• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Drysuit Do's and Don'ts

• Please log in to reply
126 replies to this topic

#1 annasea

annasea

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 01:47 PM

Well, I'm tentatively scheduled to start my drysuit class mid-July.

Here's the set-up...

I'll be learning in my BP/W, reg and Jets, and borrowing a trilam suit, undies and hood from the LDS. I've got a pair of 5mm gloves, and my BP is around 5#. In addition, I've got an additional 8# in DSS weight plates I can bolt onto the BP, and weight pockets that can hold up to 16# total attached to my harness at the waist so hopefully I won't have to wear my dreaded weightbelt on top of all this. My wing is (only) 30# but the instructor I spoke to said the suit has buoyancy as well so I should be OK.

Does anyone have any tips, tricks or advice they'd care to share? I'm no *water baby* so any suggestions (or words of encouragement :thankyou: ) will be greatly appreciated!

TIA!

#2 gcbryan

gcbryan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts
  • Logged Dives:620

Posted 03 July 2007 - 02:12 PM

Well, I'm tentatively scheduled to start my drysuit class mid-July.

Here's the set-up...

I'll be learning in my BP/W, reg and Jets, and borrowing a trilam suit, undies and hood from the LDS. I've got a pair of 5mm gloves, and my BP is around 5#. In addition, I've got an additional 8# in DSS weight plates I can bolt onto the BP, and weight pockets that can hold up to 16# total attached to my harness at the waist so hopefully I won't have to wear my dreaded weightbelt on top of all this. My wing is (only) 30# but the instructor I spoke to said the suit has buoyancy as well so I should be OK.

Does anyone have any tips, tricks or advice they'd care to share? I'm no *water baby* so any suggestions (or words of encouragement :D ) will be greatly appreciated!

TIA!

If you are using steel tanks your set-up is similar to mind. I do use a belt with 22 lbs but if I added the 8lb DSS add-on plate I would be at 14lbs. I'm 6'1" 180lbs so you will certainly be using less than me so if you like the weight pockets you won't have to use a belt.

It sounds like your class will include time in the pool as well as OW. In the pool you will learn how to right yourself if you get in a feet first orientation. Once you practice it a few times in the pool it will not be a problem in OW. I've never had this problem occur other than when made to happen in class.

You will need to learn to anticipate depth changes since you are now a big, air filled baggie. I would only put air into the suit however to releave suit squeeze and a little air is needed for your undergarments to loft properly. Use your wing for everything else and their won't be much air in your suit to have to manage.

You will need a dive or so to get used to the colder water and poorer viz. Since you are a newer diver it will take a few dives before you totally get the hang of it so stay in shallower waters at first just in case you do ascend when you hadn't planned to.

You may have to play with layering your undergarments if you aren't warm enough. Once you get this down you will find that you live in a great area for diving.

I'm going up next week I believe for a dive at Ansell Point, just outside of W. Vancouver. For even better diving you can go to Vancouver Island (especially Quadra). The diving in the winter at Quadra is the best diving I've done yet.

I'm glad to answer any specific drysuit questions. I use a trilam type of drysuit and dive with the same equipment set-up more or less as you and in the same waters.

#3 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 02:18 PM

This should be a fun thread!

Call up the shop and ask them what kind of undergarments they use. Find out the brand and the "weight" or thickness. With all that neoprene you had, you might take OFF weight when you dive dry. This is only half a joke, some people coming out of 2 piece 7mm suits into trilams with low loft undergarments do take weight off.

Find out if the drysuit has boots or not. Make sure you get something that fits your feet. It won't be exact. Get yourself some thick wool socks, and some wicking socks. A good outdoor store, or hiking store will have these. Personally, I like Smartwool socks and WigWam socks. Layering is important.

If there is a small, circular, metal object on the thigh of your suit, don't touch it.

See if you can get a nice drysuit hood to rent while your at it. A large part of staying warm in cold water is protecting your noggin. You may need to adjust your mask to fit.

Some drysuit courses instruct you to use the drysuit for buoyancy control, and not to mess with the BC. This will make it exceedingly difficult to learn, but is something you should practice anyway. No one I know in the technical community does this, and most recreational divers I know don't do it either. It's foolish. If this is NOT taught, be prepared to feel the "squeeze". It will be uncomfortable at first. You get used to it. Just add enough gas to the suit to make it tolerable and give you full motion.

Drysuits come in self-donning (front zip) and back-zip. Try both. I bought a self-donning and prefer it, but when the zipper breaks, it will cost more to repair. I like dressing myself, so I went this route.

I'm sure they will talk about this in your class, but put on your undergarment, then go through a series of stretching excercises to make sure the thing doesn't limit your motion. Touch your toes, reach back with both hands and reach as far down your back as possible. Reach your hands up to the sky while someone holds the suit down at the waist. Squat and hug your knees. You should be able to do all this without the undergarment riding up your arms or up your legs. Put the suit on, and do the same excercises. You should have the same range of motion. A rental won't be perfect. A bit too big is preferable to small.

