• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Tips on Tips

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 annasea

annasea

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 07:38 PM

I'll be diving soon in FL for up to 7 days with a DM/guide who also happens to be the dive op owner, I believe. In addition to being my buddy, he's also prepared to help me with my air consumption and perhaps a few other trouble spots. How much should I tip? Do I need to tip anyone else such as the captain? Is there a percentage range, for example, 15-20% of the total cost per day, i.e., diving fee, guide fee, and tank rental? Any suggestions are most appreciated! :usflag:

#2 dustbowl diver

dustbowl diver

"Charlie"

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,028 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:139

Posted 16 May 2007 - 06:26 AM

If you are doing a two tank AM dive for $60 for example, a $10 bill is a little over 15% and seems reasonable IMO. I treat it like I do a resteraunt, if I receive good service and a perceived good value, I tip 20%.
"Yesterday's gone, tomorrow never knows, today will never be the same again!"-Jibe

#3 Latitude Adjustment

Latitude Adjustment

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts
  • Cert Level:EanX
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 16 May 2007 - 07:21 AM

It's usually $5 per tank, more for above and beyond and being your guide is more unless he loses you, then a lot less :usflag:
I, Latitude Adjustment (insert log in name), do hereby swear, (politely), that I shall not hold SingleDivers, (SD), nor any SD poster, (real or imagined), liable, nor shall I seek legal restitution, (real or imagined), for any perceived, (real or imagined), offenses I may incur, (or Incurrrrrrrrrr on talk like a pirate day), that may or may not be posted on this or any SCUBA related board, (real or imagined), by anyone, (real or imagined), anywhere, (real or imagined). Further, I void any right to privacy, (real or imagined), as it may, or may not relate to any posting, (real or imagined), about me, to me, for me, because of me, all about me, my dog, my cat, my bird, my monkey, my family, (real or imagined), my friends, (real or imagined), or my world, (real or imagined).

By all that is wet, I do hereby swear, (politely), and attest, upon pain of never diving again, (real or imagined), that I understand and affirm, that I agree to the above.

_________________________________________(log in name signature)
Signed and Dated

#4 Cold_H2O

Cold_H2O

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,498 posts
  • Logged Dives:lost count but back to keeping a log.

Posted 16 May 2007 - 07:25 AM

On boat dives here we don't tip the captain just the crew and the average is $5-$10 per tank.
A 2 tank dive trip tip is between $10-$20.

Some folks think that is too much. I do it based on service.
The boat I charter I use {Banditos} the crew is very helpful.
If you need help gearing up they offer it.
They will also help haul your gear from your car to the boat and back off at the end of the dive.

I am short and the last rung of the ladder is a tough one for me.
So they get to haul my butt and my gear up that last step for both dives. :usflag:

I usually tip $20 and bring treats when I dive with them.
The cost of the charter is $70 which includes soup and sandwiches for lunch.

Hope that helps.

Edited by gis_gal, 16 May 2007 - 07:27 AM.

Well Behave Women Rarely Make History ~ Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Formerly known as gis_gal and name tattoo'd for a small bribe!

#5 scubagalpal

scubagalpal

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 91 posts
  • Cert Level:MSDT
  • Logged Dives:2500 +

Posted 16 May 2007 - 08:12 AM

I'll be diving soon in FL for up to 7 days

Where in FL are you going to be? Glad to see that the nitrox computer will be getting a work out. :evilgrin:

For the tipping situation, you might consider tipping the guide seperately if he's not part of the regular boat crew. The $5/tank is pretty standard here in South FL.

Have fun!

#6 scubaski

scubaski

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,840 posts
  • Cert Level:ow-aow-ean
  • Logged Dives:400 plus

Posted 16 May 2007 - 09:54 AM

I'll be diving soon in FL for up to 7 days with a DM/guide who also happens to be the dive op owner, I believe. In addition to being my buddy, he's also prepared to help me with my air consumption and perhaps a few other trouble spots. How much should I tip? Do I need to tip anyone else such as the captain? Is there a percentage range, for example, 15-20% of the total cost per day, i.e., diving fee, guide fee, and tank rental? Any suggestions are most appreciated! :evilgrin:

I tend to dive multi day w/ same operator. Often different cpt. and mates and DM on multi day. I use 15-20% depending on service of package price, goes into the pot and let operator divide it up. I will tip a indvidual for special service I receive also.
Ss
MADRE FELIZ DIA MAMÁ

#7 netmage

netmage

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts
  • Cert Level:Tech & Cave
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 16 May 2007 - 10:09 AM

I'll be diving soon in FL for up to 7 days with a DM/guide who also happens to be the dive op owner, I believe. In addition to being my buddy, he's also prepared to help me with my air consumption and perhaps a few other trouble spots. How much should I tip? Do I need to tip anyone else such as the captain? Is there a percentage range, for example, 15-20% of the total cost per day, i.e., diving fee, guide fee, and tank rental? Any suggestions are most appreciated! :evilgrin:

And I didn't get an invite....? I'm beginning to get a complex.... :birthday:

On a boat w/ a captain and a DM, Tip the crew - the captain is paid for in the charter fee.
On a six pack w/ just the captain - I tip the captain.
In your scenerio, I'm assuming the owner is acting in the capacity of crew/dm - he gets tipped. (Who is it - Kev or Brent?)

I generally tip $5 a tank, and plan on $10 for a trip, this can approach 20% on some charters.

