• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

TSA and Scuba Gear Kit as carryon bag

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#16 ev780

ev780

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 08:42 PM

I did remove my compass from my reg on a couple of trips, since it has liquid in it. Didn't bother last time. Think I'll lose a compass that way...??

I'm sure the pilot already has a compass! :P

:P :-D :P
"I'd rather die while I am living, than live when I'm dead" Jimmy Buffett and the Coral Reefers

#17 DandyDon

DandyDon

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox / Scientific / Rescue / TDI Decompression
  • Logged Dives:351 dives, mostly ocean

Posted 20 April 2007 - 08:52 PM

Victoria's Secret put out a nice ad about a lovely lady going thru airport security - I think it's within Tos here, just barely - but it's too big to attach....

See it here

What would Patton do...? Posted Image

Yeah I know: I've been branded a non-group person - doesn't play well with others. I am so upset. Posted Image Let me know if you want to have some fun, without the drama - I'm good for that.

#18 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts
  • Board Status:Omnes Qui Errant Non Pereunt!
  • Cert Level:Rec: DM -- Tec: Ext Range
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 20 April 2007 - 09:13 PM

Robin

i do that with all of my film but i have some stickers i made up that insures a hand inspection. Attention Lab - Scientific Infared Film - Special Process E-41, ISO 12,800 - Open in complete Darkness. I have had TSOs do that as well which is why i break down all the film from the boxes now as TSA agents dont seem to be smart enough to understand what untampered packaging from the manufacture looks like even though its still in shrink wrap with kodak QC stickers on it.

my biggest pet peeve is the ones that feel they have to rip the foil wrappers off my medium format film, three agents at RDU got complaints who did this even when told it was infared (it was true IR film and about $20 a roll) still ripped the foil off and ruined it. I did get reimbursed because the supervisor heard my request that was ignored which is why i now use the stickers above on all films i carry. Needless to say end of next month is going to be interesting in that im going to be taking close to 400 rolls of film with me when i leave for Puerto Rico for my DAN internship

The reason i do the zip ties is that im normally having to send a pelican roller case, my camera bag, laptop and anything else through x-ray inaddition to having the film hand checked as it so it takes my a minute to get through a magnatomiter so i dont want them rummaging through my stuff without me watching. plus those ties are reusable so i can pull them off with ease. Then when there done if they inspect it i ask for some of the TSA clips so to prevent any other re-inspection in-transit (think crash cart clips) which i normally get.

A Novus Dies Has Adveho.... Occupo Dies

Where in the World is Tooth? ... Catch Me It You Can!

Traveling the World, Diving, and Photography, on my days off from saving lives as a Paramedic

#19 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 09:14 PM

Errr ...... Double Post

This is also my 900th post

Edited by Scubatooth, 20 April 2007 - 09:15 PM.

Traveling the World, Diving, and Photography, on my days off from saving lives as a Paramedic

#20 DandyDon

DandyDon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox / Scientific / Rescue / TDI Decompression
  • Logged Dives:351 dives, mostly ocean

Posted 20 April 2007 - 09:22 PM

Errr ...... Double Post

This is also my 900th post

:elf: :dance: :P :P :taz: :twist: :-D :P

What would Patton do...? Posted Image

Yeah I know: I've been branded a non-group person - doesn't play well with others. I am so upset. Posted Image Let me know if you want to have some fun, without the drama - I'm good for that.

#21 Dr Jay Scuba Dentist

Dr Jay Scuba Dentist

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Scuba Diver Trainer. Videographer and Photographer
  • Logged Dives:>300

Posted 21 April 2007 - 05:09 PM

TSA is only part of the problem, you can find out all the rules and try to be a good and observant person, but on your return, you are at the mercy of the local country's examiners, for whom you have absolutely recourse, and they know it............. I once begged the examiner in Turks and Caicos- Provo- to hand examine my film, and she pretty much told me if I want to leave the country, I'd better put the film through the xray machine :-(((((

Posted Image

Dr. Jay

Brush, Floss & Breathe

><(((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>¸

#22 madlobster

madlobster

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts
  • Cert Level:rescue diver
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 21 April 2007 - 05:41 PM

Has anyone had an issue with the compass getting through in carry-on. As of yet I have not, has it changed? :P
"The thing about dreams is sometimes you get to live'em out"- Payne Stewart

#23 lynnlchan

lynnlchan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Drysuit, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:175

Posted 17 February 2009 - 12:27 PM

Anyone ever had any issues with TSA screeners at airport for Scuba gear as carry-on baggage??

