as the Galapagos Eco Explorer I (then
again, very few vessels are). The cost of providing this trip for you has not significantly decreased, due to rising costs and
rates in the Galapagos; however, in recognition of your patience during this time of uncertainty, we have adjusted your
reservation to reflect a trip cost per person of $3,195, a $500 per person savings and $200 per person below the normal
cost for the vessel. We will be sending you a revised confirmation shortly. Should the permit be successfully transferred
back to Galapagos Eco Explorer I, we’ll contact you and simply revise your reservation again to reflect the original rate.
One distinct advantage for 2008 is that Estrella del Mar is permitted to offer both diving at Darwin and Wolf, as well as up
to two land excursions within the Galapagos National Park at places such as North Seymour and Bartolome. The
probability is that this is the last year in which divers will be able to enjoy land excursions within the GNP; once the new
diving permits are finalized later this year, those vessels offering diving will likely not be allowed to disembark passengers
at any of the popular land tour locations throughout the islands.

We very much apologize for the change in vessels – but rest assured that you will be seeing the wonders of Wolf and
Darwin, unlike the several thousand divers whose trips have been cancelled altogether. I want to thank you for your
patience as we’ve waited for final word from the Galapagos authorities, and we very much look forward to diving with you
this year!

Safe diving, Explorer Ventures

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#396 scubafanatic

scubafanatic

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Advanced Nitrox and Deco Procedures, Cavern
  • Logged Dives:250

Posted 22 March 2008 - 02:15 PM

.....well folks, the August Flower Gardens / SPREE trip still has openings for anyone wanting to go 'slumming' with the 'proletariat' like me! :cool1:

#397 georoc01

georoc01

I spend too much time on line

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:200

Posted 01 May 2008 - 10:07 AM

Here is some info on Quito Ecuador if anyone is interested..

http://www.denverpos...avel/ci_9018106

#398 ScubaPunk

ScubaPunk

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,029 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 08:20 PM

Payment Update:

1. Bill aka Grayfins ww got your $733 for land tours, Aero Gal flight etc for Oct 2009 Galapagos trip. :cool1:

#399 grayfins

grayfins

Meeting folks

• Charter Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver, NITROX; Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:365

Posted 07 May 2008 - 08:55 AM

I heard the mail was slow, but what can I say, I sent it out March 20, 2008 (a month and half ago). I guess that is why postal rates are going up.
For a summary, I show I have a balance with Single Divers for the Galapagos trip in 2009 to be $3783.00 less the rebooking cost (I am not sure what that is going to be).
Please let me know if my figures are correct.
grayfins

#400 ScubaPunk

ScubaPunk

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,029 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 09:02 AM

I heard the mail was slow, but what can I say, I sent it out March 20, 2008 (a month and half ago). I guess that is why postal rates are going up.
For a summary, I show I have a balance with Single Divers for the Galapagos trip in 2009 to be $3783.00 less the rebooking cost (I am not sure what that is going to be).
Please let me know if my figures are correct.
grayfins

It may not be the mail. Eventhough Kamala may have received your payment, it takes a while before she can list all out all the payments she receives for me to post. So eventhough they are booked by the Accountant, they will not always be posted in the thread as soon as she receives them, especially if she is traveling and doing dive shows. That being said....Kamala is leaving again for the Bonaire trip, so please be patient until she returns, and then she can let you know your balance. Unfortunately there isn't an office full of people working payments while she is away.

#401 grayfins

grayfins

Meeting folks

• Charter Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver, NITROX; Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:365

Posted 07 May 2008 - 02:14 PM

No problem, I was just checking because the trip is not until next year. No rush.
Bill aka grayfins

#402 ScubaPunk

ScubaPunk

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,029 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 10:35 AM

Payment Update:

1. Sue aka btu911: ww got your $500 deposit ck for this trip. :birthday:

#403 georoc01

georoc01

I spend too much time on line

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:200

Posted 22 October 2008 - 09:53 AM

What is going on with Explorer Ventures? I know the economy has hit some rough spots, but this started with this trip being cancelled. Now the site says that both of these boats have now been replaced with the Humboldt Explorer.

Caribbean Explorer 1 gone, Nimrod Explorer gone and the switching around of this boat makes long term planning getting tougher and tougher.

#404 ScubaPunk

ScubaPunk

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,029 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 11:44 AM

What is going on with Explorer Ventures? I know the economy has hit some rough spots, but this started with this trip being cancelled. Now the site says that both of these boats have now been replaced with the Humboldt Explorer.

Caribbean Explorer 1 gone, Nimrod Explorer gone and the switching around of this boat makes long term planning getting tougher and tougher.

It sounds like it has something to do with complying with Galapagos Park regulations, although it doesn't mention what those regulations are.

Humboldt Explorer
In addition, at the advice of the Galapagos National Park administration and to fully comply with new regulations regarding diving operations in the Galapagos Islands, Explorer Ventures will be bringing a new diving vessel to the Galapagos Archipelago in 2009. The Humboldt Explorer, named for the oceanic current that brings the diverse species to the Galapagos Islands, will commence operation in June 2009 as one of only 4 or 5 liveaboard diving vessels expected to be in operation in the Galapagos Islands in 2009. The Humboldt Explorer is a 100 foot vessel with 8 large, comfortable staterooms on the main and upper decks, and will be capable of accessing the remote islands of Darwin and Wolf in significantly less time than other vessels. Designed by the same architect and designer that created our previous vessel, each stateroom will contain two twin beds which can be converted to one large bed; there will be ample closet space in each room, as well as large windows to view the spectacular scenery and unique wildlife found in these islands. The vessel’s interior touts gleaming hardwood floors and a spacious eating and lounge area; a large sundeck and outdoor lounge will also be available for privileged guests.

#405 diveprn

diveprn

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
  • Board Status:returning
  • Cert Level:Adv,Rescue,Nitrox,
  • Logged Dives:252

Posted 22 October 2008 - 10:29 PM

It sounds like it has something to do with complying with Galapagos Park regulations, although it doesn't mention what those regulations are.

Humboldt Explorer
In addition, at the advice of the Galapagos National Park administration and to fully comply with new regulations regarding diving operations in the Galapagos Islands, Explorer Ventures will be bringing a new diving vessel to the Galapagos Archipelago in 2009. The Humboldt Explorer, named for the oceanic current that brings the diverse species to the Galapagos Islands, will commence operation in June 2009 as one of only 4 or 5 liveaboard diving vessels expected to be in operation in the Galapagos Islands in 2009. The Humboldt Explorer is a 100 foot vessel with 8 large, comfortable staterooms on the main and upper decks, and will be capable of accessing the remote islands of Darwin and Wolf in significantly less time than other vessels. Designed by the same architect and designer that created our previous vessel, each stateroom will contain two twin beds which can be converted to one large bed; there will be ample closet space in each room, as well as large windows to view the spectacular scenery and unique wildlife found in these islands. The vessel’s interior touts gleaming hardwood floors and a spacious eating and lounge area; a large sundeck and outdoor lounge will also be available for privileged guests.

I am confused. Is this trip rescheduled for Oct. 2009?? Is it still open?
Valerie
Life isn't measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users