• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

COFFEE- Friend or Foe?

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#16 Bubble2Bubble

Bubble2Bubble

Arkansas HH Planner

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • Board Status:Surface Interval Starting 08/2009
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver, Medic, Emergency First Responder, CPR/AED-Oxygen, Dry Suit, Nitrox.
  • Logged Dives:500+ Studing for my DM

Posted 01 July 2004 - 12:22 PM

WW

...my gene pool looks like a cesspool...

I still Love you WW.
As for Me I'm a Coffee drinker in the mornings. Yvonne has the right atitude about it also :welcome:

B2B
Dive into Life and Live for Diving!
no trees were harmed while posting any of my messages,
however a significant number of electrons were inconvenienced.

Buy Lawn Mower and Chain Saw Parts at...
Amazon.com

#17 DivingGal

DivingGal

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • Cert Level:Divemaster.... love looking at critters, but enjoy wrecks when I can't
  • Logged Dives:300+

Posted 01 July 2004 - 01:10 PM

I like the taste -- but can't really handle the caffine. So unless it's de-caff I rarely drink it. I don't need it to start my day.
Sometimes, you just gotta be

#18 Lubold8431

Lubold8431

• PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor. Do most of my diving in NE. I love wreck diving.
  • Logged Dives:Over 1500...

Posted 01 July 2004 - 01:48 PM

Well, I admit it, my name is Chuck and I am a coffeeholic. Sorry Walter, some of us arent as perfect as you. I used to drink coffee all day long at a certain job that I had for many years. Now, I am down to just a fraction of what I used to drink. I dont buy into all the health effects they tell us it does to us. Everything seems to cause Cancer these days. I enjoy my coffee every day, and I dont plan on stopping. Yes, I am in the denial phase, I dont have a problem. I also drink beer too. And, I curse sometimes... Forty lashes for me...
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will.
--Vince Lombardi

#19 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 01 July 2004 - 01:53 PM

Sorry Walter, some of us arent as perfect as you.

Sorry Chuck, you've confused me with someone else. I have lots of faults, addiction to coffee just doesn't happen to be one of them.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#20 Lubold8431

Lubold8431

• PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor. Do most of my diving in NE. I love wreck diving.
  • Logged Dives:Over 1500...

Posted 01 July 2004 - 02:03 PM

Good... Im glad to hear you ARE human like the rest of us. Your first couple of posts in this thread sounded a little harsh to us coffee lovers...
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will.
--Vince Lombardi

#21 Laura

Laura

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts
  • Board Status:Not on vacation (damn!)
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:You mean I have to log them, too?

Posted 01 July 2004 - 02:58 PM

Forty lashes for me...

:hiya:
Here you go! now start counting...
:mauswhip: :mauswhip: :mauswhip:
WWZD - What Would ZENA Do ??

#22 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 01 July 2004 - 03:34 PM

Chuck,

Sorry for giving that impression. I meant it as a statement of facts, not as a value judgement.

I think I'm human. Either that or I'm a member of another species that's even more flawed. Of course reading Heinlein's They as a small child means I'll never be completely sure.

Walter
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#23 JulioJoglar

JulioJoglar

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 534 posts
  • Gender:Default...if you do not click on either male or female, a moderator will contact you to help fill out correctly.

Posted 07 July 2004 - 04:47 PM

COFFEE- Friend or Foe?

FRIEND!!! :teeth:

'Nough said.

Julio

#24 jextract

jextract

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor, Divemaster, Nitrox, Rescue, Wreck, ...
  • Logged Dives:120ish

Posted 07 July 2004 - 04:54 PM

FOE! The acid just kills my stomach. But give me a Diet Coke in the mornin' and all's right with the world.
"Because I accept the definition, does not mean I accept the defined." -- ScubaHawk
"Love is blind but lust likes lacy panties" -- SanDiegoCarol
"If you're gonna be dumb, you'd better be tough." -- Phillip Manor
"If I know the answer I'll tell you the answer, and if I don't I'll just respond cleverly." -- Donald Rumsfeld

#25 triggerfish

triggerfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,712 posts
  • Cert Level:goddess.
  • Logged Dives:never enough

Posted 07 July 2004 - 05:09 PM

...and on the NINTH day, god created caffeine....

in both coffee AND diet coke (i'm with ya on that one, jamie).

but i drink coffee at work. hospital coffee. the kind that they use to clean motors.

#26 BradfordNC

BradfordNC

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts
  • Cert Level:certifi-what?
  • Logged Dives:2 and 1/2

Posted 07 July 2004 - 05:23 PM

mmmmmmmmmmmm coffee

but make mine a white chocolate mocha

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

coffee good

coffee friend
OK, lets make a deal. If you stop telling me how to dive, I'll stop going down to the bus station at 2am to slap d***s out of your mouth.

#27 triggerfish

triggerfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,712 posts
  • Cert Level:goddess.
  • Logged Dives:never enough

Posted 07 July 2004 - 05:33 PM

mmmmmmmmmmmm coffee

but make mine a white chocolate mocha

and you asked DALE how his skirt fit ?????????????

