• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

SD vs Flower Gardens 2007

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#1 Bubble2Bubble

Bubble2Bubble

Arkansas HH Planner

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • Board Status:Surface Interval Starting 08/2009
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver, Medic, Emergency First Responder, CPR/AED-Oxygen, Dry Suit, Nitrox.
  • Logged Dives:500+ Studing for my DM

Posted 19 July 2007 - 07:02 PM

Flower Gardens diving.

A Great SD Trip !
First about the diving. Anywhere in the world where you are 100 miles offshore you are going to be faced with ever changing currents and weather conditions and the Flower Gardens is no exception. A typical dive on this trip to 87ft consist of a giant stride entry with about a 6 foot drop then a 15 to 20 ft surface swim horizontal through the current until you reach the down line, then you pull yourself down the line until you reach the bottom. The bottom current on this trip was very slow to medium in strength but can change directions at a drop of the hat so you just cant go diving into the current and plan on drifting back. rather keeping a visual on where you are would work best. even the most seasoned divers can become humbled here. (insert beautiful coral and awesome creatures and fish here) Exiting is pretty much the same but in reverse except for the latter line and latter. When you release from the down line you will have to dash quickly over to latter line and remove your fins and pull yourself up to the base of the latter then while holding onto the latter with both hands then plant your feet at the bottom of the latter then exit. You will be asked for your name, bottom depth and time.

Dos Boat

MV Spree is a well thought out diving boat with state of the art safety features and equipment. Its owned and operated by the Captain Frank and Melanie his wife. Both of them work together to make the flower gardens diving a safe and memorable time for everyone. The Spree is a Nitrox only boat for an extra measure of safety.
It has bunk style sleeping with plenty of room to find a spot for some quite time if necessary . the food is plentiful and good. The Crew on this trip where beyond professional in service and overall caring. After leaving the dock a briefing is given by the captain and crew to educate you about the boats features and the most successful way to enter and exit the water along with info on the wonderful things you are on your way to see with plenty of room during the briefing to ask questions etc….. in a nutshell…

Dive… Eat… Sleep….Repeat

Congrats to the new to SD members some where even new to Diving ...you made it look easy :canada:

(insert pictures and more info here later )

Bubski

Edited by Bubble2Bubble, 19 July 2007 - 07:28 PM.

Dive into Life and Live for Diving!
no trees were harmed while posting any of my messages,
however a significant number of electrons were inconvenienced.

Buy Lawn Mower and Chain Saw Parts at...
Amazon.com

#2 pir8

pir8

Dive Pros Forum Admin

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,670 posts
  • Cert Level:MI
  • Logged Dives:Lost Track of um

Posted 19 July 2007 - 07:24 PM

A great time was had by all.
Also congratulations are due to:
Jim aka Kelp Diver for compleating his Deep Diver, Boat Diver and UnderH2O Sign Language certifications.
Charles aka Houston Squid for compleating his Deep Diver, Night Diver and UnderH2O Sign Language certifications.
Sandy aka ScubaPunk for compleating her UnderH2O Sign Language certification.
Juli aka juliwithani for compleating her Nitrox certification.
Gwyn aka gmk for compleating her Nitrox certification.
It was a lot of hard work but we got them done.
Yes they were chalanging dives but well worth the effort.
Never say Never! Its almost as long a time as always!

#3 Capn Jack

Capn Jack

I spend too much time on line

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts
  • Board Status:Working to fund the next trip
  • Cert Level:YMCA in 65, dove till 79, returned in 2002... now will work for air and/or beer as a DM
  • Logged Dives:not enough

Posted 19 July 2007 - 07:42 PM

Also, the boat has added a new "Capn Jack memorial Bash Head Here" sign over the port rinse tank.

Great dives, excellent company, just too bad there wasn't enough food to go around... seriously, this boat is a feeder - I even had to take a notch out of my mask strap.

The Spree also makes a Naturalist part of most trips, and we were exceptionally fortunate with George Hank's expertise. Word to the wise, be respectful of his judgements.

Edited by Capn Jack, 19 July 2007 - 07:43 PM.

No aquarium, no tank in a marine land, however spacious it may be, can begin to duplicate the conditions of the sea. And no dolphin who inhabits one of those aquariums or one of those marine lands can be considered normal.
Jacques Yves Cousteau

#4 Cajun Diver

Cajun Diver

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,228 posts
  • Board Status:Local diving
  • Cert Level:Open water, nitrox, AOW
  • Logged Dives:900+

Posted 19 July 2007 - 08:01 PM

It was a great trip with a great crew and great people! :dance:

I want to thank Kamala :birthday: for letting me go on this trip - I learned more from you in 3 days of diving than I did in all of the classes I have taken. One day I hope to be half the diver you are :dance: :birthday:

Thanks also to Bob aka Pir8 for the night dive and tips!

