• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

problem with water in ears???

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#16 Scuba Nymph

Scuba Nymph

Getting started

• Pip
  • 29 posts
  • Cert Level:Divemaster
  • Logged Dives:90

Posted 06 July 2007 - 12:09 PM

P.S. My ENT also told me to never put peroxide in my ears!
Happiness is an inside job.

#17 DandyDon

DandyDon

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox / Scientific / Rescue / TDI Decompression
  • Logged Dives:351 dives, mostly ocean

Posted 06 July 2007 - 12:11 PM

Yeah, I don't know how that peroxide additive got started. You see it suggested, but bad idea - as I said, damaging when fresh; just dilutes the mix after it turns to water - which probly happens in sort time.
What would Patton do...? Posted Image

Yeah I know: I've been branded a non-group person - doesn't play well with others. I am so upset. Posted Image Let me know if you want to have some fun, without the drama - I'm good for that.

#18 OHDiver

OHDiver

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:150+

Posted 06 July 2007 - 12:38 PM

[quote name='DandyDon' date='Jul 6 2007, 01:30 PM' post='184796']
[quote name='ScubaPunk' post='184794' date='Jul 6 2007, 12:01 PM']
[quote name='OHDiver' post='184776' date='Jul 6 2007, 10:53 AM']
Although I have been diving for close to seven years now, I've noticed only recently, I am having trouble with water in my ears... I suddenly have a little bit of trouble equalizing also... Although I can usually get the equalizing under control fairly quick... The worst of it is the water in my ears... Heck, I can't even take a shower these days without having the same problem (although much worse while diving of course)... It feels as though my ears are blocked up for hours (if not days) after diving... Quite frustrating!
Any suggestions?

[/quote]
Based on the bold words in your post, I like Punky's suggestion. What changed recently? Ok, so try DAN's approach, but keep the ENT in mind. See him next...!
[/quote]

What changed recently? The only thing I was able to think of (that I DID share with DAN) is while diving in Roatan this past September, I suddenly started having ear pain... I went to see the doctor there at the resort, who told me I had a level 3 baro trauma in one ear and a level 1 in the other... Surprise, surprise, as I certainly don't recall having any trouble equalizing on any of my dives... Just the sudden pain and "blocked" feeling... Needless to say... I took that last day off from diving... DAN guy wasn't sure if this had anything to do with my current problems... Although, it sure makes sense to me that it would... As my ear problems have been since then... The good thing is there is no pain associated with it... One more reason I want to nip this in the bud so to speak... I do have an appointment with my primary care physician next week... I'll be sure to have him check and double check my ears...
Karen~

What would you attempt to do if you knew you could not fail?

#19 OHDiver

OHDiver

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 12:40 PM

OOSY! :cool: Messed up on the quotes in that last one... Sorry... Have NO CLUE how to fix it or I would
Karen~

#20 ev780

ev780

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 06:54 PM

Also your sinuses and ears are intimately connected. So any sinus issue can manifest itself as an ear problem. Just something else to look into.

Fred
"I'd rather die while I am living, than live when I'm dead" Jimmy Buffett and the Coral Reefers

#21 DandyDon

DandyDon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 08:12 PM

Although I have been diving for close to seven years now, I've noticed only recently, I am having trouble with water in my ears... I suddenly have a little bit of trouble equalizing also... Although I can usually get the equalizing under control fairly quick... The worst of it is the water in my ears... Heck, I can't even take a shower these days without having the same problem (although much worse while diving of course)... It feels as though my ears are blocked up for hours (if not days) after diving... Quite frustrating!
Any suggestions?

Based on the bold words in your post, I like Punky's suggestion. What changed recently? Ok, so try DAN's approach, but keep the ENT in mind. See him next...!

What changed recently? The only thing I was able to think of (that I DID share with DAN) is while diving in Roatan this past September, I suddenly started having ear pain... I went to see the doctor there at the resort, who told me I had a level 3 baro trauma in one ear and a level 1 in the other... Surprise, surprise, as I certainly don't recall having any trouble equalizing on any of my dives... Just the sudden pain and "blocked" feeling... Needless to say... I took that last day off from diving... DAN guy wasn't sure if this had anything to do with my current problems... Although, it sure makes sense to me that it would... As my ear problems have been since then... The good thing is there is no pain associated with it... One more reason I want to nip this in the bud so to speak... I do have an appointment with my primary care physician next week... I'll be sure to have him check and double check my ears...

(hehe, you removed Punky's quotes without remove her first quote symbol, but we got it)

Ok, so we can't say why you had a barotrauma - but you did. Again, if the DAN suggestions don't resolve this totally, work with your ENT or regular Doc at least. As suggested, could be ear wax, sinus problems, a new allergy, many possibilities.

Edited by DandyDon, 06 July 2007 - 08:14 PM.

Yeah I know: I've been branded a non-group person - doesn't play well with others. I am so upset. Posted Image Let me know if you want to have some fun, without the drama - I'm good for that.

#22 OHDiver

OHDiver

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 09:56 AM

Come to think of it... I have been having more allergy problems than normal this year... OK... I'm thinking you guys are on to something now... :cool1:
Thanks!

Karen~

#23 DandyDon

DandyDon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 10:30 AM

Come to think of it... I have been having more allergy problems than normal this year... OK... I'm thinking you guys are on to something now... :cool1:
Thanks!

Hehe, pseudophedrine is such a daily part of my life, maybe I don't suggest possible allergies often enough. And allergy doc once told me that I wouldn't be allergic to anything in Hawaii as an example, until I lived there a few months and developed the reactions. Always possible to get new ones. He was wrong, tho - I had a problem with the rain mold in the wet areas.