If he's also acting in the capacity of a guide and you have a blast - maybe another $5 above whatever your paying for his services, if your not formally paying for a guide... $10. If you've been w/ them before and going to be spending 7 days w/ the same crew 15% as a lump sum is one hell of a motivator. The real key here is to remember to tip - all too often I'm on a crowded boat (often w/ OW students) and the DM busts their ass getting a bunch of nervous students squared away and left dry...
"I aim to misbehave...."

#8 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 16 May 2007 - 10:13 AM

On boat dives here we don't tip the captain just the crew and the average is $5-$10 per tank.

They will also help haul your gear from your car to the boat and back off at the end of the dive.

So they get to haul my butt and my gear up that last step for both dives. :evilgrin:

Hope that helps.

What she said! :birthday: And her apple sin treat is a delight!
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#9 cmt489

cmt489

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,346 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:75+

Posted 16 May 2007 - 10:24 AM

So they get to haul my butt and my gear up that last step for both dives. :evilgrin:

Hope that helps.

Which reminds me - I have to stock up on Fudgee-os before the PNW Treasure Hunt weekend!

#10 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic

Posted 16 May 2007 - 11:34 AM

Which reminds me - I have to stock up on Fudgee-os before the PNW Treasure Hunt weekend!

Yes and don't let your co-workers get near them!

I left the last dive operator with a Single Divers T-shirt in addition to my gratuity. Somtimes items unique to you or the area you are visiting from are an additional bonus thank you and might be an extra special touch in the case of the person you describe annasea.
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#11 dustbowl diver

dustbowl diver

"Charlie"

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,028 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 12:06 PM

Hope that helps.

You fine females can get away with the desert gig. I show up with a pan of cake donut bread pudding and the crew is liable to think I'm diving in a rainbow speedo!!! :birthday:
"Yesterday's gone, tomorrow never knows, today will never be the same again!"-Jibe

#12 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 01:00 PM

You fine females can get away with the desert gig. I show up with a pan of cake donut bread pudding and the crew is liable to think I'm diving in a rainbow speedo!!! :D

One of my closest dive buddies does dive in a fabulous rainbow speedo, so I see nothing wrong with it. Quit holding the cake donut bread pudding our from your dive buddies and go with it!

#13 gcbryan

gcbryan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts
  • Logged Dives:620

Posted 16 May 2007 - 04:06 PM

I'll be diving soon in FL for up to 7 days with a DM/guide who also happens to be the dive op owner, I believe. In addition to being my buddy, he's also prepared to help me with my air consumption and perhaps a few other trouble spots. How much should I tip? Do I need to tip anyone else such as the captain? Is there a percentage range, for example, 15-20% of the total cost per day, i.e., diving fee, guide fee, and tank rental? Any suggestions are most appreciated! :D

The tip question has been answered now but I'll give you a "tip" regarding air consumption. Diving more is the main way to improve air consumption. If you are getting headaches (due to Co2 buildup) then you need to breath deeper but otherwise there aren't any good tricks regarding your breathing. If your weighing isn't dialed in or if your buoyancy isn't as good as you would like then correcting these areas will result in the use of less air in your BC. Otherwise more dive experience (being more comfortable) is what makes the difference and moving around less.

#14 annasea

annasea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 10:49 PM

And I didn't get an invite....? I'm beginning to get a complex.... :thankyou:

Phft! How soon they forget... :D An informal invite was extended on another board. :birthday:

On a boat w/ a captain and a DM, Tip the crew - the captain is paid for in the charter fee.
On a six pack w/ just the captain - I tip the captain.
In your scenerio, I'm assuming the owner is acting in the capacity of crew/dm - he gets tipped. (Who is it - Kev or Brent?)

I generally tip $5 a tank, and plan on $10 for a trip, this can approach 20% on some charters.

If he's also acting in the capacity of a guide and you have a blast - maybe another $5 above whatever your paying for his services, if your not formally paying for a guide... $10. If you've been w/ them before and going to be spending 7 days w/ the same crew 15% as a lump sum is one hell of a motivator. <snip>

I'll be diving on Kevin's boat with Kevin acting as my babysitter-for-hire for probably all of my dives. Lucky Kevin! :banghead: Would you suggest in this scenario to tip the captain and Kevin separately? 15% of the bill split up somehow between the two? :thankyou:

Somtimes items unique to you or the area you are visiting from are an additional bonus thank you and might be an extra special touch in the case of the person you describe annasea.

A nice idea... thanks! :wakawaka:

The tip question has been answered now but I'll give you a "tip" regarding air consumption. Diving more is the main way to improve air consumption. If you are getting headaches (due to Co2 buildup) then you need to breath deeper but otherwise there aren't any good tricks regarding your breathing. If your weighing isn't dialed in or if your buoyancy isn't as good as you would like then correcting these areas will result in the use of less air in your BC. Otherwise more dive experience (being more comfortable) is what makes the difference and moving around less.

Thanks, Gray. I think my biggest issues thus far have been being overweighted, and a sense of feeling rushed which affected both my buoyancy and movement. I plan on moving at MY pace this trip.

#15 dustbowl diver

dustbowl diver

"Charlie"

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,028 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 06:34 AM

You fine females can get away with the desert gig. I show up with a pan of cake donut bread pudding and the crew is liable to think I'm diving in a rainbow speedo!!! :thankyou:

One of my closest dive buddies does dive in a fabulous rainbow speedo, so I see nothing wrong with it. Quit holding the cake donut bread pudding our from your dive buddies and go with it!

Good point-so maybe it is my dive buddies that will have the issue with the rainbow speedo!! (note to self-must dive in PNW with new dive buddies!)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users