#28 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,588 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 07 July 2004 - 05:36 PM

being ADHD, l find that a quad vanilla latte once or twice a day is a darn good way to self-medicate...sure beats the pharmacutical option. l tried to read up on ADHD to find other options, but l got bored.

Hey...pm me if you are seriously looking for non-prescription ways to fight the ADHD...I have a number of ADHD clients that I help using only natural methods and they DO work. -ww

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#29 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,588 posts

Posted 07 July 2004 - 05:44 PM

Absolutely an addiction. I don't kid myself. I have gone "caffeine free" twice before for a couple of months. The headache lasts for three solid weeks for me.

I've tried water to wake up. Why do I need help waking up? Insomnia. My most restful sleep comes just at the time I have to rise to prepare for my workday. (I'll get up for an early dive, though)

Anyway, just one or two cups and I'm good for the day. Some day, I'll bite the bullet and get off of it for good!

Actually the caffiene in the system is partially responsible for the interrupted sleep patterns. I used to have to hit the snooze alarm for an hour to get up and get going. I had the coffee pot on a timer so it was ready when I FINALLY got up. When I lived in a two story townhouse I even set the coffee pot upstairs in the bathroom (reminded me of the hotel rooms I spent too much time in) so I didn't have to go downstairs to get my addiction. And yes...coffee is addictive and I was addicted to about 3+ pots a day of it.

PM me for a natural sleep inducer that will help you not only sleep better but also regulate the number of sleep cycles you have so you don't wake up during a sleep cycle which makes you feel groggy and tired when you wake up rather then rested and awake.

I can also help you get off cafeine slowly and naturally for good if you really want too without the side effects you've mentioned and stay off it. (I've been off coffee and all cafeine for over a year and I've never felt better!) You can do it too if you want! -ww

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#30 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,588 posts

Posted 07 July 2004 - 06:06 PM

Well, I admit it, my name is Chuck and I am a coffeeholic. Sorry Walter, some of us arent as perfect as you. I used to drink coffee all day long at a certain job that I had for many years. Now, I am down to just a fraction of what I used to drink. I dont buy into all the health effects they tell us it does to us. Everything seems to cause Cancer these days. I enjoy my coffee every day, and I dont plan on stopping. Yes, I am in the denial phase, I dont have a problem. I also drink beer too. And, I curse sometimes... Forty lashes for me...

Ok for the record...Walter is not perfect!! LOL!!! Ok well maybe just a little!!! :lmao:

So the real issue is moderation. Will coffee hurt you in moderation? No not really. It will have some negative consequences however it will not hurt you unless abused. Abuse varies by person as each person's tolerances will vary. One cup a day will not have serious long term negative effects if you counter it with positive habits like drinking an extra 8oz of water for each cup you drink of coffee. (That is after you've drank half your body weight in oz's of water FIRST!)

Eat additional green leafy veggies to offset the calcium and nutritional loss.

Limit other calcuim depleting habits like eating too much meat, stress, lack of exercise, etc.

However don't forget that the question was whether coffee was good for you and the answer is no not really. How bad it is depends on the individual...how much they drink...and what other lifestyle habits they have that are either worse or potentially worse. Will drinking coffee kill you? No but combined with all the other bad or poor lifestyle choices we make...we sure are making it harder to reach the ultimate goal....Living Long and Dying Short!!!

P.S. As for everything causing cancer....yes just about everything that is man-made or over processed by man has been stripped of its nutritional value or in some cases modified into foreign substances the body can not use or even damages itself TRYING to break down and process. With the overall decline in the SAD...standard american diet...most Americans are not eating 9-12 servings of RAW, fresh, Vine Ripened fruits and veggies which provide the building blocks of nutrition that allow our bodies to fight off disease, cancer, colds, etc at the cellular level. (They are eating 1-3 servings and count french fries as one of those servings.) You desparately need the REAL FOODS that provide the defenses the cells need to attack mutant cells and mutating genes that eventually become cancer. And for the record...what you do today has a tremendous impact on your future...the average cancer has been growing in your body for 15 years PRIOR to early detection. That is why when we finally detect it we often have very little time left to live UNLESS we can flood the body with the basic arsenal it needs to fight back. Most of us don't know how to do that. An interesting study was conducted of people who died of OLD AGE and natural causes. 85% had CANCER but NONE of them died of cancer. They died of natural causes. So if you can arm the body with the proper arsenal that your cells need to push out the doubling effects of cancer then I say who cares if I get cancer...just as long as I die of old age.

Remember...the goal is to Live Long and Die Short...unfortunately Americans Live Short and Die long. Not me...that would seriously impact my diving and so I've decided to do something about it.

And now that I've finished this segment of my soapbox sermon...we now return you to your regularily scheduled thread in progress.....sorry folks...I get pretty passionate sometimes about my day job as a nutritionist....about as much as I do diving!!! Kamala

formerly...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users