Allergies, sinuses, E-tubes, ears - all one big concern for some of us. This could be what changed in your life that affected you as you continued your usual diving actions.

BTW, if you discuss allergy meds with a doc, Sudafed, Benadryl, Claratin, and others are now brand names that include various chemicals - some of which don't even have the one originally yielding the name. Be careful about discussions and selections based on brand names.

#24 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts
  • Board Status:Omnes Qui Errant Non Pereunt!
  • Cert Level:Rec: DM -- Tec: Ext Range
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 07 July 2007 - 04:30 PM

one word of advice on sudafed (with psuedaphedrine -sp?) and diving with nitrox is be careful as there is some research that say that it can increase the likely hood of CNS toxicity/hit problems. I believe DAN has some info on it, but you would need to ask the medics for the latest data on that; This maybe less of a concern now that psuedaphedrine isnt in a majority of the allergy meds anymore because of meth addicts and producers.

For me atleast with nitrox is that i use psuedaphedrine if i really need it as i dont want to roll the dive on a a CNS hit, i will take it slow on descent so i dont mess my ears up.

FWIW & IMHO

Tooth

A Novus Dies Has Adveho.... Occupo Dies

Where in the World is Tooth? ... Catch Me It You Can!

Traveling the World, Diving, and Photography, on my days off from saving lives as a Paramedic

#25 DandyDon

DandyDon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 06:57 PM

one word of advice on sudafed (with psuedaphedrine -sp?) and diving with nitrox is be careful as there is some research that say that it can increase the likely hood of CNS toxicity/hit problems. I believe DAN has some info on it, but you would need to ask the medics for the latest data on that;

Pseudophendrine/PSE: Isn't that still taught in Nitrox courses?

This maybe less of a concern now that psuedaphedrine isnt in a majority of the allergy meds anymore because of meth addicts and producers.

Which makes the new OTC meds less effective - for me anyway. My pharmacy still gets the PSE for me with the antihistamine I prefer in the same pill.

For me atleast with nitrox is that i use psuedaphedrine if i really need it as i dont want to roll the dive on a a CNS hit, i will take it slow on descent so i dont mess my ears up.

FWIW & IMHO

Tooth

Not clear on your message there at the last....?

#26 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts
  • Board Status:Omnes Qui Errant Non Pereunt!
  • Cert Level:Rec: DM -- Tec: Ext Range
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 07 July 2007 - 07:03 PM

i will only use pse as a last resort if i have to dive(helping with a class or a real important dive (U352 etc) as using it leaves a chance open to having a toxicity hit underwater (seizure), when diving with nitrox because of the interaction thats possible. does that make sense?

CNS = Central Nervous System
FWIW = For What Its Worth
IMHO In My humble/honest Opinion

Tooth

A Novus Dies Has Adveho.... Occupo Dies

Where in the World is Tooth? ... Catch Me It You Can!

Traveling the World, Diving, and Photography, on my days off from saving lives as a Paramedic

#27 DandyDon

DandyDon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 08:54 PM

i will only use pse as a last resort if i have to dive(helping with a class or a real important dive (U352 etc) as using it leaves a chance open to having a toxicity hit underwater (seizure), when diving with nitrox because of the interaction thats possible. does that make sense?

CNS = Central Nervous System
FWIW = For What Its Worth
IMHO In My humble/honest Opinion

Tooth

ok, gotcha - I stumbled a bit on the sentence structure, but not criticizing - probly me. I'm about the same. I avoid PSE on Nitrox dives, but might resort to using it with a stronger respect for MOD.

Edited by DandyDon, 07 July 2007 - 08:55 PM.

#28 OHDiver

OHDiver

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 05:52 PM

Ear blockage update...

OK... tried the DAN suggestion for a few days... Did a dive during that time, still felt like I was getting water in the ear canal, but didn't get the totally blocked up feeling this time... :cool1:
Also... Since then...
Had a visit with my family practice doc and told him about it... He checked my ears... Said they looked good however he did recommend a couple of different "allergy" meds because of those and a couple of other symptoms I am having... I've been on them for a couple of days and I'm feeling better (all around) already... I do plan on checking with DAN to see if the meds I'm now taking will be a problem while diving...
I go on a dive trip in another week... I'll be sure to let you know how my ears cooperate...
Thanks for all the advice!

Karen~

#29 DandyDon

DandyDon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 06:29 PM

...however he did recommend a couple of different "allergy" meds because of those and a couple of other symptoms I am having... I've been on them for a couple of days and I'm feeling better (all around) already.

Great, I'd be curious to know what he gave you, if you have the generic names...?

#30 OHDiver

OHDiver

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 08:51 PM

...however he did recommend a couple of different "allergy" meds because of those and a couple of other symptoms I am having... I've been on them for a couple of days and I'm feeling better (all around) already.

Great, I'd be curious to know what he gave you, if you have the generic names...?

I have no idea what the generic names are... I suppose you could ask your doc or call your local pharmacy... However...
He gave me samples to try (and said, if they do the job, he will write a Rx for them) of Zyrtec (cetirizine HCL) tabs and Nasacort AQ (triamcinolone acetonide) nasal spray... Supposedly my nasal membranes looked rather inflamed too... Although I didn't feel stuffed up... At least my nose didn't... :cheerleader:
It's definitely starting to help the itchy eyes, sneezing and ears already...Although I can tell when the meds have worn off... My eyes start to bother me later in the day and when I wake up, until I take the meds again...

Karen~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users