• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

I'm in trouble with my Wife about dive gear ..AGAIN

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 BubbleBoy

BubbleBoy

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW + Deep, Wreck, Drysuit, Navigation, Night, Rescue, Nitrox Specialties
  • Logged Dives:300+

Posted 27 May 2007 - 05:35 PM

Yesterday I went diving and my SPG flooded. The pressure equalization port somehow got clogged, and water started leaking in through the face seal. Today I took it apart, cleaned it up, and reassembled it. The little temperature coil on the gauge had shown mild corrosion, and I wanted to test it for accuracy over a reasonable operating range. So, to test the low end, I put my gauge pod in the refrigerator.

When my wife came back from the grocery store this afternoon, she found my gauge pod in the frig and got all ticked off. Now she's threatening to cook my SPG for dinner.

Was I wrong?
BB

When you make fish laugh, they can't bite you.

#2 bottomtime

bottomtime

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • Cert Level: padi safe diver-nitrox -cave---prefer spearfishing
  • Logged Dives:3-400-?

Posted 27 May 2007 - 05:39 PM

not at all but if it taste good send me the recipe :fish:

#3 scubajen

scubajen

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 57 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:50

Posted 27 May 2007 - 05:54 PM

I don't think you were wrong. At least you didn't spend a lot of money on new gear. How do you cook gear? What seasonings should be used? :fish:
Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. – Mark Twain

Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious

#4 Capn Jack

Capn Jack

I spend too much time on line

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts
  • Board Status:Working to fund the next trip
  • Cert Level:YMCA in 65, dove till 79, returned in 2002... now will work for air and/or beer as a DM
  • Logged Dives:not enough

Posted 27 May 2007 - 06:17 PM

You were not wrong unless you used her nylons instead of silk panties to clean your SPG. Silk does not score the delicate washers inside your gear.
No aquarium, no tank in a marine land, however spacious it may be, can begin to duplicate the conditions of the sea. And no dolphin who inhabits one of those aquariums or one of those marine lands can be considered normal.
Jacques Yves Cousteau

#5 netmage

netmage

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts
  • Cert Level:Tech & Cave
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 27 May 2007 - 06:33 PM

This is where DIR comes in handy.... simple plain brass SPG.. when they are done - they're done... a new one is $60 away.... easily worth less than any argument you'll never win - even if a clear minded rational person would agree with you... :fish:

Edited by netmage, 27 May 2007 - 06:33 PM.

"I aim to misbehave...."

#6 Basslet

Basslet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:150

Posted 27 May 2007 - 07:05 PM

Honestly? As a formerly married woman? I've seen a lot worse things in my fridge. I really don't see what the big deal is. Maybe she was having a bad day?
Maybe she would like to trade days? I had a pretty bad one yesterday. :fish:

#7 Cold_H2O

Cold_H2O

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,498 posts
  • Logged Dives:lost count but back to keeping a log.

Posted 27 May 2007 - 08:05 PM

She would hate my house. I have gear scattered every where.

I have one bathroom that I use for gear cleaning.
It either soaking in the tub or hanging around the tub drying.
You have to move gear to take a bath. :fish:

My tanks are all lined up by the front door. (Its usually 4 but for the last year or so its been 5 tanks)

I can't think of an easier way to test a temp gauge than in the fridge.
I could see her getting upset if you had moved food out to make space.
I have had a lot worse in my fridge/freezer.

I guess it takes a diver to understand a diver. :diver:
Well Behave Women Rarely Make History ~ Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Formerly known as gis_gal and name tattoo'd for a small bribe!

#8 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts
  • Cert Level:Course Director; CCR Instructor
  • Logged Dives:2000+

Posted 27 May 2007 - 10:16 PM

My tanks are all lined up by the front door. (Its usually 4 but for the last year or so its been 5 tanks)

Now, that's my kind of woman! :diver:
"The most important thing is not to stop questioning." Albert Einstein

"For the diligent diver, closed circuit rebreathers are actually safer than open circuit scuba." Tom Mount

#9 BubbleBoy

BubbleBoy

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW + Deep, Wreck, Drysuit, Navigation, Night, Rescue, Nitrox Specialties
  • Logged Dives:300+

Posted 28 May 2007 - 04:51 AM

gis gal,
I read your post to my wife and she calmed down a bit. I think I will send her to you for a couple of weeks of awareness training.

Turned out she was partly just lobbying to go out to dinner. We did that and things are OK again.

I'm going diving at Dutch Springs again today, so, we'll see if she still feels the same by the time I get home.
BB

When you make fish laugh, they can't bite you.

#10 shadragon

shadragon

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD / DM / Solo
  • Logged Dives:534' ish

Posted 28 May 2007 - 05:20 AM

Turned out she was partly just lobbying to go out to dinner. We did that and things are OK again.

That made no sense to me at all until I turned on my web-based feminine logic filter which snapped everything about this incident into crystal clarity for me...