Now for some pictures:

FG2007SingleDivers.JPG

Wreck Wench climbing aboard after the Tuesday morning dive:

WreckWench.JPG

The MV Fling - No George that's not our boat!

MVFling.JPG

Yep Bubski's right - Dive, :P Eat, Sleep, get seasick :birthday: repeat :lmao:

Edited by Cajun Diver, 19 July 2007 - 08:58 PM.

Houston, Tranquility Base here. The Eagle has landed. Neil Armstrong & Buzz Aldrin on the moon, Michael Collins in the command module orbiting -  July 20, 1969

It looks like it’s going to be another fine day - John Wayne

#5 ScubaPunk

ScubaPunk

Houston HH Planner + Angel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,029 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, NITROX
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 19 July 2007 - 08:10 PM

As always the FG trip was great. I'm really starting to feel at home on the Spree, and it was good to be back. :birthday: A Huge thank you to Capt. Frank, and Melanie and their crew, they did an awesome job. Also a special to mnjoe for being an awesome dive buddy, and keeping me out of trouble! The sign language class was a lot of fun, now I just need everyone I dive with to take the same class, so we can talk under water. The diving was a challenge, as is sometimes the case at the FG. The current was a little stronger than I've seen it before making the climb up the ladder a challenge. The dives were well worth the effort. We did see some sharks, and rays, no Mantas unfortunately. I'm sure someone will have some underwater pics to share. Here are a few of mine from topside:

FG2007_513.jpg Chuck

FG2007_527.jpg Life Jacket Safety Drill

FG2007_523.jpg Capt. Frank doing dishes. Short on help in the Galley, cause Dean was not able to make the trip.

FG2007_525.jpg Celebrating Keith's 100th dive.

FG2007_514.jpg Juliwithani

FG2007_519.jpg Sara, Butch, and Rosa

FG2007_518.jpg Jim, Keith, Paula, and Mark

FG2007_517.jpg Pir8 pronounced Pirate! aka Bob

FG2007_516.jpg Karl

Edited by ScubaPunk, 19 July 2007 - 08:12 PM.

#6 nurseshark

nurseshark

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW,Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:200

Posted 19 July 2007 - 08:57 PM

It was a great trip.
The conditions were rough but everybody on board were real troupers.
We did get in all the dives and saw some amazing stuff. My favorites were the friendly turtles , the silky sharks on the rig dive and our night dive on Stetson.
Some of you were newer to diving and should be giving yourself a pat on the back for the great strides you accomplished on this trip. :birthday: This was advanced diving and you guys all stepped up to the plate and did a great job!
The crew as usual was fabulous! We are always well taken care of.
:birthday: Capt Frank, Melanie and crew, You guys are awesome!

Edited by nurseshark, 19 July 2007 - 09:00 PM.

#7 DandyDon

DandyDon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox / Scientific / Rescue / TDI Decompression
  • Logged Dives:351 dives, mostly ocean

Posted 19 July 2007 - 09:29 PM

Good grief, I think I set a personal record for the worst pic of me ever. :birthday: "yeah that's Don, the really ugly one." Sorry, I was in pain.

Was a great trip, super boat & crew - all hands, fantastic SD.com divemates, and so much more. I am still exhausted, arms aching - got to get in better shape for sure, but a great adventure. My thanks to WWench, NShark, and SPunk for making it all happen on our end, to Capt Frank (got to love a skipper whose toenails match his hair), Melony, and the rest of the crew for making their part happen so well, special commendations to Judge George for his additions, and to you all who made it a wonderful experience...!

Posted Image

What would Patton do...? Posted Image

Yeah I know: I've been branded a non-group person - doesn't play well with others. I am so upset. Posted Image Let me know if you want to have some fun, without the drama - I'm good for that.

#8 Houston Squid

Houston Squid

• PipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts
  • Cert Level:National Geographic OW, AOW, Nitrox (IANTD)
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 19 July 2007 - 09:29 PM

I am just proud to say there was a 5-foot-7-inch smiling Squid seen on every dive.
Signature under construction :)

#9 Kelp Diver

Kelp Diver

Getting started

• Pip
  • 35 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue & Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:52

Posted 19 July 2007 - 09:50 PM

What a great trip! Thanks to all the SD members for making us newbies feel so welcome.

#10 pir8

pir8

Dive Pros Forum Admin

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,670 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 09:57 PM

I am just proud to say there was a 5-foot-7-inch smiling Squid seen on every dive.

Only a few of us to do all 11 dives.
Ya did good Squid.