Reviving this thread - I'm heading to Mexico and our local airline is charging $75 each way for a bag of scuba gear. To get around this, I'm hoping to pack my scuba bag with fins, mask, snorkel (no extra charges for snorkeling gear) and the majority of my clothes, etc. In a carry on, I'll bring my BCD, wetsuit, computer and regulator as well as the minimal necessities if the checked bag is delayed.

What are people's recent experiences? Has anyone had problems getting the items I'm trying to carry on thru TSA??
Come on and wade way out into the water with me, we're drowning on dry land.
Come on and wade way out into the water with me, jump in and take my hand. --Gaelic Storm, Scalliwag

#24 ScubaTex

ScubaTex

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver
  • Logged Dives:720+

Posted 17 February 2009 - 12:47 PM

Anyone ever had any issues with TSA screeners at airport for Scuba gear as carry-on baggage??

Reviving this thread - I'm heading to Mexico and our local airline is charging $75 each way for a bag of scuba gear. To get around this, I'm hoping to pack my scuba bag with fins, mask, snorkel (no extra charges for snorkeling gear) and the majority of my clothes, etc. In a carry on, I'll bring my BCD, wetsuit, computer and regulator as well as the minimal necessities if the checked bag is delayed.

What are people's recent experiences? Has anyone had problems getting the items I'm trying to carry on thru TSA??

As long as it's under 50 lbs [or their designated weight limit] they shouldn't care what's in it. Unfortunately the airlines have made the checking of luggage, a profit center. They now expect you to fly without luggage.

I cram everything I can into my carry-on, on a recent trip it weighed in excess of 40 lbs. I always carry my perscription mask, reg, 2 dive computers, swimsuit, logbook with c-cards, and a change of clothes. What really eats up the space though is the camera, housing, and strobes.

Have fun & good diving in Mexico.

Bill

Time on earth is precious, time underwater even more so. Live life one day at a time. Dive your @$$ off!!!

#25 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 12:58 PM

The compass needs to be packed in check in, ill hold my tongue on that restriction.

personally i dont tell the checkin people whats in the bag because it really makes no difference, especially if there not being equal in the extra fees (like golf clubs and guns are fine, but scuba gets charged extra). What they dont know doesnt hurt them. But i will say this i would make sure you document whats put in your checked bag and zip tie it shut with non standard color zip ties so ifthey get into it you will know right away ( I use custom dual color Serial Numbered zip ties) if someone has gotten into the bag.

As for carryon, I put anything that is absolutely a must i have to have at a location or i wouldn't dare pack (Ie regs, computer, UW camera housings, strobes, etc) i also Use the max carryon allowance which currently means i have a backpack (The NorthFace Surge), and a Mountainsmith Correspondent rollaboard and between those two i can get alot of items in there

I haven't had any problems with TSA with my dive gear in carry on including a stainless steel back plate that i had in with my camera gear backpack when i went to PR. But i put a caveat on all of it that TSA has a penchant for changing the rules on the fly on what is and isnt a weapon so your mileage may vary on what they will and wont allow or confiscate.

#26 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:448

Posted 17 February 2009 - 01:58 PM

Lynn, most of my flying is done for dive trips, and out of the country. I have yet to have anyone ask at the counter what was inside my checked bag. No way would my BC fit in my carryon, with the other mandatory items already in there, so it gets checked.

Can you tell us who you're flying with, so the rest of us can watch out for this issue?
Posted Image

#27 ddierolf

ddierolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts
  • Cert Level:Padi Divemaster
  • Logged Dives:300+

Posted 17 February 2009 - 02:24 PM

I carry regs and dive computer with me on the plane. It amazed me that people in the US have no clue what scuba gear is, but an elderly lady at the airport in Bali Indonesia asked how my dive trip was when I went through security there. As for my other scuba gear, I check it at the airport, but did have a lock on my bag cut off. I didn't find anything missing though.

