• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Boat Size for Gulf of Mexico Fishing - Need Help

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Houston Squid

Houston Squid

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts
  • Cert Level:National Geographic OW, AOW, Nitrox (IANTD)
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 05 June 2007 - 05:20 AM

I have a friend looking into buying a boat that he wants to take into the Gulf of Mexico. He is looking at a 21 foot Key Largo. I am thinking going 30 miles out in the Gulf to fish in a boat that size might be a little too ambitious.

What do you think?

Obviously, I am talking leaving shore with confidence in the weather and everything going as planned. But I also wonder how much bad weather a boat could take if he got caught out in a surprise thunder storm and high winds.

Here are details about the boat style: CLICK HERE -- to see boats specs

Posted Image
Signature under construction :)

#2 divzac

divzac

Diving Guru

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI IDC Staff Instructor / Captain. I either dive or drive often in the Palm Beaches
  • Logged Dives:I kinda got lazy after a couple hundred

Posted 05 June 2007 - 06:17 AM

First, this are just my thoughts regarding the 21' boat thing. NO!! Others may disagree.... Speaking "generically" I would suggest a minimum of around 25' to 30' the more the merrier. There is usually a big difference between 21 and 24' besides just the 3 feet. I would not venture farther off shore than my radio (x2) will allow in poor conditions without two engines or a buddy. Seas can build in a matter of hours to minutes out there. Plan for the return trip into the inlet. Just because it is nice when you leave, things can change differently @ every inlet. Make sure that you have purchased towing insurance as well. If you use the towing rider on your insurance you will most likely have to pay up front and make a claim later, so I say spend the $100 for a year for WHEN you break down. Remember it's a boat, it will break. Lastly, make an investment in your education. If you have not already done so, take a free boating class sponsored by the USCG. ....Remember, these are just my thoughts. Make it a great day! Capt. Zach
I wanna be the person that my dog thinks I am

Check out the SPREE...come dive with us!

charlies@singledivers.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users