#11 DandyDon

DandyDon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox / Scientific / Rescue / TDI Decompression
  • Logged Dives:351 dives, mostly ocean

Posted 19 July 2007 - 10:16 PM

Capt Frank's Report: http://www.spreeexpe...ly_16_18_07.asp

July 16, 17, 18 2007 Flower Gardens Trip Report by Captain Frank
Well, we loaded a group of Single Divers (singledivers.com) in Freeport for a three day Flower Gardens trip. The weather in July is supposed to be better than this, but we persevered through the 3-5 foot seas anyway. Since most of the divers had not been to the Flower Gardens before, we all survived through the long version of the briefing, and got underway for the west bank.

We arrived at the west bank at 0600 to be greeted by thunder, lightning, and 5 foot seas. The water is pretty warm for this time of year at 84, and it was cloudy and cool topside. Down below the current was running strong, which was to be the theme for the entire trip. Critters spotted included a monster black grouper, crevalle and horse-eyed jacks.

After two on the west bank, we moved on to HI-376A. There was a huge school (100 individuals) of silky sharks displaying mating behavior (shark bites on the sides of the females), but no mating was actually witnessed. There was a large friendly loggerhead turtle and a shyer hawksbill. The sergeant majors are defending their nests, and all of the usual small blennies were there also.

After 376A we moseyed over to the EFG where we saw the Manta rays, mating creole wrasse, reef sharks, and the ever present dog snappers on the night dive. The next morning, the seas had not calmed down, so we did a dive on the east bank then went straight to Stetson.

Stetson was a big hit, as always, and never fails to excite. Lots of southern stingrays were spotted, as well as slipper lobster, spiny lobster, free swimming eels, Mantis shrimp, displaying Sailfin blennies, and every angelfish under the sun. The weather didn’t really change the entire trip, but we hope for better on the next one.

Capt Frank
Freeport, Texas

What would Patton do...? Posted Image

Yeah I know: I've been branded a non-group person - doesn't play well with others. I am so upset. Posted Image Let me know if you want to have some fun, without the drama - I'm good for that.

#12 Ariesno1

Ariesno1

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:600

Posted 19 July 2007 - 10:50 PM

Hey, Bob, it was not just Squid and you, Keith and I did all 11 dives too :birthday:

It was a fantastic trip. I met old friends and made new ones. SD members are so :birthday:

And this time I did not miss my GYM. My arms got a great muscle conditioning on the down line. :dance:
Call me crazy, but I also enjoyed the challenge of getting on the boat in rough conditions.

George was a great dive buddy.
Sandy :birthday: so much for the rides.

My favorite dive was on the rig HI-376A. I would have loved to dive there for a whole day.

I am looking forward to do this trip again.

#13 Houston Squid

Houston Squid

• PipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts
  • Cert Level:National Geographic OW, AOW, Nitrox (IANTD)
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 20 July 2007 - 05:37 AM

Hey, Bob, it was not just Squid and you, Keith and I did all 11 dives too :twist:

It was a fantastic trip. I met old friends and made new ones. SD members are so :twist:

And this time I did not miss my GYM. My arms got a great muscle conditioning on the down line. :twist:
Call me crazy, but I also enjoyed the challenge of getting on the boat in rough conditions.

Sandy ;) so much for the rides.

My favorite dive was on the rig HI-376A. I would have loved to dive there for a whole day.

I know just how you feel I am a Gym Rat as well and never missed my Spinning Class.

The good news is last night at my local dive club meeting I found out I am no longer on the waiting list for another trip to the Flower Gardens in September. I am going back in two months.

The next trip is a leave Wednesday evening and return Sunday -- so an extra day of arm stretching for me.
Signature under construction :)

#14 Ariesno1

Ariesno1

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:600

Posted 20 July 2007 - 06:52 AM

The good news is last night at my local dive club meeting I found out I am no longer on the waiting list for another trip to the Flower Gardens in September. I am going back in two months.

Great! You are lucky. I have to wait till next year. ;)

#15 pir8

pir8

Dive Pros Forum Admin

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,670 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 07:51 AM

Didn't mean to imply that Squid and I were the only two to do all the dives but I wasn't sure who else did them all. I think it was only anther 3 or 4 divers that did but I'm not sure who else did that 1st night dive.
I would have to agree that the Rig Dive was my favorite of the trip. Definitly want to do this trip again.

Hey, Bob, it was not just Squid and you, Keith and I did all 11 dives too :twist:

It was a fantastic trip. I met old friends and made new ones. SD members are so :twist:

And this time I did not miss my GYM. My arms got a great muscle conditioning on the down line. :twist:

Sandy ;) so much for the rides.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users