Prepare to modify your regulator. You'll need to add a 30" hose to it that goes to the drysuit inflator. They will probably help you with this at the shop.

HAVE FUN! Everybody, looks like a dope when they do their first drysuit sessions. You'll get flipped upside down, you'll end up feet up, and on your head, and you'll look silly. Take solace in the fact we all do it. Just laugh at yourself and others and enjoy it. I remember my first real attempt to dive my drysuit and ending up doing the "lawn dart" pose for 5 minutes trying to straighten myself out. My cavern buddies thought it was hilarious. I was about to cry because I knew I'd have to get out in the 38F air and dive wet.

Oh, and be sure to get pictures!

#4 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 02:21 PM

I'm going up next week I believe for a dive at Ansell Point, just outside of W. Vancouver. For even better diving you can go to Vancouver Island (especially Quadra). The diving in the winter at Quadra is the best diving I've done yet.

There are VERY few places on Earth I would travel to jump in saltwater with no wrecks, but Quadra is one of them, and I hope to get there one day. That place is STUNNING, and it's in her back yard.

#5 cmt489

cmt489

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,346 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:75+

Posted 03 July 2007 - 03:15 PM

My first recommendation - if it is a back entry, don't live alone, drink wine and then try it on...

As for the other stuff, my understanding is that the tri-lam is easier than the crushed neophrene that I have plus it requires less weight. With that being said, you will likely be surprised how much more weight you will need. Be careful not to get air trapped in your arms and legs while ascending as this will cut down on your ability to control you ascent. I also found that I had the sensation of being out of control and thrown around when I first tried my suit. In fact, on my third drysuit dive (my first one with Nicolle) I panicked for the first and only (so far) time in my life while diving as some trapped air made me feel like I was being turtled and I could not right myself. Don't give up just because you are not comfortable at first because it does get better. Another very helpful tip I have received is to leave your arm vent open to make venting easier.

Good luck!

#6 gcbryan

gcbryan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 03:35 PM

I agree with CMT489 regarding leave the exhaust vent open. I leave mine completely open all the time. It would only be a problem if you use your drysuit rather than your wing for all of your bouyancy control (as your air would be escaping much of the time).

If your drysuit has attached socks rather than attached boots you will have even less problem with getting light in the feet. Sometimes attached boots are too large and allow for more air to get into them than you would like. If you have attached socks then you can fill up the air pocket completely with a couple of pairs of wicking socks as mentioned above.

Edited by gcbryan, 03 July 2007 - 03:36 PM.

#7 mlmarlow

mlmarlow

Getting started

• Pip
  • 20 posts
  • Cert Level:AOWI
  • Logged Dives:300+

Posted 03 July 2007 - 04:30 PM

First, forget almost everything you know about buoyancy control. (Only half kidding). Personally, I use my drysuit for buoyancy during the dive, and the BC on the surface. If you get your weighting exactly right, this will be easier and more comfortable. The feet first pose is an interesting one. I have only ended up in it once (unintentionally that is). A hint, don't do a back roll entry in a dry suit. I almost drowned laughing at myself, and the guys on the surface really enjoyed the fins sticking out of the water.

As for fit, only one thing to add. You may need to get different fins depending on the size of the boots on the suit. I had to go up two sizes of fins for mine. Most of all, have fun, and enjoy being warm when everyone else is freezing.

Mike
Mike Marlow
SSI AOWI
San Antonio, TX

#8 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts
  • Cert Level:Course Director; CCR Instructor
  • Logged Dives:2000+

Posted 03 July 2007 - 06:28 PM

The drysuit is to keep you dry. The wing is for buoyancy. I don't care if anyone else does it differently. :D
"The most important thing is not to stop questioning." Albert Einstein

"For the diligent diver, closed circuit rebreathers are actually safer than open circuit scuba." Tom Mount

#9 BubbleBoy

BubbleBoy

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW + Deep, Wreck, Drysuit, Navigation, Night, Rescue, Nitrox Specialties
  • Logged Dives:300+

Posted 03 July 2007 - 07:07 PM

The drysuit is to keep you dry. The wing is for buoyancy. I don't care if anyone else does it differently. :D

I haven't even bought my drysuit yet, but, this seems better to me too. I was surprized when I demoed a drysuit a few weeks back that they told us to do otherwise, i.e, empty the BCD and control buoyancy with the suit. I can see where that might lead to problems.

If you use your drysuit for buoyancy control, you have to adjust the volume of gas in it as you move up and down in the water column, assuming you have other compressibles in your rig. For deeper dives, that could mean you end up with a lot of excess gas inside your suit and a greater liklihood of getting a big bubble of it somewhere you don't want it, like your feet, or your butt (not sexy).

Frankly, I'm a little surprised that no one has developed a control valve that would maintain constant guage pressure and volume of gas inside your drysuit. That's a fairly easy thing to do, and seems like it would solve most of the problem. Once you get your suit comfort level the way you like it you just leave it alone, and the valve automatically injects and vents gas necessary to keep its volume constant.