I did a bit of playing around with various scenarios and their resolutions:

- Wetsuit in linen closet = Day at the spa.

- Salt water drips across the kitchen floor = A new dress.

- Car trunk smells like decomposed seaweed = A new dress + earrings + that cute bag in the window.

- Dive knife in the butter dish = My sister is coming for a week.
Remember, email is an inefficient communications forum. You may not read things the way it was intended. Give people the benefit of the doubt before firing back... Especially if it is ME...! ;)

Tech Support - The hard we do right away; the impossible takes us a little longer...

"I like ponies on no-stop diving. They convert "ARGH!! I'M GOING TO DIE" into a mere annoyance." ~Nigel Hewitt

#11 Capn Jack

Capn Jack

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts
  • Board Status:Working to fund the next trip
  • Cert Level:YMCA in 65, dove till 79, returned in 2002... now will work for air and/or beer as a DM
  • Logged Dives:not enough

Posted 28 May 2007 - 05:53 AM

I thought this was not a dating site.... don't tell SWMBO, but you are stressing my vows.
No aquarium, no tank in a marine land, however spacious it may be, can begin to duplicate the conditions of the sea. And no dolphin who inhabits one of those aquariums or one of those marine lands can be considered normal.
Jacques Yves Cousteau

#12 Latitude Adjustment

Latitude Adjustment

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts
  • Cert Level:EanX
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 28 May 2007 - 06:49 AM

BB, your wife needs to see my ex's fridge. You need to be carefull looking for leftovers in there because next to them are the frozen mice and rats for her snake collection :fish:
I, Latitude Adjustment (insert log in name), do hereby swear, (politely), that I shall not hold SingleDivers, (SD), nor any SD poster, (real or imagined), liable, nor shall I seek legal restitution, (real or imagined), for any perceived, (real or imagined), offenses I may incur, (or Incurrrrrrrrrr on talk like a pirate day), that may or may not be posted on this or any SCUBA related board, (real or imagined), by anyone, (real or imagined), anywhere, (real or imagined). Further, I void any right to privacy, (real or imagined), as it may, or may not relate to any posting, (real or imagined), about me, to me, for me, because of me, all about me, my dog, my cat, my bird, my monkey, my family, (real or imagined), my friends, (real or imagined), or my world, (real or imagined).

By all that is wet, I do hereby swear, (politely), and attest, upon pain of never diving again, (real or imagined), that I understand and affirm, that I agree to the above.

_________________________________________(log in name signature)
Signed and Dated

#13 Cold_H2O

Cold_H2O

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,498 posts
  • Logged Dives:lost count but back to keeping a log.

Posted 28 May 2007 - 09:51 AM

gis gal,
I read your post to my wife and she calmed down a bit. I think I will send her to you for a couple of weeks of awareness training.

I'm going diving at Dutch Springs again today, so, we'll see if she still feels the same by the time I get home.

BB ~ Send her out. I am sure I can talk DG into coming up to assist me in the awareness training. :birthday:
The question is could your wife handle the two of us :)

I will take no responsibility for the condition she is in when we return her :cheerleader:
You will have to sign a waiver.

I have always found it easier to just admit I want to go out dinner ~ a brief " I don't feel like cooking ~ want to go out and get dinner" works best.

Than again..... maybe there is a reason I am single. :cheerleader:

Edited by gis_gal, 28 May 2007 - 09:52 AM.

Well Behave Women Rarely Make History ~ Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Formerly known as gis_gal and name tattoo'd for a small bribe!

#14 netmage

netmage

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts
  • Cert Level:Tech & Cave
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 28 May 2007 - 11:46 AM

gis gal,

BB ~ Send her out. I am sure I can talk DG into coming up to assist me in the awareness training. :birthday:
The question is could your wife handle the two of us :)

I will take no responsibility for the condition she is in when we return her :cheerleader:
You will have to sign a waiver.

I have always found it easier to just admit I want to go out dinner ~ a brief " I don't feel like cooking ~ want to go out and get dinner" works best.

Than again..... maybe there is a reason I am single. :cheerleader:

Wait a second... no veiled signals? Talks straight, obvious and to the point.... and she dives....

I think I'm in love......
"I aim to misbehave...."

#15 shadragon

shadragon

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD / DM / Solo
  • Logged Dives:534' ish

Posted 28 May 2007 - 11:50 AM

Wait a second... no veiled signals? Talks straight, obvious and to the point.... and she dives....

I think I'm in love......

Run, Netmage RUN...!!! It HAS to be a trick...!
Remember, email is an inefficient communications forum. You may not read things the way it was intended. Give people the benefit of the doubt before firing back... Especially if it is ME...! ;)

Tech Support - The hard we do right away; the impossible takes us a little longer...

"I like ponies on no-stop diving. They convert "ARGH!! I'M GOING TO DIE" into a mere annoyance." ~Nigel Hewitt

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users