• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Back Plate-Wing or Donut for travel

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 scubaski

scubaski

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,840 posts
  • Cert Level:ow-aow-ean
  • Logged Dives:400 plus

Posted 09 May 2007 - 06:34 PM

:) Any special training needed for me to get into fiber backplate and bladder for ONLY recreational diving. Will not be doing tech-rec-deco or caving. Tech setup of fiber plate and bladder seems as thought it will pack and travel easily. I currently use a jacket bc. I'm AOW-EAN w/230 dives warmwater.
Thanks in advance for your input.
Stan
MADRE FELIZ DIA MAMÁ

#2 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 07:12 PM

Special training? Put the unit on, adjust it, dive it. Couldn't be easier.

But what is a "fiber" backplate?

#3 captsteve

captsteve

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts
  • Cert Level:aow/nitrox
  • Logged Dives:absolutly no idea

Posted 09 May 2007 - 07:52 PM

like perrone said.....but what is it? some kind of composite?

#4 scubaski

scubaski

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,840 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 08:07 PM

like perrone said.....but what is it? some kind of composite?

Thanks for the replys. Yes I believe I've been diving with a tech diver that had somekind of composite back plate, didn't look or weigh like stainless or aluminum. Seemed nice and light for travelling with.
Ss
MADRE FELIZ DIA MAMÁ

#5 annasea

annasea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 08:11 PM

Just a WAG... was it DSS's Kydex plate?

#6 scubaski

scubaski

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,840 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 08:48 PM

That may be it or simular. with a link to dealer @ SD.com. Thanks for the heads up.
Stan
MADRE FELIZ DIA MAMÁ

#7 Latitude Adjustment

Latitude Adjustment

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts
  • Cert Level:EanX
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 10 May 2007 - 03:32 AM

I got a DSS Kydex BP for travel and love it. I use it with a 20 pound lift wing which is okay under water but I miss my 36 pounder during the surface swims on my back.
I, Latitude Adjustment (insert log in name), do hereby swear, (politely), that I shall not hold SingleDivers, (SD), nor any SD poster, (real or imagined), liable, nor shall I seek legal restitution, (real or imagined), for any perceived, (real or imagined), offenses I may incur, (or Incurrrrrrrrrr on talk like a pirate day), that may or may not be posted on this or any SCUBA related board, (real or imagined), by anyone, (real or imagined), anywhere, (real or imagined). Further, I void any right to privacy, (real or imagined), as it may, or may not relate to any posting, (real or imagined), about me, to me, for me, because of me, all about me, my dog, my cat, my bird, my monkey, my family, (real or imagined), my friends, (real or imagined), or my world, (real or imagined).

By all that is wet, I do hereby swear, (politely), and attest, upon pain of never diving again, (real or imagined), that I understand and affirm, that I agree to the above.

_________________________________________(log in name signature)
Signed and Dated

#8 netmage

netmage

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts
  • Cert Level:Tech & Cave
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 10 May 2007 - 07:13 PM

There are many iterations of back inflate BC rig's; recreational and technical... I wouldn't say any special training is required - but I would recommend something on the shallower end of the pool for your first few dives. The trim, how it handles, and all the little nuances you got used to over your past 230 dives will be slighty different... So find a pool or a nice 30-60' reef or quarry and jump in....

DSS has their Kydex plate, DiveRite has an ABS platic one... I've been thinking about one just so I have another harness for wearing my doubles when loading/unloading the car... I really hate lugging 104's across the parking lot and up the steps by the valves... Its that or I just plunk down for another AL plate and rig it up full blown - heck if I do that - I might as well get new regs and wing too... next thing I'll have anotehr set of gear and $1K plunked down.... Ya'll need to quit planting ideas in my head like this....

-Tim
"I aim to misbehave...."

#9 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 10 May 2007 - 08:48 PM

Ya'll need to quit planting ideas in my head like this....

If it's that easy then...buy Dive Girl tech gear too, buy Dive Girl tech gear too, buy Dive Girl tech gear too, buy Dive Girl tech gear too, buy Dive Girl tech gear too..." :diver:
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#10 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts
  • Board Status:thinkin' about diving
  • Cert Level:DM; TDI Adv Nitrox and Deco Procedures
  • Logged Dives:1200 ish

Posted 10 May 2007 - 08:51 PM

Ya'll need to quit planting ideas in my head like this....