Have any manufacturers ever tried anything like this?
BB

When you make fish laugh, they can't bite you.

#10 netmage

netmage

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts
  • Cert Level:Tech & Cave
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 03 July 2007 - 07:25 PM

The first five dives or so will feel like your swimming in a hefty cinch sack. No one jumped in the water day 1 and did everything perfect. Practice makes perfect, and a drysuit will open up allot more local diving opportunities in your area, so this is really good.

Leave the valve all the way open, or maybe 1 click closed. Add enough air to take the squeeze off, you may get some 'hicky' marks along your neck... Just keeps everyone guessing who you've been hanging out with late at night, or maybe thats the secret to cmt489's "Whips and Chains".... :D

I use shell suits. I have a trilam (TLS) and a polyester/coudura (CLX). I just sent the CLX off for a new zipper, its not as bad as you'd think Perrone in the grand scheme of diving costs... My TLS has leaks and needs seals replaced, and a few inches taken off the arms. When I pick up the CLX post zipper, I'm going to drop off the TLS for a full seal replacement and patching. Technically you could say I dive wet, cuz I'm never dry. I use heavy weezles designed for 30 degree water, and in the springs I'm good when moving, but when we stop for deco, my teeth are chattering like I'm chipping ice in no time. Giving some thought to a new suit from Dive Rite; their offering includes the add-ons us tech divers want, pockets, suspenders, etc.... Pricing is decent, and now that they have a self-donning option, makes me think hard... Maybe I'll see what the new zipper is like 1st.

-Tim
"I aim to misbehave...."

#11 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 08:24 PM

Tim,

Give the USIA a look before you buy a Dive Rite. I looked into the Dive Rite, and it wasn't even close in my estimation.

If your Weezle Extreme + isn't keeping you warm, you might want to look into a new one. They compress and get old over time. I took an Extreme in to 70F water for 20 minutes and just cruised around. When I got out I was soaked in sweat. I'd die in the Plus.

#12 annasea

annasea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 08:43 PM

Wow, great replies, everyone! :D And especially thank you for emphasizing that no one gets it right the first time. Oh, the tears you've saved. :P

To address a few queries...

I believe the suit I'll be using is a trilam by Pinnacle. (The only seem to carry Pinnacle.) I had a look at the undies they sell (sorry, I didn't get the brand), but they were grey on the outside and fluffy on the inside. The suits all appeared to be back zip and the boots are attached. They provide hoods but I'm not sure if they're drysuit specific.

I didn't think to ask about the tanks I'll be using, but I'll do that once my class starts. I'm guessing AL in the pool at least. :lmao:

No back roll entries for me -- my training dives are shore dives. :(

Thx so much for mentioning the inflator hose, Perrone! Finally, a use for the hoses that came with my reg! :)

And most importantly, adjusting buoyancy with the BC versus the suit. I actually did ask the instructor at the shop about it, and I believe he said PADI teaches to adjust buoyancy with the suit rather than the BC as it's one less thing to worry about. I will suggest that I'd prefer to learn otherwise and see what happens. If s/he isn't too keen on this idea, I'll try to learn the *right* way from my NAUI AOW instructor. :)

Oh, and be sure to get pictures!

Oh, dear lord...

#13 gcbryan

gcbryan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 09:20 PM

PADI does mention to use the suit primarily but most instructors don't care which way you go. It's easy enough to change once the class is over. I did.

I find it easier to route the inflator hose through my arm strap. If you forget to connect it for what ever reason after you hit the water and the inflate button does do anything if will be easy to fix the problem as the hose will be right there.

Drysuit hoods just don't have a large bib like wetsuit hoods since you won't be tucking them in.

#14 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 10:17 PM

Pinnacle makes nice drysuits. The backzip are the older models. The new Pinnacle Evo2 is a AWESOME suit, and was my second choice behind the USIA. It's likely they have the Pinnacle undergarments too, which I have one of. They'll probably put you in the Pinnacle Evolution, which is what I have. The Pinnacle MERINO Evolution is the thick one, and should be suitable for ice diving. These are Thinsulate undergarments and have very low loft, but remember my warning about washing. Since this is just a class, no need for worry about that.

GCBryan's advice about tucking the hose through the armhole is a good one. I'd certainly follow that advice. And let's hope they don't stick you with an AL80. That's about the worst tank I can think of for diving dry.

One more thing about drysuit inflator hoses. There are some that have a small restrictor in them. These are designed to not allow so much air to flow into the suit. If your regulator fails and starts freeflowing air into the drysuit, you don't want a full flow. I'm not sure what you'll have in class, but when you buy your own suit, try to get a drysuit specific one. 999 times out of 1000 it won't matter. But that one time, you'll be glad you have it.

#15 annasea

annasea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 10:20 PM

Thx for the additional info, Gray!

And let's hope they don't stick you with an AL80.

I won't be one bit surprised if they did. :D

One thing I just thought of that no one has mentioned -- the unmentionables. Depends, Tenas... what are people using and why? (I like to keep myself well-hydrated so this is definitely a must. :lmao: )

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users