Which end is up?

#28 lynnlchan

lynnlchan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Drysuit, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:175

Posted 17 February 2009 - 02:32 PM

Lynn, most of my flying is done for dive trips, and out of the country. I have yet to have anyone ask at the counter what was inside my checked bag. No way would my BC fit in my carryon, with the other mandatory items already in there, so it gets checked.

Can you tell us who you're flying with, so the rest of us can watch out for this issue?

I agree and I've never been asked but I've never flown SunCountry - they shouldn't care what's in the bag if it meets their restrictions for size and weight. It's a rip off that they charge more for scuba equipment. I called and the customer service agent I got confirmed it's extra for scuba gear. I could chance it but I'm really not willing to pay an extra $150 or to rearrange my luggage at the airport. My scuba bag has an outside fin pocket so it's obvious what it is.

SunCountry - I've trimmed out most details:

Sporting Equipment
One (1) item of the following sporting equipment may be substituted for one of your checked baggage.
• Fishing Equipment
• Golfing Equipment
• Skiing Equipment
• Bowling Equipment

The following sporting equipment will not be counted as a piece of your checked baggage allowance, and require additional fees.
• Bicycles
• Scuba-Diving Equipment
One item of scuba diving equipment consists of: One (1) regulator, one (1) pressure gauge, one (1) mask, two (2) fins, one (1) snorkel, one (1) knife, one (1) spear gun and one (1) BC-vest (cannot contain air cartridges). The charge is $75 on all flights. These items must be placed in a container that prevents damage to the equipment. Like all passenger airlines, we are prohibited from transporting scuba diving tanks, even if they are empty.
• Surfboard/Wakeboard
• Windsurfing Equipment
Come on and wade way out into the water with me, we're drowning on dry land.
Come on and wade way out into the water with me, jump in and take my hand. --Gaelic Storm, Scalliwag

#29 MNJoe

MNJoe

"Charlie"

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:450

Posted 17 February 2009 - 02:56 PM

I have had to pay due to extra weight, but never because it was SCUBA gear. I have always packed my compass in my carry on.

I guess I have been lucky!

"just your average Joe from Minnesota, also known as Keith"

#30 scubaski

scubaski

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,840 posts
  • Cert Level:ow-aow-ean
  • Logged Dives:400 plus

Posted 17 February 2009 - 06:30 PM

I have NOT had a problem with TSA agents regarding BC, REG/OCT, mask, split fins, snorkle, SMB. 3mm wetsuit, rash guards, swim trunks, strobes, cameras, dive lights, and other items AS CARRY-ON except for 1 agent that was extra interested in my dive computer, but even then I passed thru with 2 dive computers as carry on.I also carry on bricks of AA size batteries along with back up batteries for dive computer but unload these items along with my 3oz or smaller gels and liquids, shoes, metal items into the convient bins at the x-ray screen area. Sometimes the agent wants to check out my bag and use the gas anayliser machine but I always get thru quickly. I do pack compass (contains liquid) and of course dive knife and shears as checked items.

I think most TSA agents, at least the men/women on x-ray machines know what BC and regs/oct look like.

To be honest the only problem I had was with a AA prescreener that though my carryon wouldn't fix the size wise bin(removed flip-flops) but got past her and TSA but was intercepted again at plane ramp by another AA gate agent. The gate agent checked my carryon as checked bag(no charge). I was pissed. Seperated from my essential dive gear on internatiuonal trip, but it worked out with all bags at destination.

You posted further that you have a "checked bag with fin pocket" that shouts out OPEN ME I have good stuff inside. IMO you may consider to down-grade to no-name rolling duffle that can be bought at Costco or Wallmart for $25-$35. Put your snorkle gear in that bag ( possible also BC if your a gambler) and see what happens.
Hope this helps, Good Luck. Stan

Edited by scubaski, 17 February 2009 - 06:41 PM.

MADRE FELIZ DIA MAMÁ

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users