If it's that easy then...buy Dive Girl tech gear too, buy Dive Girl tech gear too, buy Dive Girl tech gear too, buy Dive Girl tech gear too, buy Dive Girl tech gear too..." :hiya:

OOOHHHH, sneaky!!!

now why did I think of that :diver:

#11 overseas

overseas

Getting started

• Pip
  • 30 posts
  • Board Status:im here
  • Cert Level:Full Cave
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 11 May 2007 - 09:06 PM

There are many iterations of back inflate BC rig's; recreational and technical... I wouldn't say any special training is required - but I would recommend something on the shallower end of the pool for your first few dives. The trim, how it handles, and all the little nuances you got used to over your past 230 dives will be slighty different... So find a pool or a nice 30-60' reef or quarry and jump in....

DSS has their Kydex plate, DiveRite has an ABS platic one... I've been thinking about one just so I have another harness for wearing my doubles when loading/unloading the car... I really hate lugging 104's across the parking lot and up the steps by the valves... Its that or I just plunk down for another AL plate and rig it up full blown - heck if I do that - I might as well get new regs and wing too... next thing I'll have anotehr set of gear and $1K plunked down.... Ya'll need to quit planting ideas in my head like this....

-Tim

....Chris needs a new stage bottle....Chris needs a 35 watt salvo....

#12 Humanphibian

Humanphibian

Getting started

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Cert Level:NAUI Training Assistant
  • Logged Dives:not sure - don't log 'em all ?1000+

Posted 10 January 2008 - 12:42 PM

I have an ABS Dive-Rite.....my AUL Fred Tagge is lighter, thinner, and FAR more rigid. The AUL seems to grab the attention of TSA....but not any worse than a carry-on full of regs and computers;)
"The Devil made me do it the first time....the second time I did it on my own!"

____
/ 6 \

http://www.myspace.c...nalhumanphibian

#13 ScubaDrew

ScubaDrew

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 737 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 10 January 2008 - 02:42 PM

-snip-
DSS has their Kydex plate, DiveRite has an ABS platic one... I've been thinking about one just so I have another harness for wearing my doubles when loading/unloading the car... I really hate lugging 104's across the parking lot and up the steps by the valves... -Tim

Just a thought Tim, but they make those carry straps? The ones that slide over the tank with two bands connected by a handle? I know carrying them on your back would be much easier, but those straps are a lot cheaper than a new plate, and you could prolly fashion somthing out of a couple old weight belts and a broom stick, perhaps for free...
Drew Z.

"Winter is not a season, it's an occupation." -Sinclair Lewis

Meet Pearl and Opal, the new shark rays in Adventure Aquarium.

#14 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,585 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 10 January 2008 - 03:01 PM

I think Stan is thinking about the DSS Kydex plate which as Ray aka Latitude Adjustment says is SUPER LIGHT for travel. I have one too and love it when I dive wet. When I dive dry (which is most of the time) I have now opted to use a 5 lb steel backplate instead. And YES it is great for travel.

Here's the math:

Jacket bc approx 13-15 lbs.(depending on which one I used and I needed approx 18-24 pounds to sink depending on my wetsuit config)
Kydex plate and wing approx 5# and I needed 12-18 pounds to sink wet or 26 pounds when diving dry
SS (Stainless Steel) plate and wing approx 10 pounds and I only need approx 18-20 pounds to sink.

So you are still lighter than your jacket and you put 5 pounds on your back which makes you more level in the water and in some cases allows you to drop your overall lead needs by more than the 5 you put on your back.

Plus you don't need extra lead for the bp&w to sink as it is either neutral with kydex or slightly negative and definitely negative with the ss backplate.

And while this thread is a bit old...SD is still a dealer for DSS and we can get great deals on them for you. We also have special arrangements with OMS and DiveRite and can get great deals for you on them as well.

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#15 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 03:27 PM

Interesting WW. I use the SS plate when I dive wet, and the kydex when I dive dry. Opposite problems I guess.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users